[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Frosh splits time between class and jail?  (Read 18996 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: MU Frosh splits time between class and jail?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
See, if this was only about negligent operation of a vehicle, I'd say no problem, but the disposing of evidence and continuing to party after really makes me question her integrity. That being said, I'd probably would give her a second chance...I would just do it after she's successfully paid her debt to society first.

So your answer to my question is actually 'no'.  Got it. 

However, your issue is that she allegedly (and was never convicted of..) was emptying bottles of booze (even though she hadn't drank a drop) and she subsequently partied after the death of her friend...

If you want universities to kick out kids for doing things that makes you 'question their integrity', good luck. 

By the way, reread your posts.. you said, "here's someone engaging in behavior that would have been grounds for immediate job termination for most of us here "... so your new commentary on subsequent partying isn't relevant to your initial claim...

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »

By the way, reread your posts.. you said, "here's someone engaging in behavior that would have been grounds for immediate job termination for most of us here "... so your new commentary on subsequent partying isn't relevant to your initial claim...

Not trying to make a new argument, just saying the combination of all the facts before (her reputation as a party girl), during (what she did that night), and after (party more)...all paint a picture of a kid I may not want representing my university. While we're "customers" we are a community and the actions of a few sure can reflect badly on the rest of us.

I can agree with folks here not having a problem admitting her immediately and there might be more to her story I'm missing too. MU admissions is in a better position to judge than me so now I'm just going to trust their judgement and wish this girl the best.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:36 AM »
So your answer to my question is actually 'no'.  Got it. 

However, your issue is that she allegedly (and was never convicted of..) was emptying bottles of booze (even though she hadn't drank a drop) and she subsequently partied after the death of her friend...

If you want universities to kick out kids for doing things that makes you 'question their integrity', good luck. 

Continuing to play Devil's Advocate here, while I'm not condoning the emptying of booze bottles, you keep bringing up disposing as evidence like she was wiping down a handgun or throwing evidence in a river.  I'm pretty sure 90% of kids would have done the exact same thing.  If you were, at age 17, driving and smoking a cigarette and were pulled over and tossed the cigarette/pack out the window, you're guilty of the same thing, just saying.

As far as the partying claim, that was something from her parents.  I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe there were posted pictures of her drinking or whatnot on Facebook.  It could have easily shown her out with friends.  If thats "partying", so be it, I don't expect the girl to be a hermit.

Tell me this, if she was just going 85 in a 65 and this accident and outcome occurred, what would your feelings on the situation be?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
Not trying to make a new argument, just saying the combination of all the facts before (her reputation as a party girl), during (what she did that night), and after (party more)...all paint a picture of a kid I may not want representing my university. While we're "customers" we are a community and the actions of a few sure can reflect badly on the rest of us.

Unfortunately, what you have stated as representative of your university above could also be representative of 99% of universities across the nation.

Kids party, period... always have, always will.  Kids today are different on one thing, however... they're very, very good about skirting responsibility and covering their six (even when some of the dumb ones do videotape themselves).  So if that's not the type of student you want at MU, good luck competing with BYU for the several hundred kids in the entire country that actually fit the mold.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »
Tell me this, if she was just going 85 in a 65 and this accident and outcome occurred, what would your feelings on the situation be?

Can't say I disagree with all that you are saying there.  True, it was not like she wiped down a handgun, but it all was serious enough for the DA to consider putting her away for 25 years...before further review got them to her current sentence (prison, service, etc.).

I guess seeing a newspaper headline that my alma was admitting someone with a conviction/jail time (not because she is a partier, yes we all know college kids party) made me a little uncomfortable to tell you the truth (is this saying something about the quality of kids we admit).  The more I think about it though…and listen to you all…maybe it is simply not MU’s place to punish.  The state is taking care of the punishment part and she will have to live with that, and with the weight of her friend’s passing.

There was more to her story (and I thank you all for the background), but I was really curious about was how MU approached her/this situation.  The press surrounding this had to have gotten someone’s attention.  Did they have a sit down with her or just go hands off, did someone call in a favor?  I bet someone here has the scoop on that bit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:39:18 AM by MUinCO »

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »
Unfortunately, what you have stated as representative of your university above could also be representative of 99% of universities across the nation.

Kids party, period... always have, always will.  Kids today are different on one thing, however... they're very, very good about skirting responsibility and covering their six (even when some of the dumb ones do videotape themselves).  So if that's not the type of student you want at MU, good luck competing with BYU for the several hundred kids in the entire country that actually fit the mold.

No, you are taking my comment out of context.  Yes, we know college kids party, but I'm willing to bet 99% don't have the county lockup as their freshman dorm either.   ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Can't say I disagree with all that you are saying there.  True, it was not like she wiped down a handgun, but it all was serious enough for the DA to consider putting her away for 25 years...before further review got them to her current sentence (prison, service, etc.).

I guess seeing a newspaper headline that my alma was admitting someone with a conviction/jail time (not because she is a partier, yes we all know college kids party) made me a little uncomfortable to tell you the truth (is this saying something about the quality of kids we admit).  The more I think about it though…and listen to you all…maybe it is simply not MU’s place to punish.  The state is taking care of the punishment part and she will have to live with that, and with the weight of her friend’s passing.

There was more to her story (and I thank you all for the background), but I was really curious about was how MU approached her/this situation.  The press surrounding this had to have gotten someone’s attention.  Did they have a sit down with her or just go hands off, did someone call in a favor?  I bet someone here has the scoop on that bit.

DA's typically go for the harshest penalty allowable by law.  Judges decide sentences for a reason.  ;)

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
DA's typically go for the harshest penalty allowable by law.  Judges decide sentences for a reason.  ;)

Truer words have never been spoken.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
Apparently Cura Personalis means "It's cool, you can still come even if you kill your friends"

I give her 2 weeks before shes caught breaking probation at some house party on Renee Row.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:10 PM »
Apparently Cura Personalis means "It's cool, you can still come even if you kill your friends"

I give her 2 weeks before shes caught breaking probation at some house party on Renee Row.

Sometimes, life doesn't work out as if it seems it should; however, just give it time... the cards will fall into place eventually.
 -or-
[Thread hijack via pun alert]
The Cards will fall into last place eventually.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
If an incoming recruit would have done the same would they be at MU next year?  I sometimes think it's interesting to see who does/does not get second chances.  I don't have enough information to judge, but if she continues to party after the accident I have to question if she just waisted her second chance.  I don't see an excuse for her to drink until 21 or ever smoke again.

Damien Saunders
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
Jesus Christ -- give the girl a break.

Former First Lady Laura Bush killed a guy in high school in a car accident. No matter what your politics, you'd be hard pressed to say she didn't turn out OK. Accidents happen. Kids are stupid.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:50 AM »
A young lady is paying her debt to society by spending time in jail.  I see no reason to keep her from going to college as well.

no one is denying her a college education.  you can get that if you were a full timer.  the question is if mu should have continued to extend it's acceptance to her after her conviction.  i'e. the huber method

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »

Former First Lady Laura Bush killed a guy in high school in a car accident. No matter what your politics, you'd be hard pressed to say she didn't turn out OK. Accidents happen. Kids are stupid.

JESUS CHRIST that accident was in unnatural carnal knowledgeing 1963. a lot of factors of the day played into that crash (car safety, street laps).  Laura didn't have pot in her system or alcohol in the car... this girl from mequon did.

Get off your unnatural carnal knowledgeing soap box and stop trying to make connections that arent there. thats what the daily kos is for

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
  Laura didn't have pot in her system or alcohol in the car... this girl from mequon did.

Neither of which had any effect, from a legal perspective, on the accident...unless you think Marquette shouldn't admit anyone who had an underage drinking ticket in HS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
JESUS CHRIST that accident was in fracking 1963. a lot of factors of the day played into that crash (car safety, street laps).  Laura didn't have pot in her system or alcohol in the car... this girl from mequon did.

Get off your fracking soap box and stop trying to make connections that arent there. thats what the daily kos is for

I'm not sure why 1963 is relevant.  A lot of factor play into every crash (like the more recent girl DECIDING not to wear a seatbelt). 

Laura was drunk, this girl wasn't.  Just because you test positive for pot in your system doesn't mean you had it that day... soooooo uhhhhh....

You're right, this is totally just PRN trying to make connections that aren't there.  I mean, if you keep your hands over your ears, and your eyes shut tight and sing, "lalalala".  Then maybe.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »

is laura bush coming to marquette too??  well then...