'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Yikes, Just The Messenger...  (Read 24770 times)

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: Yikes, Just The Messenger...
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
so don't badger me for more info. May be another negative story soon to run in the Tribune. Possibly more heads will roll.

Hearsay and conjecture, those are KINDS of evidence.  Scotch, anyone?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
Players need to be viewed through the similar prism that all college kids are viewed.

X player was drunk at a bar? Not a big deal (provided he's of age).

X player got in a minor physical altercation? Bigger deal, but it happens. Not a huge issue if it's a one time thing.

Sexual assaults (allegedly), drunk driving*, serious physical altercations*, threats of violence*, murder*, Repeated drunkenness in public*,  drug use* etc. etc.

Those are bigger deals and don't reflect positively on the University or MU hoops culture.  

*I'm not saying these have happened recently, just using examples of large issues that wouldn't be acceptable even for a nameless college student.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »
What's wrong with inviting girls to your room after games?

keeping his roomate (Michael Wilson) from getting into the room. ?? 

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
so don't badger me for more info. May be another negative story soon to run in the Tribune. Possibly more heads will roll.

this became a topic??  unless i'm missing something, to throw this out there and then leave??   looks like a lit bag of sh!t on the porch prank to me.  4never must be one of the good ole boys

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
Then a number of months later another player had an incident that by all accounts could have been a sexual assault/ rape, etc.  A potential terrible lack of judgement especially in light of the Halloween incident.  That players is no longer in the program. 

Am I the only one who didn't know who the player was? And that the incident is the reason he left? Guess I'm out of the loop...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
Well, they didn't exactly issue a press release saying this is the reason he left but....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
I think it is funny that this board has criticised Huggins in the past for the type of players he recruits. Especially, when he suspended a couple of players this year for violation of team rules. On the surface, without knowing all of the facts, I am not to terribly upset about the October incident. However, in hindsite, perhaps Buzz should of suspended the players for a game or two to set a proper tone and not end up appearing to be covering things up. The Blue thing was also another thing that is not a big deal to me. However, Buzz probably should of suspended him for a game for breaking team rules. The third incident is a bigger deal and I am glad, if true, that that player is gone. That player should have been immediately suspended from the team stating that that he violated team rules. I am assuming that Buzz did discipline players privately, but as we can all see now this has led to MU being trashed all over the place, because it looked like they protected the players instead of disciplining them. Also, the February victim might not have gone off the deep end, if she had seen some discipline handed out.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
Damon Key threw a word processor (remember this was 1995) up a flight of stairs at his girlfriend! 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
I'll bet he missed hitting her.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »
Damon Key threw a word processor (remember this was 1995) up a flight of stairs at his girlfriend! 

Word processors were the tits.

RealChiliWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »

None can top Maurice Lucas hanging a guy outside a 10th floor window in McCormick by his feet after the guy nearly caused a race riot in the cafeteria. They moved the guy to Schroeder into the first floor room next to Fr Naus to protect him for the rest of the semester....he transferred to Miami the next year.

Rooney?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »
Well, they didn't exactly issue a press release saying this is the reason he left but....

If I recall correctly, the same player was missing from the bench for a week or two in the month of February.  The pieces are starting to come together.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
We need a wiki page with a list of all athlete misbehavior, to save for the ages.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
1. Recruit players that aren't going to get in constant trouble

So you want the coach to be able to predict the future?

Tell me which player on the current team was known to be in constant trouble before signing with MU?

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
I disagree...I don't understand how you can say this is Buzz' fault. What do you want him to do? Have 24/7 surveillance on the players, that would be just wonderful for recruiting don't you think? These athletes are legally men, and should be held responsible for their own actions. Why do you need to go and point fingers at Buzz when nobody knows the whole story? So many are posting without knowing anything beyond the known facts, the published facts. I will wait until I see the facts.

That's what those Hugg lovers used to say in Bearcat land. I hope we aren't there. God help us

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
So you want the coach to be able to predict the future?

Tell me which player on the current team was known to be in constant trouble before signing with MU?

The overall point is there has been crap going on at Marquette for a long time through many coaches. They did a mostly good job at keeping it either in house or in community. We seem to have lost that ability.

And don't anyone fall on the "its a different time with the internet" ruse because the last guy had to deal with message boards and the like and covered crap up like a Venus Fly Trap.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
I guess I'm confused as to what has happened to put Buzz on "thin ice."

1.  a party where accusations are made, but no arrests
2.  a player punches another student and is ticketed
3.  a player is accused of an ugly act, not arrested, and he's no longer on the team

Without knowing anything specific about those situations, I guess I don't see anything wrong with what Buzz has done.  It's just as easy to blame Buzz for kicking the kid off the team without an arrest being made as it is to blame Buzz for that accusation.  I don't see the link to Huggins, and I don't see MU's graduation rate at the same level.  Vander punches a kid and some of the same people who have no issue with someone like Bobby Knight smacking a kid blame Buzz for Vander's slip up.  The whole thing seems blown up to me, and the only negative press I've repeatedly heard is directed at MU as a whole for it's policies that essentially are illegal. 

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
The overall point is there has been crap going on at Marquette for a long time through many coaches. They did a mostly good job at keeping it either in house or in community. We seem to have lost that ability.

And don't anyone fall on the "its a different time with the internet" ruse because the last guy had to deal with message boards and the like and covered crap up like a Venus Fly Trap.

Nor did the last guy take the JUCO route. Boys, this is a consequnce of the JUCO route. It has burned many of coaches.  High risk, high reward.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
Nor did the last guy take the JUCO route. Boys, this is a consequnce of the JUCO route. It has burned many of coaches.  High risk, high reward.

Bullcrap.  This has absolutely nothing to do with the JUCO route.  The player who "is no longer with the program" was not a JUCO transfer.  The JUCO players we have had here have been just fine...one was even drafted.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »

Bullcrap.  This has absolutely nothing to do with the JUCO route.  The player who "is no longer with the program" was not a JUCO transfer.  The JUCO players we have had here have been just fine...one was even drafted.

Assuming that is true, let me qualify by suggesting the "JUCO route", is a generic term that includes recruiting kids with questionable backgrounds that most other high level D1 schools elect not to pursue. 

Aka the Huggins, Floyd, Tark, etc route
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:52:40 PM by Knight Commission »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
Assuming that is true, let me qualify by suggesting the "JUCO route", is a generic term that aincludes recruiting kids with questionable backgrounds that other schools may not choose to pursue.

No it doesn't.  It doesn't mean that at all.  It means players that go to JUCOs before transferring.  Furthermore, who has Buzz recruited that "other schools may not choose to pursue" who have "questionable backgrounds?"

You are talking out your ass.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
Todd Mayo.

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
Assuming that is true, let me qualify by suggesting the "JUCO route", is a generic term that includes recruiting kids with questionable backgrounds that most other high level D1 schools elect to not pursue.

I'm trying to find an analogous statement to properly articulate how asinine your comment was, but I am coming up empty.  Can someone help me?  

Does this work?  "Let me qualify by saying that the Axis Powers in WWII should refer to any country ruled by a tyrannical leader, so we should include the USSR with the Axis Powers."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
What's wrong with Todd Mayo?  Has he been in trouble with the law?  Outside of transferring high schools, he seems pretty clean to me.

But let me get this straight....you consider him a "JUCO player" because he supposedly has a "questionable background?"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
Assuming that is true, let me qualify by suggesting the "JUCO route", is a generic term that includes recruiting kids with questionable backgrounds that most other high level D1 schools elect not to pursue. 

Sure seems like you have some problems.

feedback