[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What is Marquette's national reputation/perception?  (Read 43852 times)

MUeng

• All American
Re: What is Marquette's national reputation/perception?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
generally people in Colorado Springs have never heard of Marq except for sports fans who say "hey you guys are pretty good at basketball."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »

Very nice, MU Hilltopper.  There are 174 reviews from Marquette students on the Prowler website, and you chose to quote the one that said nearly all of the girls are ugly.

Here are the consolidated results from ALL of the reviews:

B+
 Academics

A-
 Athletics

B-
 Campus Dining
 •
B-
 Campus Housing
 •
C
 Campus Strictness
 •
B-
 Computers

C-
 Diversity

B-
 Drug Safety
 •
C+
 Facilities

B+
 Girls

B
 Greek Life
 •
B
 Guys

B-
 Health & Safety
 •
B+
 Local Atmosphere
 •
A-
 Nightlife

C+
 Off-Campus Dining
 •
B
 Off-Campus Housing
 •
C+
 Parking

A
 Transportation

C
Weather

As you can see, the overall score for "Girls" was a B+, which, by the way, is higher than the score for "Guys".

When I went to school at MU in the early 2000s the girls were supremely terrible.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
But, but.... I graduated from MU 20 years ago next May....  I went to MU in the late 1980's and early 1990's....
I rememeber MU playing Loyola of Chicago every year....

And now your degree is worth a whole lot more.  MANY kids I went to school with in the late 70s or early 80s would never get into MU today.  Marquette now draws lots of kids with 30+ ACT scores.  In fact, I know that in the most selective colleges on campus, a 27 or 28 might not get you accepted anymore.  Last year's application pool was 22,000+; for 2,000 slots!  I haven't yet heard the number for this year but 25,000 is not out of the question.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
And now your degree is worth a whole lot more. 

Not really.  Once you are 20 years out, where you got your degree really isn't all that important.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
The number who apply to school X means diddly squat these days.   Taken from a NYTimes article:

"There was a time when kids applied to three or four schools, then to six or seven schools, and now, 10 or more is not uncommon," said John Maguire, a higher education consultant.

Officials said the trend was a result of demographics, aggressive recruiting, the ease of online applications and more students applying to ever more colleges as a safety net. The swelling population of 18-year-olds is not supposed to peak until 2009, when the largest group of high school seniors in the nation's history, 3.2 million, are to graduate.

.. Added to that .. sending your kids to college is far more a part of the "American Dream" than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago, i.e., not only are there demographic mountains of young kids, but way more parents pushing them to apply .. and apply to 3x more schools, since costs are so high, the school with the best financial aid package might be the only one you can afford.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »
Another reason is that many colleges and universities, especially privates, want you to apply to build up their exclusivity ranking for USN&WR.  That is why there are hardly any application fees any longer.  They used to be commonplace among private schools.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »

Not really.  Once you are 20 years out, where you got your degree really isn't all that important.
Probably depends on the field in which you work, but I think 20 years is really closer to 5. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
I agree with the statement that kids apply to more schools today so the raw application numbers are not particularly signifcant.  Still, there is no question that today's MU student body is light years ahead of the student body from 20 to 30 years ago.  No contest.  And of course one's work record means more than one's specific degree 20 years into your career.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
Probably depends on the field in which you work, but I think 20 years is really closer to 5. 

Yeah, I used the 20 because of the frame of reference.  After your first job, it doesn't matter much.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
The biggest reason apps are up is more schools use the Common Application. Easy, just submit the same app to many schools and pay the fee.9
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
1. I used to have a blue sweatshirt with the gold M on the heart. Almost everybody thought it meant I went to Michigan. I ended up donating it to Goodwill.

2. Many, many people I encounter think Marquette is in Michigan. When the subject of "where did you go to school" comes up, I usually say: "Marquette University in Milwaukee." The response is always, "Oh, that's a good school." I think people say that even if they don't know anything about it.

3. Sports fans usually have positive things to say about Marquette. Younger fans know we've been very competitive lately. Older fans wax poetic about Al. Funny ... hardly anybody mentions Bob Dukiet.

4. I fell in love with 2 girls during my time at Marquette. Neither was close to ugly. I ended up marrying one of them ... and she is still damn cute nearly 30 years later. Most friends back when I was in school thought I had greatly overskiied my slope, and most friends now feel the same is true! In my book, Marquette girls rock!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
Another reason is that many colleges and universities, especially privates, want you to apply to build up their exclusivity ranking for USN&WR.  That is why there are hardly any application fees any longer.  They used to be commonplace among private schools.

That's so wrong.

Application fees are on the up and up!!!
SS Marquette

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
Can't understate the impact of the Common Application. If I remember correctly (it's been over 8 years), you only even need to check a box about where to send the application... you don't even need to send it yourself to the individual schools.

My guess is that fees are still big at top-25 type schools, who want to rake in a few million off of the people who will apply regardless of the fee (I'm guessing it's more inelastic for Harvard than for Marquette or DePaul).

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »

4. I fell in love with 2 girls during my time at Marquette. Neither was close to ugly. I ended up marrying one of them ... and she is still damn cute nearly 30 years later. Most friends back when I was in school thought I had greatly overskiied my slope, and most friends now feel the same is true! In my book, Marquette girls rock!!!

I traded up too.  Merry Christmas honey.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
I traded up too.  Merry Christmas honey.

Merry Christmas to you, too, darling.  I am sorry you got stuck with one of those  butt-ugly Marquette girls. 
Have some patience, FFS.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
Anyone familiar with MU's policy on children of alumni?  Any benefit to chances of being enrolled?

Also, do they offer something like an 80% tuition discount if both parents went to MU?  Not asking for free tuition, that would be greedy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
Anyone familiar with MU's policy on children of alumni?  Any benefit to chances of being enrolled?

Also, do they offer something like an 80% tuition discount if both parents went to MU?  Not asking for free tuition, that would be greedy.

Yes.  If your child is admitted, they will get a scholarship offer that is based on a number of factors including if they are children of alumni.  From personal experience, I get the impression it isn't that important a factor compared to others.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 07:50:16 AM »
While MU certain encourages legacy students, I have no reason to believe that merit scholarships are in any way affected.  And the figure of 80% is way off.  A top merit scholarship (and we're talking about kids with 4.0 GPAs and 34-36 ACT's) approaches 50%.  Sure there's one or two that get a full ride but those are very, very rare.  A very good student (call that a 28-29 ACT) might see $5,000 per year in merit aid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »
While MU certain encourages legacy students, I have no reason to believe that merit scholarships are in any way affected.  And the figure of 80% is way off.  A top merit scholarship (and we're talking about kids with 4.0 GPAs and 34-36 ACT's) approaches 50%.  Sure there's one or two that get a full ride but those are very, very rare.  A very good student (call that a 28-29 ACT) might see $5,000 per year in merit aid.

+1.  And this is why I have talked about MU's relatively small scholarship endowment being a problem.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »
They're working on it Wayne.  It has come a long way in the last 10 years but more progress is needed and there is a significant headwind in this economy.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
That's so wrong.

Application fees are on the up and up!!!

Marquette no longer has application fees if you apply prior to the early acceptance deadline and do it online.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 09:29:37 AM »
Marquette no longer has application fees if you apply prior to the early acceptance deadline and do it online.

I get the distinct impression that schools (not just Marquette) are doing this simply to drive down their acceptance rate.  Too many colleges and universities seem to be focused on meaningless statistics - which can be easily manipulated - in marketing their institution; however, I can't say I'd blame them... they're simply giving what today's HS senior wants --- an easy way to compare apples to oranges.

Sometimes the "best" school isn't the "best school for you."  The numbers can deceive you into believing otherwise.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
When I went to school at MU in the early 2000s the girls were supremely terrible.
+1. I was there 2003-2007. It's not an insult, really. It's just a fact. Marquette's female population leaves much to be desired. Somewhere between 5-10% of the girls were attractive. It also comes with being in a cold climate; compare the state of Wisconsin women to women in Florida. Even visiting friends at IU, the girls were much more attractive as a percentage of the population.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
I love all these fabulously handsome guys b*tch*ing about MU girls.  If you complain about MU girls, you must post a picture of yourself.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
I love all these fabulously handsome guys b*tch*ing about MU girls.  If you complain about MU girls, you must post a picture of yourself.

LOL, I honestly was ready to post the same thing.  I think some of these guys look in the mirror and see someone that the rest of us don't!  If weather impacts MU women negatively, wouldn't it have the same effect on some of these addonisses?

feedback