[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

NCAA Ticket Strategy by MU82
[March 18, 2024, 10:06:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 3/11/2024?  (Read 1000249 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/5/18
« Reply #925 on: November 06, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Not at all. You're not understanding the difference between individual stats and team stats.

So if a stat helps your argument it matta, but if it doesn't help your argument it no matta.  Man this internet thing is easy man.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #926 on: November 07, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »
So if a stat helps your argument it matta, but if it doesn't help your argument it no matta.  Man this internet thing is easy man.

Jay Bee is correct here. He could explain it better but I'm gonna try my best.

There is a significant difference between team and individual stats. eFG% does reign supreme when comparing two teams playing head to head. For as much that goes into a basketball game, winning really comes down to "who uses their possessions most efficiently." The best indicator of this is eFG%. The reason for this being that most possessions are going to end with a single missed or made FG. So the team that shoots the best the eFG% is likely to win because they will have had more made FGs (or less but more 3PMs) than their opponent. There are three other factors that influence but tend to have lower impact because they happen less frequently.  OR% matters because an offensive rebound allows you two FGAs (or more) in a single possession. TO% matters because it causes the possession to end without a FGA. FTR matters because FTAs don't get counted as FGAs but they can still add points to a possession.

Now this works on the team level because both teams are going to have roughly the same amount of possessions. I believe the biggest difference between two opponents in total possessions is 2 (One team wins the tip, gets the last possession arrow, and has the last possession of the game). So because one opponent can't have that many more possessions than their opponent, the efficiency of those possessions will determine who wins the game.

That's not true on the individual level. The amount of possessions a player will get will vary widely between individual players. So a player that gets more possessions but is less efficient may still be more important to winning the game than a player who gets less possession but is more efficient. Take the game last night. Markus' eFG% of 37.5% was very bad. He was still one of the three most important players in the game last night. Certainly more important than Bailey (50% eFG%), Cain (58.3%), or Joey (41.7%). Possibly more important than Sam (57.8%) or Theo (80%).

There's also the defensive side to consider. eFG% reigning supreme isn't just about shooting a good team eFG%, it's also about making your opponent shoot a bad eFG%. So just looking at eFG% on the individual level leaves out any contributions on the defensive end.

The most important thing a team can do is win the eFG% battle. There are a lot of different ways that individual players can help the team achieve that. Grab rebounds, play good defense, not turn the ball over, make the extra pass, and yes, shoot a high individual eFG%. So it is still an important stat, but not as important as it is when talking about team stats.

Clear as mud?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #927 on: November 07, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
I imagine the win last night will put us into #5 seed territory and "First Four Out" on Lunardi's bracket.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #928 on: November 09, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »
Loyola Chicago lost to Furman, and #25 Washington is down 28 in the 2nd to Aubrun at the moment. Both were ahead of Marquette in the preseason AP poll.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #929 on: November 09, 2018, 10:02:11 PM »
Loyola Chicago lost to Furman, and #25 Washington is down 28 in the 2nd to Aubrun at the moment. Both were ahead of Marquette in the preseason AP poll.

Wait a second ...

The great Loyola of Chicago ... the kingslayers? ... Sister What's Her Name's school? ... the school that is now such a basketball powerhouse that we want them in the Big East? ... they lost to Furman?

Impossible!

And yes, given the way voters vote, there is a chance we could move into the rankings.

Of course, nothing happens in a vacuum. Maybe some other unranked teams had more impressive wins than UMBC and Bethune Cookman.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #930 on: November 09, 2018, 10:50:18 PM »
Wait a second ...

The great Loyola of Chicago ... the kingslayers? ... Sister What's Her Name's school? ... the school that is now such a basketball powerhouse that we want them in the Big East? ... they lost to Furman?

Impossible!

And yes, given the way voters vote, there is a chance we could move into the rankings.

Of course, nothing happens in a vacuum. Maybe some other unranked teams had more impressive wins than UMBC and Bethune Cookman.

I must say this result pleased me a great deal indeed!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #931 on: November 09, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
Buffalo beat West Virginia in OT.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #932 on: November 09, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »
Buffalo beat West Virginia in OT.

They'll pick up votes. Could be ranked if they come into the week of their game at MU unbeaten.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #933 on: November 10, 2018, 05:48:14 AM »
I must say this result pleased me a great deal indeed!

I understand the Loyola love, I really do. Everybody loves an underdog.

But they have had one excellent season and one OK season in the last 3 decades, but people were making them out to be the next Gonzaga or Wichita State. The head coach that people have been drooling over was 89-105 in 6 seasons before last year.

I'll believe the Loyola program is worth a damn when they can be good 4 out of 5 years or 6 out of 8 years.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #934 on: November 10, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »
I'll believe the Loyola program is worth a damn when they can be good 4 out of 5 years or 6 out of 8 years.

On a Marquette related note, I do think Wardle is building something significant at Bradley. I could see them finishing ahead of Loyola in the MVC this year.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #935 on: November 10, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Final score: #11 Auburn  88    #25 Washington  66

Headline under that score on ESPN home page:

"Washington team bus blows tire, catches fire after loss to Auburn"
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #936 on: November 10, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »

But they have had one excellent season and one OK season in the last 3 decades, but people were making them out to be the next Gonzaga or Wichita State. The head coach that people have been drooling over was 89-105 in 6 seasons before last year.

Nobody is making them out to be the next Gonzaga or Wichita State. I really don't get the hatred for LUC on this board. Let their fans enjoy their one good season. They've put up with a ton of losing.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #937 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
Nobody is making them out to be the next Gonzaga or Wichita State. I really don't get the hatred for LUC on this board. Let their fans enjoy their one good season. They've put up with a ton of losing.

Agree with all of this.  Overrated this year?  Probably.  But a helluva lot of fun last year and will be decent this year.  After that, who knows? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #938 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:33 PM »

I have zero hate for Loyola, and I also enjoyed their run last year.

I just don't get those who think they've proven anything, nor do I get seemingly intelligent folks suggesting Loyola has accomplished enough to warrant being mentioned as a possible Big East team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #939 on: November 10, 2018, 05:51:14 PM »
We could crack the top-25. I could see us 24/25, if not we'll still be just outside.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #940 on: November 10, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
We could crack the top-25. I could see us 24/25, if not we'll still be just outside.

Ditto

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #941 on: November 11, 2018, 07:33:03 AM »
I have zero hate for Loyola, and I also enjoyed their run last year.

I just don't get those who think they've proven anything, nor do I get seemingly intelligent folks suggesting Loyola has accomplished enough to warrant being mentioned as a possible Big East team.

Yep same. Plus I'm annoyed Custer didn't grad transfer here!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #942 on: November 11, 2018, 07:50:53 AM »

My MBA is from Loyola and everyone was asking me last year why I wasn't showing "love" to "my" School.

I told them I wished the Ramblers well but "I AM A WARRIOR!" I aint no damn Rambler and as far as I am concerned, the season ended when the NCAA, in their infinite mindlessness, elected not to invite my Warriors to the NCAA tournament. "How's the Cardinals doing, anyway?"

Seems like the world has returned to normal. We have a good team and to the rest of the world, a Rambler is an antique care last made in the 1960s.

moomoo

• Team Captain
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/12/18
« Reply #945 on: November 12, 2018, 08:19:28 AM »
Saw two voters released their votes and had us at 20 and 21.
Maigh Eo for Sam

fjm

• All American
« Reply #946 on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:25 AM »

Encouraging. But preseason some people had us as high as 18 and we still missed out. Here’s hoping!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #947 on: November 12, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
My MBA is from Loyola and everyone was asking me last year why I wasn't showing "love" to "my" School.

I told them I wished the Ramblers well but "I AM A WARRIOR!" I aint no damn Rambler and as far as I am concerned, the season ended when the NCAA, in their infinite mindlessness, elected not to invite my Warriors to the NCAA tournament. "How's the Cardinals doing, anyway?"

Seems like the world has returned to normal. We have a good team and to the rest of the world, a Rambler is an antique care last made in the 1960s.

Like you, Mrs Legs and I are both MU undergrad and Loyola grad school.  Went to the Final Four last year (bc of daughter at Nova), and rooted for and enjoyed Loyola bc it's a local team for us and the underdog angle-but felt nothing for the team as a grad. 

Wojoman

• Walk-On
« Reply #948 on: November 12, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
Lower then we should be!

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #949 on: November 12, 2018, 11:11:10 AM »
I'm hoping for a totally irrational 5-spot jump. Not that far-fetched in these polls...