[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802393 times)

BallBoy

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4650 on: November 13, 2023, 12:52:42 PM »
I would say no team won the decade, for the third time now.  There were incredible levels of parity with no winner.

You can't say it can you?  La Liga won nearly half of the UCLs.  Was in 5 of them.  Have a record of 4-2 in UCL finals with one of those losses coming from another La Liga team.  Was in the semis all but 2 years. 

90s was parity. 2000s was won by La Liga.

I also just looked it up.  What you called dominating by England in 2020s is what La Liga did exactly from 2000-2002. 

There is no argument which can be made it was England so La Liga has had two better decades than your EPL.  11 of 25 UCLs.  Case closed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4651 on: November 13, 2023, 01:01:17 PM »
I said England's domination started in 2018, not everything runs exactly on the decade lines, but since you don't even know where you're getting you own clubs players from, I wouldn't expect you to have any reading comprehension either.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4652 on: November 13, 2023, 01:07:16 PM »
Yea if you don't know what players play in what league, you're going to have a real tough time convincing people that you have any idea what you're talking about.  I'm going to take double down on blind La Liga homerism for 100 next.

Sorry, coming from a guy who hasn't yet been able to argue a single relevant fact that shows the EPL is better in any way yet still says it is.  You argument was been whittled done to a three year period.

I equated him with the English national team to the EPL but forgot he was in the EFL before going to Dortmond.  Next time.  Point holds true.  Anyone with a whiff of English soccer is a god in your eyes. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4653 on: November 13, 2023, 01:15:55 PM »
I said England's domination started in 2018, not everything runs exactly on the decade lines, but since you don't even know where you're getting you own clubs players from, I wouldn't expect you to have any reading comprehension either.

Right, the year they lost to Real embarrassingly in the UCL so badly their goalie probably never played a game again.  I didn't fact check that. 

Let's move the goalpost then, Real also won the UCL in 98 so three in six years.  5 in 12.  Surprisingly the exact same "dominance" England has had. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4654 on: November 13, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »
I equated him with the English national team to the EPL but forgot he was in the EFL before going to Dortmond.  Next time.  Point holds true.  Anyone with a whiff of English soccer is a god in your eyes.

The most expensive transfer in Real Madrid history and you're glossing over Bellingham as "whoops I forgot he never played in the EPL" and thinking the only reason people are high on him is because he's English?  This is next level Real Madrid arrogance.  Dude was a HUGE signing, in both buzz and dollars, and has set the world on fire, yet you're acting like he's not good enough to be considered a marquee Real signing and a "wash" with a 38 year old aging midfielder who is going to a retirement league.  Good lord

Rotterdam FC
Saudis own Man City
EPL star Jude Bellingham
Liverpool fans famously known for schedule complaints (ive been an LFC supporter for 20 years and this is literally the first time Ive heard this as a common trait of Liverpool supporters)

Yet you want to lecture everyone that you know more than any of them about European soccer.  Your blatant La Liga bias and specialized knowledge is showing more with every post

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4655 on: November 13, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »
Sorry, coming from a guy who hasn't yet been able to argue a single relevant fact that shows the EPL is better in any way yet still says it is.  You argument was been whittled done to a three year period.

Keep shifting the goalposts and you might eventually stumble on something that supports your homerism narrative.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4656 on: November 13, 2023, 01:42:53 PM »
Also, for the record, I could not possibly care less if someone didn’t think the EPL was the best league in the world.  Sure I love Liverpool but I don’t need to go to war for other clubs just cause they play in the same league

But implying that the only reason that someone could think so is due to some blind English bias while exhibiting aggressive bias of their own is just absurd

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4657 on: November 13, 2023, 02:23:01 PM »
The most expensive transfer in Real Madrid history and you're glossing over Bellingham as "whoops I forgot he never played in the EPL" and thinking the only reason people are high on him is because he's English?  This is next level Real Madrid arrogance.  Dude was a HUGE signing, in both buzz and dollars, and has set the world on fire, yet you're acting like he's not good enough to be considered a marquee Real signing and a "wash" with a 38 year old aging midfielder who is going to a retirement league.  Good lord

Rotterdam FC
Saudis own Man City
EPL star Jude Bellingham
Liverpool fans famously known for schedule complaints (ive been an LFC supporter for 20 years and this is literally the first time Ive heard this as a common trait of Liverpool supporters)

Yet you want to lecture everyone that you know more than any of them about European soccer.  Your blatant La Liga bias and specialized knowledge is showing more with every post

Seriously.  I said Rotterdam instead of Feyenoord when listing off who I thought would win in 20seconds.  Which you guys haven't even attempted to do and that is what you got.  I am so sorry.  I thought you could look at the table and figure it out.  I didn't call it Rotterdam FC. 

I am sure that you went a looked it up right away to figure out the ownership structure.  Probably didn't even know it.  Sorry that I got my EPL to country ownership wrong as Newcastle was the Saudi owned and City was Abu Dabhi owned group.  It is really hard to keep track of who is buying who in the EPL.  Super-critical detail in the overall statement other than it gave you a meaningless argument.

Maybe you should venture out of the EPL circles and you can hear how other leagues operate and why the schedule was uniquely a Liverpool story.  or maybe just ask. 

I might have been off in a few details but at the end I was the only one who provided anything outside of name calling and "but its the best."

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4658 on: November 13, 2023, 02:26:30 PM »

But you did.  The moment someone said the EPL is overrated because of their own hype.  You went out to defend but haven't given a single piece of any evidence other than but the last few years. I gave you in the my first statement.

You have probably never watched a La Liga game.  Even an el classico.  ever.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4659 on: November 13, 2023, 02:32:06 PM »
Seriously.  I said Rotterdam instead of Feyenoord when listing off who I thought would win in 20seconds.  Which you guys haven't even attempted to do and that is what you got.  I am so sorry.  I thought you could look at the table and figure it out.  I didn't call it Rotterdam FC. 

I am sure that you went a looked it up right away to figure out the ownership structure.  Probably didn't even know it.  Sorry that I got my EPL to country ownership wrong as Newcastle was the Saudi owned and City was Abu Dabhi owned group.  It is really hard to keep track of who is buying who in the EPL.  Super-critical detail in the overall statement other than it gave you a meaningless argument.

Maybe you should venture out of the EPL circles and you can hear how other leagues operate and why the schedule was uniquely a Liverpool story.  or maybe just ask. 

I might have been off in a few details but at the end I was the only one who provided anything outside of name calling and "but its the best."

I’ve been calling Everton “Liverpool” for years. I’m starting to understand why people are confused…

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4660 on: November 13, 2023, 02:32:52 PM »

Rotterdam FC
Saudis own Man City
EPL star Jude Bellingham

And by the way, he wasn't the most expense transfer in Real Madrid history.  You are so wrong.  no clue.  you have no knowledge of nothing. 

For the record, he was number 2 after the aforementioned Hazard. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4661 on: November 13, 2023, 02:40:03 PM »
But you did.  The moment someone said the EPL is overrated because of their own hype.  You went out to defend but haven't given a single piece of any evidence other than but the last few years. I gave you in the my first statement.

You have probably never watched a La Liga game.  Even an el classico.  ever.

Because the last few years is the only time the Prem's been the dominant league in my lifetime.

I'll say it again although you'll probably ignore it again. The 2000s up until 2008 was a wash. When you have a 5 year stretch where 5 different countries win, no country "wins" the stretch as a whole, and no country certainly dominates it.

2008-2018, the end of the three peat was all La Liga.  Since then, England has won three titles and no other country even has 2 appearances in a title match.  So from the start of the 2018-19 season until current day, England has dominated.  Just because these timelines don't line up exactly with decade markers does not make them any less relevant.

I love watching La Liga, I'll admit that I don't watch it as much as the Prem, but I certainly watch it.  Maybe if you would remove your head from Florentino Perez's @$$, you could appreciate the sport outside of one country too. 

P.S. Perez is the president of your club, just want to make sure you're up to speed on who's who.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 02:51:16 PM by Its DJOver »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4662 on: November 13, 2023, 03:00:29 PM »
And by the way, he wasn't the most expense transfer in Real Madrid history.  You are so wrong.  no clue.  you have no knowledge of nothing. 

For the record, he was number 2 after the aforementioned Hazard.

Someone getting a bit fiesty?  I have no knowledge of nothing?   ;D

Hazard:  €100MM plus add ons
Bellingham: €103MM plus add ons

Seeing as Bellingham's add ons have not been triggered as he's barely started his time in Madrid and Hazard's full add ons paid is murky, I'm speaking to base fees, which unless my English bias is clouding my understanding, 103 is larger than 100.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4663 on: November 13, 2023, 03:16:56 PM »
Someone getting a bit fiesty?  I have no knowledge of nothing?   ;D

Hazard:  €100MM plus add ons
Bellingham: €103MM plus add ons

Seeing as Bellingham's add ons have not been triggered as he's barely started his time in Madrid and Hazard's full add ons paid is murky, I'm speaking to base fees, which unless my English bias is clouding my understanding, 103 is larger than 100.

Read the footnotes of the deals.  Hazard had a lower initial fee but a higher upside.  Jude had a higher initial but lower upside.  Currently, Hazard still stands as the most expensive transfer. 

Two can play the game with irrelevant facts and I haven't even brought up Time Value of Money.  Haaland will get the record next year. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 03:42:56 PM by BallBoy »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4664 on: November 13, 2023, 09:29:39 PM »
Just checked current ‘24 ballon d’or odds. Jude Bellingham odds on favorite. Not bad for an unheralded signing. Maybe he will finally be considered a superstar with his name just beginning to pop up in these types of conversations.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4665 on: November 13, 2023, 10:41:23 PM »
Just checked current ‘24 ballon d’or odds. Jude Bellingham odds on favorite. Not bad for an unheralded signing. Maybe he will finally be considered a superstar with his name just beginning to pop up in these types of conversations.

You kind of represent everything that’s wrong with the internet.  I wrote up my entire breakdown of my picks for the UCL. You provide no insight, no opinion of your own, put nothing out there and you sit on the sidelines taking pop shots at meaningless things. The only thought you could muster was “I am confused when you said Rotterdam” when anyone with half a brain knew.

Without providing any insight or measure-able unit to support that Jude is a, not just going to be a, superstar, you again throw out zero value. Did I say he wasn’t a good signing?  Nope but Real didn’t get him because he is a superstar but they project him to become one, as did many clubs, and he is only 20. if you look at his agreement his yearly salary doesn’t make him highest paid player on the team for several years.  He is there to replace Modric whose career has put him in the superstar ranks as a Ballon winner not an early season favorite in Vegas.  I wouldn’t take that bet. Haaland got screwed last year so if he does 2/3rds of what he did he will win. 

I don't throw out superstar lightly.  Superstars are once in a generational player.  Messi, CR7, Ronaldo, Zidane, Henry are just samples of superstars in a world of stars.  Haaland & Mbappe look a level above the rest right now. There are lots of stars that never make it, are injured their whole career, etc.  If you haven't won a title, you aren't in the superstar conversation.  I don't see Tchouaméni as a superstar now and he was number 4 on highest transfer on Real's list at 80M and was highly sought after by Liverpool.  He is a great replacement, when healthy, for replacing Casemiro who they transferred to Man U for 70M. 

Even Wags and Over though throwing out insults and least stepped out on a limb to provide any sort of opinion, insight, or validation of their opinion.

you are the scoop version of the Harvard guy from Good Will Hunting.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 12:25:59 AM by BallBoy »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4666 on: November 14, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
The lengths you’re going to try and convince us one of the best midfielders in the world playing for one of the best teams in the world isn’t a superstar is comical.

Madrid signed him not because he’s some uncovered gem. They signed him because they believed he was the best young midfielder in the world. Since signing, he’s proven that and more which is supported by all of the books picking him as a favorite for next seasons ballon d’or.

You’ve been proven wrong multiple times all while ignoring the facts I’ve presented since our first interaction.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4667 on: November 14, 2023, 02:03:11 PM »
The lengths you’re going to try and convince us one of the best midfielders in the world playing for one of the best teams in the world isn’t a superstar is comical.

Madrid signed him not because he’s some uncovered gem. They signed him because they believed he was the best young midfielder in the world. Since signing, he’s proven that and more which is supported by all of the books picking him as a favorite for next seasons ballon d’or.

You’ve been proven wrong multiple times all while ignoring the facts I’ve presented since our first interaction.
The two facts your provided:
1. Rotterdam
2.  Man U hasn't qualified for the UCL in ages.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4668 on: November 14, 2023, 02:48:20 PM »
The two facts your provided:
1. Rotterdam
2.  Man U hasn't qualified for the UCL in ages.

Man city ownership group incorrect
What team Jude came from
Crowing about foreign owners in the premier league while bragging about how Girona is topping La Liga.
Liverpool fans complaining about how many games they play ??

Comedy of errors from start to finish for you buddy

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4669 on: November 14, 2023, 04:28:44 PM »
Man city ownership group incorrect
What team Jude came from
Crowing about foreign owners in the premier league while bragging about how Girona is topping La Liga.
Liverpool fans complaining about how many games they play ??

Comedy of errors from start to finish for you buddy

Man city ownership group incorrect  -->irrelevant, minute detail and literally impacts nothing. 

What team Jude came from -->you got me

Crowing about foreign owners in the premier league while bragging about how Girona is topping La Liga.-->I wasn't bragging about Girona on the top of the table.  I pointed out the similarities of a small team with limited funding making a run to the top of the league table to Leicester.  Someone else said that was 100% based on their relationship with Man City.  Girona hasn't seen the large influx of cash nor some relationship from Man City that is driving players their way and their success.  But yeah, I won't respect them as much as the self-funding teams who managed to compete year over year.

BTW Pep's brother isn't the sporting director but good try. 

Liverpool fans complaining about how many games they play ??  -->

Google search Jorgen Klopp (he's is the coach so assume he is a fan) schedule. 

Google Klopp's guidance to Pep coming to EPL

You get the occasional EPL coach complaining about a stretch or what happened in COVID year.  But what you guys talk about has been a fairly unique problem to Liverpool.  Of which Klopp has been pretty vocal.

There is only one other team that has brought that up...Man City this year after a world cup.  Sad part is you don't even understand why they even talk about it or why it has been a fairly unique problem to Liverpool.  I think at one point the FA Cup Replays were thrown out.  And guess what since Man City was an irrelevant team who got foreign funding to buy championships no one is a real fan so the only team is Liverpool. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4670 on: November 14, 2023, 05:42:17 PM »
  And guess what since Man City was an irrelevant team who got foreign funding to buy championships no one is a real fan so the only team is Liverpool.

You expect anyone to take you seriously with this sort of arrogant completely incorrect elitist BS.  Classic coming from someone who roots for the Yankees of European football. But im sure all those TRUE American supporters of Los Merengues would stick around if they had issues and ended up with results like Rayo Vallecano. It’s just true passion that supporters of a club like Man City, that clearly played in near empty stadiums before their Saudi investment came in, would never know

panda

• All American
« Reply #4671 on: November 15, 2023, 09:10:32 PM »
Man city ownership group incorrect  -->irrelevant, minute detail and literally impacts nothing. 

What team Jude came from -->you got me

Crowing about foreign owners in the premier league while bragging about how Girona is topping La Liga.-->I wasn't bragging about Girona on the top of the table.  I pointed out the similarities of a small team with limited funding making a run to the top of the league table to Leicester.  Someone else said that was 100% based on their relationship with Man City.  Girona hasn't seen the large influx of cash nor some relationship from Man City that is driving players their way and their success.  But yeah, I won't respect them as much as the self-funding teams who managed to compete year over year.

BTW Pep's brother isn't the sporting director but good try. 

Liverpool fans complaining about how many games they play ??  -->

Google search Jorgen Klopp (he's is the coach so assume he is a fan) schedule. 

Google Klopp's guidance to Pep coming to EPL

You get the occasional EPL coach complaining about a stretch or what happened in COVID year.  But what you guys talk about has been a fairly unique problem to Liverpool.  Of which Klopp has been pretty vocal.

There is only one other team that has brought that up...Man City this year after a world cup.  Sad part is you don't even understand why they even talk about it or why it has been a fairly unique problem to Liverpool.  I think at one point the FA Cup Replays were thrown out.  And guess what since Man City was an irrelevant team who got foreign funding to buy championships no one is a real fan so the only team is Liverpool.

So are all Liverpool fans saying that? Or just Klopp?

And no he’s not sporting director. He’s the chairman/super agent.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4672 on: November 15, 2023, 09:20:05 PM »
So are all Liverpool fans saying that? Or just Klopp?

And no he’s not sporting director. He’s the chairman/super agent.

You did. As did another Liverpool poster. You seem amazed that people can aligned coach/teams—>fan talking points. 

So you wrong, should I hammer on that for 30 posts or can we agree it’s an irrelevant detail?

panda

• All American
« Reply #4673 on: November 15, 2023, 09:22:46 PM »
You did. As did another Liverpool poster. You seem amazed that people can aligned coach/teams—>fan talking points. 

So you wrong, should I hammer on that for 30 posts or can we agree it’s an irrelevant detail?

You said that it’s a common trope amongst Liverpool fans. I guess I represent the entire fan base lol.

And yes it is true - Teams in England play more games in a shorter amount of time than their counterparts on the continent. That’s not conjecture it’s fact.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4674 on: November 15, 2023, 10:00:22 PM »
You said that it’s a common trope amongst Liverpool fans. I guess I represent the entire fan base lol.

And yes it is true - Teams in England play more games in a shorter amount of time than their counterparts on the continent. That’s not conjecture it’s fact.
I gave you three in three seconds. Do I need to run a poll for you?

From December 2022 to February of 2023 how many games did Liverpool play and how many did Real Madrid play?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 10:11:41 PM by BallBoy »

feedback