[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802641 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1175 on: July 04, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Yeah, I would have no interest in watching the game in Cowboys Stadium, or any other stadium.  My first choice is home.  My second choice is a bar with a good view.  My third choice is to follow on Twitter or something.  Really, if I lived in Dallas, why would I want to leave my home with my nice television to drive to Arlington to watch the game on a video board?

And yeah it does show why Cowboys Stadium doesn't give their team any home field advantage.  Too big and too comfortable.

BTW, this was interesting.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/03/world_cup_player_introductions_a_deep_analysis_of_how_soccer_players_fold.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: July 04, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
I guess we know why aron didn't play more in Brazil.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1177 on: July 04, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
Yeah, I would have no interest in watching the game in Cowboys Stadium, or any other stadium.  My first choice is home.  My second choice is a bar with a good view.  My third choice is to follow on Twitter or something.  Really, if I lived in Dallas, why would I want to leave my home with my nice television to drive to Arlington to watch the game on a video board?

And yeah it does show why Cowboys Stadium doesn't give their team any home field advantage.  Too big and too comfortable.

BTW, this was interesting.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/03/world_cup_player_introductions_a_deep_analysis_of_how_soccer_players_fold.html

Soldier Field had 25K in it.  Pick a stadium.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: July 04, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
I guess you didn't read my entire post.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1179 on: July 04, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »
His shooting and the own goal were not correlated at all. My grandpa, uncles, aunts etc. who all still live there never let me forget that often misunderstood fact. Watch the 30 for 30 on that team. Plus Colombia is completely different than it was 20 years ago.

To say there was no correlation ignores every report on the crime, including those published just in the last two days.  Simply put, nothing has been proven.  They simply don't know, but they do know that he was harassed in the bar last night as people were yelling "own goal" to him and then he left.  His fiancee claims with every shot they pumped into his back, they yelled "GOALLLLLL". 

http://colombiareports.co/former-colombia-soccer-player-andres-escobar-assassinated-20-years-ago-today/

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/colombia_remembers_1994_murder.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/world-cup/decades-after-andres-escobar-killing-colombian-soccer-finally-recovers/article19436097/

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: July 04, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »
To say there was no correlation ignores every report on the crime, including those published just in the last two days.  Simply put, nothing has been proven.  They simply don't know, but they do know that he was harassed in the bar last night as people were yelling "own goal" to him and then he left.  His fiancee claims with every shot they pumped into his back, they yelled "GOALLLLLL". 

http://colombiareports.co/former-colombia-soccer-player-andres-escobar-assassinated-20-years-ago-today/

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/colombia_remembers_1994_murder.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/world-cup/decades-after-andres-escobar-killing-colombian-soccer-finally-recovers/article19436097/

Yea well im gonna take offense when you insult my country. Anyways, im so proud of how they played this world cup and its just frusturating when the 2nd goal by Brazil shouldnt have been because of a flop that led to a free kick. Whatever, Brazil gets the home cooking again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1181 on: July 04, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
I guess you didn't read my entire post.

Read it entirely.  It would not be in your list of where to go.  I was specifically responding to your last point about it being too big and comfy, so I threw out Soldier Field which isn't exactly comfy nor too big, IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1182 on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »
Yea well im gonna take offense when you insult my country. Anyways, im so proud of how they played this world cup and its just frusturating when the 2nd goal by Brazil shouldnt have been because of a flop that led to a free kick. Whatever, Brazil gets the home cooking again.

Well, Colombia has had a few issues in the past (as have all countries).  As I've noted here before, I lived close to 5 years of my life in South America and Central America.  Some wonderful people down there for the most part.  Unfortunately, an own goal may have cost that many his life.  Eric Wynalda, who was the American involved in that play with Escobar, was from my hometown and we played against each other in high school and in various other contests. I lost touch with him after high school, but would love to hear his thoughts about the entire thing.  Tragic.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: July 05, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
Eric Wynalda, who was the American involved in that play with Escobar, was from my hometown and we played against each other in high school and in various other contests. I lost touch with him after high school, but would love to hear his thoughts about the entire thing.  Tragic.

Given how petty and venomous he's been recently, he'd probably just use it as a platform to trash Jurgen.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: July 05, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
120+ minute GK sub? wow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: July 05, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
I went into that game leaning toward the dutch.   Their offensive scheme was so ridiculously dull I started rooting for CR. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1186 on: July 05, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
Dutch deserved to win that game....glad it happened for them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: July 06, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
I went into that game leaning toward the dutch.   Their offensive scheme was so ridiculously dull I started rooting for CR. 

You don't have that backwards?  CR was playing for PKs from about the 60th minute on.  No counter attacking, 9-10 men behind the ball.  The few interesting opportunities they had were from individual brilliance by Ruiz or headband bro, both solo up top fighting 2-3 Dutch defenders.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: July 06, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
Dutch deserved to win that game....glad it happened for them.

No team "deserves" to win a game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1190 on: July 06, 2014, 10:45:39 PM »

Well, respectfully disagree.  I know the Dutch players feel the same way, so do a number of soccer analysts.

"The Dutch deserved to win this game"
-Alexi Lalas, ESPN Futbol analyst

"The Dutch completely deserved to win their quarter final over Costa Rica"
Michael Burgess, New Zealand Herald

"It was all that the Dutch deserved, too. Not only did they produce a nerveless shootout performance to score through Robin van Persie, Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben and Dirk Kuyt, they were relentless all night in the face of some remarkable misfortune."
-Ian Ladyman, DailyMail (UK)

"The wonderful, amazing, Costa Rican adventure had come to an end, while the Dutch, deservedly, march on."
-Michale Lynch, Sydney Morning Herald

"Both sides struggled to create clear openings in the final third, but it is difficult to argue that Netherlands did not deserve to come through."
-Matt Law, La Liga Correspondent Sports Mole

"Dutch scrape through. Deserved it on 120 mins of play. van Gaal masterstroke by bringing @TimKrul on. Psychological warfare."
-Joey Barton, Queens Park Rangers

"We deserved the win. They only had one chance in 117 minutes. Football won on the night"
-Arjen Robben, Dutch National Team

"There was only one team that deserved to go to the semi-finals and it was us. If you work hard you go very far."
-Wesley Sneijder, Dutch National Team

“I thought we had more quality than Costa Rica and deserved to win. I don’t know how much ball possession we had, how many times we hit the woodwork and how many chances we had – in the end it’s all about scoring.”
-Louis Van Gaal, Coach of Netherlands National Team

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
Never saw the total percentages of possession but CR couldn't keep the ball and it has to be very lopsided. The Orange certainly deserved the win but soccer is a cruel sport and I was worried that an unfortunate bounce was going to go against them. The best team won

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1192 on: July 06, 2014, 11:13:28 PM »
Never saw the total percentages of possession but CR couldn't keep the ball and it has to be very lopsided. The Orange certainly deserved the win but soccer is a cruel sport and I was worried that an unfortunate bounce was going to go against them. The best team won

Agree.  It would have been like the US beating Belgium after being dominated most of the game.  Obviously you take the win, but the Belgians deserved that win.  Soccer is a very cruel game in that regard.  You can take 25 shots, hit the post 25 times, have the ball in their half 89 minutes and 30 seconds, but if one guy breaks lose and shoots the only shot of the game and it goes in, you lose.  Much different than MLB, or NFL or certainly the NBA where you can't be dominated that badly and not lose.  Hockey is the only one where I have seen some goofy things.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1193 on: July 06, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »
Not much changes in the World Cup.

Only twice in WC history has a nation not from Europe or South America made the Final Four.  2002 with S. Korea and 1930 with the USA (where we lost 6-1 to Argentina).

Netherlands is the only one not to win the WC, but they have been a bride's maid 3 times, including the last WC.  Brazil, Germany and Argentina have won and combined 10 times in the 19 WC finals.  They have a great shot to make it 11 out of 20 and will guarantee such a result if the Dutch fall to the Argentines.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:30:11 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
Well, respectfully disagree.  I know the Dutch players feel the same way, so do a number of soccer analysts.

"The Dutch deserved to win this game"
-Alexi Lalas, ESPN Futbol analyst

"The Dutch completely deserved to win their quarter final over Costa Rica"
Michael Burgess, New Zealand Herald

"It was all that the Dutch deserved, too. Not only did they produce a nerveless shootout performance to score through Robin van Persie, Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben and Dirk Kuyt, they were relentless all night in the face of some remarkable misfortune."
-Ian Ladyman, DailyMail (UK)

"The wonderful, amazing, Costa Rican adventure had come to an end, while the Dutch, deservedly, march on."
-Michale Lynch, Sydney Morning Herald

"Both sides struggled to create clear openings in the final third, but it is difficult to argue that Netherlands did not deserve to come through."
-Matt Law, La Liga Correspondent Sports Mole

"Dutch scrape through. Deserved it on 120 mins of play. van Gaal masterstroke by bringing @TimKrul on. Psychological warfare."
-Joey Barton, Queens Park Rangers

"We deserved the win. They only had one chance in 117 minutes. Football won on the night"
-Arjen Robben, Dutch National Team

"There was only one team that deserved to go to the semi-finals and it was us. If you work hard you go very far."
-Wesley Sneijder, Dutch National Team

“I thought we had more quality than Costa Rica and deserved to win. I don’t know how much ball possession we had, how many times we hit the woodwork and how many chances we had – in the end it’s all about scoring.”
-Louis Van Gaal, Coach of Netherlands National Team

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: July 07, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
Agree.  It would have been like the US beating Belgium after being dominated most of the game.  Obviously you take the win, but the Belgians deserved that win.  Soccer is a very cruel game in that regard.  You can take 25 shots, hit the post 25 times, have the ball in their half 89 minutes and 30 seconds, but if one guy breaks lose and shoots the only shot of the game and it goes in, you lose.  Much different than MLB, or NFL or certainly the NBA where you can't be dominated that badly and not lose.  Hockey is the only one where I have seen some goofy things.

+1. Makes hockey and soccer results much more random (crapshoot) than other sports. Glad you've seen the light.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1196 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
+1. Makes hockey and soccer results much more random (crapshoot) than other sports. Glad you've seen the light.

Except it almost never happens, which is why the same highly ranked \ seeded teams make it through.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1197 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Well, many disagree.  To each their own.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: July 08, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
The German national team may wanna hunker down tonight. The country is gonna riot after that one.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1199 on: July 08, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »
USA's 6-1 loss in 1930, worst ever Final Four performance is wiped out by today's performance between Germany and Brazil.

feedback