[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 507172 times)

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
Re: SMU Fans' Thread on Getting Buzz is Adorable
« Reply #1525 on: March 27, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
From Yahoo Sports this morning...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2012-ncaab-maf

The Good News:   Unlike a year ago, there’s little danger of losing head coach Buzz Williams. That extension he signed last offseason likely keeps him at Marquette for years to come, which is fortunate because the players love him and will play well for him. There’s a very solid recruiting class coming in, and the talent in place to once again compete for a spot among the conference leaders and for an NCAA Tournament berth.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1526 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:46 AM »
Someone have access to this?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1527 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »
It's all a conspiracy to get people to pay for premium message boards!

Don't give in! 

Don't let Dodds win!

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #1528 on: March 27, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
How many new sites is IWB going to have?  What happened to the SportsBubbler?  And why do they all look like they were made in the late 80's?

And he seriously named his Marquette forum "Inside the Al"?

You know what they say: why have one website when you can start 14?

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #1529 on: March 27, 2012, 10:09:14 AM »
It's all a conspiracy to get people to pay for premium message boards!

Don't give in! 

Don't let Dodds win!

I have the Scout premium access for MU.  You have to pay for SMU separately.  Also, I did pay for the SMU Rivals board and that Laken Litman person is a laughing stock at the Rivals board.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #1530 on: March 27, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
Awesome gif Ska!

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
Well Seth Greenberg throws SMU rumors to the curb.  Buzz?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/virginia-tech-coach-seth-greenberg-dismisses-smu-rumors/2012/03/26/gIQAKk66dS_blog.html

Buzz has better things to do than to spend time dispelling every rumor that comes up about him.  Just like we have better things to do than overreact about every freakin' rumor that comes up about Buzz.  The Grambling State coaching position is open - should Buzz hold a press conference to say he's not interested?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:26 AM »
Buzz has better things to do than to spend time dispelling every rumor that comes up about him.  Just like we have better things to do than overreact about every freakin' rumor that comes up about Buzz.  The Grambling State coaching position is open - should Buzz hold a press conference to say he's not interested?

But overreacting is what we're best at!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: March 27, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
This thread proves that we do NOT have better things to do.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1534 on: March 27, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
I have the Scout premium access for MU.  You have to pay for SMU separately.  Also, I did pay for the SMU Rivals board and that Laken Litman person is a laughing stock at the Rivals board.

You can get the free 7-day trial for the SMU Scout board, but I don't feel like running upstairs to get my credit card info.

One thing...as much as this is a "crapstorm" for all of us, I don't think this is necessarily being handled horribly by Marquette. Sure, the die-hard message board fanatics are panicking, but there's been nary a peep from the media. It isn't mentioned in the local paper, and the only two news outlets to touch it are (1) the least watched one in 58 that is sourcing message boards like us and (2) Fox 6, which has no direct ties to Marquette.

They've mostly kept it hushed, and whenever anything comes out right now, it will either be the first statement saying Buzz is gone or just reaffirming Buzz's commitment to Marquette. To us, it may feel like agony, but to the general public, even to the general Marquette fans, this issue doesn't even exist yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1535 on: March 27, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »
Here's my theory on why there is no way LW can let Buzz go.  Presumably MU is concerned about their image hence the "issues" with Buzz.  If Buzz doesn't leave for A&M last year but suddenly leaves for SMU this year a HUGE step down from A&M let alone MU, the media while dumb is going to figure some of this out.  And then how does MU spin the whole thing, it will just rachet up attention on the program further because MU would ditch a wildly successful coach to clean up the program.  The media will smell blood in the water and the program will be picked a part, plus who is going to want to coach here under those self-manufactured circumstances.

This doesn't even address the fan fire storm.  If Larry is a smart guy, unless there is some bad stuff about the program that hasn't come out yet there is no way he could let Buzz go.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #1536 on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
But overreacting is what we're best at!

We are all fans.  Churchill said it best

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
This thread proves that we do NOT have better things to do.
I stand by the rest of my post, but that is very true.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1538 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
This doesn't even address the fan fire storm.  If Larry is a smart guy, unless there is some bad stuff about the program that hasn't come out yet there is no way he could let Buzz go.

Either that, or he has someone lined up that he thinks, right or wrong, would appease the masses.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »
Either that, or he has someone lined up that he thinks, right or wrong, would appease the masses.

Better be Shaka.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
Larry has to be a smart guy, he went to Notre Dame.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »

Or he's not calling the shots and Pilarz and the BOT are.  What I don't get, is what could they possibly know now that they didn't know months ago when the off court issues surfaced?  If all of this is true, they'll have some SERIOUS answering to do.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1542 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »

He'd better, but that doesn't make sense because now the circle of who knows gets bigger and you'd think there would be a lot more leaks.  It seems to me for it to be this circumstantial it is either untrue and Buzz is staying or LW is closing his eyes and praying it works out.

Gun to my head, I think there was a small brushfire but the Williams put it out and we're good.  However, they is enough stuff out there to make me panicky and I think it would be a disaster to lose Buzz at this point.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
Here's my theory on why there is no way LW can let Buzz go.  Presumably MU is concerned about their image hence the "issues" with Buzz.  If Buzz doesn't leave for A&M last year but suddenly leaves for SMU this year a HUGE step down from A&M let alone MU, the media while dumb is going to figure some of this out.  And then how does MU spin the whole thing, it will just rachet up attention on the program further because MU would ditch a wildly successful coach to clean up the program.  The media will smell blood in the water and the program will be picked a part, plus who is going to want to coach here under those self-manufactured circumstances.

I know how to spin it: "The guy left for S-M-freakin'-U.  13-19, 11th place in CUSA SMU.  What do you want me to say?  He must have been tired of all the winning he was doing here and wanted a chance to lose 20+ games every year as his new school enters the Big East.  I can't force the guy to stay here.  If money is all that motivates him, then so be it.  We'll do our best to find someone a little less crazy to be the next coach."

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: March 27, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
to the general public, even to the general Marquette fans, this issue doesn't even exist yet.
ding ding ding

TJ

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »
Better be Shaka.
Shaka has been very clear about the fact that he's staying at VCU.  I wouldn't get too focused on that idea.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
Or he's not calling the shots and Pilarz and the BOT are.  What I don't get, is what could they possibly know now that they didn't know months ago when the off court issues surfaced?  If all of this is true, they'll have some SERIOUS answering to do.

I've heard rumblings since October (pre-Larry Williams) that Buzz could be leaving and he wouldn't be stopped (the thought being every year our coach could leave but we always entice him to stay).  I still think the best play is for Buzz to dig his heels; MU is not going to fire him and he'll get a raise out of it to placate him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »
To us, it may feel like agony, but to the general public, even to the general Marquette fans, this issue doesn't even exist yet.

Or we think we know something that doesn't exist and the general public/general Marquette fans are smarter than us.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1548 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »

That's my point on the spin, right now the off court stuff is largely local.  The national media especially for the first time in like 13 years is going ok MU and Buzz are good no carousel activity to worry about there.  If all of a sudden Buzz is taking a giant step down to go to SMU, that creates a lot of attention and is a big media story.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: March 27, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
One key overlooked factor of all of this - or at least a factor that might have been discussed 30-40 pages ago - is that, to the "average" fan, they:

a) don't know or can't recall anything about the alleged assault
b) if they do know anything, there aren't any specifics out there, hence the MU brand isn't severely damaged
c) hardly anyone other than MU boosters or WI fans know/care about the six tickets reported on last week

So, that being said, for MU to potentially go the way of letting the coach in the name of "saving the brand!" would make no sense at all.

If anything, it would only
a) bring the prior issues to the forefront
b) make MU a joke by releasing Buzz for what aren't deemed issues of his fault (in the public eye at least)
c) frighten off any "name" coaches to come here. After all, "if eveyone loved Buzz and they canned him, why should I step into that sh!tstorm?"