[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What is Marquette's national reputation/perception?  (Read 43851 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: What is Marquette's national reputation/perception?
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
While out during my tenure at MU we were told by UWM and UW girls that MU guys were 'hot'.

If you really want me to post a picture... nahhh... I'm pretty easy to find.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »
While out during my tenure at MU we were told by UWM and UW girls that MU guys were 'hot'.

If you really want me to post a picture... nahhh... I'm pretty easy to find.

Well, boys, you can dish it out but you can't take it?  I think it is put up or shut up time.

And I don't want to hear excuses about not having a picture.  All of you alums before the class of 1996 can PM me your real name and I can pull it out of the Hilltop archives.

I must say, in my day many of you guys were no prize, either.  Once-a-semester haircut, 5-day growth of beard, beer belly, Real Chili-stained sweatshirt.....
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
Well, boys, you can dish it out but you can't take it?  I think it is put up or shut up time.

And I don't want to hear excuses about not having a picture.  All of you alums before the class of 1996 can PM me your real name and I can pull it out of the Hilltop archives.

I must say, in my day many of you guys were no prize, either.  Once-a-semester haircut, 5-day growth of beard, beer belly, Real Chili-stained sweatshirt.....

Sweet!  I'm exempt!

Also, I believe the expression is, "Ladies, first".
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:05:18 PM by Hards_Alumni »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
I gotta think some of the dudes on this board are actually chicks and vice versa. If you really need to check out a picture of F*ckin', your local post office would have the recent posted.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
I get the distinct impression that Hards needs the exemption....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
I get the distinct impression that Hards needs the exemption....

I really don't, and as I said, I'm pretty easy to find.

Keep defending your girlfriend bro, hopefully you'll get laid for it!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »
Well, boys, you can dish it out but you can't take it?  I think it is put up or shut up time.

And I don't want to hear excuses about not having a picture.  All of you alums before the class of 1996 can PM me your real name and I can pull it out of the Hilltop archives.

I must say, in my day many of you guys were no prize, either.  Once-a-semester haircut, 5-day growth of beard, beer belly, Real Chili-stained sweatshirt.....
I'm really not trying to start an argument here...

But no one ever said the male population was a bunch of models. The simple fact is, that relative to percentages, nearly any school south of the mason-dixon line is going to have more attractive women. That may apply to the men to, I dunno.  But it does apply to the Marquette women.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
My experience is that MU's reputation gets bunched together w/ Milwaukee's fat (men & women) & drunk image. Dece academics, pretty good bball, lots of boozing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »

Wait a minute.  I resemble that remark.  Except for the beard; I could only grow a nice stash.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2011, 07:20:35 AM »
My experience is that MU's reputation gets bunched together w/ Milwaukee's fat (men & women) & drunk image. Dece academics, pretty good bball, lots of boozing.

An undeserved reputation.  A few years back it was one of the top 10 fittest in the nation.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »
An undeserved reputation.  A few years back it was one of the top 10 fittest in the nation.

http://www.homer-simpson-quotes.com/85
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American

LON

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

"Don't condescend me, man. I'll f***kin' kill ya, man."

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
An undeserved reputation.  A few years back it was one of the top 10 fittest in the nation.

According to the Onion? A few years back you could still smoke in just about anywhere but an operating room.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:24:51 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

LON

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
According to the Onion? A few years back you could still smoke in just about anywhere but an operating room.
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/top-25-fittest-and-fattest-cities-in-the-u-s-351934.html

Top Fittest Cities

1. Salt Lake City, UT
2. Colorado Springs, CO
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Denver, CO
5. Albuquerque, NM
6. Portland, OR
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Seattle, WA
9. Omaha, NE
10. Virginia Beach, VA
11. Milwaukee, WI
12. San Francisco, CA
13. Tucson, AZ
14. Boston, MA
15. Cleveland, OH
16. St. Louis, MO
17. Austin, TX
18. Washington, DC
19. Sacramento, CA
20. Oakland, CA
21. Atlanta, GA
22. Fresno, CA
23. Tampa, FL
24. Nashville-Davidson, TN
25. Pittsburgh, PA

Top Fattest Cities

1. Miami, FL
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. San Antonio, TX
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. New York, NY
6. Houston, TX
7. El Paso, TX
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Louisville-Jefferson, KY
11. Memphis, TN
12. Detroit, MI
13. Chicago, IL
14. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
15. San Jose, CA
16. Tulsa, OK
17. Baltimore, MD
18. Columbus, OH
19. Raleigh, NC
20. Philadelphia, PA
21. L.A.-Long Beach, CA
22. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
23. Indianapolis, IN
24. San Diego, CA
25. Kansas City, MO

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »

Like a lot of cities.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »
Men's Health 2010. The grading criteria is kind of meh. It includes Type 2 diabetes (which accounts for only 2 - 3% of the entire population in this country). However, rankings ignore heart disease (the leading cause of death in the US).

http://www.menshealth.com/fattestcities2010/

Fattest
1. Corpus Christi, TX
4. Dallas, TX
5. Memphis, TN
15. Philadelphia, PA
20. Las Vegas, NV
22. Chicago, IL
27. Detroit, MI
30. Fresno, CA
34. Milwaukee, WI
44. Pittsburgh, PA
49. St. Louis, MO
75. New York, NY (seems awfully low to me)
82. Atlanta, GA
94. Cincinnati, OH

According to this Gallup Poll the midwest states are all similar in obesity percentages.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/141734/One-Three-Adults-Obese-America-Three-Obese-States.aspx#2

Goose

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
I have two high school aged kids that both would like to go to MU. If I did not have a long, long history with MU I would not pay the freight at MU. I believe MU is a good school which has been a great place for my family. That said, I could not see paying MU tuition if not for the long family history.

Hate to say it but UW has great reputation and is far better investment for WI residents. Breaks my heart to say that but now I am the guy writing the checks.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
Hate to say it but UW has great reputation and is far better investment for WI residents.

Only if you consider playing the lottery an "investment."  Because if you're not a minority or from an underprivileged background, that's the kind of luck it takes to get into the UW these days.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »
Only if you consider playing the lottery an "investment."  Because if you're not a minority or from an underprivileged background, that's the kind of luck it takes to get into the UW these days.

That is a bunch of crap.  If you have a 3.5 GPA in college prep courses, and have a 26+ ACT, you are going to be admitted regardless of your status.  There are thousands of kids like that across Wisconsin in any given year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »

That is a bunch of crap.  If you have a 3.5 GPA in college prep courses, and have a 26+ ACT, you are going to be admitted regardless of your status.  There are thousands of kids like that across Wisconsin in any given year.

Back in 2000, I exceeded your above criteria (by a bit) AND had 12 college credits.  I was vice pres of my senior class, student council 3 years, a tutor for 3rd graders, a mentor, in sports and a ton of clubs.

I was wait-listed until APRIL, and by that time I had decided to go to Marquette.

Getting into UW as a Wisconsin resident is extremely difficult.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
To transfer to UW is actually much easier than getting accepted. I reluctantly admit my oldest son went to MU for 1+ years and transferred to UW. If my son had attended UWM he would have been accepted one semester earlier. All said and done the 2+ years at UW a better investment.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
Back in 2000, I exceeded your above criteria (by a bit) AND had 12 college credits.  I was vice pres of my senior class, student council 3 years, a tutor for 3rd graders, a mentor, in sports and a ton of clubs.

I was wait-listed until APRIL, and by that time I had decided to go to Marquette.

Getting into UW as a Wisconsin resident is extremely difficult.

I literally know dozens of white, middle class high school students who have been admitted with essentially the criteria I listed.  The school you went to matters.  The extracurriculars are generally touted by the school, but very much an overrated part of the admission process.  No offense, but a "tutor for 3rd graders" isn't going to do much with most admissions officers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:17:30 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
To transfer to UW is actually much easier than getting accepted. I reluctantly admit my oldest son went to MU for 1+ years and transferred to UW. If my son had attended UWM he would have been accepted one semester earlier. All said and done the 2+ years at UW a better investment.

Hell, he goes to UW-Waukesha or one of the other two year colleges, he can transfer to UW easier.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »

Sorry for your apparent deficiencies because I literally know dozens of white, middle class high school students who have been admitted with essentially the criteria I listed.

Most likely my problem was that I was barely in the top 1/3 of my class (we had 10 kids with 4.0s out of a 120 person class, and the salutatorian had gotten ONE B+), and I took challenging classes and college courses which brought down my GPA.  I knew that at least one of the 4.0 students had taken nearly every art class available.

feedback