[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 29 years ago today...  (Read 206526 times)

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Re: 22 years ago today...
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
Things have gotten a little personal here....

I think something that sometimes get lost in this debate is the perspective of the current students and young alumni. I think there is this myth that every Marquette grad post 94 hates the Golden Eagle and wish they could have been the Warriors. Some of us may have liked to be Warriors (myself included), but the vast majority of us like the Golden Eagle mascot. We identify with it. We are proud to be Golden Eagles. When we hear older alumni, who we look up to, trash the mascot, it hurts. Every time an alumni calls it a furry chicken or says that we are always the Warriors and will never support the Golden Eagle, it feels like an attack on our school. It also feels like we are being put into "2nd class alumni" status. Try to imagine how defensive the older alumni get about the Warriors. The younger alumni feel that way about the Golden Eagles. Just like the pre 94 grads wouldn't like the Warrirors insulted, the recent alums don't want the Golden Eagle insulted. Is it really surprising that younger alumni react with such dismissiveness and judgement? Two of the most reoccurring topics on here are "f*ck the Golden Eagle" and "the current student section sucks."

My 2 cents as a Class of 2010 alum:

I would love it if our official nickname is the Warriors.  I will still chant "Lets Go Warriors" at games, and wear shirts that bear the name Warriors and the old logo.

I think Golden Eagles is a fairly lame nickname, but I am ok with it, really won't complain about it.  Think we could have done better, but won't get worked up about it. 

Now, the changing of the golden eagle logo I think was absurd.  The old logo was fine and original.  The new one, does look like a furry chicken, and is unoriginal.  My assumption when people are making fun of "furry chicken" is in regards to the logo and not the actual nickname itself.  I never heard this reference prior to the golden eagle logo changing.  I refuse to purchase any MU apparel with this new logo because I think its ugly and unoriginal.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #276 on: October 16, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
The furry chicken and chicken-hawk comments are about the mascot, not the logo.  It looks like the chicken hawk from the old foghorn leghorn cartoons.  My problem with new eagle logo is that it looks exactly like the logo Southern Miss uses.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #277 on: October 16, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
We identify with it. We are proud to be Golden Eagles. When we hear older alumni, who we look up to, trash the mascot, it hurts.

If that really hurts you, I'm not sure how you function as an adult.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:05:02 AM by MUfan12 »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »
I asked the gal last night that called from MU about the nickname.  Said it still is asked.  I will be making a donation, but it chaps my ass the decision they made.  Just because one earned a solid education, doesn't mean you have to support everything the school does, either.  One way to do that is with the wallet.  That being said, I donate, but I donate to my other alma maters, too, when I didn't use to do that.  And yes, part of it is because of the decision that was made.  Not because of the PC part of it, but because a very simple solution was easily EASILY  EASILY achieved.  The fact that it wasn't to this day bothers me about the competency of the university at times.

You sound like a spiteful individual there

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
That's my point TAMU. We Warriors are dying or dribbling. At some point, we need to move on.

If I thought there was any way in which the Warriors could come back, I'd use my limited, limited influence to help facilitate it. But it aint gonna happen and to your point, there are thousands of Golden Eagle alums who feel about the Eagle the way we felt about the Warrior.

I love our team but our mascot is still a damn furry bird.

Golden Eagles is ALL GOOD with me.  But I still wish we had a real one that flew around the BMO BC and dive bombed Cooley.  Them's bad@ss birds.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
If that really hurts you, I'm not sure how you function as an adult.

I function just fine. Still ticks me off.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2015, 12:30:43 PM »
Eagles all around the globe are offended by the nickname. They just can't voice their displeasure, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »
I love our team but our mascot is still a damn furry bird.

You might be onto something there...just drop one "r" and we could be the Fury Birds.  Certainly unique.  Somebody could probably design a pretty bad-ass Fury Bird mascot. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »

You might be onto something there...just drop one "r" and we could be the Fury Birds.  Certainly unique.  Somebody could probably design a pretty bad-ass Fury Bird mascot.

Or...playing on the "Fury" theme, how about a nod to a classic film...coincidentally called...The Warriors.  Maybe we could be the Basketball Furies.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
Things have gotten a little personal here....

Some of us may have liked to be Warriors (myself included), but the vast majority of us like the Golden Eagle mascot. We identify with it. We are proud to be Golden Eagles. When we hear older alumni, who we look up to, trash the mascot, it hurts. Every time an alumni calls it a furry chicken or says that we are always the Warriors and will never support the Golden Eagle, it feels like an attack on our school. It also feels like we are being put into "2nd class alumni" status. Try to imagine how defensive the older alumni get about the Warriors. The younger alumni feel that way about the Golden Eagles.

TAMU, I graduated last year in 2015, I am a warrior and will always be a warrior. I have never had or purchased an article of clothing with the Golden Eagle on it. I don't know where this vast generalization of people post 94 identify with the golden eagles cause we dont.

Go to the spirit shop, 95% of the gear there only says Marquette, no mention of the Golden eagles. I won't complain saying we NEED to go back to the Warriors cause I know that will not happen, but that doesn't mean a lot of the undergrad student body doesn't identify with the Warriors in some way.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
TAMU, I graduated last year in 2015, I am a warrior and will always be a warrior. I have never had or purchased an article of clothing with the Golden Eagle on it. I don't know where this vast generalization of people post 94 identify with the golden eagles cause we dont.

Go to the spirit shop, 95% of the gear there only says Marquette, no mention of the Golden eagles. I won't complain saying we NEED to go back to the Warriors cause I know that will not happen, but that doesn't mean a lot of the undergrad student body doesn't identify with the Warriors in some way.

My personal experience says difference. I'm not just talking about students who are huge basketball fans. I'm talking about all the students who are diehards, casual, and non basketball fans. Go to a soccer game or volleyball game. You'll see Golden Eagles everywhere. Basketball is the only sport that avoids it, which is a mistake IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:59:38 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
My personal experience says difference. I'm not just talking about students who are huge basketball fans. I'm talking about all the students who are diehards, casual, and non basketball fans. Go to a soccer game or volleyball game. You'll see Golden Eagles everywhere. Basketball is the only sport that avoids it, which is a mistake IMHO.

Don't want to lecture, but there is a lot more to the Warrior aura than the nickname. Marquette Warrior Basketball in the late 60s and 70s gave a collective middle finger to all that was socially unjust in the Establishment of the times.  Let's leave that respect untouched to those players and alumni from that time as it was much more involved for them than those of us who followed know.

Included in that was dumping the paper mache mascot in 1971.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
Evil touched on a very significant point. For those of us who lived it, we know the Warriors personified the anti-establishment movement of the times, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »

I try not to reward stupidity.  If that is spiteful, oh well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2015, 06:10:38 PM »

That is not spiteful. The whole process was a sellout. Chicos is right imo.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
I played the game when it was pure back in nineteen hundred and fifty two.  An entire team of men would assemble as gentlemen friends on the court and we would strap our legs together with crude leather harnesses.  We'd sing hymns and twirl in circles for hours on end.  Our skin would shine like freshly pressed mayonnaise.  Oh how it would shine!  32 hours later, we would allow God to place an image of the sacred hoop into our minds and we would slowly shuffle up and down the court in unison.  Whosoever had the ball, which was, in those days, a hefty head of lettuce, in his hands, would politely deposit the ball into the rim and we would all have to shout, THANK YOU UNCLE SAM!  We'd then genuflect in the direction of our parents and shed one tear.  The game would go on like this until the good Lord decided who won.

I can barely follow the action of today's games.  Fierce men with last names that look like car crashes punishing the Lord our God's rim with hands so large they could pluck the sun from the sky.  I mourn for our future, where there will be no polite layups of lettuce balls slurping off of the clammy hands of mayonnaise-skinned gentlemen friends.  Only thunderdunks and caustic sweat.  What a world.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:02:44 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »

Fine. Let the soccer teams and the volleyball teams be Golden Eagles if that's what floats their boats. Who cares? And who cares what the "casual" and "non basketball" fans think about the basketball team's nickname? No more relevant than my opinion of what we should call the debate team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
I played the game when it was pure back in nineteen hundred and fifty two.  An entire team of men would assemble as gentlemen friends on the court and we would strap our legs together with crude leather harnesses.  We'd sing hymns and twirl in circles for hours on end.  Our skin would shine like freshly pressed mayonnaise.  Oh how it would shine!  32 hours later, we would allow God to place an image of the sacred hoop into our minds and we would slowly shuffle up and down the court in unison.  Whosoever had the ball, which was, in those days, a hefty head of lettuce, in his hands, would politely deposit the ball into the rim and we would all have to shout, THANK YOU UNCLE SAM!  We'd then genuflect in the direction of our parents and shed one tear.  The game would go on like this until the good Lord decided who won.

I can barely follow the action of today's games.  Fierce men with last names that look like car crashes punishing the Lord our God's rim with hands so large the could pluck the sun from the sky.  I mourn for our future, where there will be no polite layups of lettuce balls slurping off of the clammy hands of mayonnaise-skinned gentlemen friends.  Only thunderdunks and caustic sweat.  What a world.

Hate to steal a line from my friend Keefe, but THIS is an example of why I so love Scoop.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:16:03 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:44 PM »
Don't want to lecture, but there is a lot more to the Warrior aura than the nickname. Marquette Warrior Basketball in the late 60s and 70s gave a collective middle finger to all that was socially unjust in the Establishment of the times.  Let's leave that respect untouched to those players and alumni from that time as it was much more involved for them than those of us who followed know.

Included in that was dumping the paper mache mascot in 1971.

Nailed it, Doctor. Those "Warriors" we're too proud, too black, too juco, too arrogant and too "just win, baby" for the establishment (i.e., NCAA). Sadly, some of our present fans would agree.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

I can barely follow the action of today's games.  Fierce men with last names that look like car crashes punishing the Lord our God's rim with hands so large they could pluck the sun from the sky.  I mourn for our future, where there will be no polite layups of lettuce balls slurping off of the clammy hands of mayonnaise-skinned gentlemen friends.  Only thunderdunks and caustic sweat.  What a world.

There goes ZFB, hiring UW alums to ghost-write for him again.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
There goes ZFB, hiring UW alums to ghost-write for him again.

Stolen shamelessly from the comments section of a dead spin article.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
Dudes (& dames)....it's time to move on....

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
I wonder if he's still tying flies.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
Dudes (& dames)....it's time to move on....

Solid necro job on this thread. Grats.

feedback