[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803002 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4625 on: November 12, 2023, 11:36:18 AM »
Called it. So on brand.

Rich coming from a fan of a club that has nearly nothing in common with the rest of La Liga but flailing to defend La Liga as a support for Real as a whole.

I'm sure this is rooted in some silly idea that Liverpool supporters just hate/are jealous of  Real/La Liga due to Champions League results or something.

You needing to know who he was a fan of gave away much of your argument and impartiality.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4626 on: November 12, 2023, 12:12:18 PM »
Called it. So on brand.

What’s that supposed to mean ?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4627 on: November 12, 2023, 01:55:43 PM »
Rich coming from a fan of a club that has nearly nothing in common with the rest of La Liga but flailing to defend La Liga as a support for Real as a whole.

I'm sure this is rooted in some silly idea that Liverpool supporters just hate/are jealous of  Real/La Liga due to Champions League results or something.

You needing to know who he was a fan of gave away much of your argument and impartiality.

Because every EPL team has their same talking points as why the EPL is better but why it doesn’t show. Liverpool's is the schedule.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4628 on: November 12, 2023, 02:44:44 PM »
Because every EPL team has their same talking points as why the EPL is better but why it doesn’t show. Liverpool's is the schedule.

english teams pack in games in December and early January while the rest of Europe takes time off. That’s reality it’s not a talking point.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4629 on: November 12, 2023, 02:48:23 PM »
I wouldn’t say two full decades. I would say from 2008 when Pep got the full time gig at Barca until 2018 when Madrid finished their three peat, La Liga was head and shoulders better than all the other leagues.

Starting in that 2018 season the Prem has had 7 finalists, with the only reason that they haven’t won more due to the fact that there have been two separate all England finals. La Liga has had 2, and as impressive as their run in 21-22 was, I don’t think that’s even close to one of the best Madrid sides of the last decade. 

Further, I think Athleti made a mistake extending Simeone as I think the game is starting to pass him by and his style will not be as effective in the future and Barca is in a huge financial mess not helped by back to back failures to get out of the group stage. Madrid is set up nicely as Vini is world class and Jude and Camavinga have tons of potential, but overall I would give the Prem a very comfortable edge, and coincidentally the current UEFA coefficient agrees.

You are skipping the start of the galacticos era and three la Liga titles 2000, 2002 and 2006. So they were the dominant league in 2000s and 2010s.

I agree with you on Simone. He has a good stretch but his time has worn thin.
As I mentioned Real is in a transition where they still have Kroos and Modric who are on the downside of their career and haven’t signed a big name superstar.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 02:53:09 PM by BallBoy »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4630 on: November 12, 2023, 02:59:02 PM »
You are skipping the start of the galacticos era and three la Liga titles 2000, 2002 and 2006. So they were the dominant league in 2000s and 2010s.

Nope, I would say that there was no dominant league in the early 2000s. Champions league winners went Spain, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, England, Spain, Italy, England, Spain, Italy. That’s the definition of parity. Also, three league titles in a 6 year stretch really isn’t the domination that you think it was, and Madrid specifically had a three year trophy drought. It wasn’t until Barca became the absolute machine that it was at the end of the decade/early 2010s that one league became clear cut dominant.

Your extreme bias is showing if you think that Spain and/or Madrid specifically dominated the decade.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4631 on: November 12, 2023, 02:59:38 PM »
As I mentioned Real is in a transition where they still have Kroos and Modric who are on the downside of their career and haven’t signed a big name superstar.

Yea they had to settle for bargain bin signings like that pedestrian Bellingham.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4632 on: November 12, 2023, 03:05:13 PM »
Yea they had to settle for bargain bin signings like that pedestrian Bellingham.

Let’s not forget the absolute train wreck that was Hazard after he was supposed to be C7s replacement. But when you’re Real, you can have a 9 figure bust.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4633 on: November 12, 2023, 03:22:42 PM »
I wasn't doubting that they completely changed with the new ownership, but you calling them Saudi was just more you playing fast and loose with incorrect facts.

And you keep scoffing at foreign ownership in the EPL, while Valencia is foreign owned, Atleti is majority foreign owned between Ofer and Ares Management, Girona is City Group, Sevilla is a mess that could very well have 777 Partners go from 15% ownership to much more, and one of its two crown jewels is an unmitigated financial quagmire.

Real honest question, if you remove Barca and Real from La Liga, and then remove Man City and, say Liverpool, from the EPL...do you really think La Liga is a stronger league and the EPL is "overrated"?

The country of the money origin is insignificant because the sentiment holds true.  If it makes you feel better you got me.

It wasn’t just foreign ownership but foreign money. Chelsea has spent $1B on payroll, Liverpool, Arsenal, man city etc are all spending record cash in the last decade. Even Newcastle has gotten an influx of foreign money that has shot them up the table.

In the examples, you provide none of those la Liga teams have gotten nearly the influx of foreign capital yet are still competitive. Girona has a wage bill of $27m this year while Leicester City had $38m the year they made their run.  Their entire club budget is $55M. City Group’s ownership is less than 50% and they haven’t dumped money in like the did City starting in 2011.  Do I think Girona can win La Liga? No but if they did it would be a greater miracle than Leicester City.

I actually don’t want them to win because they can’t sustain their team the following year which means they will go into the UCL and get rolled the following year. 

I want you to refute this. The top four team of the EPL and La Liga play in the UCL and for the last 2 decades La Liga has won more UCLs and the next set plus no group winners play in the Europa Cup. La Liga has won that 12 times in the last 20years. EPL has won it four. So if it is only Real and Barca why haven’t more of the deep, glorious EPL teams won it? None of the 12 times has Real or Barca won it.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4634 on: November 12, 2023, 03:36:47 PM »
Nope, I would say that there was no dominant league in the early 2000s. Champions league winners went Spain, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, England, Spain, Italy, England, Spain, Italy. That’s the definition of parity. Also, three league titles in a 6 year stretch really isn’t the domination that you think it was, and Madrid specifically had a three year trophy drought. It wasn’t until Barca became the absolute machine that it was at the end of the decade/early 2010s that one league became clear cut dominant.

Your extreme bias is showing if you think that Spain and/or Madrid specifically dominated the decade.

You are now just trying too hard. 3 UCLs in 7 years isn’t dominant?  I know you only think think through EPL glasses but Barca was a dominant team before Pep. In the 2000s La Liga won 4 of the 10 UCLs.  Two real and two Barca. Italy and England combined won that many. Italy only won two because the last would have been in the 2010s of which you are already conceding was dominant by la liga
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 03:55:27 PM by BallBoy »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4635 on: November 12, 2023, 03:40:51 PM »

Jude is barely in to top 20 if we go by your  logic.

Hazard was an injury train wreck and drag on Real but Chelsea’s payroll is a bigger bust

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4636 on: November 12, 2023, 03:45:13 PM »
You are now just trying too hard. 3 UCLs in 7 years isn’t dominant?  I know you only think think through EPL glasses but Barca was a dominant team before Pep. In the 2000s La Liga won 4 of the 10 UCLs.  Two real and two Barca. Italy and England combined won that many. Italy only won too because the last would have been in the 2010s of which you are already conceding was dominant by la liga

Three year stretch where the country doesn’t even make a final including one where no one even made a quarterfinal cannot be called a “dominant” run.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4637 on: November 12, 2023, 03:53:36 PM »
Three year stretch where the country doesn’t even make a final including one where no one even made a quarterfinal cannot be called a “dominant” run.

I see so you can’t be the dominant league in the first third and the last third and still be the best league of that decade. If you had to pick just one league to have won that decade who would it be?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4638 on: November 12, 2023, 04:01:42 PM »
I see so you can’t be the dominant league in the first third and the last third and still be the best league of that decade. If you had to pick just one league to have won that decade who would it be?

As I said, I don’t think any league was “dominant”. “Dominant” is what Barca/Real did in the 2010 and what England has done thus far in the 2020s. We went an entire decade without a country repeating. Spain won 5 straight in the 2010s. An English team has made 5 of 6 straight finals including two years that were all English. Those are “dominant” runs. The 2000s were not dominated by any country, you’re asking a question that doesn’t have an answer.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4639 on: November 13, 2023, 08:18:25 AM »

Wait until he hears about the young upstart Norwegian striker city signed last year. I think he may be a decent signing !

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4640 on: November 13, 2023, 10:37:23 AM »
The best league in the world discussion is always fun because it's based entirely on vibes no matter the stats presented and it's a never ending circle of "yeah, but......". Anyway, it's not England.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4641 on: November 13, 2023, 11:18:16 AM »
Wait until he hears about the young upstart Norwegian striker city signed last year. I think he may be a decent signing !

You mean the guy who supposedly has a release clause specific to Real Madrid? and over the last several days has been reported as being executed next summer?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4642 on: November 13, 2023, 11:24:56 AM »
As I said, I don’t think any league was “dominant”. “Dominant” is what Barca/Real did in the 2010 and what England has done thus far in the 2020s. We went an entire decade without a country repeating. Spain won 5 straight in the 2010s. An English team has made 5 of 6 straight finals including two years that were all English. Those are “dominant” runs. The 2000s were not dominated by any country, you’re asking a question that doesn’t have an answer.

I didn't ask who dominated the second time.  I asked if you could only pick one league as the winner of that decade who would it be? 

panda

• All American
« Reply #4643 on: November 13, 2023, 11:30:18 AM »
You mean the guy who supposedly has a release clause specific to Real Madrid? and over the last several days has been reported as being executed next summer?

I’m making fun of you ignoring the bellingham signing as “not a superstar” acquisition.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4644 on: November 13, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »
Also, not a single person here has shaded or discounted Real Madrid.  They are a monster club, with monster results, who have deserved all praise and accolades.  But a club doesn’t a deep league make.

I think the EPL is the deepest and toughest league in the world, for a variety of reasons including money that buoys many teams, weather, and scheduling.  Best league? It’s subjective but the answer is pretty obviously MLS

panda

• All American
« Reply #4645 on: November 13, 2023, 12:01:58 PM »
Also, not a single person here has shaded or discounted Real Madrid.  They are a monster club, with monster results, who have deserved all praise and accolades.  But a club doesn’t a deep league make.

I think the EPL is the deepest and toughest league in the world, for a variety of reasons including money that buoys many teams, weather, and scheduling.  Best league? It’s subjective but the answer is pretty obviously MLS

Many people are asking where Messi would be without inter Miami building his career.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4646 on: November 13, 2023, 12:04:29 PM »
I didn't ask who dominated the second time.  I asked if you could only pick one league as the winner of that decade who would it be?

I would say no team won the decade, for the third time now.  There were incredible levels of parity with no winner.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4647 on: November 13, 2023, 12:43:00 PM »
I’m making fun of you ignoring the bellingham signing as “not a superstar” acquisition.

I know you are an EPL guy, who thinks everyone who plays/played for an EPL team is a superstar but it is arguable that Jude isn't even the best player on his team or even the EPL before he left.  Haaland, Mbappe from a signings perspective are both on another level.   

If you were to look outside of the EPL and review Real Madrid's team they are going to lose Modric, Kroos in the next two years max.  Jude was brought in to replace Modric which is arguably a wash.  They haven't replaced Benzema yet and have been playing a platoon of Rodrygo and Joselu.  Neither of whom have shown they are the answer.  As I mentioned, Real is in a transition where they have been slowing replacing the older players who drove their success in 2010s with the next wave. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #4648 on: November 13, 2023, 12:45:13 PM »
I know you are an EPL guy, who thinks everyone who plays/played for an EPL team is a superstar but it is arguable that Jude isn't even the best player on his team or even the EPL before he left.  Haaland, Mbappe from a signings perspective are both on another level.   

If you were to look outside of the EPL and review Real Madrid's team they are going to lose Modric, Kroos in the next two years max.  Jude was brought in to replace Modric which is arguably a wash.  They haven't replaced Benzema yet and have been playing a platoon of Rodrygo and Joselu.  Neither of whom have shown they are the answer.  As I mentioned, Real is in a transition where they have been slowing replacing the older players who drove their success in 2010s with the next wave.

Jude never played in the prem

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4649 on: November 13, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »
Yea if you don't know what players play in what league, you're going to have a real tough time convincing people that you have any idea what you're talking about.  I'm going to take double down on blind La Liga homerism for 100 next.