[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507123 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: King reports Buzz had all but agreed on SMU job
« Reply #3050 on: April 25, 2012, 10:02:54 PM »
79-80 performance?  Packed house; great show.

Yep.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3051 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »
The Stray Cats on a Weds for $7.50 at a place across from Ricky's...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3052 on: April 25, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
The Stray Cats on a Weds for $7.50 at a place across from Ricky's...

The Palms always had good bands the 4 years I was there.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3053 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Anyone from the class of 83 remember the South Side Johnny concert at the Varsity?  It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

How about Alex Bevan....I'm just a skinny little boy from Cleveland Ohio.

Or Yipes....out in California, the kids are really cool...

Saw Bruce in 1982.   Third row seats, right in front of Clarence and Steve Van Zandt. Three hours, 4 encores.   Back in the day.

Anyone (of course we do) remember the anti disco protest in front of the Varsity?  Post Steve Dahl.
Went to the South Side Johnny concert and will have to plead guilty again. I let at least 5-6 empty Old Style bottles roll down the Varsity floor  ::). Did the Romantics play in that same concert at the Varsity? I too saw the Boss on '82 they kept on switching lights on an off to get him off the stage ;D. There was a riot at a Black Sabbath concert '79 or '80 fortunately didn't have enough $ to go.
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3054 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
The only thing I can think of as to why Milwaukee was such a hot music town in the 980's was the beer sponsorship money.  For Summerfest then too. Just odd what the Cream City and MU could pull in then for no good reason. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #3055 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
after reading the last few pages of this dialogue - I don't think anybody knows jack SHlT about what REALLY went down...  (and no I don't have any sources either)...   

done reading these threads, it's embarrassing the debate continues on SMU/Buzz...
+999999999999999
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread
« Reply #3056 on: April 26, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
So, anyone been fishing?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3057 on: April 26, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »
We were fortunate enough to book numerous regional acts for the weekly Brooks Union Grill Concerts on Friday afternoon at very reasonable prices simply because they could play another gig in town that night.

Entirely the repsonsibility of one Shady Jim Productions. I was in ASMU under the harsh auspices of one Dave Sinker but it was Jim Schade who ran the Friday Mugrack Concert Series. Sinker had no idea as to why The Outlaws would sell out the Varsity or who is Koko Taylor and why do MU students want to hear a 60 year old woman?? But Shady Jim knew.

Sinker went on to be a writer for the Gong Show and the Jenny Jones show. I hope Jim Schade found even more succesws in the tawdry world of rock n' roll

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3058 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
Just got the boat.   Excited to try out a lake a friend told me about near the old man's cabin in northern Wisconsin in May for perch.   Lake Metonga

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3059 on: April 26, 2012, 06:22:03 AM »
So, anyone been fishing?

Hit the Mississippi at Red Wing two weeks ago.  A few walleyes and Silver bass.  No big ones.  Missed the big spring bite by about a week.  Got warm much earlier this year.  Got a first class sun burn too.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3060 on: April 26, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »
Went to the South Side Johnny concert and will have to plead guilty again. I let at least 5-6 empty Old Style bottles roll down the Varsity floor  ::). Did the Romantics play in that same concert at the Varsity? I too saw the Boss on '82 they kept on switching lights on an off to get him off the stage ;D. There was a riot at a Black Sabbath concert '79 or '80 fortunately didn't have enough $ to go.

Romantics concert was in '83. jsglow was Major Concerts Commisssioner that year.

He also booked Jeff Lorber jazz fusion.  About fifteen years ago, I was flipping through jsglow's album collection (!) and pulled one out.

"Where did this come from?"

He glanced at it and said, "Oh, that.  Some sax player from Jeff Lorber gave it to me.  He said he had just relieased his first solo album and I took it just to be polite.  Wonder whatever happened to that guy?"

It was Kenny G.  Except that instead of the long ringlets he is know for now, he had a huge jewfro. 
Have some patience, FFS.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3061 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »
Or Yipes....out in California, the kids are really cool...

Yipes was led by Pat McCurdy, who still plays all the time around town.

I was at the Romantics show in '82 at the Varsity, five bucks.  I remember they previewed songs from their "In Heat" album before it came out.  Great show.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3062 on: April 26, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »
BoDeans in the basement of the Union before they signed.   BonTon Society...same place.     The Friday afternoon outdoor shows were always a good time.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3063 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:35 AM »
BoDeans in the basement of the Union before they signed.   BonTon Society...same place.     The Friday afternoon outdoor shows were always a good time.   

And the Violent Femmes.  I was on the East Coast with some friends in 1984 watching MTV when the video for "Children of the Revolution" came on. They had filmed it at the Serb Hall fish fry.   I was cracking up.  My non-Milwaukee friends couldn't figure out what was going on in the video. "What's with all the old people eating fish?"   
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #3064 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28:03 AM »
I remember the Britians (?) at the Mugrack as a great show back in the early 80's.  The Femmes, Replacements, REM all used to play Summerfest at the Rock Stage before they got big.  I still have a tape from a 1983 REM show at Summerfest that was taped from the 7th row with a boom mic.  Not the greatest quality, but a great show. 

What was the name of the place on State that used to have bands?  I think it was on State at least.  Todd Rundgren played in 84 if I remember right.  Very small venue, we had first row in front of the band.  Great show.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3065 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »
I saw the BoDeans for free at the Lakeshore Park behind the Art Museum what I think was a Labor Day weekend festival.  Between Jr & Sr weekend I also flew to Summerfest for a weekend trip just to see the BoDeans.  I still listen to them.  Their CDs from the 2000s have been good.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3066 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »

What was the name of the place on State that used to have bands?  I think it was on State at least.  Todd Rundgren played in 84 if I remember right.  Very small venue, we had first row in front of the band.  Great show.

That was the Palms...right by Ricky's...U2, The Police there too

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3067 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
I saw the BoDeans for free at the Lakeshore Park behind the Art Museum what I think was a Labor Day weekend festival.  Between Jr & Sr weekend I also flew to Summerfest for a weekend trip just to see the BoDeans.  I still listen to them.  Their CDs from the 2000s have been good.

I have all of their CD's and went to see them as recently as last fall, right after Sammy left.    Definitely not the same.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3068 on: April 26, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
I saw the BoDeans for free at the Lakeshore Park behind the Art Museum what I think was a Labor Day weekend festival.  

That was Maritime Days in Veterans Park.  They stopped that fest about 8-10 years ago, I think.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3069 on: April 26, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
I saw the BoDeans for free at the Lakeshore Park behind the Art Museum what I think was a Labor Day weekend festival... I still listen to them.  Their CDs from the 2000s have been good.

1990?  If so (and I think that's probably the right date), I was there too.  Great concert.  For some reason I have particularly vivid memories of when they played Beautiful Rain that night.  

I don't have any of their newer stuff.  Joe Dirt Car is still one of my most frequently played cds.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3070 on: April 26, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
Summerfest at the Rock Stage before they got big.  I still have a tape from a 1983 REM show at Summerfest that was taped from the 7th row with a boom mic.  Not the greatest quality, but a great show.  

I was at that REM show in about the 5th row.  I was on crutches with a sprained ankle from playing softball, but still managed to pogo on one foot all night on the wooden benches.  That was one of the top live shows I have ever seen (out of many hundreds).  After the encore, the lights went up and a recording of Todd Rungren's "Bang the Drum All Day" came on, but the crowd didn't want to leave and just continued to dance wildly on the benches.  The band wandered back out on stage with beers in hand, just taking it all in in amazement.  I will never forget that moment.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:44:24 AM by BrewCity BallCrusher »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3071 on: April 26, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »
I also was at that REM show at Summerfest, actually it was my sole REM show, it had to be a year or so before the time that a buddy's cousin dragged us to the Rock stage to see some band called Bon Jovi touring for 7800 Fahrenheit

no mentions yet of the club at 35th & Fond du Lac, Fantasies (Beneath the Street before that), I remember seeing bands like Cheap Trick, Styx and Head East in that dump, low ceiling filled with the blue haze from cigarettes

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3072 on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
Found this excellent link...

http://milwaukeerockposters.com/index.html

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3073 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
Now that we're in the off-season April trip down memory lane mode, is this upcoming weekend the Mr. Jiggles Fest spring weekend?

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3074 on: April 26, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »
Geez.

Please don't mention Jiggles or Lakefront bash. You're just getting me sad. Oh what MU used to be....