collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802136 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4400 on: June 28, 2023, 12:54:19 PM »
Why else wouldn’t he manage the team ?

Answered multiple times now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4401 on: June 28, 2023, 12:54:52 PM »
QSMNT is a real thing.

You seemingly show up and mock criticisms of GGG/USSF every time it happens, like after the WC.  I'm not to the level of panda, but I don't know what US Soccer has done to deserve the benefit of the doubt.  Even if you like/have no issue with GGG, the federation has been a cluster and good ol boy nepo network for decades with limited success to earn leeway.

Regardless of the Gold Cup, how anyone can be not be embarrassed by the process, or skeptical of the organization as a whole, after this rehiring, and textbook buried announcement timing, is beyond me.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4402 on: June 28, 2023, 01:12:53 PM »
You seemingly show up and mock criticisms of GGG/USSF every time it happens,

I'm not mocking criticisms of GGG.
If I had my druthers, he would not have been re-hired.

I'm mocking the lunatic fringe of the USMNT fanbase which sees conspiracy and nefariousness at every turn. It's not nearly enough to simply disagree with a decision. No sir. The decisionmakers must be ascribed with wicked intentions. They must have their personal character, their morals and their ethics assailed. They must be destroyed.
And God help anyone in the soccer media/world who pushes back against that narrative. They're obviously federation lackeys, not simply people with - gasp! - a different outlook. Again, it's not enough to just disagree. You must also question the motives and character of the person.
It's all a bunch of nonsense, Wags, and I'm surprised you're caught up in it.
I wish the federation had gone a different direction. The fact they didn't doesn't make them the literal bad human beings you and others make them out to be.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 01:18:30 PM by Pakuni »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4403 on: June 28, 2023, 01:13:16 PM »
Answered multiple times now.

With an article written two weeks before the appointment which changes the entire premise of their proposed starting protocol….

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4404 on: June 28, 2023, 02:53:01 PM »
I'm not mocking criticisms of GGG.
If I had my druthers, he would not have been re-hired.

I'm mocking the lunatic fringe of the USMNT fanbase which sees conspiracy and nefariousness at every turn. It's not nearly enough to simply disagree with a decision. No sir. The decisionmakers must be ascribed with wicked intentions. They must have their personal character, their morals and their ethics assailed. They must be destroyed.
And God help anyone in the soccer media/world who pushes back against that narrative. They're obviously federation lackeys, not simply people with - gasp! - a different outlook. Again, it's not enough to just disagree. You must also question the motives and character of the person.
It's all a bunch of nonsense, Wags, and I'm surprised you're caught up in it.
I wish the federation had gone a different direction. The fact they didn't doesn't make them the literal bad human beings you and others make them out to be.

Oh I don't think they are bad human beings.  I don't think they are evil and nefarious, but I do think there is a cabal within the power structure at US Soccer that keeps things in control and that control/power/influence is just as important as the results and the results can be spun to make that hold.  And that I think is to the detriment of US Soccer as a whole.  I don't think its a grand conspiracy and I don't need a tinfoil hat for that, I just think its the truth.

I don't think GGG is some scumbag abuser, just a mid tier coach.  I don't think Cindy Cone is a malevolent dictator.  I think its just all part of the same merry go round.  Honestly, its no different than the Chicago Bears stumbling along forever cause the McCaskeys and their favored people were more important than doing whatever was needed to win.

Until I see something that signifies doing something other than the way they've always done it, I'll struggle to not be cynical about it.  I was hopeful about Matt Crocker, but this is not an auspicious start to his tenure.

As for soccer media, I think the problem is there are so many of the US Soccer/MLS writers who are just spin doctor apologists.  Like the guy I quoted during the WC who raved about GGG as an absolute superstar in his handling of everything around the WC and what a great man and father he was as a result.  With that sort of sycophant, I'm not going to trust anything they say with regards to US Soccer.  I'm not even bothered by the pollyanna types, but the ones who can't write a critical or non slanted word about MLS or US Soccer, and there are PLENTY, those are lackeys.  There are plenty of soccer writers who cover both that I respect even when I disagree with.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4405 on: June 28, 2023, 03:08:42 PM »
Oh I don't think they are bad human beings.

I would respectfully suggest that some of your posting history indicates otherwise.
I won't/don't want to list all the examples, but a couple come to mind.

Immediately after GGG's rehiring, your response here was to call Matt Crocker "just a puppet" and suggest he is somehow selling out for money. Those typically aren't the kind of aspersions you would cast on someone you think is a good person, right? At the very least you're impugning his character. Again ... not enough to say he made a bad decision. He has to be attacked as a person.

You also shared and endorsed a very long Tweetstorm late last year - or maybe earlier this year - arguing that federation leaders have willingly and knowingly engaged in a conspiracy that harms the organization  - or at least its chances of success - in exchange for personal benefit, financial and otherwise.
That seems an awful lot to me like calling them bad people. Good people don't sell out their organization for personal gain, right?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4406 on: June 28, 2023, 03:33:24 PM »
I would respectfully suggest that some of your posting history indicates otherwise.
I won't/don't want to list all the examples, but a couple come to mind.

Immediately after GGG's rehiring, your response here was to call Matt Crocker "just a puppet" and suggest he is somehow selling out for money. Those typically aren't the kind of aspersions you would cast on someone you think is a good person, right? At the very least you're impugning his character. Again ... not enough to say he made a bad decision. He has to be attacked as a person.

You also shared and endorsed a very long Tweetstorm late last year - or maybe earlier this year - arguing that federation leaders have willingly and knowingly engaged in a conspiracy that harms the organization  - or at least its chances of success - in exchange for personal benefit, financial and otherwise.
That seems an awful lot to me like calling them bad people. Good people don't sell out their organization for personal gain, right?

I suppose thats a way to look at it.

I called Matt Crocker a "puppet" because if he was brought in from the outside to do exactly what the Federation wanted or had done previously, which the rehiring of GGG suggests to me, then he's not the one pulling the strings.  I'm speaking to Matt Crocker as Sporting Director, his role.  Nothing about him as a human.  It had nothing to do with his character.  Thousands of people take promotions that advance their career where they will have to answer to a leader or agenda,  and often it can be immensely profitable.  I don't think that makes him deficient in character or even as a football mind.  I think he did great work at Southampton and he could very well have taken the job with US Soccer knowing that he could always be overruled on decisions like this and was fine with it knowing it could be good for him long term.  I never intended it to be an attack on his personal character and more disappointment, yet again, with the direction of US Soccer that his hiring initial didn't point to.

And again, you're putting words into my mouth.  I think people very often act in their own best interest.  Especially professionally, and I don't think it makes them necessarily bad people.  Bad at their jobs?  Misguided?  Absolutely.  But I don't think GGG or his brother and his pals at US Soccer are bad people as a result.  I do not care for Don Garber AT ALL, but I don't think he's a bad person, I just wholly disagree with his viewpoint and intentions.

Again, not dissimilar to other professional sports.  You see coaches hiring staff, or front offices hiring staff, that they've known for a long time, or are friendly with, or trust...that is a seemingly TERRIBLE decision to unbiased observers and acts to the detriment of their organization.  Owners too!  But I don't think it means they are bad people, they are just hiring/staffing/etc in ways that make them feel comfortable, protected, etc... 

I think its soccer malpractice thats happening at the top levels of US Soccer, but I don't think any of the people involved are scumbags or truly terrible people, as opposed to someone like Sepp Blatter.  I have no interest in impugning their personal character beyond just pointed and heavy criticism on how they do their jobs and shepherd a national team with potentially to be a legitimate player on the world stage.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4407 on: June 28, 2023, 04:19:30 PM »
Arsenal got money...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4408 on: June 28, 2023, 04:25:47 PM »
Arsenal got money...

All the Big 6 + Newcastle have bank.  Spending it effectively is the key.  We'll see how Rice ages.  9 figure transfers don't have as high a success rate as they should.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4409 on: June 28, 2023, 04:35:54 PM »
Wags,

If you told Matt Crocker he was a just puppet, would he take that as an attack on his character, or merely you questioning his decision making?

If you told Sunil Gulati he sold out the best interests of the USSF in order to enhance his personal wealth, would he think you were questioning his ethics, or merely had a difference opinion with how he ran the federation?

I think the things you've posted here go far beyond questioning a person's job performance.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4410 on: June 28, 2023, 05:47:46 PM »
Let's assume Matt crocker came into his new job. He reviewed all of the investigation into Gregg. He interviewed all the candidates he wanted to. He spoke to other coaches, staff, soccer insiders. He spoke to youth/current/former USMNT players. He did all the due diligence he should and could to make a decision on hiring the next usmnt head coach.

And at the end of that process, he concluded that Gregg is the best person for the job.

Is there any evidence that could be provided that would convince folks that:

A. Matt Crocker is the right person for the sporting director position/good at his job
B. Matt Crocker made his decision without significant outside influence
C. Matt Crocker truly believes Gregg is his pick for the best hire

• All American
« Reply #4411 on: June 28, 2023, 05:58:30 PM »
No. The only evidence that anyone should care about is if he meets or exceeds expectations. And only time will tell if that’s the case.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4412 on: June 28, 2023, 06:48:53 PM »
Wags,

If you told Matt Crocker he was a just puppet, would he take that as an attack on his character, or merely you questioning his decision making?

If you told Sunil Gulati he sold out the best interests of the USSF in order to enhance his personal wealth, would he think you were questioning his ethics, or merely had a difference opinion with how he ran the federation?

I think the things you've posted here go far beyond questioning a person's job performance.

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from.  Its not my intention, but it doesn't really change how I feel about things.

Let's assume Matt crocker came into his new job. He reviewed all of the investigation into Gregg. He interviewed all the candidates he wanted to. He spoke to other coaches, staff, soccer insiders. He spoke to youth/current/former USMNT players. He did all the due diligence he should and could to make a decision on hiring the next usmnt head coach.

And at the end of that process, he concluded that Gregg is the best person for the job.

Is there any evidence that could be provided that would convince folks that:

A. Matt Crocker is the right person for the sporting director position/good at his job
B. Matt Crocker made his decision without significant outside influence
C. Matt Crocker truly believes Gregg is his pick for the best hire

Like Sultan said, no, not really.  GGG wasn't a slam dunk hire the first time and didn't set the world on fire during his tenure, so it wasnt a no brainer "if we can get he back we GOTTA".  So for fresh eyes to come in and just reup the guy you just let go is pretty unheard of.

But again, results are all that matters.  If strategy/tactics/team vibe changes from the first time around, ok then Crocker heard/learned/saw something new and that changes everything.  But if we see more of the frustrating lack of offense compared to the free flowing assault from the last 2 matches of Nations League, then its gonna be really disappointing.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4413 on: June 28, 2023, 06:50:07 PM »
No. The only evidence that anyone should care about is if he meets or exceeds expectations. And only time will tell if that’s the case.

The issue is if the USSF’s expectations align with what should be expected from our best national team talent wise ever playing on home soil.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4414 on: June 28, 2023, 06:51:42 PM »
Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from.  Its not my intention, but it doesn't really change how I feel about things.

Like Sultan said, no, not really.  GGG wasn't a slam dunk hire the first time and didn't set the world on fire during his tenure, so it wasnt a no brainer "if we can get he back we GOTTA".  So for fresh eyes to come in and just reup the guy you just let go is pretty unheard of.

But again, results are all that matters.  If strategy/tactics/team vibe changes from the first time around, ok then Crocker heard/learned/saw something new and that changes everything.  But if we see more of the frustrating lack of offense compared to the free flowing assault from the last 2 matches of Nations League, then its gonna be really disappointing.

Ya, I get the results perspective.

But you're essentially saying there's nothing that will convince you that Matt Crocker isn't a puppet.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4415 on: June 28, 2023, 06:56:25 PM »

But you're essentially saying there's nothing that will convince you that Matt Crocker isn't a puppet.

It’s easy to be dubious when someone re hires a highly controversial figure with above average at best results.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4416 on: June 28, 2023, 07:09:12 PM »

Not so much that he isn't a puppet but that there was a plan in place when he was hired that he was supposed to adhere to.  I'm not saying he's toothless in perpetuity, but thats how it appears early stages.

And do you really look at it all and be like "yea GGG coming back makes sense, I'm sure they looked at all options and this works best"?  I'm not saying they were getting Pep or Jose, but I find it SHOCKING there was nobody better in the world that had interest.  They scored more than 1 goal in less than a third of their games over the last 2 years through the WC.  Just brutal.

Again, even if you're not into the USSF is corrupt ideas or other "conspiracies", I don't know how you look favorably upon the rehiring and Crocker's first few months as a result.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4417 on: June 28, 2023, 09:47:18 PM »
Not so much that he isn't a puppet but that there was a plan in place when he was hired that he was supposed to adhere to.  I'm not saying he's toothless in perpetuity, but thats how it appears early stages.

And do you really look at it all and be like "yea GGG coming back makes sense, I'm sure they looked at all options and this works best"?  I'm not saying they were getting Pep or Jose, but I find it SHOCKING there was nobody better in the world that had interest.  They scored more than 1 goal in less than a third of their games over the last 2 years through the WC.  Just brutal.

Again, even if you're not into the USSF is corrupt ideas or other "conspiracies", I don't know how you look favorably upon the rehiring and Crocker's first few months as a result.

I do think I understand your position.

As of now, you believe Crocker has little to no individual agency. And no evidence would convince otherwise.

Fwiw - I don't like the rehire. I've never been a fan of ussf. I hated gulati. I dislike Garber. I don't think Gregg was a good initial hire either. And I think the plan announced weeks ago to keep the new hire away from the team till after the summer is dumb.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4418 on: July 01, 2023, 01:14:46 PM »
Ok - had some time to think this over. Below is what ggg will need to change in order to win me (and I’m assuming the majority of the fan base) back over. Some of these should be easier than others.

1 - He needs to repair broken relationships with key players. Very concerning to hear he still had not reached out to Gio. Needs to repair relationships with Scally, Pepi and John Brooks. I highly doubt the brooks relationship is salvagebable.

2 - He needs to move on from his favorites ASAP. Aaron long, Acosta, areola, Jesus ferera, Jordan morris, roldan, Shaq morre. Aaron long stuck around for way too long. Played in most lead up games to WC and important qualifiers nations league etc. should’ve been dropped a long time before.

3 - Tactical flexibility. Build around your best players. You don’t build around a system with the national team. You conform to your top existing talent. Play gio Reyna centrally. Stop the fullbacks from pushing forward with worthless crosses into the box. MMA midfield doesn’t work. Musah and Mckennie are redundant etc.

4 - Pick the right starting 11 and in game management. Subs have been pathetic and some starting lineups are klinsman level bad.

5 - stop being such a dope. Selfies in the middle of games. Stupid bounce passes. Ridiculous framing of games aka the “dominant loss” against Canada. Missing a Memphis Depay. Leadership conference fiasco etc.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4419 on: July 03, 2023, 12:09:00 PM »
Ok - had some time to think this over. Below is what ggg will need to change in order to win me (and I’m assuming the majority of the fan base) back over. Some of these should be easier than others.

1 - He needs to repair broken relationships with key players. Very concerning to hear he still had not reached out to Gio. Needs to repair relationships with Scally, Pepi and John Brooks. I highly doubt the brooks relationship is salvagebable.

2 - He needs to move on from his favorites ASAP. Aaron long, Acosta, areola, Jesus ferera, Jordan morris, roldan, Shaq morre. Aaron long stuck around for way too long. Played in most lead up games to WC and important qualifiers nations league etc. should’ve been dropped a long time before.

3 - Tactical flexibility. Build around your best players. You don’t build around a system with the national team. You conform to your top existing talent. Play gio Reyna centrally. Stop the fullbacks from pushing forward with worthless crosses into the box. MMA midfield doesn’t work. Musah and Mckennie are redundant etc.

4 - Pick the right starting 11 and in game management. Subs have been pathetic and some starting lineups are klinsman level bad.

5 - stop being such a dope. Selfies in the middle of games. Stupid bounce passes. Ridiculous framing of games aka the “dominant loss” against Canada. Missing a Memphis Depay. Leadership conference fiasco etc.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I do think Ferreira has earned a spot on even the strongest 23 whether as the 3rd #9 or a backup #10. He's a 22 year old who scores in league and for the US. I know that he hasn't done it against the best teams and he needs to prove that he can, but the US has had a ton of strikers who haven't been able to come close to his production even against the lesser teams in the region.

I also don't care if Brooks ever suits up for the USMNT again, but I may be in the minority on that one.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4420 on: July 03, 2023, 12:57:30 PM »
I also don't care if Brooks ever suits up for the USMNT again, but I may be in the minority on that one.

If thats because those minutes are going to Richards, Neal, Robinson, or McKenzie?  Absolutely.  But if Brooks is continuing to get frozen out so GGG can keep running out Long, Zimmerman, or Miazga in meaningful games?  Hell no.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4421 on: July 04, 2023, 06:45:19 AM »
I agree with pretty much all of this. I do think Ferreira has earned a spot on even the strongest 23 whether as the 3rd #9 or a backup #10. He's a 22 year old who scores in league and for the US. I know that he hasn't done it against the best teams and he needs to prove that he can, but the US has had a ton of strikers who haven't been able to come close to his production even against the lesser teams in the region.

Ferera plays an important role at this point and it’s scoring against lower level competition. We went through some lean years in which wee struggled in that regard. There will be a role to play for him moving forward, I don’t think it should be as a number 9. He plays better in the pocket behind a striker with the ability to create in small spaces. I just don’t see ggg creating that opportunity for him.

Our CB pool is deep and his presence isn’t necessarily needed, but that example just shows ggg stubbornness to bring in his guys over proven talents for club and country to play his broken system.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4422 on: July 05, 2023, 01:25:29 PM »

• All American
« Reply #4423 on: July 05, 2023, 06:31:09 PM »
PSG really can't do anything if Mbappe just shows up and doesn't sign an extension right?

panda

• All American
« Reply #4424 on: July 07, 2023, 04:22:18 PM »

feedback