[Today at 05:32:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] White Team Pulls Away For 66-63 Double OT Win In Scrimmage  (Read 9619 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Shocked that anyone here didn't know there was a scrimmage.  MUScoop's launch party was practically HH 2006 (Yes, 5 years ago...I think I missed the b-day on Oct 25?).  As usual, huge props to 'topper for attending and providing a little coverage of the event.

As a secondary shocker, HH was listed in the "Next Up" Box for the past 2 weeks.  If you guys aren't looking at that thing I'll gladly stop editing it!

GGGG

• All American
No, please keep that box.  I actually look at it all of the time.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
I have it miniaturized because it's gigantic otherwise :(

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Shocked that anyone here didn't know there was a scrimmage.  MUScoop's launch party was practically HH 2006 (Yes, 5 years ago...I think I missed the b-day on Oct 25?).  As usual, huge props to 'topper for attending and providing a little coverage of the event.

As a secondary shocker, HH was listed in the "Next Up" Box for the past 2 weeks.  If you guys aren't looking at that thing I'll gladly stop editing it!

don't get rid of the box.  already too many dudes around here.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Based on the fact that he went 1-2 with three turnovers in 13 minutes of play???

There you go again. Speculating based on a box score and having the temerity to doubt the word of someone who was "in the room". Have you no shame?

NersEllenson

• All American
don't get rid of the box.  already too many dudes around here.
Well played

and Very Well played!:

There you go again. Speculating based on a box score and having the temerity to doubt the word of someone who was "in the room". Have you no shame?

Own up Sultan - Lenny's got you pretty good here.  Hopefully you can appreciate the quick wit Lenny's demonstrated.   ;D

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
Some additional things I noticed:

- I don't think they ever went under 10sec. in the shot clock until the end of game situations. I don't know if this is by design, or if the guys were just enjoying getting up and down.

- Junior looked great, which is huge. D. Wilson looked ok, but if he is really the defensive player Buzz has claimed, I think it means Junior could have a great year.

- Vander looked good at everything except for shooting. He held his own against DJO most of the night. If he can be serviceable with his jumper, he's going to be good. If he ever gets a good jumper, he could be all-conf.

- Jamil Wilson is the best post entry passer I have seen. I know it sounds silly, but he has long arms and a nice touch. He can reach out and bounce it around anybody. Nice player on the wing, and could also play high post against a 2-3 zone. He and gardner or even he and jae playing high/low against a zone would be very nice.

- Jae looked bad, but I have to assume it was an off night.

- Gardner is a good role player and has some tricky moves... but I'm not quite as high on his as some others. He never shot a 3, or any sort of jumper for that matter. A lot of spinning and awkward hook shots in the lane. He made several of them however, so that is not a bad shot. Perfect back-up center.
- Otule looked good, but still dropped some passes and some balls he should have had. With this said, he has built himself into a very nice D1 center. Big, strong, mobile, sharp elbows. Better than serviceable.

- Jamail has an awesome flat-top fade that looks even better in person. Nice stroke, but didn't really stand out.

- Juan Anderson looked comfortable. Made a couple of nice plays and had no noticeable omissions/errors.

- Jake Thomas has good size, and can shoot it. He can shoot it at a big east level and big east speed. His minutes will solely be determined by his ability to defend. I think he will play 10+min per game next year. 
I think there are two things you need to consider when watching Gardner against Otule. First, while most centers Gardner will face will be taller than Gardner, most of them will not be as tall and strong as Otule. Second , and probably the most important, Otule by now knows all of Gardner's moves since he plays against him everyday. Gardner will be  a nightmere matchup for most centers who only has a scouting report to go by.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
No, please keep that box.  I actually look at it all of the time.

No worries - thinly veiled threat. 

I have it miniaturized because it's gigantic otherwise :(

Using chrome on a PC?  Or other device?  Or just personal taste that it takes up too much space?  Send me a PM if you like. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I think there are two things you need to consider when watching Gardner against Otule. First, while most centers Gardner will face will be taller than Gardner, most of them will not be as tall and strong as Otule. Second , and probably the most important, Otule by now knows all of Gardner's moves since he plays against him everyday. Gardner will be  a nightmere matchup for most centers who only has a scouting report to go by.

This is a good point. I am very excited to see what the Ox can bring to the table this year. Him, and JJ are the big X factors for me. I am actually counting on Wilson being our 3rd go-to guy.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.

Totally fair, and probably accurate. However, scouting reports are going to get out on Gardner, so he has to continue his go-to and counter moves when those are taken away. He doesn't get much lift, so he will have to use his body to create space to get the ball up (which he has done well in the past).

I still think he's a good role player with some solid potential. I'm just not quite as high as some others who think he is going to make a huge jump this year. I think 7pts and 5reb. would be a good year from him. I know others are expecting a lot more.

Lennys Tap

• All American

I still think he's a good role player with some solid potential. I'm just not quite as high as some others who think he is going to make a huge jump this year. I think 7pts and 5reb. would be a good year from him. I know others are expecting a lot more.

I think 7-9 pts and 4-5 rbs per game would be awesome.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Totally fair, and probably accurate. However, scouting reports are going to get out on Gardner, so he has to continue his go-to and counter moves when those are taken away. He doesn't get much lift, so he will have to use his body to create space to get the ball up (which he has done well in the past).

I agree with you.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he really struggles this year.  I hope I am wrong.

GOO

• All American
Please keep the box. I look at it for next game info, etc.

Don't forget that Gardner is adding a jump shot. He can help draw a defender out of the post when needed. If left alone he will get points off a jumper.

GGGG

• All American
I agree with you.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he really struggles this year.  I hope I am wrong.

He really struggled for good portions of last year too.  At times, he simply couldn't defend anyone and we would have to go small against bigger teams because of it.  I believe that we will definately see improvement, but not to the extent that some on the board have hyped him up.

NersEllenson

• All American

He really struggled for good portions of last year too.  At times, he simply couldn't defend anyone and we would have to go small against bigger teams because of it.  I believe that we will definately see improvement, but not to the extent that some on the board have hyped him up.

Gardner was one of the country's most efficient offensive players this past season as a freshman.  Put me in the camp that has hyped him up for this year.  Just as you can pick at Gardner's defensive ability, the same can be done with Otule's offensive limitations, frequent dropped passes, and lack of assists from the post.

I suspect Davante has made some good strides in his defensive ability - and it would not surprise me to see DG get 15-20 minutes per game this year - which should translate into roughly 8-10ppg...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
I didn't bring up Otule because he wasn't the subject of the discussion, but I would argue that it was more important to get defense out of the center position last year because we had plenty of offensive firepower. 

This year very well could be different.  I think your minute breakdown might be on target.  The only hesitation I have is that I doubt we will see much of Gardner and Otule on the floor together, but there will be some times where we see neither on the floor.  So for instance, if we get 34 minutes out of our centers this year, I don't think it is unreasonable to have them be divided up 18 and 16.  But that is really going to depend on those defensive strides we hope to see.

The point breakdown...well I don't know.  Yeah he was efficient last year, but efficiency doesn't hold up the more minutes they play.  Last year, that would have made him the 4th or 5th highest scorer on the team.  It's possible...we will have to see.

bilsu

• All American
I would be disappointed if Gardner only averaged 7 points per game. I am expecting 10 points. Remember last year he hurt his shoulder and that set him back quite a bit. The only problem with his game is his defense, because he is not quick. However, there are not a lot of good offensive centers in college basketball. However, it does limit MU's team man to man gambling defense. However, if you believe Buzz that defense is designed to keep the ball out of the post.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Otule dominated Gardner down low and also impressed at the FT line. GoMarquette had him with 22, we had him with 17, but no matter he still was a force.

According to the box score

Otule: 22 pts on 6-10 (10-10 from FT); 5 rebounds (2 off); 4 PF; 2 Assists; 4 turnovers; 2 steals in 32 min
Gardner: 12 points on 6-10 (0-1 from FT): 6 rebounds (2 off); 5 PF; 1 assist; 1 turnover in 30 min

Is the reason you believe Otule dominated because he was able to get to the line more and Gardner was not?

Because I look at the rest of Gardner's numbers and they were solid, with fewer turnovers to boot.

Free TFON!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.