[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802410 times)

w0bbie

• Starter
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1450 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for Milwaukee restaurants that will be prioritizing the USWNT game over hockey tonight?  I know the Highbury and Nomad will, but I'm hoping to be able to get some dinner as well.

Three Lions?  Upper 90?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1451 on: June 08, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
Three Lions is a decent shout. Good atmosphere, spacious, decent food. Upper 90 gets a bit crowded and draws more of a general crowd, being downtown.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1452 on: June 08, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
Slow start for the US, nice finish.   I wish they would have possessed the ball in the first half like they started to do in the second once they got the lead.   Too many long passes trying for the quick score without really organizing anything.    Ah, well, a win is a win, especially with Sweden and Nigeria tying.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: June 08, 2015, 10:47:06 PM »
I wish they would have possessed the ball in the first half like they started to do in the second once they got the lead.   Too many long passes trying for the quick score without really organizing anything.   

US started slowly, looked unsteady on the backline, but Solo was locked in and made some fantastic saves.

Rapinoe's work rate was INSANE. She looked like she was everywhere. Just a fantastic motor and play on the ball.

And to your point above, shocked that Wambach played the entire 90. To be honest, the offense looked sluggish with her influence, too many balls flung up looking for her aerial play. She's a legend, but she should be a role player up top once Morgan is healthy, not the focus.  Would love to see Press and Leroux or Press and Morgan up top. Press is the most underrated player on this team, lethal finisher, incredible speed, but she's being asked to play out of position. Her goal was the result of her slipping forward and playing in a more natural spot.

Can't wait for Sweden

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1454 on: June 09, 2015, 06:46:31 AM »
Hopefully that got the nerves out. Rapinoe and Solo were excellent. Hope's first save off the crossbar was fantastic. I only watched bits of this in the second, but I agree that lobbing it for Abby doesn't play to the overall strength of the team. Lots of pace and possession, need to exploit those advantages.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1455 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
And to your point above, shocked that Wambach played the entire 90. To be honest, the offense looked sluggish with her influence, too many balls flung up looking for her aerial play. She's a legend, but she should be a role player up top once Morgan is healthy, not the focus.

Reminiscent of watching Liverpool this season when Gerrard was in the team. Deferring too much to a legend that has lost a yard or two of pace. I think Abby is best suited as a sub at this point. Her size and aerial prowess are a weapon, and her hold up play can help when trying to kill off a game.

The US has to be better in the middle of the pitch to win this tournament. Got overrun early by the Aussies, and the majority of the US attack came from the flanks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:12:19 AM by MUfan12 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: June 09, 2015, 09:10:35 AM »
Press is out of position. Leroux is out of position. Wambach negates their advantage. Krieger was destroyed. Lloyd rarely helped in the middle. Solo got lucky with the crossbar.

Other then Rapinoe and Johnston, no outfield player should be happy. And surely Ellis can't get it this wrong tactically on Friday. It came down to stamina but they can't bank on that being successful every match going forward.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1457 on: June 09, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: June 09, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
Not entirely wrong. Australia certainly better side in the first half and DeCicco even mentioned he felt the US was playing worse 15 minutes into the second half then they did at the end of the first half. One minute later, Australian defender fell asleep and lost Press for the goal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
Agreed, the US looked sluggish and out of sorts for long periods of time.  However, that article also blathers on about Australia surpassing the US as a footballing nation.  The US played like crap and still beat them 3-1.  Without their top striker.  And tinkering with a new lineup.  I hope Sweden beats Australia in their final game and they can take their objective superiority home before the knockout stages.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: June 10, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
Bobby Wood, the closer.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1461 on: June 10, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
Exhibitions are like kissing your sister yet that was a very fun 45 minutes to watch from the US. Energetic, quick, confident, expressive, etc.

jesmu84

• All American

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: June 13, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
Other then Rapinoe and Johnston, no outfield player should be happy. And surely Ellis can't get it this wrong tactically on Friday. It came down to stamina but they can't bank on that being successful every match going forward.

Johnston again was great versus Sweden. Rapinoe quieter. But the midfield/forward tandems continued to be a fractured mess. Ellis has no idea who to play and where to play them and, shocking as it seems, the US is now basically a catenaccio convert.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: June 13, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »
With all of that talent, the women look lost on offense.   They are nearly unable to string together consecutive passes in the offensive end.    Always looking for the long pass over the top.   Frustrating. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1465 on: June 13, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »
I'll stick to watching Copa America right now, the women's game is tough to watch.  I'm working a Copa America project for a vendor for a new streaming service on yaveo.com, having fun putting the games on.  Two more today.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:17:29 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: June 13, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
I'll stick to watching Copa America right now, the women's game is tough to watch.  I'm working a Copa America project for a vendor for a new streaming service on yaveo.com, having fun putting the games on.  Two more today.

Didn't watch last night but the Chile-Ecuador opener was a quite entertaining 90 minutes. This tournament is always fantastic to watch and played correctly during the winter months. Messi today should be spectacular.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1467 on: June 13, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
With all of that talent, the women look lost on offense.   They are nearly unable to string together consecutive passes in the offensive end.    Always looking for the long pass over the top.   Frustrating. 

Agreed. Feel like it's mostly on the coaching staff. It feels like they are built around Lloyd and Wambach, both of whom aren't what they once were.

The defense is fine as is, the striker rotation is as good as can be until Morgan gets back to 100%. Midfield is the biggest issue. I'd like to see Rapinoe in a more central role. Play her as a 10 behind the strikers and even give her the armband as she seems to be the heart and soul of the team. In the past couple years I've loved watching the development of Tobin Heath. I don't know if she's still slowed by the hamstring, but her and Holiday should be on the wings.

The other midfield spot...I'm not sure. Lloyd just doesn't look like what she was. O'Reilly or Brian might be a better option.

I came into the WC with high hopes of a third star. Now...I just don't see it. Sweden exposed the US numerous times yesterday. Their counter attack should have produced a couple goals but thankfully the defense bailed us out when possession failed the front end. With Pinoe as a hub and Holliday and Heath running on, maybe that would work. Let O'Reilly set up as a bridge between the midfield and attack.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: June 13, 2015, 01:02:44 PM »
Didn't watch last night but the Chile-Ecuador opener was a quite entertaining 90 minutes. This tournament is always fantastic to watch and played correctly during the winter months. Messi today should be spectacular.

Cheeing for my boys from Colombia. Should have been the favorites but ravaged by injuries. Little light in the midfield due to no Aguilar, Guarin and Quintero but Falcao is back in form so that helps. Interested to see who plays next to Zapata in center back since Yepes is retired.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1469 on: June 13, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
Looking forward to the USA U-20 team tonight. Lots of young talents there that are fun to watch. Zelalem, Rubio, and Hyndmann are real talents. I also like the promise of the two hyphenated center backs, Palmer-Brown and Carter-Vickers. They play in the U-20 World Cup Quarterfinals tonight against Serbia at 11:30 pm eastern on FS1. For anyone looking for a US team to cheer for that can't quite enjoy the ladies game, this may be well worth the watch. Beat a talented Colombia squad 1-0 to get here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1470 on: June 13, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »

You missed nothing last night....not a quality game. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #1471 on: June 13, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »
[quo

r=Golden Avalanche link=topic=27124.msg736188#msg736188 date=1434213110]
Johnston again was great versus Sweden. Rapinoe quieter. But the midfield/forward tandems continued to be a fractured mess. Ellis has no idea who to play and where to play them and, shocking as it seems, the US is now basically a catenaccio convert.
[/quote]

Well, the Azzurri did pretty well playing that way, didn't they?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: June 13, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »
Looking forward to the USA U-20 team tonight. Lots of young talents there that are fun to watch. Zelalem, Rubio, and Hyndmann are real talents. I also like the promise of the two hyphenated center backs, Palmer-Brown and Carter-Vickers. They play in the U-20 World Cup Quarterfinals tonight against Serbia at 11:30 pm eastern on FS1. For anyone looking for a US team to cheer for that can't quite enjoy the ladies game, this may be well worth the watch. Beat a talented Colombia squad 1-0 to get here.

Hate to break it to you, but that colombia squad isn't that great compared to the last few years. Don't know the American team that well but don't put a win over the U-20 colombia side as a baseline.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1473 on: June 13, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
Paraguay just scored in the 90th minute to tie Argentina after trailing 2-0 earlier in the game.  Messi and the Argentines are stunned.  The whole tournament could be up for grabs now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1474 on: June 14, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »
Paraguay just scored in the 90th minute to tie Argentina after trailing 2-0 earlier in the game.  Messi and the Argentines are stunned.  The whole tournament could be up for grabs now.

The whole tournament is basically set up so Chile plays Brazil or Argentina in the final. Both the winner of Argentina's and Brazil's group, and the runner up in Argentina's, are on one side of the bracket for the knock out stages.

feedback