Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jae is POY!  (Read 15686 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Jae is POY!
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
In my mind, this is far less controversial than Kemba not winning last year.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
I'm assuming it was probably a very close vote.  Jae was better at the end.  I know it's a vote for the BE season, but that still makes a difference.  I do wonder who didn't vote Jones for the BE first team though (oh wait, the WV fans know it was Buzz).  That is definitely surprising..

Jae getting the support of many of the national pundits (minus Dickie V) and coming in ahead of Jones on the All American teams further justifies the selection.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
This might be the greatest thread ever:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=8770125

They are coming up with ways to get back at the Big East!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
Not bad for a JUCO transfer - looks like we need a few more of those!  Next up - MOP of the NCAA.  Anyone else feeling a triple double (points, rebounds, steals) over one seed Kentucky to send us back to New Orleans???  Anyone?  Just me?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »

This is my favorite response:

Hee hee!
Have some patience, FFS.

LON

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »

This is my favorite response:

Hee hee!

Not a fan of the dude that posts no messages, but just pictures from the Civil War?

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

Those idiots are ONLY considering points and rebounds for the whole season. They fail to recognize that the vote is based on conference play ONLY.  A monster omission by them.  They're like politicians trying to skew statistics in their favor. Of course,  we all know that a player's value is determined by more than just points and rebounds.  Crowder has better overall numbers.  Who gives a flying frack that Jones had the scoring title anyway! So what if Jones scored 18 more points over the course of a season......in 69 more minutes......that deserves POY???  ::)

It's funny how no national writers are talking about this "Biggest Injustice in Big East History!"  In fact, Goodman and Parrish have flat out said Jae deserved it.....only to get attacked by moonshine-riddled livers. Pathetic.

MU_LOL

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

None of these posters mentoined anything about being NINE-AND-NINE
C'mon son.
I'm Ron Burgundy?

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »
Here is what I left for WVU fans on the page - I understand their disappointment, because Jones had it wrapped up until Jae came into Morgantown and stole it - but Jae stole it on the court head to head and deserved it:

But still, the problem with the conspiracy theory is that www.kenpom.com has become the most widely read stat rating over the past few years, and he rates Crowder in the top 10 in the country and not Jones.  Bleacher Reports listed Crowder 5th and Jones 10th.  One of ESPN's basketball columnist listed Johnson-Odom as the 5th best player in the country a few weeks ago, and then came back after Crowder's strong finish said two weeks ago the BE POY was between Crowder and DJO.

So you can't say a conspiracy extended to statistical ratings, which have no biases, and national media.

As for WVU being punished for leaving, hard to argue that when Syracuse - also leaving - grabbed the defensive player of the year and 6th man of the year vote by the same coaches.  True that Crowder had a much better supporting cast, but the flip side is being a one-man team meant Jones didn't have to share.  He took more than 100 shots MORE than Crowder to barely beat him out in points.  Crowder shot 62% on 2-pointers to 59% for Jones.  Crowder shot 36% on 3-pointers to 28% for Jones.  So I am not sure you can say that the guy who took 3 more shots a game to score one more point a game is the better scorer.

On defense Crowder was much better, stealing the ball more than three times as often as Jones and blocking shots more often than Jones even though he is two inches shorter.  Crowder also guards all 5 positions, as he showed by holding Jones to 12 points and then on the last possession, matched up with Truck since MU's guards couldn't contain him and forced a shot that missed the rim by three feet.

Jones is the better rebounder, but Crowder is the better defender and scorer if you go by shooting percentage as opposed to Jones' 19.0 ppg to 18.0 ppg, which would basically be saying you'd rather have Jones taking 6 shots more every two games even though he is missing 5 of them and only making one.

I am not ripping Jones - I have rated both among the Top 4 most valuable players in the country, and I hope they both grab lots of honors.  Jones may finish ahead of Crowder in some (3rd team Sporting News), while Crowder will finish ahead in others (Pomeroy, Bleacher Report, SB Nation and 2nd team all-american in Sports Illustrated to 3rd team for Jones), but when two guys are this dominant, I do believe coaches probably looked to Crowder's domination of Jones one-on-one and him putting up 26 points or more in 4 of his final 5 games including that one, while maybe they didn't weight Jones two games around 30 pts in early non-conference games.

A great season and more importantly career for Jones, but the coaches aren't the only ones who just believe Crowder was a little better this year.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
Great line that WVU fans will enjoy from the JS article on Larry Williams:

"Williams inherits an athletic program that belongs to a major athletic conference undergoing big change. Pittsburgh and Syracuse, two marquee conference opponents, are leaving the Big East. So is West Virginia."

Implying WVU is not a marquee conference opponent, which I'm sure they would all love to disagree with.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
Congrats Jae!  Well deserved!  We are all proud of what you and the team have accomplished this season.  Good luck in the tournament and beyond!

MUFC9295

• Team Captain

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
And there it is!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/03/06/Big.East.Awards.ap/index.html?sct=cb_t2_a4

Stan Heath? Seriously? Let the arguing begin about Buzz getting gipped for COY..........

Congrats to Jae. Oustanding.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »
WVU fans now certain they will get screwed by the officials in the BEast tourney (as per orders of the BEast office), as they've apparently been doing all year long.

Honestly, I don't think there is a less intelligent, out of touch fanbase in the country.  It's not a few crazies, but probably 95% of the fans on their boards who think Jones was deliberately left off because they are leaving, and can't even begin to conceive how Jae might actually be deserving.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Stan Heath? Seriously? Let the arguing begin about Buzz getting gipped for COY..........

Congrats to Jae. Oustanding.

If Buzz did'nt get COY than I'm glad Stan got it; the first really good season for USF since being in the league.

muwarrior69

• All American

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
Hard work pays off. Congratulations to Jae and the whole team. Go Warriors!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
Video: BigEast.org Interviews Jae Crowder
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
http://www.bigeast.org

Right on the front of the Big East website is a video interview with Jae Crowder.

JWags85

• All American
Re: Video: BigEast.org Interviews Jae Crowder
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
Man he looks like Lil Wayne's beastly older brother there...

marquettefan

• Walk-On
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »
Ummmmm pretty sure MU wouldn't be where we are in the BE if it wasn't for Jae Crowder. In fact, we'd be 9-9 too or maybe a little better; ergo, Jae remains BOSS of the BE.

I have said the same thing on a few threads.  After losing Otule and Gardner, how wvu fans think, Marquette would have easily won 20 games, without crowder.  You need a new excuse wvu.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Video: BigEast.org Interviews Jae Crowder
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:07 PM »
Man he looks like Lil Wayne's beastly older brother there...

I think he looks like the hippest philosophy professor at Howard University.
Have some patience, FFS.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Can we replace the stud of the game picture with this?