collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802092 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1975 on: July 09, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »
US women looked uninspired today against South Africa.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: July 09, 2016, 09:59:11 PM »
Lots of talk that England has been in talks with Jurgen Klinsmann this weekend about their vacant manager position. Per the Daily Mirror, USA Soccer will not block a move for Klinsmann. Now bear in mind, most of this is from Twitter reports and the Mirror is known as a tabloid, but this does seem to have some legs. Be interesting to see who would be next in line. My guess is Klinsmann would take Andi Herzog with him, possibly Tab Ramos or Jason Kreis as interim manager with the NT targeting either a return for Arena or Bradley, or possibly looking at a MLS coach like Peter Vermes.

No. This is from the same sources that had Jurgen going to Southampton.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: July 09, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »
US women looked uninspired today against South Africa.

I mean, they're so talanted they don't really need to look inspired against the likes of South Africa in what was essentially a friendly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1978 on: July 10, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
No. This is from the same sources that had Jurgen going to Southampton.

Saw some speculation that Klinsmann himself put this out there to leverage a new contract after Copa. If so that seems ridiculous. Let him walk, why would they want to extend him past 2018 now anyway?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: July 20, 2016, 02:33:05 PM »
Not sure how many MLS followers there are on here, but MU alum Axel Sjoberg is having a phenomenal year in Colorado and ESPN recently have him slotted in their mid-year awards as Defender of the Year.

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/2914910/villa-azira-and-curtin-scoop-espn-fcs-mls-midseason-awards

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1980 on: July 20, 2016, 02:58:51 PM »
Saw some speculation that Klinsmann himself put this out there to leverage a new contract after Copa. If so that seems ridiculous. Let him walk, why would they want to extend him past 2018 now anyway?

Big Sam Allardyce was named manager for England today....sucks, was hoping they'd take Klinsmann off our hands.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: July 20, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
Big Sam Allardyce was named manager for England today....sucks, was hoping they'd take Klinsmann off our hands.

Also puts Yedlin's status for next season in jeopardy.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: July 20, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »

Big Sam? Dude got run out of West Ham of all places. Doubt he lasts longer much longer than the 2018 world cup.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1983 on: July 20, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »
Also puts Yedlin's status for next season in jeopardy.

Yedlin is only on loan at Sunderland, and he played well last year.  He may not stay, but if Spurs don't bring him back, I don't think he'll have a problem with suitors.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1984 on: July 20, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »
Big Sam? Dude got run out of West Ham of all places. Doubt he lasts longer much longer than the 2018 world cup.

Classic England, hire another mediocre Englishman who'll underachieve and be out after 2018. Not that Klinsmann would have been a better hire, but at least it would have changed things up. Instead we'll watch Big Sam struggle then get replaced by Steve Bruce, Alan Pardew, Gareth Southgate, or some other nondescript Brit that can't win at a big tourney. At least they're predictable.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1985 on: July 20, 2016, 06:32:56 PM »
Classic England, hire another mediocre Englishman who'll underachieve and be out after 2018. Not that Klinsmann would have been a better hire, but at least it would have changed things up. Instead we'll watch Big Sam struggle then get replaced by Steve Bruce, Alan Pardew, Gareth Southgate, or some other nondescript Brit that can't win at a big tourney. At least they're predictable.

As much as I love west ham, that team is the very definition of mediocrity, and until Bilic got there last year they were pretty content with it.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1986 on: July 20, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »
Yedlin is only on loan at Sunderland, and he played well last year.  He may not stay, but if Spurs don't bring him back, I don't think he'll have a problem with suitors.

Reports were that Sunderland were looking to buy Yedlin, now that isn't certain anymore.  He isn't going to get any time at Tottenham, and I realize he'll have suitors calling, but will they be in the Premier League or another league with similar talent (Bundesliga, La Liga)?  There's the major uncertainty.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1987 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:42 AM »
I decided to start doing stats for the EPL, Championship, and La Liga (next week) as well as MLS. I may do BE soccer as well.

Nobody I know cares about Bundesliga or the Italian league. If there's interest, I'll do it.

If you have questions about your team, just ask me. I'll explain using the stats.

EPL
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/epl/

Championship
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/championship/

MLS
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/mls-aggregate-ranking/
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1988 on: August 16, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
I decided to start doing stats for the EPL, Championship, and La Liga (next week) as well as MLS. I may do BE soccer as well.

Nobody I know cares about Bundesliga or the Italian league. If there's interest, I'll do it.

If you have questions about your team, just ask me. I'll explain using the stats.

EPL

Championship

MLS

Thanks!

I certainly didn't need the stats to tell me the Fire suck though. Glad there are rumblings of Hauptman selling the team. He's a freaking waste of an owner.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1989 on: August 16, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »

EPL

Championship

MLS

I'm a big NYCFC fan and really have no quarrel with where you have us ranked, but moreso curious as to how that under/over ordeal works in comparing the two ranks.

Also curious as to how the Red Bulls are ranked so high.  They are really good at home, but one of the worst road teams in the league.  Add that they have some serious injury concerns mounting (understood that this probably doesn't factor that) and I'm not certain they'll continue to make a whole lot of noise.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1990 on: August 16, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
Thinking about starting a YouTube channel about soccer. As some of you know I'm going to London for sports journalism so trying to build up a portfolio. Y'all should subscribe when I have it up and running.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1991 on: August 16, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
Thanks!

I certainly didn't need the stats to tell me the Fire suck though. Glad there are rumblings of Hauptman selling the team. He's a freaking waste of an owner.

I started doing this because I wanted to find out if the Fire were any good. All the stats tell me now is that the Fire are bad everywhere. yay.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1992 on: August 16, 2016, 02:00:59 PM »
I'm a big NYCFC fan and really have no quarrel with where you have us ranked, but moreso curious as to how that under/over ordeal works in comparing the two ranks.

Also curious as to how the Red Bulls are ranked so high.  They are really good at home, but one of the worst road teams in the league.  Add that they have some serious injury concerns mounting (understood that this probably doesn't factor that) and I'm not certain they'll continue to make a whole lot of noise.

The over/under is just a comparison of where they rank on some stats vs where they are in PPM. NYCFC is ranked 5th in PPM, but the overall stats rank them at 7.6. They have the 7th best goal differential and the 5th best three factors. (But wait, shouldn't that average 6? Yes, it should. I actually track three other stats for MLS and only recently removed them from the site to simplify the message. One of the other three is home and away record. anyway...) The entire thing is imperfect science. If there's a big discrepancy, ask why and look.

NYCFC has a good offense (#3). They are one of the best teams at taking quality shots and they finish a higher percentage of their chances too. Normally, I'd say this might be luck, but NYCFC does have highly skilled players.

Their defense needs help. It's sixteenth overall. They give up a lot of shots and are only average at allowing quality shots. Opponents finish a bit higher than normal too.

The stats love NYRB. They have the #1 offense and the #6 defense. Their offensive profile is similar to NYCFC's, but they take a few more inaccurate shots. On defense, they are really good at preventing shots. They haven't been overly lucky.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1993 on: August 22, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
Updated with La Liga
The site has updated stats for the EPL, Championship, and MLS as of this weekend. Ask me about your team and I'll show you how I use the stats.

EPL

MLS

Championship

La Liga
http://www.lowedownstats.com/index.php/la-liga/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:14:24 AM by Henry Sugar »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1994 on: September 06, 2016, 06:49:16 PM »
I started doing this because I wanted to find out if the Fire were any good. All the stats tell me now is that the Fire are bad everywhere. yay.

Update: Fire look MUCH better with Solignac and de Leeuw. Get a winger and a #10 as DPs this offseason, plus the aforementioned 2 players, plus another year of experience for the back four/Polster? That could be a super competitive team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1995 on: September 06, 2016, 10:48:18 PM »
Man oh man, Christian Pulisic is fun to watch. Kid can create, put it on frame, make timely tackles...I hate getting excited for "the next big thing" but he could really be a world class player. Not saying he's a Messi or Ronaldo or even close, but maybe one of the best players on an elite club team. It's a long way to go, but I don't think I've ever seen a talent like this that was actually delivering at the senior level at this age for the USA ever.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1996 on: September 06, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »
Man oh man, Christian Pulisic is fun to watch. Kid can create, put it on frame, make timely tackles...I hate getting excited for "the next big thing" but he could really be a world class player. Not saying he's a Messi or Ronaldo or even close, but maybe one of the best players on an elite club team. It's a long way to go, but I don't think I've ever seen a talent like this that was actually delivering at the senior level at this age for the USA ever.

I hear that. It always seems like the next great American soccer prodigy ends up failing for one reason or another, so I'm trying to stay grounded with Pulisic. But watching his technique, movement, passing... hard not to get carried away.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1997 on: September 07, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
Pulisic. Yup.

Wood and altidore aren't going to work together.

Klejstan is incredibly successful when he has teammates who move around him. Great vision and passing.

Still hate Fabian at LB.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: September 07, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »

If I was to compare him to a player I think maybe a Mesut Ozul.  Obviously not on that talent level quite yet, but he can get there.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1999 on: September 07, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:54:48 AM by Henry Sugar »

feedback