Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jae is POY!  (Read 15689 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Jae is POY!
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed and I've just missed it but does anyone know what Jae's prospects were coming out of high school?  What kind of attention/rating was he getting and who was recruiting him/offered him?

I feel I remember something about Jae being fat and overweight for most of high school,and only around his junior/senior did really start to focus and play, but it was too late to really be recruited heavily.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
I think this is appropriate.

Congrats to Jae!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
The WV boards are hi-larious, they say they can't wait to get to the Big XII. Oookaaayy, first away game against Texas Oct. 6:  by car...1,399 mi, 22 hours 39 mins. Flight is only $482.50, 3 stops, 11.5 hours.

Playing against schools like Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, they probably have a lock on the POY for the Big 12.  ::)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:59 PM »
what did he say?

He said he doesn't believe in voting for the All-Conference teams because coaches can't choose their own players.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
Oh so you're leaving our conference?

Well how about if we beat you on your home floor in your most important game, dance on your logo and then steal the Big East Player of the Year from your supposed "lock"?

Enjoy flying to Texas after class all next year

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
This is by far my favorite post on their forum right now.

"The catholic schools ban together and vote for their one chosen catholic rep, Crowder. Loyalist UConn also votes that way to prevent the WVU player from getting it. Jones doesnt have enough votes to counter, with additional votes being split between him, Crowder and Odom. Huggins cant vote for his man, so he votes probably for Odom. Buzz votes probably Kris Joseph to assure no vote for KJ.

Sounds like the Corrupt Bargain a little doesnt it? Turns out that was real as well."

I literally almost just fell off of my chair.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 05:00:08 AM »
Flying after class??? We're talking W. Va. here.

Kudos, Jae.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 06:03:04 AM »
Oh so you're leaving our conference?

Well how about if we beat you on your home floor in your most important game, dance on your logo and then steal the Big East Player of the Year from your supposed "lock"?

Enjoy flying to Texas after class all next year

I have throughly enjoyed reading all the posts about the poor wvu fans. God it feels so great but I would trade the poy right now for a final four in a snap. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:32 AM »
This is by far my favorite post on their forum right now.

"The catholic schools ban together and vote for their one chosen catholic rep, Crowder. Loyalist UConn also votes that way to prevent the WVU player from getting it. Jones doesnt have enough votes to counter, with additional votes being split between him, Crowder and Odom. Huggins cant vote for his man, so he votes probably for Odom. Buzz votes probably Kris Joseph to assure no vote for KJ.

Sounds like the Corrupt Bargain a little doesnt it? Turns out that was real as well."

I literally almost just fell off of my chair.

LOL.  Yeah, because its a widely known fact that all Catholic schools band together when it is time to vote for POY.  Additionally, Buzz was very, 'as a matter of fact' when asked who he was voting BEPOY... Kevin Jones.

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 07:22:24 AM »
Ummmmm pretty sure MU wouldn't be where we are in the BE if it wasn't for Jae Crowder. In fact, we'd be 9-9 too or maybe a little better; ergo, Jae remains BOSS of the BE.
I'm Ron Burgundy?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we have had 2 conference POYs before Jae in our history.  Jim McIlvaine was the Great Midwest POY in 1994 and Dwyane Wade was CUSA POY in 2003.  In both cases we finished first in the league but lost our first conference tournament game. 

I'd rather other guys win the awards and we win the tournament games. 

As for Crowder vs Jones, I guess traditional metrics favor Jones and advanced metrics favor Crowder.  Couldn't go wrong with either guy, IMO.  I guess W/L record of respective teams was deciding factor. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Wow.  There isn't a crappier fan base in the country than WVU.  Good riddance.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Congratulations Jae for the well deserved honor.  Thank you for a great two years!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
TWITTER TRACKER

https://twitter.com/#!/JeffEisenberg

If Jae Crowder tweeted video of himself dancing to 'Country Roads' tonight the internet in West Virginia might break.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:20:04 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »
TWITTER TRACKERhttps://twitter.com/#!/JeffEisenberg

If Jae Crowder tweeted video of himself dancing to 'Country Roads' tonight the internet in West Virginia might break.

LOL That was great.  Would love to see Jae dancing to that.  Guessing it wouldn't be a two step, though!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
Mods,
<<<<Please change the category on the left to SOTBE.  Keep the picture.  May want to Photoshop a WVU tatoo on the arm.  Thanks

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »
TWITTER TRACKERhttps://twitter.com/#!/JeffEisenberg

Awesome Twitter Tracker use.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
SO when will the league officially announce Jae as POY?

Marquette Mama

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
I'm sure it's been discussed and I've just missed it but does anyone know what Jae's prospects were coming out of high school?  What kind of attention/rating was he getting and who was recruiting him/offered him?

To add to Aughnanure's summary: Jae's first year of JUCO ball was with an unaccredited school.  A Big East coach suggested that Jae move to an accredited JUCO, so that his academics would transfer if/when he got a chance to play at a higher level.  That coach was Bob Huggins. Sweet irony.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »
SO when will the league officially announce Jae as POY?

Between the first and second sessions of the BET this afternoon. Also will name COY then...and hearing that it's NOT Brey.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
I'm gonna have to get that Country Roads song on my iTunes...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
Dude, I'd be super pissed if a player from MU led the Big East in scoring and rebounding and didn't win.

True, but if roles were reversed I'd feel a little guilty arguing if Kevin Jones had come into the Bradley Center and dominated Jae 26 points to 12 points to take player of the week.

I love Kevin Jones, but if he had just held his own against Jae in Morgantown that day he would have had the title wrapped up, but getting dominated like that opened the door, and Jae followed that up with another player of the week and then a pick by ESPN as one of the top 4 performers in the country the final week.

I've had them both in my top 4 all year in Value Add, but had Jae nudging ahead of Jones a few weeks ago.

But I don't want to direct any criticism at Jones.  He seems like a great guy, and a wonderful player, but Jae was just a little bit better.

I remember living in Virginia and being outraged when Ralph Sampson was ripped off for Player of the Year in a conspiracy to pretend that some punk named Michael Jordan was better!

I am glad the SI 2nd team all-american came right on it's heals too.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
wow.  not just pissed, but SUPER pissed! wow.

Actually, not SUPER pissed.  just super pissed.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
True, but if roles were reversed I'd feel a little guilty arguing if Kevin Jones had come into the Bradley Center and dominated Jae 26 points to 12 points to take player of the week.

I love Kevin Jones, but if he had just held his own against Jae in Morgantown that day he would have had the title wrapped up, but getting dominated like that opened the door, and Jae followed that up with another player of the week and then a pick by ESPN as one of the top 4 performers in the country the final week.

I've had them both in my top 4 all year in Value Add, but had Jae nudging ahead of Jones a few weeks ago.

But I don't want to direct any criticism at Jones.  He seems like a great guy, and a wonderful player, but Jae was just a little bit better.

I remember living in Virginia and being outraged when Ralph Sampson was ripped off for Player of the Year in a conspiracy to pretend that some punk named Michael Jordan was better!

I am glad the SI 2nd team all-american came right on it's heals too.

That's because you're a reasonable person, bama.  But we all know this board would have exploded if the roles were reversed. 

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
I'm gonna have to get that Country Roads song on my iTunes...

This made me go listen to it on youtube. Hard not to smile.