collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803457 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2025 on: January 13, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »
They are probably only doing the expansion because England sucks so bad and half the time can't get out of group stages.  I definitely disfavor expansion.

The US should host 2026. Its bs that not only were they not selected for 2022, but they were denied in favor of Qatar. Now all the league play (EPL, Bundesliga, etc) is going to be disrupted so that the WC can be held in winter. Generally after these events the players are exhausted and need rest, so this actually has a more detrimental effect on top clubs who will send large numbers of players to the World Cup.   Not to mention by hosting it in Qatar, FIFA is slapping their female fanbase in the face and saying they don't give a damn about those fans.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2026 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
They are probably only doing the expansion because England sucks so bad and half the time can't get out of group stages.  I definitely disfavor expansion.

The US should host 2026. Its bs that not only were they not selected for 2022, but they were denied in favor of Qatar. Now all the league play (EPL, Bundesliga, etc) is going to be disrupted so that the WC can be held in winter. Generally after these events the players are exhausted and need rest, so this actually has a more detrimental effect on top clubs who will send large numbers of players to the World Cup.   Not to mention by hosting it in Qatar, FIFA is slapping their female fanbase in the face and saying they don't give a damn about those fans.

Welcome to FIFA, where nothing else matters except following the $£€. Sad state of affairs really.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2027 on: January 14, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
FIFA reeks of corruption, with 2018 & 2022 glaring examples, but as long as we get 2026, I'm glad the USA didn't get 2022. Call me sentimental, but a potential semifinal or quarterfinal on July 4, 2026 (America's 250th birthday) would be awesome.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2028 on: January 14, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »
FIFA reeks of corruption, with 2018 & 2022 glaring examples, but as long as we get 2026, I'm glad the USA didn't get 2022. Call me sentimental, but a potential semifinal or quarterfinal on July 4, 2026 (America's 250th birthday) would be awesome.
I just hope I live that long  ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2029 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Wasnt at the game, but was doing some filming and interviewing around the stadium and in the local pub for the Sutton United vs Arsenal game, and I had an absolute blast. May have been one of my favorite sporting events Ive been around.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2030 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Wasnt at the game, but was doing some filming and interviewing around the stadium and in the local pub for the Sutton United vs Arsenal game, and I had an absolute blast. May have been one of my favorite sporting events Ive been around.

It was a lot of fun to watch from 4800 miles away, glad you got the chance to experience it up close.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2031 on: June 08, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »
USMNT plays an important match today in Denver.  Check out Henry Sugar's tweetstorm preview of the match starting here

https://twitter.com/LoweDownStats/status/872877819084365824

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2032 on: June 09, 2017, 07:35:34 AM »
Somewhat lackluster performance from the USMNT.  However, Pulisic is God.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2033 on: June 09, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2034 on: June 09, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
statistically the USMT were quite good

https://twitter.com/LoweDownStats/status/873152118282170369

True, but the problem was at home, against T&T, they just didn't generate too many dangerous chances.  The two goals, Dempsey's shot off the crossbar, Jozy's header high, Wood's off the post, and another Pulisic breakaway he skied, there wasn't a whole ton.

And on the flip-side, T&T should have scored twice, had a goal called back by the slightest of offsides, and another rocket that was sent wide.

Pulisic, Nagbe, Villafana, Cameron were all great.  Dempsey, Bradley, and Johnson were all quite disappointing and Brooks looked a little shaky at times.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2035 on: June 09, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
I went to a Crystal Palace vs. Stoke game this year and Cameron was embarrassingly bad that day. I still think the US should play 3 Centre Backs with Fab and Yedlin as wingbacks.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2036 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
I went to a Crystal Palace vs. Stoke game this year and Cameron was embarrassingly bad that day. I still think the US should play 3 Centre Backs with Fab and Yedlin as wingbacks.

That may not be too far out of the future with CCV, EPB, and a lot of other young, talented CB's coming up.

I honestly just want to see Bradley taken off the field and give Cameron a shot at playing a pure destroyer 6.  Bradley just doesn't fit this team the best anymore with the other talent that is there and he gives the ball away too often in the back against talented teams.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2037 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
True, but the problem was at home, against T&T, they just didn't generate too many dangerous chances.  The two goals, Dempsey's shot off the crossbar, Jozy's header high, Wood's off the post, and another Pulisic breakaway he skied, there wasn't a whole ton.

And on the flip-side, T&T should have scored twice, had a goal called back by the slightest of offsides, and another rocket that was sent wide.

Pulisic, Nagbe, Villafana, Cameron were all great.  Dempsey, Bradley, and Johnson were all quite disappointing and Brooks looked a little shaky at times.

To be fair, offsides is offsides no matter slight or wide. And a missed shot is a missed shot, no matter it's velocity.  That's a loose definition of "should" you're using.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2038 on: June 11, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

Bruce Arena reads Scoop!

Although a back 3 of Gonzalez, Cameron, and Ream isn't the most airtight group.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2039 on: June 11, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
Beasley getting abused.  Lack of help defense.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #2040 on: June 11, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »
Guzan is garbage.  Hard to believe we don't have anything better in the system.  A precipitous drop from Howard.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2041 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:38 PM »
Effing hate short corners, never seen one work. I think it's the worst strategy in all of sports. Closely followed by parking the bus when you're only up by one goal.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2042 on: June 11, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
Held on by the fingernails.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #2043 on: June 11, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
Only the third time ever we have tied them there?  Not a single win?  I think things are going to turn around.  Still need to find a goalkeeper though. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2044 on: June 12, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
Only the third time ever we have tied them there?  Not a single win?  I think things are going to turn around.  Still need to find a goalkeeper though.

Things are definitely on the upswing, lot of great young talent out there.  Looking at our roster last night and the number of guys there under the age of 25, then consider down the road, the U20 kids.  Sargent just won the silver boot at the U20 World Cup as a 17 year old.

Ethan Horvath is most likely the long term answer at keeper after this cycle.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2045 on: June 12, 2017, 06:47:51 AM »
Interesting tactics by Bruce last night that worked.  We were ok with conceding possession to Mexico (and the stats show this) but ultimately had about the same scoring chances on the night.  First time we've played at Azteca and gotten a result that we actually deserved IMO.

Would have been interesting to see how the match would have went if Mexico went down to 10 early in the game as should have happened.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2046 on: June 12, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
Interesting tactics by Bruce last night that worked.  We were ok with conceding possession to Mexico (and the stats show this) but ultimately had about the same scoring chances on the night.  First time we've played at Azteca and gotten a result that we actually deserved IMO.

Would have been interesting to see how the match would have went if Mexico went down to 10 early in the game as should have happened.

Seems strategy​ was to shut down middle of the field possession, which they generally accomplished. As well, 1 of the 3 CBs was always free-marking chicharito. Good defensive strategy, overall.

I also think Bruce was experimenting with strategy and lineups. His goal was just to get through without yellows or injuries and try things out.

Counterattack worked pretty well. I love yedlin. Needed a little better finishing. Thought pulisic might add to his mythos in the second half when he beat 2 defenders and ripped a shot just wide.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #2047 on: June 12, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
That play by Pulisic was amazing!  Too bad he struck it just wide of the net.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2048 on: June 12, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
Don't  remember El Tri receiving a card last night, though there should have been a red one early on and Cicheretto desrved one for his dive. But i have been at futbol games in Mexico where the refs are walked onto and off the field surrouned by armed and armored guards so there is intimidation factor

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #2049 on: June 13, 2017, 07:08:47 AM »
Seems strategy​ was to shut down middle of the field possession, which they generally accomplished. As well, 1 of the 3 CBs was always free-marking chicharito. Good defensive strategy, overall.

I also think Bruce was experimenting with strategy and lineups. His goal was just to get through without yellows or injuries and try things out.

Counterattack worked pretty well. I love yedlin. Needed a little better finishing. Thought pulisic might add to his mythos in the second half when he beat 2 defenders and ripped a shot just wide.

Exactly.  And after reading more about it later, Bruce said he basically had two squads practicing the two different formations for the two different matches.  Much, much different than what Jurgen did in barely practicing 3 in the back and then running it out there against Mexico in Columbus.

People will look at the possession stats and get the opinion that the US was dominated, but it was a very even match.  Sure, Mexico could have won if that free-kick was slightly better or that back post shot wasn't skied, but we had our chances too (Wood, Bradley, Pulisic).

feedback