[June 12, 2024, 08:32:41 PM]

New Assistant Coach by Skatastrophy
[June 12, 2024, 08:04:46 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by tower912
[June 12, 2024, 07:47:59 PM]

Hurley staying! by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 12, 2024, 04:20:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 517274 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: King reports Buzz had all but agreed on SMU job
« Reply #3025 on: April 25, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »
Seems by the evidence that the naked slides were more prevalent during late 80's & 90's. Anyone here use to go the Stone Toad & The Palms? Saw lots of good bands at those clubs ;D

Used to watch the BoDeans try out new songs at the Stone Toad (at least I think that was the place they would perform at under a different name). Heard almost all of the Black and White album before it was released.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3026 on: April 25, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
We had many a good time at the Palms before it became Hoops and it seemed like mostly sailors up from Great Lakes Naval Academy there drinking too much and barfing on the floor.

the 2 best shows at the Palms I remember seeing was Randy Hansen (Hendrix impersonator) and a band called the Tourists featuring Annie Lennox & David Stewart back when the Palms would let you in free with a concert ticket stub from somewhere else.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3027 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
Used to watch the BoDeans try out new songs at the Stone Toad (at least I think that was the place they would perform at under a different name). Heard almost all of the Black and White album before it was released.

Stone Toad was on 618 N Broadway.
Goal is National Championship

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3028 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »

I saw them play there too.  They didn't use a different name, though.  It was a great show and fun watching a band that was really pretty big at the time (had opened for U2) playing at such a small venue.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3029 on: April 25, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
Ha, I saw the BoDeans play at the Toad, too.  I remember them just tearing into some Led Zep song.  They were there pretty often, along with other local bands like the X-Cleavers and E*I*E*I*O.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #3030 on: April 25, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
The 'Lanche sat vacant for many years and its demolition was either amazingly calculated, or dumb luck. I remember heading to the bookstore for gear a few days after we beat Kentucky to get to the Final Four in 2003. The campus was buzzing. Demolition on the 'Lanche looked like it was just beginning. It was gone within days and no one even noticed. Bastards.

You can thank one of the Haggerty (yes, that MU family) daughters for bankrolling the demo of many near by campus watering holes in the 90's.  It seems she had a  granddaughter starting at MU, and grandma put a bug in the president's ear that there were way too many bars too close to campus.  Grannie put her money where her mouth was and the rest, as they say,.....  Irony of ironies, of course, is that grannie herself had not attended MU, and her granddaughter lasted only a year before transfering  to MIAD as an art major!  Whatever.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3031 on: April 25, 2012, 05:38:51 PM »
You can thank one of the Haggerty (yes, that MU family) daughters for bankrolling the demo of many near by campus watering holes in the 90's.

The Patriarch being He of Lava Lamp Fame? It sickens me to think that all those lava lamps funded the demise of an era.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3032 on: April 25, 2012, 05:49:31 PM »
The Patriarch being He of Lava Lamp Fame? It sickens me to think that all those lava lamps funded the demise of an era.

Our BOT authorized the demolition of buildings that should have been given landmark status? For twenty pieces of silver? Impossible! Hoop assures me that they are all brilliant and wonderful people. After all, they voted 30-0 in favor of the GOLD.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3033 on: April 25, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
For twenty pieces of silver?

Filthy lucre!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #3034 on: April 25, 2012, 06:19:02 PM »
Gawddam but I haven't thought of the Palms or the Stone Toad in decades. Saw a lot of great bands at both over those years. I think it was $5 to go see The Pretenders, Talking Heads, Butt Hole Surfers, Elvis Costello, REM, The Outlaws. You had to get there early to get a proper seat but that meant having to sit through bands like the Oil Tasters, Pearl Harbor and the Explosions and such.

Terrible acoustics, the acrid tang of cannabis hanging heavy in the smoky air, but we were young.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3035 on: April 25, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
can someone explain why the university would wait till the end of the school year?  is it the type of thing where buzz is saying pass your classes or you're out the door?  if it was a behavior or basketball ability issue i would certainly think mu would have released the players long ago so they could find a proper home before all the current transfers get first choice.  i'm thinking i'm not understanding something here related to policy.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3036 on: April 25, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
Gawddam but I haven't thought of the Palms or the Stone Toad in decades. Saw a lot of great bands at both over those years. I think it was $5 to go see The Pretenders, Talking Heads, Butt Hole Surfers, Elvis Costello, REM, The Outlaws. You had to get there early to get a proper seat but that meant having to sit through bands like the Oil Tasters, Pearl Harbor and the Explosions and such.

Terrible acoustics, the acrid tang of cannabis hanging heavy in the smoky air, but we were young.

Ok, then lets keep on going anyone remember the Grog Shoppe?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3037 on: April 25, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
Ok, then lets keep on going anyone remember the Grog Shoppe?

Someplace Else?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3038 on: April 25, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »
Filling Station, Swinging Door, Cricket Bar?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3039 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
Ludum habemus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3040 on: April 25, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3041 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
Someplace Else?

Park Avenue, The Safe House (still there).

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3042 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »

Wendy O. 
Plasmatics.

RIP.  peace she never had on terra firma. 
Ludum habemus.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #3043 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »

Not sure about Lava Lamps, but Texas Instruments, yes.  MU Engineering Bldg and Art Museum.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3044 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
Not sure about Lava Lamps, but Texas Instruments, yes.  MU Engineering Bldg and Art Museum.
Haggerty is Lava Lamp

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1999-01-07/news/9901070433_1_haggerty-enterprises-lake-forest-two-other-daughters

AND, Haggerty is Texas Instruments:

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/history/haggerty.shtml

One of the lava lamp daughters is class of '79 and has sweet season ticket seats.
Ludum habemus.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3045 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
Wendy O.  
Plasmatics.

RIP.  peace she never had on terra firma.  

Never really got it all at the time, but Milwaukee was a very happening music town in the 80's.  Looking back, downtown was absolutely dead, and today's Milwaukee has so much more to offer...but these acts loved to start tours in Brew Town.  Pink Floyd was notorious.  I remember being in the Stone Toad and Ronny Wood and Keith Richards came in and started jamming.  Same with the Allman Brothers.  The night Wendy O was arrested at the Palms, we held a pre and post party at our house but none of my roomies went to the concert.  But, our Biz Ad friends who punked out made us hold a safe zone party and sure enough they all came running in after the raid to avoid the cops.  These are CEO's and DA's today. which cracks me up, but I remember the safety pins through the nose.  Walk into a small place and U2 or Cheap Trick is playing...or Chubby Checker.

For some reason, Southern Rock was the big draw.  CDB at the Riverside or the Outlaws with Molly Hatchett at the Varsity...never got the mixture as Milwaukee was a dead city.  Went to SummerFest when bands played two gigs per day at the main stage==saw the Allman's play a 45 minute drum solo and then call it a day as they were too messed up.  Corky Siegel anyone?

http://www.classicwisconsin.com/features/endless.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:43:35 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3046 on: April 25, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
Milwaukee had an outstanding music scene back in the day.  We were fortunate enough to book numerous regional acts for the weekly Brooks Union Grill Concerts on Friday afternoon at very reasonable prices simply because they could play another gig in town that night.  Some names have been mentioned to include the Femmes, Arroyo, X-Cleavers, Bad Boy plus several of the great Chicago blues artists like Koko Taylor and Magic Slim, all free for the student body every week at 3 pm.  I clearly remember Dr. Peters walking downstairs, knowing we were hundreds over the fire marshal limit, and immediately turning around to head back to his office. (Thanks Toby.)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3047 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
Milwaukee had an outstanding music scene back in the day.  We were fortunate enough to book numerous regional acts for the weekly Brooks Union Grill Concerts on Friday afternoon at very reasonable prices simply because they could play another gig in town that night.  Some names have been mentioned to include the Femmes, Arroyo, X-Cleavers, Bad Boy plus several of the great Chicago blues artists like Koko Taylor and Magic Slim, all free for the student body every week at 3 pm.  I clearly remember Dr. Peters walking downstairs, knowing we were hundreds over the fire marshal limit, and immediately turning around to head back to his office. (Thanks Toby.)

Outdoor Grill concerts with the Femmes, Husker Du, The Replacements etc.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3048 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
Anyone from the class of 83 remember the South Side Johnny concert at the Varsity?  It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

How about Alex Bevan....I'm just a skinny little boy from Cleveland Ohio.

Or Yipes....out in California, the kids are really cool...

Saw Bruce in 1982.   Third row seats, right in front of Clarence and Steve Van Zandt. Three hours, 4 encores.   Back in the day.

Anyone (of course we do) remember the anti disco protest in front of the Varsity?  Post Steve Dahl.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3049 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
Anyone from the class of 83 remember the South Side Johnny concert at the Varsity?  It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

79-80 performance?  Packed house; great show.

feedback