collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801629 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2000 on: September 07, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
Pulisic. Yup.

Wood and altidore aren't going to work together.

Klejstan is incredibly successful when he has teammates who move around him. Great vision and passing.

Still hate Fabian at LB.

Wood was directly responsible for all the space Pulisic and Klejstan had last night. Jozy has been more direct in his goal attempts in the last two matches playing alongside Wood than at any other point in his career. Wood's tenacity is the reason he's not going to be moved from that starting spot because he, quite literally, is at the forefront of what JK wants to see from his outfield 10.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2001 on: September 07, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
Wood was directly responsible for all the space Pulisic and Klejstan had last night. Jozy has been more direct in his goal attempts in the last two matches playing alongside Wood than at any other point in his career. Wood's tenacity is the reason he's not going to be moved from that starting spot because he, quite literally, is at the forefront of what JK wants to see from his outfield 10.

I understand that. The problem is, they occupy the same space and, more than once, were making the same runs. Maybe over time they can co-exist. I just don't see it happening.

I like Wood and his instincts/ability. I'm really impressed at Jozy's goal-scoring lately.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2002 on: September 07, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
Both Wood and Altidore are playing well, but I think Jordan Morris would complement either of them better than they complement each other.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2003 on: September 15, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
Sorry to keep pimping my own stuff (I'm really not)

EPL
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/epl/

Championship
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/championship/

MLS
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/mls-aggregate-ranking/

By the way, I added some new sections to the site.

CONCACAF (aka USMNT world cup qualifying)
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/concacaf/

Big East Men's
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/archive-information/big-east-mens-soccer/

Big East Women's
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/archive-information/big-east-womens-soccer/

Now I included THE CHAMPIONSSSSSSS
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/champions-league/

Pretty much everything is current except for the BE Men's Soccer stats. If you like soccer, chances are there are some high-level stats about your team (and their opponents). That is, unless you enjoy Bundesliga or (shudder) like Italian soccer. For those leagues, none of my friends care about those teams and no one asked me to do them. /shrugs
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2004 on: September 16, 2016, 10:02:19 AM »
Got to meet Paul Merson and Willy Sagnol yesterday.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: September 16, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
Got to meet Paul Merson and Willy Sagnol yesterday.

Was Merson able to stand on his own?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2006 on: September 16, 2016, 08:01:10 PM »
Was Merson able to stand on his own?

Haha someone had to say it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2007 on: September 18, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
Few things, Crystal Palace is a nice little place to watch a match. Peter Crouch is still playing somehow. Geoff Cameron was absolutely terrible for Stoke today, probably 3 of the 4 palace goals were his fault.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2008 on: September 19, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
Sorry to keep pimping my own stuff (I'm really not)

EPL
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/epl/

Championship
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/championship/

MLS
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/mls-aggregate-ranking/

Now I included THE CHAMPIONSSSSSSS
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/champions-league/

Pretty much everything is current except for the BE Men's Soccer stats. If you like soccer, chances are there are some high-level stats about your team (and their opponents). That is, unless you enjoy Bundesliga or (shudder) like Italian soccer. For those leagues, none of my friends care about those teams and no one asked me to do them. /shrugs

All you'd have to do is do the statistics on Bayern Munich and you'd have the Bundesliga covered.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2009 on: September 26, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »
Big Sam and the FA are in some serious trouble right now. Too bad, was going to Wembely to have a chance to interview him as well in November.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2010 on: November 15, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »
Soooooo, uhhhhh... Jurgen?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2011 on: November 15, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
USA is 0-2-0 in qualifying, with a 6-1 differential against. Lost to Mexico in Columbus for the first time ever before getting shelled by Costa Rica 4-0 away. Might be time for a new manager.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2012 on: November 16, 2016, 07:38:37 AM »
USA is 0-2-0 in qualifying, with a 6-1 differential against. Lost to Mexico in Columbus for the first time ever before getting shelled by Costa Rica 4-0 away. Might be time for a new manager.

Might? MIGHT?? Perfect time to switch, no qualifiers until March and next camp isn't until January. If last night's performance wasn't a team quiting on their manager I don't know what is.

I like Jurgen as a PR guy and love him as a player, but he is clearly out matched as a manager, even within CONCACAFE
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: November 16, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
Bruce Arena would be perfect given his success and the fact that he is out of contract with the Galaxy.  He isn't necessarily a long-term solution but IMO would get this group qualified for the World Cup and have them competitive.

During that time, USA Soccer is going to have to figure out its strategic direction and go from there.  The whole organization seems like a mess right now.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2014 on: November 16, 2016, 08:00:27 AM »
I just can't believe the lack of Julian Green and Kljestan on the field these last two qualifiers as well as the choice of Timmy Chandler over Yedlin.  I thought the last chance Chandler got was going to be his last and he was absolutely dreadful last night.  I thought for sure after half he would be taken off and Yedlin come on.  Can't believe he went the full 90.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2015 on: November 16, 2016, 08:32:49 AM »
I said the same regarding timing on Twitter. I think this move should have been made before Camp Cupcake a year ago, but now it's even more dire.

It's just nonsensical. Changing formations before your play your biggest rival? Not adjusting to a deficit in a place you've never played with clearly exhausted players?

Arena would be my pick. Two year deal to get us qualified and through Russia, then hire a replacement with a fresh look at a new cycle.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2016 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
I don't know who watched last night on BeIn Sport, but the commentator was pretty much brutally honest about many of the points you brought up brew.  For instance, asking why they played two friendlies against soft competition and wondering why the formation change wasn't developed more in those friendlies.  It was better than the borderline jingoistic coverage from FS1 the other night.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
THEY DID IT!!! KLINSMANN IS GONE!!!
« Reply #2017 on: November 21, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
Holy crap, USA Soccer actually pulled the plug. Jurgen Klinsmann has been relieved of his duties as national team manager and technical director according to a Tweet from US Soccer. Rumor has it Arena will take over. I'm overjoyed right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2018 on: November 21, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »
And yet... Sunil keeps his job.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2019 on: December 05, 2016, 11:51:20 AM »
At the FA Cup draw tonight. Steven Gerard in house tonight.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2020 on: January 10, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
I think FIFA may have just killed the World Cup. Not a sky is falling kind of guy but I think between this and the corruption and having to move 2022 WC to the summer....it might die a slow death.

Thoughts?
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/10/fifa-world-cup-expansion-approved

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: January 10, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
The 2022 WC is moved to winter.

But here is my quick take on the expanded field. 

1. I don't mind the idea in concept.

2. But the three team pools are dumb.  Team A defeats Team B.  Team B draws with Team C.  Team A and Team C could then conspire for a draw.  Team A wins the group and Team C advances.  Plus you have to deal with extra days off, etc.  And a 32 team playoff round?

3.  I can't think of a better alternative however which means the idea I don't mind "in concept" is likely not attainable in reality. 

4.  The USA is going to get the 2026 bid IMO.  It is one of the few countries that can pull this thing off.  It will be harder for all but the biggest of nations to host this on their own.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2022 on: January 10, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »

2. But the three team pools are dumb.  Team A defeats Team B.  Team B draws with Team C.  Team A and Team C could then conspire for a draw.  Team A wins the group and Team C advances.  Plus you have to deal with extra days off, etc.  And a 32 team playoff round?

3.  I can't think of a better alternative however which means the idea I don't mind "in concept" is likely not attrightble in reality. 

4.  The USA is going to get the 2026 bid IMO.  It is one of the few countries that can pull this thing off.  It will be harder for all but the biggest of nations to host this on their own.

Thanks for the correct, meant to write winter and then involuntarily wished it was summer IRL instead of referring to some event that won't happen thanks to SMOD.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: January 10, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »

3.  I can't think of a better alternative however which means the idea I don't mind "in concept" is likely not attrightble in reality. 

Yup, pretty much eliminates any country not named, US, UK, France or Germany, and I doubt France will be getting a major bid of some sort anytime soon.

I think you may see more combined efforts like South Korea and Japan in 2002. Something like Chile, Argentina and Uruguay, or the Nordic countries.

I think its a silly expansion, equivalent to if the NCAA wanted to expand the tournament to 96 teams. The competition is diluted enough already, so why make the product worse? Oh wait, its FIFA and all they care about it $£€...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2024 on: January 13, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »
I'm not for any expansion, it will massively dilute the product, but if you're going this route, just go to 64 and keep the 4 team groups. There biggest mistake in my opinion is the decision to do 3-team groups. It would even be better if they did 4-team groups and guaranteed 1/2 advance with the 8 best 3rd place teams joining them.

Regardless, Euro 2016 sucked because the larger field let crap teams in. Yes, Iceland was fun, but on the whole it was a poor tournament. This will lead to the same.

feedback