[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507063 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1575 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
SMU: AD and Prez that want him a lot
MU: AD and Prez that don't seem to care if he stays or not.

Based on...internet rumors?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1576 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »
Yeah sure, cause coaches are always truthful. I'd still doubt it, but I'm just making the point that if the administration is really pushing Buzz out then they better hell have great hire waiting in the wings that they are already talking to.
And I'm saying that you should look at Illinois if you want to put Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens on the top of your list.  Public/media reaction to nonissues like missing on your first two coaching candidates can be swift and harsh.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1577 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

Haha, seriously :)

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #1578 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
C) Adding to the conspiracy is that Brian was on campus/at the game for senior day (or the game before that), pretty easy for LW to give him an informal interview at that point.

I did find it odd he was there on senior day...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1579 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
I've heard rumblings since October (pre-Larry Williams) that Buzz could be leaving and he wouldn't be stopped (the thought being every year our coach could leave but we always entice him to stay).  I still think the best play is for Buzz to dig his heels; MU is not going to fire him and he'll get a raise out of it to placate him.

Do you know anything deeper than that?

October isn't so far from April and it makes me wonder if the seat was getting itchy in the Autumn why wasn't it itchy enough to take a somewhat attractive job with Oklahoma or A&M? What happened over the summer?

Seemingly, from the outside, it looked like Buzz had handled the transition from Crean and was really setting a foundation last season and this season. He knows what he could do but the feeling of being undermined won't take long to rot that foundation and it seems to have been a matter of months rather than years in that rotting.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #1580 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:08 AM »
I know you LOOOOOVEEEE buzz, but seriously. Top 5? He'll be competing with UT, A&M, Kansas, Oklahahoma and every other freaking school (its freaking Texas, they dont all lean to the in-state schools - especially ones with ZERO history or proof of success). I don't know how MU will do, but if we can keep the majority of the current team, we should be fine with a new coach and have a chance to build momentum with him (a la Buzz).

Many here continue to underestimate the just how much pull Buzz has with his players, players families, former players, etc.  Blue Chip recruits don't choose a school because of the school...they go to the school due to the coach.  Period.  Buzz can easily sell his track record at MU to recruits in Texas to get them to come to SMU.  Hell, he has to recruit nationally to get MU competitive - in Texas, he could probably just recruit regionally.  And...I can tell you it will be highly unlikely we will keep ANY of the incoming recruits..Burton, Wilson, Taylor, Taylor, etc..if Buzz leaves.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1581 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
Would we really have a 64 page thread if it was more than rumors?  This isn't K-State, A&M, or Oklahoma we are talking about, this is f**king SMU.  If you let Buzz go to SMU you are telling the world you didn't really want him.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1582 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »

Anything less than Phil Jackson and there's gonna be a riot.

Is it a conflict of interest for your head coach to be on the board?  Hopefully Doc is ready to step down for a move to Milwaukee or I agree about the riots.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1583 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
MU: AD and Prez that don't seem to care if he stays or not.
according to anonymous internet message board postings, inferences based on nothing, rumor, hearsay, and nothing else.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1584 on: March 27, 2012, 10:46:06 AM »
I'm sitting next to an old, rich alum waiting to get on a plane and he just told his buddy that Buzz is gone according to his source in admin. Said buzz had another heated meeting with Williams. Ugh.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1585 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
How in the world would it make any sense that Buzz was on his way out BEFORE the moves in the administration?  So, the new AD and/or prez were told Buzz must be removed as coach at the end of the year in order for you to get this job?  I have my doubts about that.  Buzz didn't get along with Cottingham/Wilde?  Well, they're gone now.  That doesn't make one bit of sense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1586 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Many here continue to underestimate the just how much pull Buzz has with his players, players families, former players, etc.  Blue Chip recruits don't choose a school because of the school...they go to the school due to the coach.  Period.  Buzz can easily sell his track record at MU to recruits in Texas to get them to come to SMU.  Hell, he has to recruit nationally to get MU competitive - in Texas, he could probably just recruit regionally.  And...I can tell you it will be highly unlikely we will keep ANY of the incoming recruits..Burton, Wilson, Taylor, Taylor, etc..if Buzz leaves.

Blue Chips recruits have NEVER committed to Buzz. Buzz recruited as well as he did because he had MU to recruit them to. Let's see what he does for a bottom feeder CUSA team - its much harder than it looks.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1587 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
Blue Chips recruits have NEVER committed to Buzz. Buzz recruited as well as he did because he had MU to recruit them to. Let's see what he does for a bottom feeder CUSA team - its much harder than it looks.

Harder?  Yes
Impossible?  No

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #1588 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:28 AM »
And I'm saying that you should look at Illinois if you want to put Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens on the top of your list.  Public/media reaction to nonissues like missing on your first two coaching candidates can be swift and harsh.

If Buzz is pushed out, Shaka is not walking through that door. Don't even mention Brad Stevens. It's Chris Collins if he would take it under the new rules put in place and Brian if he doesn't. While I cringe at the thought of Chris Collins, and know he would absolutely use us as a stepping stone, I'm just not ready for the Brian Wardle experiment.

That's all made up in my head too, I don't have sources.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1589 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
How in the world would it make any sense that Buzz was on his way out BEFORE the moves in the administration?  So, the new AD and/or prez were told Buzz must be removed as coach at the end of the year in order for you to get this job?  I have my doubts about that.  Buzz didn't get along with Cottingham/Wilde?  Well, they're gone now.  That doesn't make one bit of sense.

Well, Pilarz and Larry might have the same plan/vision for MU (as Wild/Cottingham), and that might not jive with Buzz.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1590 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
I'm finding it quite difficult to remain optimistic.  Too many posters who are typically reasonable and reliable are chiming in now.  There's a whole lot of smoke out there.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1591 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »
Wardle hasn't done stink yet to command a job of this caliber. I would hope higher profile candidates would emerge.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1592 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »

I actually heard SMU is going to put "Buzz" on the front of the jerseys instead of SMU.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #1593 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
HA!!!  Good stuff.  Sadly I think you're being serious.

SMU doesn't suddenly get UT's recruits because they have Buzz.  SMU doesn't suddenly ease their admissions requirements because they have Buzz.  SMU doesn't suddenly jump up to anything better than 5th best program in the state of Texas just because they have Buzz.  You don't think there will be scrutiny placed on a basketball coach making almost $3M per year?  Nothing would get easier for him; everything would be significantly harder.  I personally am a big fan of Buzz and I actually think he could slowly but surely make it work, but there will be no overnight success at SMU - with or without Buzz.  

This just in, all but maybe 5-7 programs are based mostly on the coach. The other 5-7 are built-in brands that have a leg-up no matter what (IU, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc).

To say out of one side of your mouth that Buzz is a really great coach, but then poo poo his chances of being successful at SMU when he has shown he is successful at M freakin U is disengenous at best and moronic at worst.

Yeah, it's SMU, but so what? Buzz isn't an unproven commodity like he was when he got to MU. He had to work hard to convince kids to come here. Now, if he leaves? He has three kids that he coached in the NBA - two of whom were first rounders and one was an undrafted free agent who would have never gotten the opportunity had the former coach stuck around. Throw in the fact his love for the kids, the fact he has played a key role in turning "nice" players into stars (Butler, Hayward, Williams, Crowder, DJO)? I mean... just because there are other schools in Texas doesn't mean Buzz would suck there.

He's been recruiting nationally at MU. Why would he now fail just because he's physically located in the south? That makes zero sense.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1594 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »
I hate everyone in this thread.  That includes myself.

Pony in DC

• Walk-On
« Reply #1595 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:58:27 AM by Pony in DC »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1596 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »

Hypothetically, because it's coming from the BOT. They saw a problem with S-Cot and Buzz, and knew Wilde was on his way out. So they found replacements that would be okay with making a change at the most visible position at the University, and would be okay with pushing out the most popular coach MU has had since Al McGuire.

Again, I don't know any of this for certain, but I highly doubt that this started with LW. I just can't picture him being foolish enough to try to make his name on Buzz's scalp. If Buzz is truly being pushed out, it's coming from above LW, and it's coming from people who think they can replace Buzz.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1597 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
If Buzz goes to SMU, he'll be there for a few years and make progress with the program and then move on to the next big gig that opens up.  If he continues to make progress at SMU it will certainly start a fire under Barnes's seat at UT.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1598 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
Do you think MU would have the guts to publicly push Buzz out? I think Buzz staying will piss off some insiders but he is in the drivers seat. Last info I heard was not to worry...but think the thing is subject to change depending on the moment.

I still have high level of confidence he stays. That said, until something publicly is said I am worried.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1599 on: March 27, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
This just in, all but maybe 5-7 programs are based mostly on the coach. The other 5-7 are built-in brands that have a leg-up no matter what (IU, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc).

To say out of one side of your mouth that Buzz is a really great coach, but then poo poo his chances of being successful at SMU when he has shown he is successful at M freakin U is disengenous at best and moronic at worst.

Yeah, it's SMU, but so what? Buzz isn't an unproven commodity like he was when he got to MU. He had to work hard to convince kids to come here. Now, if he leaves? He has three kids that he coached in the NBA - two of whom were first rounders and one was an undrafted free agent who would have never gotten the opportunity had the former coach stuck around. Throw in the fact his love for the kids, the fact he has played a key role in turning "nice" players into stars (Butler, Hayward, Williams, Crowder, DJO)? I mean... just because there are other schools in Texas doesn't mean Buzz would suck there.

He's been recruiting nationally at MU. Why would he now fail just because he's physically located in the south? That makes zero sense.

Buzz could also sell them on the fact that he took a small, private, urban university and made them into a nationally-recognized program. Honestly, how many 16-year-old ballers in Texas are even remotely familiar with MU's basketball tradition, other than knowing DWade went there?

feedback