[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802590 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1675 on: August 09, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm working on a digital product right now that targets US Hispanics as a consumer base.  The agency working with the project is so convinced it will be dominated by Mexican fans that they are hiring two planes to pull banners all day at the Rose Bowl with advertising messaging.  Also street teams, etc.  They expect 70%+ Mexican support.

It'll be interesting to see. My guess is probably about 60/40. There's a big grassroots push by Americans to get tickets to that game in the hands of USA supporters.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1676 on: August 09, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
It'll be interesting to see. My guess is probably about 60/40. There's a big grassroots push by Americans to get tickets to that game in the hands of USA supporters.

The firm we use, looks like they lost a pilot today.  Eagles fans hired them to fly an anti-Cowboys banner over Cowboys practice here in So. Cal and the plane crashed and killed the pilot.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story/dallas-cowboys-philadelphia-eagles-plane-crash-banner-compton-oxnard-080915

Sad

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #1677 on: August 10, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
USA/Mexico Confederations Cup playoff scheduled for October 10.

Neither team played well in the gold cup. The US finishing 4th is terrible and Mexico got the benefit of a couple of dubious calls.
Mexico's coaching situation is a bit of a mess right now after firing Piojo. Apparently their top candidate, Marcelo Bielsa just turned down the job. The Mexican press and fanbase thought it was a done deal, as he had just resigned from his gig at Marseille, but he must have realized how unrealistic the expectations of the FMF are.

On paper though, Mexico's players are more talented, but with a new coach and maybe a new system being implemented it's up for grabs for both teams.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: August 20, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »
The Chicago fire are a unnatural carnal knowledgeing joke right now. Highest ever paid DP just left for "personal reasons". Ya, sure. Just like drogba, Jones and Rodgers didn't want to be in Chicago. Ownership on down is awful. The fact that they have a wall street guy with no prior soccer experience having a say in technical decisions is high comedy. Embarrassing

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1679 on: August 20, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
The Chicago fire are a unnatural carnal knowledgeing joke right now. Highest ever paid DP just left for "personal reasons". Ya, sure. Just like drogba, Jones and Rodgers didn't want to be in Chicago. Ownership on down is awful. The fact that they have a wall street guy with no prior soccer experience having a say in technical decisions is high comedy. Embarrassing

Amazing how far and fast that franchise fell. The first few years, they were the envy of the league. I suppose that will happen when you have Peter Wilt and Bob Bradley in charge...

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: August 21, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »

The Fire are a complete mess.  Drives me nuts that my NYCFC only earned 1 point in 2 games against them.

However, I have heard that they are getting some decent money for Maloney.  If they go through some serious coaching changes, could be a good time to bring in a new DP.  Especially with all the movement the league has had this year.  Interest in playing in the MLS is going up and if the Fire can bring in a good coach (feel like this is the most important thing) they could land a quality DP next year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: August 21, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
While it won't change anytime soon cause its a relatively new and nice park, the Fire are hurt by Toyota Park.  Attendance is one of the lowest in the MLS and general buzz about the Fire is always pretty low, despite Chicago being a soccer friendly town.  While at the time, it was a smart decision as it catered to the neighborhood demographics of Chicago's Hispanic population who were early adopters, as the MLS becomes more and more mainstream, it keeps casual fans out.  I'm a big soccer fan, go to pretty much every major friendly and US match at Soldier Field, yet I've been to less than 5 Fire matches cause the only good option is a party bus/shuttle from one of the affiliated bars.  Fun, no doubt, but usually a group activity.  I compare it to games that I've been to in Toronto and Columbus and its no comparison.  Cbus isn't walkable, but its a much more driving-centric city in general.  Hard to draw in a curious, casual fan when they have to drive 40 min.

The mismanagement and lack of success are a completely different story.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1682 on: August 24, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
While it won't change anytime soon cause its a relatively new and nice park, the Fire are hurt by Toyota Park.  Attendance is one of the lowest in the MLS and general buzz about the Fire is always pretty low, despite Chicago being a soccer friendly town.  While at the time, it was a smart decision as it catered to the neighborhood demographics of Chicago's Hispanic population who were early adopters, as the MLS becomes more and more mainstream, it keeps casual fans out.  I'm a big soccer fan, go to pretty much every major friendly and US match at Soldier Field, yet I've been to less than 5 Fire matches cause the only good option is a party bus/shuttle from one of the affiliated bars.  Fun, no doubt, but usually a group activity.  I compare it to games that I've been to in Toronto and Columbus and its no comparison.  Cbus isn't walkable, but its a much more driving-centric city in general.  Hard to draw in a curious, casual fan when they have to drive 40 min.

Disagree entirely. If the Fire were worth watching, the location wouldn't matter.

Back to jesmu84's point, the Fire owner is more concerned with maximizing profitability than he is with a winning product. The organization is a dumpster fire. Yallop may not be a very good coach, but more coaching turnover is only going to reinforce the poor product on the field. Frankly, the entire situation is working just fine for Hauptman. Considering my soccer fandom starts and ends with the Fire (US teams in the middle), it f*cking sucks.

Not only am I boycotting the Fire on TV and at TP, I actively discourage friends from going.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1683 on: September 09, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
Mexican television's hype video for the October 10 game.  Very clever.

https://streamable.com/hplh
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1684 on: September 10, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
Mexican television's hype video for the October 10 game.  Very clever.

https://streamable.com/hplh

I will be there with 93,000 other folks.   Fully expect the USA to play poorly in a road game on our own soil.  Brazil made us look silly the other day.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1685 on: September 12, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
I will be there with 93,000 other folks.   Fully expect the USA to play poorly in a road game on our own soil.  Brazil made us look silly the other day.

They do that to a lot of people, but yeah, that was bad. Thankfully, Mexico isn't even a pale shadow of Brazil. There were some positives to come out of that game, at least I'm hoping. First, until giving up the PK, Cameron did okay against Douglas Costa. I know...Costa was still a terror, but there was a lot more danger coming off the left defensive flank than the right when he was in there. Hope to see Cameron starting in the Confed. Danny Williams was also solid and punctuated it with a fantastic strike.

Our defense is a shambles, but here's what I'd go with right now:

GK Guzan
RB Cameron --- CB Besler --- CB Gonzalez --- LB Johnson
CMF Jones --- CMF Williams
RMF Zardes --- AMF Bradley --- LMF Dempsey
CF Altidore

Okay...maybe not who I'd go with ideally but that's the combination of guys I think would be acceptable that JK might actually go with. Personally, I'd rather see Ethan Finlay at RMF and Zardes taking Altidore's spot up front. And while he might be great on the U-23 team, I also hope Yedlin is available for this team. Him, along with Jordan Morris are our best two options to inject some pace into the lineup in the second half and give us guys that can make a difference once legs start to tire. I think that's good enough to be able to beat Mexico. Not saying they will, or that I trust this coach to win a must-win game (which this is) but that team would at least have a chance.

Now if we go with Alvarado and Brooks, or move Johnson up and have Beasley on the back line, or put Jones in a CB spot instead, well then we'll probably have some problems.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: September 19, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
Don't know how many of you pay attention to the EPL but West Ham pulled off a colossal upset today against Man City. COYI

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
I'll be there today. 

LA Times already warning people to be careful in what they wear, due to the violence from a few years ago.  They tried to partition the tickets, but we believe it will be 70-30 Mexican, if not 80-20.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-us-mexico-soccer-security-20151009-story.html

Dodgers play at roughly the same time, Obama is in town and preparing to leave at same time.  The traffic out here today is going to be something off the charts.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-your-guide-to-surviving-obamajam-other-saturday-traffic-nightmares-20151010-story.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: October 10, 2015, 11:38:16 PM »
*gulp*

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: October 11, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
US should have lost bigger. Terrible first half.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1690 on: October 11, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
It was something to behold last night.  Crazy energy.  In my view Mexico had 80% of the fans, though the suite I was in was at one end and the opposite of the Outlaws.  Still, for every Mexico jersey, I saw one USA jersey.

A home game for the Mexican team to be sure.  Their chants were in unison, their support fantastic.

A few vids I took

Mexicans calling our keeper a Punto  (that's Pus$y for those of you that don't know Spanish)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nvj402q6HnY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nvj402q6HnY</a>

Final Whistle
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VshO2X0d3Jo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VshO2X0d3Jo</a>

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1691 on: October 11, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
US played not to lose and Mexico played to win.  Have to really question the lineup.  Jones got real tired and was not right after the head on collision and was constantly out of place on d.  Beckerman looked unsure on d which was evident on the game winner. 
It was like the US was protecting a lead the entire game.  They never tried to control the ball they just booted it up field to clear it.  Reminded me of a grade school team just learning to play the game

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1692 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »
Bradley continues to disappoint in my opinion.  Solid player, but he had chances last night near the goal and couldn't even get an effective shot on goal.  I feel like he hurries up so much in key situations and is flustered.  He's a maddening player in my opinion. 

Our defense....not good.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1693 on: October 11, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
Bradley was fine last night. Created both goals with the FK and his pass to spring Yedlin. Here were my problems:

1) Our roster didn't suit our tactics: I'm okay with playing defense, conceding possession, and hitting on the counter. That worked for us for many years. But to make that work, you need a DM that can distribute up the pitch and fast wingers that can turn the attack. Beckerman can tackle, but is neither a ball winner nor distributor. We'd be better suited with Danny Williams in that spot (or Bradley, or Jones). And our wings weren't quick. Jones is too slow to counter, as is Zardes. Bedoya and Yedlin are far better suited out there, as is Ethan Finlay, who can't get a call from Klinsmann.

2) Another new defense: I like the four individual players, but Johnson just isn't the same on the right. The bigger problem is none of our defenders are familiar playing together. This has been an issue for a long time now.

3) Subs too late: Yedlin and Wood both made a impact, but too late. Where were they at the 60 minute mark? Yedlin was the first sub in the 78th. We were playing poorly again, so where was the urgency? If the manager doesn't sense the moment, how will the players?

4) Double Loss: Klinsmann earlier this year said the bar for success should be qualifying for the Olympics and Confederations Cup. Yesterday, not only did the full team lose to Mexico, the U23s lost to Honduras. Now we need to beat Canada Tuesday, then win a one game playoff with Colombia in Brazil to reach the Olympics. Klinsmann set two goals and we failed in both.

5) Lack of aggression: We equalized after 6 minutes and 12 minutes. If that ability was there, why not play to win throughout? Conceding possession is fine, but you need to show the ability to threaten. We only did that when we were down.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: October 11, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »
Bradley was fine last night. Created both goals with the FK and his pass to spring Yedlin. Here were my problems:

1) Our roster didn't suit our tactics: I'm okay with playing defense, conceding possession, and hitting on the counter. That worked for us for many years. But to make that work, you need a DM that can distribute up the pitch and fast wingers that can turn the attack. Beckerman can tackle, but is neither a ball winner nor distributor. We'd be better suited with Danny Williams in that spot (or Bradley, or Jones). And our wings weren't quick. Jones is too slow to counter, as is Zardes. Bedoya and Yedlin are far better suited out there, as is Ethan Finlay, who can't get a call from Klinsmann.

Yup. I found it interesting that we started in a 4-4-2 diamond (which worked with the roster), then switched to a 4-4-2 flat (to overcome Mexico dominating the corners of the field). Problem with that is putting Jones on the wing - he is NOT a winger. I wouldn't say Zardes is too slow to counter. I would say it seems we had no plan to counter or know exactly how to counter.

2) Another new defense: I like the four individual players, but Johnson just isn't the same on the right. The bigger problem is none of our defenders are familiar playing together. This has been an issue for a long time now.

Yup. Besler and Cameron should have been the starting CB duo starting since Brazil.

3) Subs too late: Yedlin and Wood both made a impact, but too late. Where were they at the 60 minute mark? Yedlin was the first sub in the 78th. We were playing poorly again, so where was the urgency? If the manager doesn't sense the moment, how will the players?

Agreed. Strange timing for subs. I don't think I saw Dempsey sprint after the 30th minute - seemed not interested in defending/pressing.

4) Double Loss: Klinsmann earlier this year said the bar for success should be qualifying for the Olympics and Confederations Cup. Yesterday, not only did the full team lose to Mexico, the U23s lost to Honduras. Now we need to beat Canada Tuesday, then win a one game playoff with Colombia in Brazil to reach the Olympics. Klinsmann set two goals and we failed in both.

5) Lack of aggression: We equalized after 6 minutes and 12 minutes. If that ability was there, why not play to win throughout? Conceding possession is fine, but you need to show the ability to threaten. We only did that when we were down.

More thoughts that I agree with, per twitter:

"Tonight might be OK if last year had unearthed a new generation of int'l talent. The page was supposed to be turned. It was, just backward."

"I hope this doesn't change your view on Klinsmann. You like him, cool, you don't, fine, but today doesn't change him or his body of work."

On keeping Klins around:

"1. If Bradley + Dempsey are part of WC 2018 roster (yes, I think US qualifies), you need to figure out their roles. Don't exist/work now."

"2. No more U12 soccer backline panic clearances back to opposition. Start attack from back, like you preach. Find guys who do that."

"3. If Jozy is a designated holding 9, that's fine. But someone's gotta run off that. Attacking runs are lacking and unimaginative."

"4. Beckerman needs replaced as 6. Yesterday. Gave a solid career, but he doesn't have it anymore. Wanna increase possession? Start there."

"5. Klinsmann needs to identify a system & players for that system + stick w it. I have no idea what he's trying to accomplish game to game."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1695 on: October 11, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »
We agree on some points, but Bradley has opportunities to do so much more...he's disappointing considering the talent.  He's just not a finisher at the level he should be.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: October 11, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
We agree on some points, but Bradley has opportunities to do so much more...he's disappointing considering the talent.  He's just not a finisher at the level he should be.

I am a big Bradley fan. That being said, he's a box-to-box midfielder. JK has, I believe, been using him incorrectly almost his entire tenure. Bradley makes the first pass to spring attacks and has the vision to do so. He can occasionally win a one-on-one. He can put in great FKs. But he's not a finisher/goal scorer/attacker, IMO.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1697 on: October 11, 2015, 05:06:15 PM »
Bradley's problem under Klinsmann has always been misuse. Remember how disappointed everyone was with him in Brazil? He ran more than any other player. Poor guy was exhausted and his mistakes were usually a result of being told to be our attacking 10 and our defending 6 at the same time, covering for lapses on both ends. That hasn't changed. Bradley disappoints because he's expected to be everywhere and do everything. Then he has a night like last night where he creates two goals and it still isn't enough.

As far as Zardes' speed, I'd say he has striker speed. He's quick enough to run onto a ball or make the quick reaction plays, but not the speed to make a 70 yard run and still dribble and cross at pace like we've seen Yedlin, Johnson, Bedoya, or Donovan do in the past. That's why he plays forward for Galaxy, and why like Bradley and Jones, he's misused by Klinsmann.

It amazes me that Klinsmann is so set with "his guys". It happens to every coach, and it's why I favor only giving a manager one cycle regardless of success, but it sure happened fast with JK. Guys like Dempsey, Beckerman, and Jones continue to play no matter how clearly others have passed them by. Klinsmann is playing the "big picture" card, but his job as a manager is to win TODAY. That's why the dual coach/technical director roles don't work. They conflict because one needs to look at ever day as do or die and the other needs to look at things in terms of years, cycles, and decades.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1698 on: October 11, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »
You guys understand now why during the World Cup I said we are not elite and have a LONG way to go?

We're better than we were two decades ago, but honestly we're a significant cut below the best.  Thing is, Mexico isn't even that good.  We got blown by Brazil a few weeks ago and Brazil is not playing at the level they need to be at in a few years.

We're a pretty good to good program, that currently is not playing well.  We have a LONG way to go.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1699 on: October 11, 2015, 10:27:40 PM »
Brew, I don't dislike Bradley, I just feel like he comes up short on what he is capable of.  He is a solid player, one of our better players.  Wonderful at set pieces.  That service into the box last night was in front of the goal I was at...beautiful placement.  Earlier this year I saw him score on a corner kick against Panama.

Yes, he may be playing out of position, but he's capable of doing it.  What frustrates me with him over the years are the point blank opportunities that he panics on and kicks right at the goalie or flubs badly.  Last night, several chances after really good moves to put the ball on net, and his finish is just so average....missing very wide.  Perhaps he just isn't capable of it, but it feels to me that he is and just hasn't executed at times akin to someone of his skill set.

feedback