[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Follow up on Tribune's assault story  (Read 29785 times)

timinatorx3

• Starter

mu89

• Starter
Re: Follow up on Tribune's assault story
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »
Eek, no bueno.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:43:08 PM »
Let sleeping dogs lie.

The isolation she felt on campus after the alleged attack peaked after the basketball team received an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Seemingly everywhere she went on campus, students were wearing Golden Eagles T-shirts. Her residence hall floor was decorated with blue-and-gold streamers. When students gathered to watch the games, she stayed alone in her dorm room.

This is one of the most idiotic lines I have ever read in an article ever...That is our mascot, it is on almost all of the school's clothing, and those are our school colors...What an idiotic line. In addition they never say the players shoved the "big girl shots" down their throats...this journalism is very slanted. I know that something happened, but I believe that the investigation showed that their was nothing to confirm these allegations.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:47:43 PM by jhags15 »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
Ah, the hatchet piece to follow up on the hatchet piece... complete with lawyer quotes!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
My favorite part is the throwaway line about one girl's recollection possibly being clouded by alcohol. What they neglect to say is she got drunk and started giving lapdances to the players.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:11:57 PM »
The details it gives about the girls and their conduct sheds alot of light on how such a situation could occur.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
One of the woman's friends told police she became uncomfortable as the night wore on. The friend said an athlete poured alcohol into cups for the women and called them "big girl shots."

She became uncomfortable AS THE NIGHT WORE ON!!!! Why didn't you leave then?  Did the players force her to get drunk too?

I'm not saying the players are entirely without blame but come on. 

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
This is why our players get called thugs, regardless of the graduation rate stats.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »
Who cares...they are gone and we are moving forward.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:41:14 PM »
Funny how she went to the police two days after Marquette beat Syracuse to advance to the Sweet 16 when the incident occurred 5 months prior.

I'm obviosuly biased but it sounds like she had too much to drink, made a drunken mistake like most college kids, and waited until an opportune moment to get attention. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:43:35 PM by TallTitan34 »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 11:48:08 PM »
The biggest point that stood out to me was that her closest friends bailed on her. True friends would stand by someone who had been through a tramatic experience like she claims to have gone through. IMO, that would far outweigh concerns over "social status." My initial impression is that those closest to her think she's full of it. The fact that she remains at MU despite feeling "alone" and "isolated" also reeks of someone who craves attention.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:59:05 PM »
That's a lot of bashing the alleged victim, and it reflects poorly on the whole MU community.

Both sides probably deserve some of the blame. It's an awful, ugly situation, and hopefully it can be prevented in the future.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 12:02:22 AM »
The biggest point that stood out to me was that her closest friends bailed on her. True friends would stand by someone who had been through a tramatic experience like she claims to have gone through. IMO, that would far outweigh concerns over "social status." My initial impression is that those closest to her think she's full of it. The fact that she remains at MU despite feeling "alone" and "isolated" also reeks of someone who craves attention.

Keep in mind that this happened 2 months into her freshman year. A lot of people make "best friends" right away that don't last long. Factor in all of this, and it's not far-fetched to think that some would rather cut and run than stand by the girl.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »
WOW. The story is the main story on the front of the tribune.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:03:16 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
She told police that athletes were "dancing inappropriately"

I think I'd be more shocked if there wasn't inappropriate dancing at a college party.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:24:22 AM »
Let sleeping dogs lie.

The isolation she felt on campus after the alleged attack peaked after the basketball team received an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Seemingly everywhere she went on campus, students were wearing Golden Eagles T-shirts. Her residence hall floor was decorated with blue-and-gold streamers. When students gathered to watch the games, she stayed alone in her dorm room.

This is one of the most idiotic lines I have ever read in an article ever...That is our mascot, it is on almost all of the school's clothing, and those are our school colors...What an idiotic line.

They are just stating how "she felt."  The Tribune isn't saying it was inappropriate to decorate the residence hall.

Who cares...they are gone and we are moving forward.

Uhhh...not all of them.  It even states that in the article.

That's a lot of bashing the alleged victim, and it reflects poorly on the whole MU community.

Both sides probably deserve some of the blame. It's an awful, ugly situation, and hopefully it can be prevented in the future.

Amen.  Gotta love the groundless speculation.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »
College rape accusations are about as reliable as a junkie on payday. The Tribune has embarrassed itself with this one. This writer is trying to make a name for himself with a non story.

Somebody's bucking for a promotion...probably that pederast Hanrahan.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:56 AM »
They are all idiots (the girl and the players) for putting themselves in a situation that would lead to something like this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 08:25:04 AM »
They are just stating how "she felt."  The Tribune isn't saying it was inappropriate to decorate the residence hall.

Uhhh...not all of them.  It even states that in the article.

Amen.  Gotta love the groundless speculation.

My main problem lies with the way that stories are written nowadays.  Obviously, the idea is to sell as many newspapers (people still buy them for some reason) as possible.  What is most likely to sell papers?  "Journalism" like this is what sells papers.  It gets people all riled up when they can identify with a poor helpless drunk girl (because a lot of people have daughters or know daughters who attend college), and her plight against the faceless university.

Words matter.  Using words like "attack" (invokes thoughts of violence), "outcast among some of her closest friends" (who drew88 speculates she could not possess, having only been at school some two months).  These guys were never going to get a fair shake in this article.

While I do not condone the horrifying behavior of the student athletes, I think that the behavior of the victim was also questionable.  I know it is extremely easy to look back at a situation and say that you were uncomfortable because you are now thinking clearly.  How many people get in a car and drive home when they are a little too drunk, and realize how stupid that decision was the next day?  What I am getting at is that the victim doesn't seem to accept any of the blame herself (or at least that is the way the Trib seems to report it).  She drank the "big girl shots".  She was at a private party (I know the reasons people go to private parties... to hook up... at least that is why I went).  She went into a room with three of the guys.  The blame should be shared by all who made the poor decisions... not just by the student athletes who are being demonized while the victim is being martyred.

To put it plainly, I am pleased that she went to police... I wish she'd gone earlier, in fact.  And I am very happy with the changes to the Marquette policies.  I just think that this article is so obviously one sided that it should be taken for what it is.  One sided.

I can't wait for the response to this... I feel like I just tossed a hunk of meat to a pack of starving wolverines.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:17 AM »
The biggest point that stood out to me was that her closest friends bailed on her. True friends would stand by someone who had been through a traumatic experience like she claims to have gone through. IMO, that would far outweigh concerns over "social status." My initial impression is that those closest to her think she's full of it.

Freaking Bingo.  Friends that bolt because they value their basketball team and "social status" over, you know, an assault committed upon a friend?   No freaking way.   I don't believe that for a second.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
I actually don't have a problem with what you said.  What I don't like is when people say "Well, I bet *this* is what happened..." and then give their little theory about what occured (mostly) in an attempt to vindicate the players.

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 08:50:28 AM »
Any publicity is good publicity....right??

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »

I can't wait for the response to this... I feel like I just tossed a hunk of meat to a pack of starving wolverines.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »

I felt the reference to the school rallying behind the basketball team was included to further the inference that the basketball program "runs" (for lack of a better term) the university.