[Today at 08:27:15 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Frosh splits time between class and jail?  (Read 18995 times)

MUinCO

• Starter
MU Frosh splits time between class and jail?
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/124031914.html

"Madeline Kudlata will split her time between Marquette University and a jail cell as punishment for killing her best friend and classmate in a rollover crash last September." 

Not sure how I feel about this one...she's found guilty and is sentenced to jail time as the crash involved a DUI and attempt to hide the evidence.  I would have expected MU to rescind its admission offer to Ms. Kudlata.  Has MU come out with a position on this one?  Is there more to the story?

JWags85

• All American
Re: MU Frosh splits time between class and jail?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »

"Madeline Kudlata will split her time between Marquette University and a jail cell as punishment for killing her best friend and classmate in a rollover crash last September." 

Not sure how I feel about this one...she's found guilty and is sentenced to jail time as the crash involved a DUI and attempt to hide the evidence.  I would have expected MU to rescind its admission offer to Ms. Kudlata.  Has MU come out with a position on this one?  Is there more to the story?

She actually is from my hometown and went to HS with my younger sisters.  Its an incredibly sad story.  As I understand it, they were coming home in the morning from a party, she was speeding, swerved, the car flipped and Sydney was ejected from the car.  However, it wasn't a DUI, as the article says neither girl had alcohol in their system.  As for the hiding evidence, I believe there was an open bottle of liquor that she attempted to dispose of, and obviously wasn't successful.

The part of the story thats sad is how she is being portrayed.  Both girls were partiers.  Not that they were out of control, problem childs, but they were very social and had been caught drinking before (by parents, not police).  But since the incident, Madeline has been painted by the deceased parents to be a reckless monster who their daughter got caught up with.  Its an incredible sad situation, and she deserves punishment to be sure, but the quest for vengeance by Sydney's parent's at Madeline's expense is rubbing alot of people the wrong way, or so I hear from my family.

As far as rescinding her admission, I would be disappointed if Marquette did that.  Its horribly tragic and unfortunate that someone passed away, but if this was just someone speeding and getting in an accident and a reckless driving citation, it would be a moot point.  It isn't a DUI and the only reason the case got pushed forward was at the request of the family to proceed further.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
A young lady is paying her debt to society by spending time in jail.  I see no reason to keep her from going to college as well.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
The saddest part to me is that the decedent wasn't wearing her seat belt.  The way vehicles are designed now, if you stay in the car, you will usually survive.  Most of the deaths are because of getting thrown out of the car because of no seat belt. 
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »

I guess you haven't heard of the Christian value of forgiveness?  People deserve second chances.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Yes, no alcohol but traces of marijuana...evidence of illegal drug use, but apparently not enough to trigger a DUI?  Also, I kind of have trouble getting past the tossing of evidence bit and apparently her decision to continue partying after the accident.  There were a lot of lapses in judgment with this girl, a heck of a lot more than just simple speeding, all leading up to a conviction and jail time.

I see your point, a successful kid with no record, making an incredibly bad decision, and offered a golden 2nd chance with MU still allowing her to register.  Also, I totally agree “people deserve second chances,” but I would have totally understood if MU said...with bad decisions come repercussions we are personally responsible for… so finish your jail time, community service, and re-apply…then decide if she is worthy of a second chance.  I guess I’m still kind of on the fence with this decision; though, point is moot, apparently she is registering…hope she makes the most of this second chance.

Sad story indeed, thanks for the background on her story.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
If an incoming recruit would have done the same would they be at MU next year?  I sometimes think it's interesting to see who does/does not get second chances.  I don't have enough information to judge, but if she continues to party after the accident I have to question if she just waisted her second chance.  I don't see an excuse for her to drink until 21 or ever smoke again.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »
If an incoming recruit would have done the same would they be at MU next year?  I sometimes think it's interesting to see who does/does not get second chances.  I don't have enough information to judge, but if she continues to party after the accident I have to question if she just waisted her second chance.  I don't see an excuse for her to drink until 21 or ever smoke again.

That's kind of what I was thinking, many on this board and elsewhere criticize other universities for admitting athletes with criminal records (myself included) and this one involved loss of life.  Here's someone engaging in behavior that would have been grounds for immediate job termination for most of us here (forget 2nd chances), yet she gets an admit.   I'm still really curious how MU approached this one... maybe they sat down with her and determined her resolve to make amends?  Her staying in MU a condition of her plea deal?

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:09:17 PM »
Yes, no alcohol but traces of marijuana...evidence of illegal drug use, but apparently not enough to trigger a DUI? 

Marijuana stays in the system for weeks after use, so just because it was in the girl's system at the time of the accident does not mean she was intoxicated at the time of the accident. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »
The real takeaway message should be WEAR A FLIPPING SEATBELT.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »
I would say its something more like children lead you back to prayer.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »
I'm curious about the technical aspect of this sentence.  Is she going to be a commuter student, commuting between an Ozaukee County jail cell and MU, or is she going to be living in the halls and returning to incarceration during breaks?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
I'm curious about the technical aspect of this sentence.  Is she going to be a commuter student, commuting between an Ozaukee County jail cell and MU, or is she going to be living in the halls and returning to incarceration during breaks?

She's from mequon but the accident occurred in mke county, so she'll beheld at a mke county lockup

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
She's from mequon but the accident occurred in mke county, so she'll beheld at a mke county lockup

From the article:

Though the incident occurred in Milwaukee, Martens allowed Kudlata to serve her jail time in Ozaukee County.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
From the article:

Hah...this is what not reading the article and saying things based on my own knowledge of the incident gets me

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
Looks like MU believes in giving second chances and the power of redemption, even if you are not a D1 basketball prospect.   This isn't about Buzz dragging down the reputation of MU, this is what about the nature of forgiveness and the core of our faith.  (if we have one)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »

The other interesting aspect of her probation is that she remain "sober." If probation is 5 years that means sobriety for her entire time at MU. Maybe there's a more technical legal definition, but I take that to mean a simple tweet/FB post of beer touching this one's lips could make the case she's not and put her back in the slammer. She'll have to display a whole new level of discipline she's apparently never exercised in her life.

She makes it, (in addition to jail, restitution, and community service) maybe she earned chance #2. Now getting a job after graduation with a record...not sure how that's going to work out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
From my perspective, the young lady deserves a chance.  I hope the motto "Come as you are, leave transformed" applies here.  Condolences to all involved in this tragic situation.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
The other interesting aspect of her probation is that she remain "sober." If probation is 5 years that means sobriety for her entire time at MU. Maybe there's a more technical legal definition, but I take that to mean a simple tweet/FB post of beer touching this one's lips could make the case she's not and put her back in the slammer. She'll have to display a whole new level of discipline she's apparently never exercised in her life.

Don't know about that.  Only would be true if they wanted to enforce that provision.  If she checks into jail after drinking, then there will be problems.. but, millions of people have violated this very common probation provision and not been 'put back in the slammer'.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »
4never spends time at Ethan Allen school for boys, but just for the hell of it...

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking, many on this board and elsewhere criticize other universities for admitting athletes with criminal records (myself included) and this one involved loss of life.  Here's someone engaging in behavior that would have been grounds for immediate job termination for most of us here (forget 2nd chances), yet she gets an admit.   I'm still really curious how MU approached this one... maybe they sat down with her and determined her resolve to make amends?  Her staying in MU a condition of her plea deal?

The HUGE difference is that she is not getting her education paid for like scholarship athletes. So, yes, they should be held to a high standard. Also, I'm cool with a recruit being given a second chance as long as the offense happened before he got the scholarship. Once he is on the scholarship, he needs to up hold it.

Maybe I have a different opinion from you guys, but I feel a scholarship is a privilege while just being a student should be allowed to everyone no matter what. An educated person is better than a non-educated person.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
Maybe I have a different opinion from you guys, but I feel a scholarship is a privilege while just being a student should be allowed to everyone no matter what.

I'm not speaking about this matter in particular, but we do have a different opinion - 'just being a student' should not be allowed to everyone no matter what.  It's a school by school decision that should be made.  Do you think universities should have a 100% acceptance rate?  Schools need to use information to determine who to accept and who not to... not only do I think considering a felony conviction is reasonable for a university to do, but I think considering grades and such 'silly things' as high school extra-curricular activity is reasonable to consider as well.

Quote from: MUinCO
Here's someone engaging in behavior that would have been grounds for immediate job termination for most of us here (forget 2nd chances), yet she gets an admit.

You'd be terminated for negligent operation of a vehicle that resulted in your best friend dying? 

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 08:42:31 PM »
The real takeaway message should be WEAR A FLIPPING SEATBELT.

+10000000

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 09:16:47 PM »

You'd be terminated for negligent operation of a vehicle that resulted in your best friend dying? 

Hmmm, let me think about that... After rolling my vehicle driving too fast for conditions, police find open containers of alcohol in the car (evidence they just I caught me trying to dispose of), and while I'm not DUI, they find marijuana in my system. End up pleading no contest to negligent homicide and get sentenced to a year in jail.

I don't know where you work, but I'm pretty sure if all this applied me...I'm fired...and likely never allowed back into my career field ever again.

See, if this was only about negligent operation of a vehicle, I'd say no problem, but the disposing of evidence and continuing to party after really makes me question her integrity. That being said, I'd probably would give her a second chance...I would just do it after she's successfully paid her debt to society first.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
I see no harm whatsoever in MU letting her take classes.  Doesn't tarnish MU's image or anything.  Not a big deal.

And the analogy of a workplace is a false one.  When you are working, you are collecting a salary...you are paid representative of your employer.  When you are a student, you are a customer...purchasing a service.  Allowing those in jail to purchase your service is essentially harmless to MU, and can actually be helpful to both the criminal and society at large.

Waiting until she serves her sentence just delays to when she can contribute back to society.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:32:41 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

feedback