[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 206377 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 22 years ago today...
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »
Golden State Warriors fans were given a new symbol, and they adopted it.

This has always been so simple, but MU found a way to f it up.

The old warriors are hung on to because it was ripped away.  Give the name back and a new symbol, in short order that symbol will be adopted.  We have a proxy case. 

Cowards

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Golden State Warriors fans were given a new symbol, and they adopted it.

This has always been so simple, but MU found a way to f it up.

The old warriors are hung on to because it was ripped away.  Give the name back and a new symbol, in short order that symbol will be adopted.  We have a proxy case. 

Cowards

I don't disagree with you. But we can't control what the administration does. We can only control our reaction to it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »
22 years ago I was in college at MU. Holy crap time flies. Glad to be the Last of the (Official) Warriors, but MU will always be Warriors.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
22 years ago I was in college at MU. Holy crap time flies. Glad to be the Last of the (Official) Warriors, but MU will always be Warriors.

Old fugg.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
And because it was taken away, and because the simple thing to do would be to simply associate a new symbol with it but they didn't, the cottage industry exists to go with the ONLY linkage there is.

So stuck up ladies and gents.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARQUETTE-WARRIORS-T-SHIRT-/191325697703?var=&hash=item2c8be676a7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARQUETTE-WARRIORS-T-SHIRT-/201443443638?var=&hash=item2ee6f703b6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARQUETTE-WARRIORS-T-SHIRT-/201409028205?var=&hash=item2ee4e9e06d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Marquette-University-Warriors-T-Shirt-Large-Made-in-the-USA-Old-Mascot-/281802570223?hash=item419cbdf9ef

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARQUETTE-WARRIORS-GRAY-T-SHIRT-/252118999458?hash=item3ab376a1a2

I know PC outrage is kind of your thing on Scoop, but the association of Warriors to Native American imagery isn't the actual reason warriors isn't coming back.  It certainly doesn't help and the university can continue to trot it out as a public reason for not changing.....but even if all imagery were eliminated and/or another symbol selected they will not change back for legal and financial reasons.

It is not changing back, full stop.

No matter how much people wave the PC banner, it will not change.  Right or wrong, for our health and the sake of not wasting effort on a lost cause we should probably move on to something else.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
I know PC outrage is kind of your thing on Scoop, but the association of Warriors to Native American imagery isn't the actual reason warriors isn't coming back.  It certainly doesn't help and the university can continue to trot it out as a public reason for not changing.....but even if all imagery were eliminated and/or another symbol selected they will not change back for legal and financial reasons.

It is not changing back, full stop.

No matter how much people wave the PC banner, it will not change.  Right or wrong, for our health and the sake of not wasting effort on a lost cause we should probably move on to something else.

The point of this thread is to grouse once a year....Chico's is to Crean as mu03eng is to Warriors?

By the way I do agree that being upset that they screwed up in the mid-90's and accepting Wild's ultimate decision in the mid-00's are mutually exclusive.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »
but the association of Warriors to Native American imagery isn't the actual reason warriors isn't coming back.  It certainly doesn't help and the university can continue to trot it out as a public reason for not changing.....but even if all imagery were eliminated and/or another symbol selected they will not change back for legal and financial reasons.

I agree, which is why the silliness by some people here to suggest with comments like "see, Joe blow is wearing a headdress is proof positive..." is such a mentally insulting response.  It's ridiculous and can be solved in a nanosecond.

I agree, it isn't coming back.  So stock up on the headdresses, the shirts, the flags, keep the Warrior chants going and fuel the silliness that some people actually believe that's the reason it isn't coming back, or justifying why it doesn't. 

We agree completely, it isn't coming back.  Some of us will support the Warriors and MU.  Some will support the Golden Eagles and MU.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Do you know what I hate most about the name change?  That alumni use it as their go-to excuse for not financially supporting the university. 

"Yes, I got a wonderful education at Marquette that has had a profoundly positive affect on my life in many ways.  But since they are no longer the Warriors, I say 'F*ck all the students who attend now and in the future!' "
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »
Candidly, I'm tired of debating the Warrior issue. Let's deal with the facts:

1) We're all Warriors -- at least most of us posting here.

2) No matter how much we want to be Warriors, it is never coming back. Ever. The University won't do it. The PC police at the NCAA won't let us do it. If the University would not take millions of dollars to bring back the Warriors -- and we know how Jesuits adore money -- then it will not happen.

3) The scales are tilting to the point where there either are as many living Golden Eagle alums and students as there are Warriors. This scale will get even more and more tilted toward Golden Eagles as we Warriors continue to age and die.

4) We still love our Warriors, no matter what they're called!

Anyone who has had a meaningful experience at Marquette and uses the Warrior decision to avoid contributing is lying about their motives. At this point, the Warrior issue is a smoke screen for something else.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:19:17 PM by dgies9156 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:45 AM »
I agree, which is why the silliness by some people here to suggest with comments like "see, Joe blow is wearing a headdress is proof positive..." is such a mentally insulting response.  It's ridiculous and can be solved in a nanosecond.

I agree, it isn't coming back.  So stock up on the headdresses, the shirts, the flags, keep the Warrior chants going and fuel the silliness that some people actually believe that's the reason it isn't coming back, or justifying why it doesn't. 

We agree completely, it isn't coming back.  Some of us will support the Warriors and MU.  Some will support the Golden Eagles and MU.

Fair enough, I understand your position and I agree.  It is funny, because it is a cut and dry not coming back regardless of student/alumni action....that kind of frees us to do whatever we want.  Where all the warriors and native american imagery you want cause it won't make a difference either way.  :D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
The point of this thread is to grouse once a year....Chico's is to Crean as mu03eng is to Warriors?

By the way I do agree that being upset that they screwed up in the mid-90's and accepting Wild's ultimate decision in the mid-00's are mutually exclusive.

Oh I get the grousing, let's just do it factually :)  I was in high school when the original decision was made and was barely aware of MU at the time, but I will grouse to this day about the original decision because it was a terrible one.

I hate being PC as much as anyone, I just don't want people thinking being PC has anything to do with the continuing ban on warriors at MU.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »

1) We're all Warriors -- at least most of us posting here.

2) No matter how much we want to be Warriors, it is never coming back. Ever. The University won't do it. The PC police at the NCAA won't let us do it. If the University would not take millions of dollars to bring back the Warriors -- and we know how Jesuits adore money -- then it will not happen.

3) The scales are tilting to the point where there either are as many living Golden Eagle alums and students as their are Warriors. This scale will get even more and more tilted toward Golden Eagles as we Warriors continue to age and die.

4) We still love our Warriors, no matter what they're called!

Anyone who has had a meaningful experience at Marquette and uses the Warrior decision to avoid contributing is lying about their motives. At this point, the Warrior issue is a smoke screen for something else.

THIS. 

My parents were Hilltoppers, my wife and I Warriors, and our kids are Golden Eagles.  We ARE Marquette!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »

Good lord.  You are so busy with your rants you don't understand what people are saying.

*I* don't believe that students wearning headresses are a sign that we can't move beyond native imagery.  The administration is going to use that as a reason to not bring back the name.

Stop trying to make your cultural/political points for once to actually READ what people are writing.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »

SS Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »

Absolutely.  The other dumb excuse:  "I still have student loans (sniff)", often used by millenialss who think nothing of regularly dropping $50+ on a weekend night at his or her night spot of choice. 

Marquette isn't asking the younger folks for 5-figure donations If those same people had one fewer beer per weekend, that is easily $250 they could donate to the place that prepared them for the career that paid for all those other beers.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
Anytime you base philanthropy on "obligation," you aren't going to be very successful at raising money. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »
Anytime you base philanthropy on "obligation," you aren't going to be very successful at raising money.

Bingo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
Absolutely.  The other dumb excuse:  "I still have student loans (sniff)", often used by millenialss who think nothing of regularly dropping $50+ on a weekend night at his or her night spot of choice. 

Marquette isn't asking the younger folks for 5-figure donations If those same people had one fewer beer per weekend, that is easily $250 they could donate to the place that prepared them for the career that paid for all those other beers.

Now I agree that excuse is bogus since you can do recurring donations to minimize the immediate expense (it's what I did) but in all fairness $50 ain't exactly going as far these days on a weekend as it did when you were young and student loans are considerably higher than when you were young. 

$250 I think is a bit much of an expectation for right out of college, I gave $50 I'll probably do $100 this year over 12 months on a credit card to get the phone-a-thon caller the biggest bonus possible. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
Now I agree that excuse is bogus since you can do recurring donations to minimize the immediate expense (it's what I did) but in all fairness $50 ain't exactly going as far these days on a weekend as it did when you were young and student loans are considerably higher than when you were young. 

$250 I think is a bit much of an expectation for right out of college, I gave $50 I'll probably do $100 this year over 12 months on a credit card to get the phone-a-thon caller the biggest bonus possible.

It was just an example.  My point is that any Marquette grad that has money to party has money to donate. Saying you can't afford to give anything is a lie.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
It was just an example.  My point is that any Marquette grad that has money to party has money to donate. Saying you can't afford to give anything is a lie.

No but expecting them to give is unrealistic in many cases, and "guilting" them into giving is a way to prevent them from giving philanthropically later on.  There are studies that show that organizations who base their solicitations of young alumni on a sense of obligation or tradition, have declining participation rates as those young alumni grow older.

Young alumni have to feel that their degree and experience have value.  They are also seeking things from their alma mater that haven't traditionally been provided in the past. 

http://www.eduventures.com/2015/02/college-value-impacts-alumni-giving/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »

No but expecting them to give is unrealistic in many cases, and "guilting" them into giving is a way to prevent them from giving philanthropically later on.  There are studies that show that organizations who base their solicitations of young alumni on a sense of obligation or tradition, have declining participation rates as those young alumni grow older.

Young alumni have to feel that their degree and experience have value.  They are also seeking things from their alma mater that haven't traditionally been provided in the past. 

http://www.eduventures.com/2015/02/college-value-impacts-alumni-giving/

I completely get that.  But if you decide to give a reason why you are choosing not to donate, be honest about it.  Don't cry poverty or blame a decision that was made two decades ago that has nothing to do with the main mission of the University.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
I completely get that.  But if you decide to give a reason why you are choosing not to donate, be honest about it.  Don't cry poverty or blame a decision that was made two decades ago that has nothing to do with the main mission of the University.

Oh I agree.  I mean, I don't give to Marquette any longer and it has nothing to do with the name change.  It just isn't all that important to me when compared to the other charities that are out there.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #248 on: October 15, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »

God bless ya, Chick!

My Dad, who was a Hilltopper, told this Warrior long ago that we put back something of what we took. On top of that, there are foundations and philanthropists that give based on the number of Alums who give. So as he drilled into me, "even $10 counts!"

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #249 on: October 15, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
It's over when I say it is....

http://youtu.be/q7vtWB4owdE