[Today at 04:36:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Yikes, Just The Messenger...  (Read 24849 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Yikes, Just The Messenger...
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 08:06:14 PM »
Assuming that is true, let me qualify by suggesting the "JUCO route", is a generic term that includes recruiting kids with questionable backgrounds that most other high level D1 schools elect not to pursue. 

Aka the Huggins, Floyd, Tark, etc route
There's a high quantity of really stupid s**t written on this board, but this is right up there at the top of that list.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
This thread has a lot of rehashing history.  To get back to the original statement,
"May be another negative story soon to run in the Tribune. Possibly more heads will roll."
Has anyone heard of a new incident?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
Yes, and let me say it's awful.  I heard when DJO takes a duece he wads and doesn't fold.  He obviously hates the planet.  I just don't see why we recruit these jucos.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »
JUCO's have been interwoven in the thread of MU hoops since Al's days. Your namesake, Knight Commission, won his last championship starting 2.   First round draft pick with a blindside-esque backstory....yeah....      Weak sauce.   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:14:28 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
Is it possible 4ever was joking and making fun of some posters here who have inside info but can't tell? That was kind of my read on the opening post.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
Hey Coach, when I tip this bottle over what happens? 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »
Can't think of any worse characters than Fulce, Butler, Crowder, DJO and Buycks...although I haven't heard their names connected to any crap.  Singleton was a very well-off walk-on, and Vander was recruited by everyone.  To make a generalization that JUCO's are high risk/high reward character wise, and then associate ANY player (no matter if he's a JUCO player or not) that has a questionable background as a JUCO is about crappy a statement as I've seen on this board.  I'll take 5 Butler's anyday.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 06:22:14 AM »
What's wrong with inviting girls to your room after games?
Nothing.  I tried it a couple of times.  Nobody ever showed up.  Not even boys.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:37 AM »
Grabbing the PA microphone to do it is probably a bad choice.

I tried that too, but I didn't know how to turn the mike on, so nobody could hear me.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »
Nor did the last guy take the JUCO route. Boys, this is a consequnce of the JUCO route. It has burned many of coaches.  High risk, high reward.

Candidate for the most inane post ever?

leever

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
Yes, and let me say it's awful.  I heard when DJO takes a duece he wads and doesn't fold.  He obviously hates the planet.  I just don't see why we recruit these jucos.

This is exactly the problem with Buzz's recruiting - he goes after guys who WON'T FOLD!  What is this program coming to?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
This is exactly the problem with Buzz's recruiting - he goes after guys who WON'T FOLD!  What is this program coming to?

DJO is a JUCO guy which obviously means he's a thug and, as everyone knows, thugs don't fold their TP. I knew this problem was coming as soon as Buzz was hired.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
JUCO's have been interwoven in the thread of MU hoops since Al's days. Your namesake, Knight Commission, won his last championship starting 2.   First round draft pick with a blindside-esque backstory....yeah....      Weak sauce.   

Your right, of course, but elitists or bigots obsessed with how other like minded people perceive them can't stop patting themselves on the back for their "virtue" and self righteousness long enough to see it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »
so don't badger me for more info. May be another negative story soon to run in the Tribune. Possibly more heads will roll.

Back to the tread starter.  I said a week or so ago I had heard one more shoe could drop, but nothing has come of it yet ( http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27290.msg311192#msg311192 ).  I've been gone this past week....not sure if 4ever is yanking chains or heard something similar. 

Looking at some of the other comments here...yes, stuff like this has happened in the past and will happen in the future.  However, I can't remember the last time stuff like this has been above the fold, front page story in Milwaukee, Chicago, evening news, etc.  It's been probably since Copa.  Some will dismiss this as boys being boys.  Others as Just Win Baby.  Others will be more concerned.  Considering we lost our AD, are throwing Buzz out there as the "university spokesman", etc, etc....shows me some people feel this is a big deal and don't like the university dragged through the mud and think we might be able to have a tighter leash at times.

We shall see but I suspect that's what you'll see...perhaps even some very serious tough love / zero tolerance stuff coming soon.  Some of the blue hairs aren't liking all the negative pub, and who can blame them.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
Can some of the more connected Scoopers put a call into Tom Integrity Crean and see if he would consider coming back to MU as its Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach should Buzz's head roll??  None of this crap ever happened under Tom Crean - just some illegal gambling, performance enhancing drug usage, occasional on campus fist-a-cuffs....

Actually, now that I think about it..not sure this is the answer either - considering Tom Crean and Indiana were just undressed/exposed by ESPN.  Not sure which is worse being exposed by the Chicago Tribune or ESPN?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Tommy called and said MU ain't stink without me. Would seriously consider coming home again if Riley would be assured of winning another MVP award.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
My guess is that sexual assault and violation of state law (knowingly) for 10 years by a major university is something a bit more concerning than having a recruit given something by his AAU team. 

Let's just examine the casualties

Marquette
Executive VP...gone
Athletic Director...gone
Coaches rebuked and disciplined
Players rebuked and disciplined
At least one player no longer on squad
One more shoe still potentially to drop.....

IU
No one gone.  No one resigned.  No one fired.
ESPN widely discredited in the two weeks after initial article came out, including from ANOTHER ESPN WRITER who called it nonsense
IU player in question likely to sit a few games
#1 recruiting class in the nation coming in

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Tommy called and said MU ain't stink without me. Would seriously consider coming home again if Riley would be assured of winning another MVP award.

Thanks for putting in the call 4ever....I'm sure most of us here could live with young Riley winning another MVP Award at the MU Basketball camp - if we could bring TC back, and his new found ability to recruit the Number 1 recruiting class in the country, given his alliance with the Indiana Elite. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
My guess is that sexual assault and violation of state law (knowingly) for 10 years by a major university is something a bit more concerning than having a recruit given something by his AAU team. 

Let's just examine the casualties

Marquette
Executive VP...gone
Athletic Director...gone
Coaches rebuked and disciplined
Players rebuked and disciplined
At least one player no longer on squad
One more shoe still potentially to drop.....

IU
ESPN widely discredited in the two weeks after initial article came out, including from ANOTHER ESPN WRITER who called it nonsense
IU player in question likely to sit a few games

This is a Marquette board. Feel free to visit an Indiana board and post there. We get it, you love the man. I wish you would leave like he did.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
I'm sorry MUBasketball, but the discussion was about Marquette and it was not I that brought the other school into the debate.  But as is ALWAYS the case you ignore who brought it up (not me) and only go after the response.

Why is that?  Why do you not have the intellectual integrity to answer that question?

Better yet, why don't you take a crack at answering the question that was proposed.  Is it worse to have your school have multiple student athletes accused of sexual assault (rape) multiple times, end up being put on the front page of the largest newspaper in the midwest, lose your AD, have the university change a policy because they were in violation of state law for 10 years and had to put their tail between their legs in admitting as such, etc, etc.....or have a recruit that has yet to spend 1 second on campus as a student athlete get a free plane ticket to his native country. 

Come to think of it, since you're a UW-hyphen Milwaukee grad, why don't you go over to their board?  LOL.  Two can play this game if you wish.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
Can someone point me to the article that discusses our student athletes being charged and found guilty of a crime?  I guess I missed it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »
Can someone point me to the article that discusses our student athletes being charged and found guilty of a crime?  I guess I missed it.

I don't think you missed it....yet the university felt it was necessary to change it's policies, publicly apologize THREE times now, have it's AD resign, rebuke it's head coaches, discipline coaches and players, one player just so happened to leave, etc.

But you are correct, no one was charged and found guilty of a crime...at least not in a criminal case.  It will be interesting to see what civil matters proceed with some of these women, if any are pursued.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »
But you are correct, no one was charged and found guilty of a crime...at least not in a criminal case.  It will be interesting to see what civil matters proceed with some of these women, if any are pursued.

I suppose it will be, but seeing as DPS, MPD, and the DA with access to medical records (as I assume a cooperative plaintiff would allow their release) haven't come up with ANY evidence. And will she say she was just too traumatized to go to police sooner (like the times DPS made that avenue available) or was there another reason to wait half a year before coming forward?

And until the time comes, why automatically assume the alleged victims are truthful? Maybe I'm cynical, but I had a friend do 2 years in prison for "statutory rape". He had been dating the same girl for years and turned 18 before she did. He broke up with her and she went berserk. Instead of rationally accepting the break-up, she got her dad to press charges. I also once had a similar scare. I broke up with a girl and a while later slept with her friend at a party. Rather than admitting to my ex (and her friend) that she had betrayed her trust, she said she didn't remember and I must have raped her. Thankfully it never went further than that. So I apologize if I'm insensitive, but when three seperate authorities find no evidence even with the alleged victim's aid, and when the victim sits on it for 5 months, and there seems to be a hopeful relationship that never came to fruition, I'm a skeptic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »

IU

Drew Adams "resigned" and went to New Mexico - dig deeper here, guy.

Indiana does not have the #1 recruiting class in the nation coming in for 2011.  They have one slim center who is very good, a traditional shooter, and another kid coming in.  They are nowhere near #1. 

Of course, you're probably talking about a future year - specifically 2012.  You have vehemently expressed your opinion that no one - absolutely no one - is committed to a school for 2012... I guess this opinion changes based on what program you're talking about. 

I4's 2012 class has been referred to as the best at a given point in time, but this is largely due to the fact that Crean has gotten verbal commits out of his AAU company very young kids, years before (as you would say) they are even able to commit to a program.

They will not have the CONSENSUS #1 class coming in for 2012 when it is talked about ~15 months from now.  Not having Hanner be eligible to play for I4 would be a bummer for you guys.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
I suppose it will be, but seeing as DPS, MPD, and the DA with access to medical records (as I assume a cooperative plaintiff would allow their release) haven't come up with ANY evidence. And will she say she was just too traumatized to go to police sooner (like the times DPS made that avenue available) or was there another reason to wait half a year before coming forward?

And until the time comes, why automatically assume the alleged victims are truthful? Maybe I'm cynical, but I had a friend do 2 years in prison for "statutory rape". He had been dating the same girl for years and turned 18 before she did. He broke up with her and she went berserk. Instead of rationally accepting the break-up, she got her dad to press charges. I also once had a similar scare. I broke up with a girl and a while later slept with her friend at a party. Rather than admitting to my ex (and her friend) that she had betrayed her trust, she said she didn't remember and I must have raped her. Thankfully it never went further than that. So I apologize if I'm insensitive, but when three seperate authorities find no evidence even with the alleged victim's aid, and when the victim sits on it for 5 months, and there seems to be a hopeful relationship that never came to fruition, I'm a skeptic.

+1000.  There is a song by the band Buck Cherry called:  Crazy B$tch.  The very cliche crazy b$tch exists for a reason.  I've personally dealt with a couple of whack jobs, who though very hot, were very crazy and caused me plenty of drama....particularly after breaking up with them.  Another cliche comes to mind:  Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned.  And my 2 cents - this is exactly what happened here...