collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803251 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #1100 on: July 01, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »
Wondo had the game right there.  This will be fun to watch in  overtime . Hope Howard can continue to his dominance

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1101 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
Ugh.  Besler played well, then looked tired and over-matched late.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1102 on: July 01, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
JFG

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1103 on: July 01, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
Wondo had the game right there.  This will be fun to watch in  overtime . Hope Howard can continue to his dominance

It was a fun run, but we were outclassed most of the game today.  The last 15 minutes in extra time was terrific by the U.S..  That was an epic set play that almost worked to tie the game...wow.  Had Belgium on the ropes, then again the Belgians had us on the ropes most of the game.  Howard was the man of the match.

Keep making progress, and maybe opportunity awaits in a few world cups down the road where we could be a final 8 or final 4 team, but still a ways off.  Just being realistic.  Fun run, proud of the boys. Good to see Michael Bradley make the great ball on the goal...something to build on.  Maybe Chico jr. is the goalie in 2022.   ;)

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
― William Arthur Ward

brandx

« Reply #1104 on: July 01, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »
Sorry, but soccer reminds me of going to a Marquette game where Derrick is the best offensive player on the court.

Then after an epic 23-21 game, all we hear is how great the defense was.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1105 on: July 01, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
Because we aren't in their class.  Maybe shocked is a bit strong, but how about very surprised.  I expect we give them a good go, but ultimately lose 2-1.  When we played against Germany, we chased all day and there was zero doubt in my mind who controlled the game, who had the better play.  Vs Portugal, we were the better team but I'm not sure that's saying much watching Portugal in this tournament.  They were ranked highly, but didn't look that great.  Ghana, honestly felt we were fortunate to get the W...chased a lot that game as well.

Maybe another way to put it, this group was tagged the group of death PRIOR to the tournament.  In watching them play, not sure I would categorize it as the toughest group viewing the actual play.  My two cents.   

I'm boycotting Belgian Waffles over the weekend.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
After that loss...

Allez les bleus!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1107 on: July 01, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
After that loss...

Allez les bleus!

They are playing very well....still, very difficult for me ever to cheer for the French.  Going with the ancestry, go DUTCH

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: July 01, 2014, 09:22:08 PM »
Please, its all about Colombia. Unidos por un pais.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »
The injuries were a killer, as was the Portugal equalizer. It would have been nice to rest players against Germany.

Don't think they are as far away as Chicos thinks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1110 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
The injuries were a killer, as was the Portugal equalizer. It would have been nice to rest players against Germany.

I don't know.  Outclassed by Germany and Belgium.  We never give up, always have a chance in these games, but no one with any cred is going to argue who the better teams are on the field.  Have only beaten one high level European team in the 16 years in a marquee competition like this.  I love the game, we keep getting better.  I played against Erik Wynalda and Cobi Jones in high school, been around the game my whole life. Definitely getting better, but still think we have a long ways to go.

As long as the best athletes in the country end up playing other sports, it will be tough.  That being said, I thought this year's team was as athletic as we've been in a long time.  Need to get bigger and stronger and faster at key positions still, but progress nonetheless.  

Another reason I'm not in favor of paying college athletes.  It will lead to the shutting down of programs, including men's soccer.  Our Olympic sports will suffer as a result, just as men's Olympic sports have already suffered since Title IX was implemented.  Nature of the beast.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:48:05 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1111 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:57 AM »
Please, its all about Colombia. Unidos por un pais.

I can't cheer for a country where some of the citizenry kills its players when they don't play well....just doesn't seem right. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1112 on: July 02, 2014, 07:29:39 AM »
I'm really excited for Copa America 2016
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »

Considering all went to crap 22 minutes into the Cup, the team and Klinsi did a good job of manufacturing what they could. They may not have jumped leaps and bounds into the dominant force that so many snobbish self-righteous nose sneering folks (a few in this thread join that crowd) want but to be versatile enough to play different systems game to game and have impact subs off the bench is progress not to be laughed at.

It is humorous that the US soccer program is now in a position of having gained respect from the traditionally snobbish but will deal with the newly snobbish that constantly point to being outclassed and bemoan never having the best athletes in the country playing the game or generally finding any bit of negativity to exploit and condemn as a sign that our program is amateurish at best with only moments of "fun" involved.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: July 02, 2014, 09:04:11 AM »
I don't know.  Outclassed by Germany and Belgium.  We never give up, always have a chance in these games, but no one with any cred is going to argue who the better teams are on the field.

And no one has.

The quality gap between the US and the elites shows in the depth. Yesterday, Belgium brought on a striker off the bench that scored 15 times in the Premiership. The US brought on Wondo.

The USA's best XI, when healthy, aren't that far away. This was always going to be a transitional cycle, and they did damn well all things considered. With the Gold Cup, Olympics, and Copa America coming up, there's a chance to develop the young guys even further.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
Considering all went to crap 22 minutes into the Cup, the team and Klinsi did a good job of manufacturing what they could. They may not have jumped leaps and bounds into the dominant force that so many snobbish self-righteous nose sneering folks (a few in this thread join that crowd) want but to be versatile enough to play different systems game to game and have impact subs off the bench is progress not to be laughed at.

It is humorous that the US soccer program is now in a position of having gained respect from the traditionally snobbish but will deal with the newly snobbish that constantly point to being outclassed and bemoan never having the best athletes in the country playing the game or generally finding any bit of negativity to exploit and condemn as a sign that our program is amateurish at best with only moments of "fun" involved.

Exactly.

**25 years ago we had to beat Trinidad & Tobago just to get to the Finals.

**16 years ago we had a disaster of a performance finishing dead last in a group and losing to the likes of Iran.

**And now we have been to the knock out round in two consecutive Cups.  (One of only 8 squads to do so.)  

Slow and steady progress.  Furthermore you see what Klinnsman is trying to do.  He is demanding a type of game that the US hasn't played before.  One that can lead to future success where a semifinal appearance is the next step we take.

Just because we are big and rich doesn't mean we can overcome a weak history and decades removed from the soccer networks in Europe.  (If you read Soccernomics you know what I mean.)  You have to build it brick by brick.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: July 02, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: July 02, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »

Not to mention we just survived the Group of Death. Just off the top of my head, Germany, Portugal, Ghana, Belgium... did any other team play a more difficult group of teams? And if you're going to knock Portugal d/t their injury problems, then you have to admit the same about the US.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: July 02, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
I can't cheer for a country where some of the citizenry kills its players when they don't play well....just doesn't seem right. 

His shooting and the own goal were not correlated at all. My grandpa, uncles, aunts etc. who all still live there never let me forget that often misunderstood fact. Watch the 30 for 30 on that team. Plus Colombia is completely different than it was 20 years ago.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1119 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »

Golden, it sounds like you are upset with me, no need to beat about the bush. 

I believe I clearly said we have made progress.  Sultan points it out as well.  I haven't said differently.  I believe the difference between where I'm at and where some of you are at is where we are today.  We are better than we were 25 years ago, better than 10 years ago, better than 4 years ago.  Absolutely.  That doesn't mean we have gotten there yet, but some of you (I'll come out and say it...you, Henry, others) in my opinion are putting us at a level based on your heart, optimism, and near misses and not on reality.  For that, you seem to be upset about it.

Do you not agree that the best athletes in this country still play other sports?  Hopefully that continues to change.  Maybe with some mommies protecting kids from playing football, more will play soccer...perhaps a benefit there.  Our athleticism has gotten much better, but that is going to be an uphill climb for some time to be where it needs to be.

So please, with all due respect, don't paint me or someone else as negative toward the team.  There is a difference between negativity and reality, and when one's heart is in it I think folks don't recognize it and reflexively go into anyone that lays out valid reasons of weakness of the team, they are somehow negative.  I was thrilled with the journey and most of the play.  BUT, as teams progress and get better, the expectations go up.  Seems you may want it both ways.  If we are going to be at the level some of you  think we are at or knocking the door to become, then the expectations, criticism, etc will follow.  They are attached at the hip.

As for the 22 minute comment, I disagree.  This is a team sport, which of course can be dominated to some extent by people like Messi, etc.  Altidore is not at that level.  Good player, wish we had someone on the team that could have stepped in, but the staff chose to leave that barren and got burned by it.  The team did well, never quit, had moments of wonderful play, gritty as hell, but the eyeballs in my head clearly don't deceive me....we have a considerable ways to go despite all the progress of the last 25 years.  The next step is a big step.  Feel free to disagree, or call it negative...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1120 on: July 02, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »

Exactly.

**25 years ago we had to beat Trinidad & Tobago just to get to the Finals.

**16 years ago we had a disaster of a performance finishing dead last in a group and losing to the likes of Iran.

**And now we have been to the knock out round in two consecutive Cups.  (One of only 8 squads to do so.)  

Slow and steady progress.  Furthermore you see what Klinnsman is trying to do.  He is demanding a type of game that the US hasn't played before.  One that can lead to future success where a semifinal appearance is the next step we take.

Just because we are big and rich doesn't mean we can overcome a weak history and decades removed from the soccer networks in Europe.  (If you read Soccernomics you know what I mean.)  You have to build it brick by brick.

Do not disagree with this at all.  My point is the next step is a really big one.  In the meantime, you keep building brick by brick, get better athletes committed to the game, etc.  That next step is big, it is also really difficult.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: July 02, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »
Speaking of getting better athletes in our talent pool, Yedlin earned himself a boatload of money this cup.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:21:26 AM by jesmu84 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1122 on: July 02, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
Let's not forget, the "Group of Death" was a moniker put on by the pundits BEFORE the tournament.  The media ran with it.  It was based on rankings and other things, though even before the tournament started it lost that title, but hasn't stopped people from saying it at every turn. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/04/14/group-g-no-longer-the-group-of-death

Others have labeled the actual Group of Death to be group D

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-351502-costa-rica-ready-for-greece-after-surviving-group-of-death.html

Others have said group B.

http://www.businessinsider.com/group-of-death-2014-6

At the end of the day, impossible to know.  The ratings system is not great, to put it mildly.  Not every team plays everyone else, plus no one team is the same from match to match and certainly not year to year due to contractual commitments, etc of individual players.

USA soccer did quite well, but the Group of Death thing is a bit overblown. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1123 on: July 02, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
I believe I clearly said we have made progress.  Sultan points it out as well.  I haven't said differently.  I believe the difference between where I'm at and where some of you are at is where we are today.  We are better than we were 25 years ago, better than 10 years ago, better than 4 years ago.  Absolutely.  That doesn't mean we have gotten there yet, but some of you (I'll come out and say it...you, Henry, others) in my opinion are putting us at a level based on your heart, optimism, and near misses and not on reality.  For that, you seem to be upset about it.

You misinterpret my position.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: July 02, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Our group was the group of death. Don't care who said it or when. All 4 teams would have made other groups tougher.

feedback