Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Yikes, Just The Messenger...  (Read 24772 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Yikes, Just The Messenger...
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
so don't badger me for more info. May be another negative story soon to run in the Tribune. Possibly more heads will roll.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoMarquette32

• Team Captain
Re: Yikes, Just The Messenger...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
You can't just say there might be. Fricken tell us. Your nothing but a user name. We dnr know you personally.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
I know 4never.....cat has a cup of purple oil with gang bangers and car wash owners regularly.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:16:42 PM by Stone Cold »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »
No.  GoMarquette3 is right.  You must never insinuate that MU has EVER done anything wrong.  The world is BS.  Callapari and Pitino are dicks.  Everyone else drink your Kool Aide and rest.....

All is well.  Nothing to fear.  4evers is your enemy!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:39 PM »
You at least got to be able to recruit a top 30 big if you're recruiting ballers who do eiffel towers and walruses.   

Buzz, look outside, that wisconsin ice is getting thinner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »
Buzz, look outside, that wisconsin ice is getting thinner.

Stick to men in tights rolling around on mats together in fantasy land...

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Which Tribune? 

/watches the magical passing of the Festivus pole.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
Another round of Buzz's players getting in legal trouble/accused of a serious crime right now would certainly put him on thin ice.  Or cause another good MU employee to get fired.   

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:42 AM »
Another round of Buzz's players getting in legal trouble/accused of a serious crime right now would certainly put him on thin ice.  Or cause another good MU employee to get fired.   

I disagree...I don't understand how you can say this is Buzz' fault. What do you want him to do? Have 24/7 surveillance on the players, that would be just wonderful for recruiting don't you think? These athletes are legally men, and should be held responsible for their own actions. Why do you need to go and point fingers at Buzz when nobody knows the whole story? So many are posting without knowing anything beyond the known facts, the published facts. I will wait until I see the facts.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
Wait a sec...how do we know any of these past or upcoming allegations are even men's basketball?  We have only been told men's athletics.  My bet's on soccer.  Watch out Louis Bennett!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:47:22 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »
I disagree...I don't understand how you can say this is Buzz' fault. What do you want him to do?

1. Recruit players that aren't going to get in constant trouble
2. Promote an atmosphere of accountability.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »

Do we have any ... you know, what's the word ... proof ... that players recruited by MU's current coach are getting in trouble more than those of prior coaches, much less "constant" trouble?
Do we know there isn't an atmosphere of accountability?

leever

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
FIRE TRESSEL NOW!

Oh wait, wrong school.

Sorry.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
Do we have any ... you know, what's the word ... proof ... that players recruited by MU's current coach are getting in trouble more than those of prior coaches, much less "constant" trouble?

One of the difficulties today is the microscope players are under. Back in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s, there wasn't the 24/7 news cycle and the constant interest that there is today. Do something stupid and there's a good chance someone will tweet it or have it on YouTube within the hour. My guess would be that the players now are probably getting in less trouble than players in previous decades would have when put under today's microscope, but this is the situation they live in.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:03 AM »
Just for historical purpose, while I was a student we had:

Tony Davis punch a girl in an elevator (he was known as the elevator operator after that)

Artie Green inviting many girls to his love palace in Rm 633 McCormick (even right after games)

Oliver Lee doing what Oliver Lee did.  Can't recall specifics.  Just remember it was embarrassing.

MU hoops players have not become bad people in the last couple of years.  They do, and have always done, the same things that many college age males do.  It is wrong and they need to be held accountable, but this can't be laid off on Buzz.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, and I wasn't speaking about the recent incidents.  But in general terms, I don't think the "hey, what can the coach do?" excuse is a valid one.  The coach can most definately do something. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, and I wasn't speaking about the recent incidents.  But in general terms, I don't think the "hey, what can the coach do?" excuse is a valid one.  The coach can most definately do something. 

Fair enough. But when you answer the question "What do you want Buzz to do" by stating "recruit players that aren't going to get in constant trouble," it implies that he's recruited players that are in constant trouble.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
So you want Buzz to go clubbing with the boys on weekends?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
Fair enough. But when you answer the question "What do you want Buzz to do" by stating "recruit players that aren't going to get in constant trouble," it implies that he's recruited players that are in constant trouble.

That isn't what I meant to imply.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

Let's see...

We had 4 players get accused of sexual harrassment on Halloween at a party.  If anyone has been to a Halloween party lately many of the girls look like they just came from a Fredericks of Hollywood photo shoot.  Add in college age men, alcohol and harrassment while not acceptable can often happen.  It appears the men were put throught the normal student conduct board process and I am sure Buzz had more than a few things to say, punishment , etc. 

Then a number of months later another player had an incident that by all accounts could have been a sexual assault/ rape, etc.  A potential terrible lack of judgement especially in light of the Halloween incident.  That players is no longer in the program. 

Seriously what else would you like to be done?   

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »

Big difference between getting in legal trouble and being accused of a serious crime.  Let me know when we have multiple rounds of players getting in serious legal trouble...meaning arrested and found guilty.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
Seriously what else would you like to be done?    
r

OK...you quote my answer to the question, and then you ask again??? 

I agree that you are always going to have incidents.  I hardly ask for perfection.  I just think any coach needs to recruit good kids, and hold them accountable.

I have no idea if that has occured at MU under Buzz.  Not enough info.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:53:49 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »

Artie Green inviting many girls to his love palace in Rm 633 McCormick (even right after games)
What's wrong with inviting girls to your room after games?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 10:55:58 AM »
What's wrong with inviting girls to your room after games?

Grabbing the PA microphone to do it is probably a bad choice.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »

Tony Davis punch a girl in an elevator (he was known as the elevator operator after that)

Oliver Lee doing what Oliver Lee did.  Can't recall specifics.  Just remember it was embarrassing.

MU hoops players have not become bad people in the last couple of years.  They do, and have always done, the same things that many college age males do.  It is wrong and they need to be held accountable, but this can't be laid off on Buzz.

None can top Maurice Lucas hanging a guy outside a 10th floor window in McCormick by his feet after the guy nearly caused a race riot in the cafeteria. They moved the guy to Schroeder into the first floor room next to Fr Naus to protect him for the rest of the semester....he transferred to Miami the next year.

Marcus Washington showed up for so many games stoned out of his mind that it became common knowledge. Joke became that he was straight on nights when his game was off.