collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802055 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4575 on: October 22, 2023, 08:39:23 PM »
Yep, mention two incidents from two games to show evidence that sometimes calls go in your favor and sometimes they don’t. Evidence to support the idea that over 38 games things largely even out. Was not implying that the overall effect on the individual games was identical for both the Diaz incident and the Konate incident.

I take it you’re a scouser and and just view everything through your red tinted glasses?

I’m American not scouse and anyone with half a brain cell can differentiate between the diaz disallowed goal/audio release and any of the other countless controversial var/refereeing decisions.

I do agree with your original point that a marginal decision not going your way over a 38 game season evens out, but for a title contender (Liverpool not spurs) to drop points due to gross refereeing incompenentcy when city also lost is absolutely massive and a completely different situation than what you’re alluding to.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 08:41:23 PM by panda »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4576 on: October 23, 2023, 10:03:09 AM »
Such as? Not necessarily doubting you, I just can’t think of any examples.

Alternate, non-VAR tables have been run through sites like ESPN, english newspapers, FourFourTwo, Sqawka, et al these last few seasons.

Think one of the more famous examples was two (three?) years ago when Arsenal finished fifth and missed Champions League but without VAR mistakes would have finished fourth.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4577 on: October 23, 2023, 10:19:32 AM »
Alternate, non-VAR tables have been run through sites like ESPN, english newspapers, FourFourTwo, Sqawka, et al these last few seasons.

Think one of the more famous examples was two (three?) years ago when Arsenal finished fifth and missed Champions League but without VAR mistakes would have finished fourth.

Are they VAR mistake tables or tables if VAR didn’t exist? Because I’ve seen the latter but never the former. And VAR undoubtedly had a rough roll out between unclear handball rules and unclear direction on where offsides lines should be drawn, but I would not classify those as VAR mistakes. VAR mistakes, where pgmol has made a statement that a mistake actually took place (such as the Liverpool Diaz incident) have been few and far between, and to the best of my knowledge never effected a final table.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4578 on: October 23, 2023, 02:14:17 PM »
Finalist names for the Milwaukee USL team

https://t.co/mkopUVTtF8

If it was a standard American sports team naming, Milwaukee Barons is amazing.

But otherwise, Cream City FC/SC is sick

Here I found a post for the engagement you sought and mentioned in the other thread.

Since it’s the USL, I would say a fun and irreverent name is just fine. MLS is different as the marketing of one’s
city ends up having most teams named something like Milwaukee FC or SC. And then what happens are organic nicknames develop locally in various markets.

Your favorite St. Louis for example, is named St. Louis City SC for 2 reasons, marketing purposes vs say Mound City (Cahokia Mounds) SC. And it’s a reference to the governmental city/county divide. It’s very pro city.

Anyway, they still have other nicknames such as Ravioli Boyz or Hellcats for various reasons.

I would agree that Cream City is a good choice. See there’s engagement.

While I enjoy the top few Euro Men’s leagues and U.S. National Team, my soccer interests also include Men and Women’s College Soccer, MLS, NWSL, youth soccer etc….and this thread seems to be mostly the former. So some of my posts or interests may not receive interest or engagement, and that’s just fine.

Are you surprised that it’s taking Marquette Women’s Soccer 4 seasons of little improvement under Frank P’s return? Or is it about what you expected?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 02:23:44 PM by shoothoops »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4579 on: October 23, 2023, 09:49:59 PM »

Agree on both, also like Lake Effect (unique) and 1846.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4580 on: October 24, 2023, 08:35:41 PM »

I’ll be happy as long as they don’t land on FC or Real. Cornball stuff

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4581 on: October 29, 2023, 06:35:49 PM »
Nice that the USWNT could get so many minutes and a goal from their teenagers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4582 on: October 29, 2023, 07:29:14 PM »
Nice that the USWNT could get so many minutes and a goal from their teenagers.

Nice set piece finish from former UCLA Bruin Mia Fishel in her San Diego home town. A bit physical and chippy early, but it was fun game.

Good for Jaedyn Shaw a 2023 player of FC Dallas and Solar, two national powers, that was initially a UNC commit but is one of a small group of players annually going pro instead. Nice play from Thompson, pressure, turnover, transition.

There are 3 in 2024 class and 3 in 2025 class. Another recent trend is for a few players to reclassify and skip a year of high school. A few USYNT players are doing this. Kennedy Fuller, Grace Restovich etc…I would expect Alex Pfeiffer the top player in 2026 to at minimum reclassify to 2025. I think she’ll go pro. Otherwise it will be one of the top few ACC or Pac 12 schools.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4583 on: October 29, 2023, 08:09:18 PM »
Nice set piece finish from former UCLA Bruin Mia Fishel in her San Diego home town. A bit physical and chippy early, but it was fun game.

Good for Jaedyn Shaw a 2023 player of FC Dallas and Solar, two national powers, that was initially a UNC commit but is one of a small group of players annually going pro instead. Nice play from Thompson, pressure, turnover, transition.

There are 3 in 2024 class and 3 in 2025 class. Another recent trend is for a few players to reclassify and skip a year of high school. A few USYNT players are doing this. Kennedy Fuller, Grace Restovich etc…I would expect Alex Pfeiffer the top player in 2026 to at minimum reclassify to 2025. I think she’ll go pro. Otherwise it will be one of the top few ACC or Pac 12 schools.

There’s a thread for college soccer. And it ain’t here pal.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4584 on: October 30, 2023, 04:40:29 PM »

Alex Pfeiffer is off of the board. She signed a 3 year deal with KC Current. She’s 15 and the top player in the 2026 class.

https://theathletic.com/5013351/2023/10/30/kc-current-alex-pfeiffer/?source=user_shared_article

https://www.kansascitycurrent.com/news/kansas-city-current-sign-us-womens-youth-national-team-forwa

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4585 on: October 31, 2023, 03:03:55 PM »
Boooooo

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
🚨🌏 OFFICIAL: World Cup 2034 will be hosted by Saudi Arabia, as president Gianni Infantino has confirmed. 🇸🇦
“Football unites the world like no other sport, World Cup is perfect showcase for a message of unity and inclusion”.
“Different cultures can be together”.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4586 on: October 31, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »
Boooooo

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
🚨🌏 OFFICIAL: World Cup 2034 will be hosted by Saudi Arabia, as president Gianni Infantino has confirmed. 🇸🇦
“Football unites the world like no other sport, World Cup is perfect showcase for a message of unity and inclusion”.
“Different cultures can be together”.

And the beheadings will continue until morale improves.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4587 on: October 31, 2023, 03:45:35 PM »
Hilarious FIFA forced those south american countries to "host" a couple games, making them ineligible to bid for this one. Prime time corruption

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #4588 on: October 31, 2023, 04:44:27 PM »
Also I like how the the other two cups have multiple countries, and then just Saudi Arabia reps all of Asia on this one.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4589 on: November 04, 2023, 10:47:42 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4590 on: November 05, 2023, 09:31:23 AM »
Seems a solid hire.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38814932/chelsea-manager-hayes-leave-club-end-season

Yep. She doesn’t have a set preferred style of play/formations etc…can be defense first at times. Very pragmatic even within games. She’s coached 3 current American National Team players, and she has coached against several others. She has experience with multiple U.S. professional leagues as well as American College Soccer (as does the England Women’s Coach). So she understands the mix and variety of the landscape. Respected, and media friendly. More Super League and FA Cup success, less Champions League.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4591 on: November 05, 2023, 11:47:09 AM »
Seems a solid hire.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38814932/chelsea-manager-hayes-leave-club-end-season

I heard Berhalter was seriously considered but USSF was a bit too concerned about upsetting the apple cart. They also didn’t want to begin a new search for a men’s coach.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4592 on: November 10, 2023, 11:11:38 AM »
Calling feyenoord rotterdam is something I’ve never heard before. Not sure if the United takes are true. I don’t think they’ve qualified for champions league in a long time much less made it out of their group. The prem overrated is also an interesting take…

Otherwise feel free to drop by the superbar !

I know how to spell Rotterdam I don't know how to spell feyenoord and I am too lazy to spell out Feyenoord Rotterdam. 

Man U has qualified in 5 out of the last 7 years.
Man United did not qualify last year but did the year before.  Were in a fairly weak Group and made it through to lose to Atleti in R16. 
They also qualified in 20-21 but lost in a Group Stage.
In 18-19, they also qualified and squeaked passed Valencia to beat PSG in R16 and lose to Barca. 
In 17-18 were in a relatively weak group and then lost to Sevilla in R16.
This has been a rough stretch for Man U and the Glazer family is hated but they have made the UCL quite frequently. 

I say the EPL is overrated because that is the only league most people know and they think it is the marquee league when results say otherwise compared to La Liga.  Though Real has won more UCLs in the last decade than all but 3 other teams have in their history, it hasn't just been Real and Barca.  Sevilla has a great run in the Europa League.  Atleti has had success. 

EPL has had success in the last 5 years but a lot of that is foreign money.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4593 on: November 10, 2023, 02:35:11 PM »
I know how to spell Rotterdam I don't know how to spell feyenoord and I am too lazy to spell out Feyenoord Rotterdam. 

Man U has qualified in 5 out of the last 7 years.
Man United did not qualify last year but did the year before.  Were in a fairly weak Group and made it through to lose to Atleti in R16. 
They also qualified in 20-21 but lost in a Group Stage.
In 18-19, they also qualified and squeaked passed Valencia to beat PSG in R16 and lose to Barca. 
In 17-18 were in a relatively weak group and then lost to Sevilla in R16.
This has been a rough stretch for Man U and the Glazer family is hated but they have made the UCL quite frequently. 

I say the EPL is overrated because that is the only league most people know and they think it is the marquee league when results say otherwise compared to La Liga.  Though Real has won more UCLs in the last decade than all but 3 other teams have in their history, it hasn't just been Real and Barca.  Sevilla has a great run in the Europa League.  Atleti has had success. 

EPL has had success in the last 5 years but a lot of that is foreign money.

Fair play to United. Recency bias, but I didn’t think they were consistently competing in the top 4.

However, I strongly disagree the prem is overrated. The fixture congestion makes it very difficult for the top teams to compete in Europe. While the rest of Europe is taking some sort of a break around Christmas/New Years, the prem is cooking. FA cup, boxing day league games followed quickly by more league games. No rest for the weary. Also the mid to lower table teams are significantly more competitive in the prem than other countries, because of league TV money deals which are massively higher than anywhere else in the world.

Madrid’s success in Europe simply means they’re a great club. It doesn’t necessarily reflect on La Liga making them the best league in the world.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4594 on: November 11, 2023, 10:49:20 AM »
Fair play to United. Recency bias, but I didn’t think they were consistently competing in the top 4.

However, I strongly disagree the prem is overrated. The fixture congestion makes it very difficult for the top teams to compete in Europe. While the rest of Europe is taking some sort of a break around Christmas/New Years, the prem is cooking. FA cup, boxing day league games followed quickly by more league games. No rest for the weary. Also the mid to lower table teams are significantly more competitive in the prem than other countries, because of league TV money deals which are massively higher than anywhere else in the world.

Madrid’s success in Europe simply means they’re a great club. It doesn’t necessarily reflect on La Liga making them the best league in the world.

The leagues all pretty much play the same number of games and tournaments. La Liga is equivalent to EPL. Same number of teams same format. FA cup is equivalent to the Copa Del Rey.  To say the reason England hasn’t performed as well in the UCL is due to the fixture setup is a cop out.

I said it wasn’t just Real. Go and look at results from 2010 in the semis, finals and Champions in the UCL which Liga has the most teams involved and champions. Next go to the Europa League and do the same thing.

In that period, 7 Champions league titles and 8 Europa League Titles. With a stretch of 5 straight and in 4 out of those 5 years Spain won both competitions.  The teams with the most titles in both UCL and Europa are Spanish teams. So the top 1-4 teams of La Liga are winning the top competition and the 5-7 teams in the table are winning that levels tournament as well.

People only know Real and Barca but don’t  know Atleti, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Sociedad, Villarreal.

If this year’s group stage plays out based on the current standing, the knockout stage will have 4 Liga teams. EPL would have 2. Man U could still get in with two games left and some La Liga teams could drop off so grain of salt.

I am going to wager you are a Liverpool guy

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4595 on: November 11, 2023, 05:41:53 PM »
The leagues all pretty much play the same number of games and tournaments. La Liga is equivalent to EPL. Same number of teams same format. FA cup is equivalent to the Copa Del Rey.  To say the reason England hasn’t performed as well in the UCL is due to the fixture setup is a cop out.

I said it wasn’t just Real. Go and look at results from 2010 in the semis, finals and Champions in the UCL which Liga has the most teams involved and champions. Next go to the Europa League and do the same thing.

In that period, 7 Champions league titles and 8 Europa League Titles. With a stretch of 5 straight and in 4 out of those 5 years Spain won both competitions.  The teams with the most titles in both UCL and Europa are Spanish teams. So the top 1-4 teams of La Liga are winning the top competition and the 5-7 teams in the table are winning that levels tournament as well.

People only know Real and Barca but don’t  know Atleti, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Sociedad, Villarreal.

If this year’s group stage plays out based on the current standing, the knockout stage will have 4 Liga teams. EPL would have 2. Man U could still get in with two games left and some La Liga teams could drop off so grain of salt.

I am going to wager you are a Liverpool guy

In the last 5 years, the EPL has had 5 teams make the knockouts, it will be 6 when Arsenal qualifies this year.  This is also the second time in 8 years that the EPL didn’t have at least 4 teams in the knockouts.  You make it seem like a common occurrence.  The EPL also has more consistent diversity of squads in the final 8 year to year with City, Liverpool, Chelsea all winning in recent years, unlike La Liga outside of Real.

Also, spare me Real Sociedad praise, this is their first time qualifying for the UCL knockouts in 20 years. That would be like an EPL fan crowing about Leicester City for depth.

The leagues compare very closely at the time, to claim otherwise is blind homerism.  La Liga falters because outside of the top 8-10, the league is awful.  Mid to bottom clubs like Alaves, Osasuna, Granada, or Getafe would get battered by a traditionally mid level English club like West Ham or Brighton or Villa

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4596 on: November 11, 2023, 08:05:08 PM »
In the last 5 years, the EPL has had 5 teams make the knockouts, it will be 6 when Arsenal qualifies this year.  This is also the second time in 8 years that the EPL didn’t have at least 4 teams in the knockouts.  You make it seem like a common occurrence.  The EPL also has more consistent diversity of squads in the final 8 year to year with City, Liverpool, Chelsea all winning in recent years, unlike La Liga outside of Real.

Also, spare me Real Sociedad praise, this is their first time qualifying for the UCL knockouts in 20 years. That would be like an EPL fan crowing about Leicester City for depth.

The leagues compare very closely at the time, to claim otherwise is blind homerism.  La Liga falters because outside of the top 8-10, the league is awful.  Mid to bottom clubs like Alaves, Osasuna, Granada, or Getafe would get battered by a traditionally mid level English club like West Ham or Brighton or Villa

In the last five years seven la Liga teams, have made the knockout stage.

Three different teams in the last three years has won la Liga.

Here’s the thing of the teams from the EPL who have made it, a good chunk aren’t even English owned anymore and only have become relevant because of foreign money.

EPL is deeper. Right. Says no results and it’s the same set of teams every year. This is why I say it is overrated because anyone who is an EPL person talks it up so much that their results don’t meet their own hype.

Girona is the Leicester City and they are currently leading the table. RSO is closer to Newcastle.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4597 on: November 11, 2023, 08:19:24 PM »
La liga is so top heavy. If I had to guess in the last twenty years, atleti is the only team named named  Madrid or Barca to win la liga.

The weakness of the middle to bottom half of the league is a huge advantage for the top teams. It’s just not the meat grinder that is the prem.

The biggest problem for England now is how punishing the schedule is during December/January. Between league games, Europe, league cup, fa cup and potential fa cup replays, those teams are playing games every three days while the rest of Europe takes a winter break.

The winter schedule is a huge disadvantage for English teams in Europe.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4598 on: November 11, 2023, 08:50:45 PM »
La liga is so top heavy. If I had to guess in the last twenty years, atleti is the only team named named  Madrid or Barca to win la liga.

The weakness of the middle to bottom half of the league is a huge advantage for the top teams. It’s just not the meat grinder that is the prem.

The biggest problem for England now is how punishing the schedule is during December/January. Between league games, Europe, league cup, fa cup and potential fa cup replays, those teams are playing games every three days while the rest of Europe takes a winter break.

The winter schedule is a huge disadvantage for English teams in Europe.

You’d be wrong, but just barely.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4599 on: November 11, 2023, 08:53:25 PM »
In the whole history of La Liga, Real Madrid and Barcelona have won, I’m guessing, almost all of the league titles. Does the fact that two teams win the Champions League a lot mean that La Liga is better? No, it means those two teams are better and Barcelona will never be the same Barcelona with their deep rooted financial issues.

feedback