[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 800812 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1475 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »
Hate to break it to you, but that colombia squad isn't that great compared to the last few years. Don't know the American team that well but don't put a win over the U-20 colombia side as a baseline.

Colombia isn't near as good as their current golden generation, but they still have some talent. Unfortunately, the US went out last night. They defended pretty well from what I saw and had possession, but couldn't turn that into enough chances. Went to penalties, and just too many missed chances. Steffen made consecutive saves to keep the shootout going but some soft attempts and blatant misses rendered his heroics moot.

My biggest takeaway is we still lack that one dynamic playmaker. Zelalem shows flashes, but couldn't set up that final ball. Clearly he's young, but the parts I watched showed that possession wasn't a problem but no one could open up the final third. Too bad, with Mali waiting they had a real chance to make the Final.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: June 14, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
[quo

r=Golden Avalanche link=topic=27124.msg736188#msg736188 date=1434213110]
Johnston again was great versus Sweden. Rapinoe quieter. But the midfield/forward tandems continued to be a fractured mess. Ellis has no idea who to play and where to play them and, shocking as it seems, the US is now basically a catenaccio convert.

Well, the Azzurri did pretty well playing that way, didn't they?

Indeed. But they invented it. Ingrained upon the player from youth to senior levels and every tier in between. Not so with the US Women's program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1477 on: June 14, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
Venezuela just beat Columbia in the Copa.   Brazil v Peru next.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »
USA vs. Colombia in the round of 16. Vamos Colombia. Could never cheer for the US over Colombia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: June 17, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
USA vs. Colombia in the round of 16. Vamos Colombia. Could never cheer for the US over Colombia.

Why?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: June 17, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
Why?

Half Colombian (though if you met me you would never guess it), mom was born there. Absolutely love the country have the best time whenever I visit. Plus it would mean so much more to the people there then it would to the US.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: June 17, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
Half Colombian (though if you met me you would never guess it), mom was born there. Absolutely love the country have the best time whenever I visit. Plus it would mean so much more to the people there then it would to the US.

Ah...that's right...I remember you mentioning this last year too.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: June 17, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »

Ah...that's right...I remember you mentioning this last year too.

In all honesty though if you're looking for an awesome vacation abroad for pretty cheap check out colombia. The coast I'd beautiful, not nearly as dangerous as people say and they love to drink.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1483 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »
Go figure, Colombia gets shut out by Venezuela of all teams and comes back to beat Brazil the next time out with a goal from their worst defenceman of all people.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1484 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
Go figure, Colombia gets shut out by Venezuela of all teams and comes back to beat Brazil the next time out with a goal from their worst defenceman of all people.

And Neymar with the red card after the game is over.....screwing up a ton of my advertising.  Grrrrr

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: June 18, 2015, 10:01:44 AM »
Wouldn't mind a little revenge for this sucker punch in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMyvd12i3o

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #1486 on: June 18, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »

Is this actually true?  If it were a junior or senior men's team, then it's unquestionable, but does it still hold for the women's team?  Men in Blazers were talking yesterday about how huge the WWC is in the USA compared to other countries.  They were comparing the TV coverage here (2 of the 3 USA group games were broadcast OTA on Fox, the other nationally on FS1) versus Rog struggling to find the England game on TV in London.  They also said when you see WWC coverage abroad, it is more likely to focus on how the Americans are so into it rather than covering the actual soccer.  I realize this is anecdotal and likely embellished for comedic purposes, but I suspect it also has some truth to it.  Here's a screenshot from the Bogota newspaper El Tiempo's Futbol page.  The morning after advancing to the knockout stage, there is one article and the WWC does not even get a link in the Futbol Topics of the Day at the top of the page.  On the other hand, US publications have been giving the WWC considerable coverage.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: June 18, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
Is this actually true?  If it were a junior or senior men's team, then it's unquestionable, but does it still hold for the women's team?  Men in Blazers were talking yesterday about how huge the WWC is in the USA compared to other countries.  They were comparing the TV coverage here (2 of the 3 USA group games were broadcast OTA on Fox, the other nationally on FS1) versus Rog struggling to find the England game on TV in London.  They also said when you see WWC coverage abroad, it is more likely to focus on how the Americans are so into it rather than covering the actual soccer.  I realize this is anecdotal and likely embellished for comedic purposes, but I suspect it also has some truth to it.  Here's a screenshot from the Bogota newspaper El Tiempo's Futbol page.  The morning after advancing to the knockout stage, there is one article and the WWC does not even get a link in the Futbol Topics of the Day at the top of the page.  On the other hand, US publications have been giving the WWC considerable coverage.

Yeah, this is the same understanding I have as well.  There is a ton of pressure for the women's team to not only perform well, but win the whole damn thing.  Meanwhile, the Colombian women's team was picked to finish last in their group, I would expect them advancing through to make much bigger news.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: June 18, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »

That statement is nowhere near factual.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: June 23, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
There is some good MLS soccer this weekend as its rivalry week.  Sunday has NYCFC vs Red Bulls, Yankee Stadium looks like it will be sold out (I'll be heading there in blue of course).  Its tough to tell how much that means in attendance since not all sections are opened (directly behind home plate would be terrible seats so they don't open the section.  Looks like this time they have nearly the entire stadium open, so I'm guessing around 45,000 will be there.

On another related note, NYCFC is rumored to be adding Andrea Pirlo.  Another aging star, but an absolute legend.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1490 on: June 23, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »
Man does that Women's World Cup bracket look unbalanced. The top three teams (Germany, USA, France) all playing into the same semi-final. Whoever comes out on that side will certainly be favored in the final.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: June 23, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
There is some good MLS soccer this weekend as its rivalry week.  Sunday has NYCFC vs Red Bulls, Yankee Stadium looks like it will be sold out (I'll be heading there in blue of course).  Its tough to tell how much that means in attendance since not all sections are opened (directly behind home plate would be terrible seats so they don't open the section.  Looks like this time they have nearly the entire stadium open, so I'm guessing around 45,000 will be there.

On another related note, NYCFC is rumored to be adding Andrea Pirlo.  Another aging star, but an absolute legend.

An intriguing story/dynamic....

http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2015/6/22/8822895/report-nyc-staff-wanted-younger-dp-man-city-overruled-them?utm_campaign=hudsonriverblue&utm_content=article%3Atop&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: June 24, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »
An intriguing story/dynamic....

http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2015/6/22/8822895/report-nyc-staff-wanted-younger-dp-man-city-overruled-them?utm_campaign=hudsonriverblue&utm_content=article%3Atop&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#

Yeah it is, I've been following it somewhat closely and don't think its too much the controversy as some of the reporters are making it out to be.

I think Kreis and Reyna wanted a younger forward initially, then CFG said, "We can bring in Pirlo".  There isn't any way you turn down the chance to sign Pirlo.  I doubt there was any push back from Kreis/Reyna on the idea of bringing him in.

And personally, I understand wanting to bring in younger players with star potential to build around long term, but this is a brand new team.  Bringing in an Italian legend into NYC will help generate some interest in the team in these first couple of years, bring in the younger star when he retires.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: June 24, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
Yeah it is, I've been following it somewhat closely and don't think its too much the controversy as some of the reporters are making it out to be.

I think Kreis and Reyna wanted a younger forward initially, then CFG said, "We can bring in Pirlo".  There isn't any way you turn down the chance to sign Pirlo.  I doubt there was any push back from Kreis/Reyna on the idea of bringing him in.

And personally, I understand wanting to bring in younger players with star potential to build around long term, but this is a brand new team.  Bringing in an Italian legend into NYC will help generate some interest in the team in these first couple of years, bring in the younger star when he retires.

Considering Kreis' comments after he turned down the chance to sign Xavi two months ago I think he feels there is every way he would turn down the chance to sign Pirlo.

It's ironic that the Pirlo news comes as NYC is actually resembling a decent football team with their play after weeks upon weeks of dogcrap. Way to upset the apple cart, Sheik Mansour Dumbass.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
Considering Kreis' comments after he turned down the chance to sign Xavi two months ago I think he feels there is every way he would turn down the chance to sign Pirlo.

It's ironic that the Pirlo news comes as NYC is actually resembling a decent football team with their play after weeks upon weeks of dogcrap. Way to upset the apple cart, Sheik Mansour Dumbass.

Agree to disagree.  Pirlo's game doesn't require him to run all that much, and his game is still very elite.  There is a big difference between him and Xavi as Xavi has been coming late off the bench for Barca, whereas Pirlo plays full 90 consistently for Juve, and Liverpool was just trying to sign him.  He was named Serie A player of the year as recently as 2014.  The guy still has plenty of game and the demand for him this year was miles higher than Xavi.

I do like the recent play, but the team as is still isn't talented enough to not tinker with it.  Especially with the upcoming weeks of losing Mix to the Gold Cup and a much tougher schedule going forward.  There are quite a lot of new talented players coming in beginning in July.  From current signings, you'll see a new LB (Angelino), RB (Iraola), CAM (Lampard), and now CDM (Pirlo).  As well as rumblings of another signing or two.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »
Man does that Women's World Cup bracket look unbalanced. The top three teams (Germany, USA, France) all playing into the same semi-final. Whoever comes out on that side will certainly be favored in the final.

And this was likely done on purpose.  The top seeds were not drawn into groups, but were placed into groups.  And those top seeds all won their groups and were placed into their slots in the knockout stage.  I think it is fairly obvious that they gave Canada as clear a shot as possible to get to the finals to help with attendance. 

Brazil losing early in the knockouts means Canada has to face England, and then likely Japan, to get to the Finals. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: June 24, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
Agree to disagree.  Pirlo's game doesn't require him to run all that much, and his game is still very elite.  There is a big difference between him and Xavi as Xavi has been coming late off the bench for Barca, whereas Pirlo plays full 90 consistently for Juve, and Liverpool was just trying to sign him.  He was named Serie A player of the year as recently as 2014.  The guy still has plenty of game and the demand for him this year was miles higher than Xavi.

Pirlo's demand is likely the same place it had been for Xavi.....the middle east (Liverpool wasn't realistic). For Kreis' purposes, Pirlo and Xavi don't have much difference in their games as both would be deferential to Mix and Lampard. Even the NYC color analyst Ian Joy talked two weeks ago how Pirlo doesn't fit the system nor style Kreis wants and he wouldn't see any benefit to NYC using a DP slot on Pirlo, regardless of the player Pirlo has been. This was before the Sheik demanded the signing so I'm sure we'll see Joy change his tone in the upcoming days.

No denying Pirlo has the fountain of youth elixir in his back pocket but many, many people have and will opine that he's not what NYC needs. This is pure marketing.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: June 24, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »
Pirlo's demand is likely the same place it had been for Xavi.....the middle east (Liverpool wasn't realistic). For Kreis' purposes, Pirlo and Xavi don't have much difference in their games as both would be deferential to Mix and Lampard. Even the NYC color analyst Ian Joy talked two weeks ago how Pirlo doesn't fit the system nor style Kreis wants and he wouldn't see any benefit to NYC using a DP slot on Pirlo, regardless of the player Pirlo has been. This was before the Sheik demanded the signing so I'm sure we'll see Joy change his tone in the upcoming days.

No denying Pirlo has the fountain of youth elixir in his back pocket but many, many people have and will opine that he's not what NYC needs. This is pure marketing.

Part of my opinion on this may be a bit wearing the blue and white glasses, but I disagree with this a bit.

To be honest, I'm not too sure where Liverpool being unrealistic is coming from, just that they were making a serious run at him, but it would most likely come down to him staying at Juve or coming to NYC.  The other place thrown out was Sydney, but I don't think that ever had serious potential.

I like Ian Joy, but I don't get how Pirlo doesn't fit Kreis' system.  Kreis uses the 4-4-2 diamond in which one of his major components is a deep-lying playmaker.  Pirlo is potentially one of the best deep-lying playmakers in the world.  I heard Ian Joy's comments on it, but just didn't feel that was completely accurate.  The one DP that I don't think quite fits Kreis' system is Lampard.

Pirlo will be at NYCFC max for a year and a half I'm sure.  I'm not too sure there were other players that would have made a better DP signing right now.  I do get the marketing point, I will definitely say this is a grand slam for that, tapping into the Italian market and generating additional instant interest in a team in its first season, but I really do think its much more than that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: June 24, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »
To be honest, I'm not too sure where Liverpool being unrealistic is coming from, just that they were making a serious run at him, but it would most likely come down to him staying at Juve or coming to NYC.  The other place thrown out was Sydney, but I don't think that ever had serious potential.

There was never a serious run at him. That was all tabloid nonsense.

If they wanted to keep an aging midfielder to sit back, play 40 yard balls, and take set pieces, they would have kept Gerrard.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: June 24, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »
There was never a serious run at him. That was all tabloid nonsense.

If they wanted to keep an aging midfielder to sit back, play 40 yard balls, and take set pieces, they would have kept Gerrard.

Ahh, I don't follow the EPL too closely, but had seen quite a few major media outlets reporting it, so figured they were in play a bit.  But honestly had not looked too far into those rumors.