[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802661 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1750 on: February 01, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
Watching the USA-Iceland friendly....can anyone tell me what Gyasi Zardes does well? I'm not a frequent viewer of MLS and he has yet to impress me in a USA jersey. Seems to just consistently give the ball away.

Just watched the game. As far as Zardes...well...I've been impressed with him as a CF in MLS. Now maybe that was partially being the beneficiary on a team with Donovan and Keane, but he always seemed to be in the right spot and was a strong CF with just enough speed to be dangerous. The problem is he has no position on the US. He's on the right, on the left, in the middle, you never really know. No way to get comfortable. And as a natural CF, he's not really used to providing help defense and tracking back, so he looks out of place on the wing (which he is).

Lots of positives from yesterday. I loved what I saw from Jerome Kieswetter. Speed, good passing, just was always dangerous. And while he got few mentions, Darlington Nagbe had a few bright moments as well, but of course he was deployed on the wing and all his best moments were in the middle of the pitch. Why would I expect JK to put anyone in the position they have had success at? Good to see solid games from Jozy and Morris in attack as well. Going forward, we looked good in general.

Of course, we looked soft at the back again. Iceland could have had 2-3 more if not for shoddy accuracy. Kellyn Acosta disappointed. Offered little going forward and was caught ball-watching on the opener. Ethan Finlay also was less than inspired. Granted, his first real opportunity, but he didn't stake much of a claim. I hoped for more from a guy who has done so well in MLS the past few years.

Would have liked to see Miazga, but glad Birnbaum got a chance and had an impact. Our defense vastly needs an overhaul. However, part of that overhaul is finding a replacement for Jermaine Jones, and playing him doesn't give anyone that opportunity. Would have liked to see Kitchen or Trapp sooner and Tchani get more run.

Hope to see a bit more experimentation on Friday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1751 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21:27 PM »
Probably doesn't help overall that I am incredibly negative when it comes to the Fire ownership. Granted, Nelson just started there along with Pauno. But there is little in the last 4 years to make a Fire fan feel like the ones in charge know what they're doing.

Agreed with everything from WarriorInNYC

I am 100% #HauptmanOut. Having said that, Nelson has earned my patience. He clearly has an overall plan and is being diligent and thorough. I thought Pauno was a good hire and think he'll be a good fit with a young roster. I have #cf97 optimism, even while expecting a rough year with all the youth.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1752 on: February 01, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
Agreed with everything from WarriorInNYC

I am 100% #HauptmanOut. Having said that, Nelson has earned my patience. He clearly has an overall plan and is being diligent and thorough. I thought Pauno was a good hire and think he'll be a good fit with a young roster. I have #cf97 optimism, even while expecting a rough year with all the youth.

Well, the european transfer window is now closed. And, SHOCKER, the Fire did basically nothin.

Does this roster excite anyone? http://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2016/02/01/chicago-fire-weekly-update-february-1

Yuck.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1753 on: February 02, 2016, 11:36:29 AM »
Well, the european transfer window is now closed. And, SHOCKER, the Fire did basically nothin.

Does this roster excite anyone? http://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2016/02/01/chicago-fire-weekly-update-february-1

Yuck.

European teams can still transfer players to MLS. If anything, this helps the Fire because European transfer options are now closed.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1754 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
Fire trade shipp to Montreal for funny money.

Always "more moves coming" from fire management.  Allegedly

My long term fire fandom is hanging by a thread

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1755 on: February 25, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »
Anyone going to Copa America this year? Kinda wish that Colombia played at soldier field. But seeing Argentina may be a nice consolation prize if Messi is playing.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1756 on: February 25, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Anyone going to Copa America this year? Kinda wish that Colombia played at soldier field. But seeing Argentina may be a nice consolation prize if Messi is playing.
I got tickets for the USMNT games in Chicago and Philly.  So excited.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #1757 on: February 25, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
This seems like as good a place as any to ask...
Has anyone ever bought tickets for an EPL match?  I'm going to be in London in a few weeks, and Chelsea and Arsenal are both playing at home while I'm there, so I've been looking into getting tickets.  It basically seems impossible with both places sold-out from season-ticket holders and membership clubs.  The secondary market doesn't look too promising either, with horror stories about online scalpers not following through, or paying to borrow credit-card-style swipe tickets that need to be returned after used.  I'd prefer to catch Chelsea since I'm staying closer to Stamford Bridge.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1758 on: February 25, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »
Has anyone ever bought tickets for an EPL match?  I'm going to be in London in a few weeks, and Chelsea and Arsenal are both playing at home while I'm there, so I've been looking into getting tickets.  It basically seems impossible with both places sold-out from season-ticket holders and membership clubs.  The secondary market doesn't look too promising either, with horror stories about online scalpers not following through, or paying to borrow credit-card-style swipe tickets that need to be returned after used.  I'd prefer to catch Chelsea since I'm staying closer to Stamford Bridge.

You're right with close to impossible. Secondary market is tough too because of the credit card style. I know for world cup tickets you couldn't even sell them on the secondary market. (I had tickets to a game) Do you know if West Ham is in town? They might be an easier get and still a quality side this year.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #1759 on: February 25, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
West Ham is at Leicester City
It's April 16, so it looks like my options at Man City at Chelsea, or Crystal Palace at Arsenal.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1760 on: February 25, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
It's April 16, so it looks like my options at Man City at Chelsea, or Crystal Palace at Arsenal.

You ain't getting anything for the Chelsea game. Best chance is the Palace vs Arsenal. Too bad Palace wasn't at home that'd be more doable.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1761 on: February 26, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »

Going to USA v Cost Rica in Chicago. American Outlaw section...should be a good time!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1762 on: February 26, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »

Did you happen to look at the Championship fixtures?  I know it isn't the same, but Fulham, Brentford, Charlton and QPR all have stadiums in the London area.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1763 on: February 26, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

I have tickets to all four games, but I'm selling the Jamaica ones. Sitting in the American Outlaws section for USA, then some general package tickets for Argentina and the semis.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #1764 on: February 26, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
What section for AO...sucks they are doing non-GA, but i guess i can stay at the bar a bit longer.

Sec. 121 for me

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1765 on: February 26, 2016, 03:35:12 PM »
What section for AO...sucks they are doing non-GA, but i guess i can stay at the bar a bit longer.

Sec. 121 for me

I'm 223 in the AO section.  A coworker came over and started talking to me right at the time they were going on sale, so I was around 10 minutes late or so.  My seats for the Philly game are much better.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1766 on: February 26, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »

Had zero luck in London, just went to a pub around Chelsea, was great.  Just got back from Barcelona and the hotel helped us score four, first row tix at the Camp Nou right where Messi celebrated his free kick goal v Celta Vigo. Worth a shot to ask the hotel. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1767 on: February 26, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »

Sec. 121 for me

I know I'm in the 200s, stupid website wouldn't let me buy on my iPhone and by the time I could log onto a PC those were the best left. Annoying, because I was ready and waiting.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1768 on: March 03, 2016, 12:27:05 PM »
NYWarrior and I are also going to the USA-Costa Rica game and sitting with AO. Section 220.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1769 on: March 25, 2016, 10:53:09 PM »
Not good

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1770 on: March 26, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »
I was watching basketball last night, but got up early this morning to watch yesterday's games. The U-23s actually played pretty well. Got the early goal and despite conceding a penalty, the defense held firm and they got a positive 1-1 draw away to Colombia. Then I watched the senior team.

Ugh.

I only had time for the second half, so after watching the two goals in the first fifteen minutes to go down 2-0 to Guatemala, a team that has NEVER beat us in World Cup Qualifying, I jumped ahead. The goal kick goal was horrible, though. Just letting a goal kick go through the entire midfield and defense to an unmarked Carlos Ruiz? Are you kidding me?

Our attack was lackluster. Got a few chances in front of goal, but shot placement was horrible and outside of one good kick save on Altidore, most of the work the Guatemalan keeper did was pretty routine. In the last 20 minutes, we looked awful. The team was clearly gassed. Not enough left in the tank. I'm used to USA teams that never run out of energy, that have the force of will to put up a fight at the end. We just looked defeated.

Was this the worst loss in USA history? Not sure I'd go that far, but it was probably the worst Qualifying loss, which is pretty bad on the heels of what were arguably the two worst Gold Cup losses in our history. Klinsmann just keeps lowering the bar. Now we are in third place halfway through the round. We have to beat Guatemala on Tuesday. If we draw that, we'll be on the ropes.

I've always felt if we ever missed the World Cup again out of CONCACAF, it would be in this phase. JK needs to pull it together and get 9 points out of the last 3 so we don't just advance, we top the group and have some semblance of confidence. At this point, I'm not sure that's even feasible, though. I could easily see us sitting on the sidelines. Huge mistake by Gulati to not fire Klinsmann after the last round of qualifying. It was the only major gap in significant play and a great time to bring in a new manager. Would have given the new guy a four-month head start on these two fixtures. SMDH.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1771 on: March 28, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
I haven't been a huge Klinnsman fan, but didn't really want him fired either.  And I understand he has done quite a lot to help further US Soccer, and I am very grateful for that.  But I'm officially done with his lineup choices and tactics.

On Friday, he played a RB at CB, so he could play a DM at RB, so he could play a RB at RM, so he could play a CAM at CDM, so he could play a deep lying playmaker at CAM.

This isn't the old USMNT, there is quality talent at every position, yet he continues to try and think he's smarter and play guys out of position.

I also really do not understand his love affair for Zardes.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1772 on: March 28, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
I haven't been a huge Klinnsman fan, but didn't really want him fired either.  And I understand he has done quite a lot to help further US Soccer, and I am very grateful for that.  But I'm officially done with his lineup choices and tactics.

On Friday, he played a RB at CB, so he could play a DM at RB, so he could play a RB at RM, so he could play a CAM at CDM, so he could play a deep lying playmaker at CAM.

This isn't the old USMNT, there is quality talent at every position, yet he continues to try and think he's smarter and play guys out of position.

I also really do not understand his love affair for Zardes.

This is ultimately the issue I have with JK and something I was told he corrected from his Die Mannshaft days.....his tactical and line-up choices. He continues to use players in roles they don't spend time in other than USMNT training camps. He's all about sending his players to Europe to develop, but then never uses them in the roles they are developing in. Sometimes you don't put the 11 best players on the pitch, you put the group of 11 that matches the best.

And I agree, they looked totally gassed which is the one area I thought we would never be concerned with. No matter what, the USMNT always looked like they were playing with all the heart and effort they had and sometimes that was enough. Now we look like we don't have tactics nor hustle.

I think its time to ask JK to take the technical director role full time and leave the team management to someone.....competent.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1773 on: March 29, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »
Wow, Colombia just kicked Ecuador all over the pitch and still didn't have their full squad. No Quintero, (playing in the U23 tonight) Guarin, Sanchez, Aguilar, Zuniga and Armero. Nice to have Arias and Cardona back though. The South American qualifying is gonna be nuts.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about Martinez and Falcao (when healthy)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:08:49 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1774 on: March 29, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »
I still really dislike Gyasi Zardes as a player.