collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What is Marquette's national reputation/perception?  (Read 43997 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: What is Marquette's national reputation/perception?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »
Agreed on white, middle class kids getting into UW. We literally know dozens of families that had their kids accepted directly from high school. I do believe the high school you attend does make a difference though. Ozaukee and Waukesha county schools have a very high number of students accepted to UW each year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »
Most likely my problem was that I was barely in the top 1/3 of my class (we had 10 kids with 4.0s out of a 120 person class, and the salutatorian had gotten ONE B+), and I took challenging classes and college courses which brought down my GPA.  I knew that at least one of the 4.0 students had taken nearly every art class available.

Now you might actually find that to be different.  The UW is much more comprehensive in looking at GPA along with the quality of the courses you take.  They don't even use class rank much any longer.

BTW, I modified my post...apologies because I didn't mean to be dickish.  I didn't say what I wanted to.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »

Now you might actually find that to be different.  The UW is much more comprehensive in looking at GPA along with the quality of the courses you take.  They don't even use class rank much any longer.

BTW, I modified my post...apologies because I didn't mean to be dickish.  I didn't say what I wanted to.

It isn't really fair that they can consider the school you went to... how many kids have control over such a thing?

FWIW, I went to a school in the Fox Valley (Little Chute).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »
It isn't really fair that they can consider the school you went to... how many kids have control over such a thing?

It's not just the school you went to, but how you did.  For instance, a 3.5 at University School means something different than a 3.5 at Milwaukee Washington.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

Hate to say it but UW has great reputation and is far better investment for WI residents. Breaks my heart to say that but now I am the guy writing the checks.

It's a better "investment" because every worker in Wisconsin is forced to subsidize it. You're paying for it whether or not your kids go there and that naturally makes MU (or any private school) a tougher sell.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2011, 01:49:40 PM »

It's not just the school you went to, but how you did.  For instance, a 3.5 at University School means something different than a 3.5 at Milwaukee Washington.

You are 100% correct on that. However, kids at U School with a 3.5 will undoubtedly have much higher test scores and subsequently opt for US News' top 20 select colleges.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
Agreed on white, middle class kids getting into UW. We literally know dozens of families that had their kids accepted directly from high school. I do believe the high school you attend does make a difference though. Ozaukee and Waukesha county schools have a very high number of students accepted to UW each year.

I did Fr/So years at a highly regarded college-prep private high school in Minnesota, and then Jr/Sr years (and graduated) from a semi-rural Wisconsin public high school.  My ACT score was the highest in five years at the latter, but probably was only 90th percentile at the former.  My class rank over the first two years was upper 1/3 at the former; my rank during my last two years at graduation was lower half.  (Confused?  Read on...)

Not only did I get rejected by UW, I came to find out a few weeks later that the UW admissions office called my HS guidance counselor because they thought my application, transcripts, etc. were either forgeries or a joke.  When I learned all of this, my guidance counselor made it quite clear to me that my rejection had nothing to do with my grades, class rank, etc. but rather that I was a victim of "quotas and timing."

I'm probably one of a handful people in the entire world who look back with tremendous satisfaction and pleasure at the first time I was ever discriminated against for something beyond my control.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
I did Fr/So years at a highly regarded college-prep private high school in Minnesota, and then Jr/Sr years (and graduated) from a semi-rural Wisconsin public high school.  My ACT score was the highest in five years at the latter, but probably was only 90th percentile at the former.  My class rank over the first two years was upper 1/3 at the former; my rank during my last two years at graduation was lower half.  (Confused?  Read on...)

Not only did I get rejected by UW, I came to find out a few weeks later that the UW admissions office called my HS guidance counselor because they thought my application, transcripts, etc. were either forgeries or a joke.  When I learned all of this, my guidance counselor made it quite clear to me that my rejection had nothing to do with my grades, class rank, etc. but rather that I was a victim of "quotas and timing."

Let me suggest that the guidance counselor may have been giving you a line to cover his (or her) ass.  What you describe makes no sense.  Why didn't you appeal?  You don't have to go through your guidance counselor to do that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:40:28 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »

Let me suggest that the guidance counselor may have been giving you a line to cover his (or her) ass.  What you describe makes no sense.  Why didn't you appeal?  You don't have to go through your guidance counselor to do that.

Why in the world would he be covering his ass?  He didn't do anything wrong.  I worked in his office during my study hall the previous year and we had a good relationship... if anything, he probably told me a lot more than he would have to any other student in that situation; not to mention, how many guidance counselors get phone calls from university admissions departments who think they're being punked?

It's not like he was trying to lift my spirits either, he knew I had plenty of other options and that UW wasn't even my 1st choice.  Appealing wasn't even an option I knew existed at the time; even if I had, I wouldn't have.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
Could be covering his ass because he gave you poor advice regarding issues that you may have had with your transcript, transferring schools, etc.

I just have never heard of someone rejected because of "quotas and timing."  I really doubt that was the actual reason you were rejected.  My guess is that they suspected issues with your transcript, which is what prompted the call, and the answers they got weren't satisfactory. 

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »
You said, "SHOE IN!"

http://youtu.be/jzEhVsME8p4

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
Could be covering his ass because he gave you poor advice regarding issues that you may have had with your transcript, transferring schools, etc.

I just have never heard of someone rejected because of "quotas and timing."  I really doubt that was the actual reason you were rejected.  My guess is that they suspected issues with your transcript, which is what prompted the call, and the answers they got weren't satisfactory. 

Bear in mind this was well before the Gratz & Gutter v. Michigan cases that went to the Supreme Court... quotas weren't a secret then or now, heck they were  still required in the 90's.  In any event, if you still don't want to believe that UW has a quota system, fine.  Perhaps someone who works for an institution of higher education can explain why the UW is so adamantly fighting the recent FOIA requests for admissions data that would either substantiate or disprove such a wacky accusation.

As I said, the phone call was weeks after I had already been rejected.  But this isn't about me... I was just sharing my personal, unique experience to back up my statement and belief that getting admitted to the UW isn't a cake walk and doesn't exist as a viable option for parents who ultimately end up having to send their kids to private schools of various calibers.  If I'm wrong and you have to be dumb as a rock to not get admitted to the UW, great; I don't care.  More power to the parents who send their dumb kids to UW because they couldn't get admitted to Arizona State.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
But your "unique, personal experience" is just that.  That is quite the backtrack from the blanket comment that it takes the luck of a lottery for a white kid to get into UW. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »
I find this interesting .. I've "been told" / always thought / UW-Madison was really hard to get in to .. other than anecdotal stories, anyone have data?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2011, 07:09:14 AM »
I find this interesting .. I've "been told" / always thought / UW-Madison was really hard to get in to .. other than anecdotal stories, anyone have data?

http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth1.html

Goose

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
I would bet a higher % of Homestead kids are accepted to UW over USM kids. For many USchool kids UW is a backup school and most chose their dream school over UW. Their is a prejudice at UW against certain private schools. If you do not believe this attend a graduation at USchool or Brookfield Academy and read the program and see the college choices for the grads.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2011, 10:37:42 AM »
You can put away your academic peckers guys.

The issue is admission for in state kids vs. out of state.  UW is harder to get into for kids from Wisconsin than it was 15 years ago.  The reason is UW needs out of state tuition $$.  This is an issue @ U of I also.

Admission standards have gone up over the years, but this is because there are more applications submitted.  More kids going to college for the same or fewer spots means stricter admission standards.  Yield management means restricting discounts on seats, selling more seats to those who will pay more.                                                      

Goose

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:46 AM »
Ringout--Really? Pecker away:)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
You can put away your academic peckers guys.

The issue is admission for in state kids vs. out of state.  UW is harder to get into for kids from Wisconsin than it was 15 years ago.  The reason is UW needs out of state tuition $$.  This is an issue @ U of I also.

Admission standards have gone up over the years, but this is because there are more applications submitted.  More kids going to college for the same or fewer spots means stricter admission standards.  Yield management means restricting discounts on seats, selling more seats to those who will pay more.                                                       

Definitely.  And you won't find that in a FAQ.  Another way to look at this is that out of state kids have been keeping the costs lower for those in-state students that are admitted.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
Ringout--Really? Pecker away:)

Well, I had a 42 ACT and a 5.7 GPA and I got into UW.  Oh yeah, well anybody with a lick of sense should be able to get into UW....blah blah blah.

The fast is, there are Wisconsin kids who don't get into UW, who are college material.  The fact that you never see a prof till your junior year just adds to the injustice.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
Well, I had a 42 ACT and a 5.7 GPA and I got into UW.  Oh yeah, well anybody with a lick of sense should be able to get into UW....blah blah blah.

The fast is, there are Wisconsin kids who don't get into UW, who are college material.  The fact that you never see a prof till your junior year just adds to the injustice.

Well, there are 12 other four-year campuses where if you finish in the top half of your class you are guaranteed admission.  And there are dozens of two year campuses were the only real requirement is that your check doesn't bounce.  No injustice at all.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »

Well, there are 12 other four-year campuses where if you finish in the top half of your class you are guaranteed admission.  And there are dozens of two year campuses were the only real requirement is that your check doesn't bounce.  No injustice at all.

Let them eat cake!

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:55 PM »
I did Fr/So years at a highly regarded college-prep private high school in Minnesota, and then Jr/Sr years (and graduated) from a semi-rural Wisconsin public high school.  My ACT score was the highest in five years at the latter, but probably was only 90th percentile at the former.  My class rank over the first two years was upper 1/3 at the former; my rank during my last two years at graduation was lower half.  (Confused?  Read on...)

humblebrag

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »
The earlier post is true about state schools wanting out-of-state students more nowadays.

The heralded University of California system has upped their % of accepted out-of-state students to offset their budget issues (a whole different crap bag).

It's even worse if your state school is renown for a certain academic program.
SS Marquette

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »
Middle of the road school that is not on the radar screen of most folks, especially non-Catholics.

REALLY?? that has got to be the most narrow-minded response i've read.  still living with momma??