[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802807 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4325 on: June 15, 2023, 10:08:47 PM »
Does it matter what the players think?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4326 on: June 15, 2023, 10:10:23 PM »
Gregg vitriol not surprising in here

In other news, the US just dominated Mexico in that half

panda

• All American
« Reply #4327 on: June 15, 2023, 10:20:48 PM »
Gregg vitriol not surprising in here

In other news, the US just dominated Mexico in that half

Just wait until we get Jesus ferera playing false 9 and Shaq Moore doing cardio on the left side while gio Reyna and joe scally sit with pinnies on the bench.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4328 on: June 15, 2023, 10:37:49 PM »

On top of that, he’s at odds with (IMO) America’s best talent.

Balogun doesn't like Gregg? Or pulisic?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4329 on: June 15, 2023, 10:56:56 PM »
I love Weston

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4330 on: June 15, 2023, 11:19:49 PM »
That ref, much like those Mexican fans, with an abysmal showing

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4331 on: June 15, 2023, 11:29:51 PM »
Mexico was awful.

Mexican fans were worse.

The ref was even worse than that.

And yet what we'll remember from tonight is going back to Berhalter. Gross.

They keep talking about how the USSF would've talked to Berhalter about Reyna, but watching how integral Gio was to that match, they sure as hell better have asked Reyna if he supported that hire, and if the answer is anything short of an enthusiastic, unequivocal yes, you don't even consider bringing him back.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4332 on: June 15, 2023, 11:34:02 PM »
Mexico was awful.

Mexican fans were worse.

The ref was even worse than that.

And yet what we'll remember from tonight is going back to Berhalter. Gross.

They keep talking about how the USSF would've talked to Berhalter about Reyna, but watching how integral Gio was to that match, they sure as hell better have asked Reyna if he supported that hire, and if the answer is anything short of an enthusiastic, unequivocal yes, you don't even consider bringing him back.

What a match! We got to see a Futbol game and a UFC fight all in one.

That Weston Red was trash. The guy headbutted him essentially.

Mexican fans should be ashamed. All future USMNT v Mexico games should be belt on Alcatraz. Gees

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4333 on: June 15, 2023, 11:35:41 PM »
Also, I wasn’t a Gio supporter for his crybaby antics during the WC. But boy, he looked gooooood tonight!

panda

• All American
« Reply #4334 on: June 16, 2023, 05:17:46 AM »
Balogun doesn't like Gregg? Or pulisic?

No I mean the number 10 that can unlock a defense with a single pass, dictate tempo in the midfield or rip a dangerous shot at any point.

He’s a match winner with much of his true potential unrealized. Hiring the guy who grossly mismanaged him on the biggest stage and is(was?) clearly at odds at him is moronic.

Bit of a rant, but no one on this roster is better and IMO more important than Gio.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4335 on: June 16, 2023, 07:23:16 AM »
Charlie Davies. Yikes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4336 on: June 16, 2023, 07:34:07 AM »
Devil's advocate: this hire proves USSF is doing things the right way. Why? Because they've decided US soccer (at least according to their vision) is bigger than one potentially disgruntled player. And they took their time with a thorough investigation and subsequent coaching search.

On another note: I truly believe USSF was only considering American coaches because they wanted an American on the sideline for the US-based world cup.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4337 on: June 16, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »
It seems like a hire without ambition.

However, I know very little about soccer tactics so I have no idea who would be a good coach for this team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4338 on: June 16, 2023, 08:23:06 AM »
https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1669626922677211136?t=HGxIrZ8ySBaSdCQdYnWw4w&s=19

More player support, regardless of what the rest of us think

Also, lol:

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4339 on: June 16, 2023, 08:27:13 AM »
It's just so predictable.  We're going to dominate CONCACAF for the next three years just because the level of competition is at the level where GGG can just roll the ball out there and out-talent them. We'll get our hopes up when we get out of our group, maybe even win a knockout game with the expanded format, but once we come across a good team, we'll just fold.  GGG was completely outclassed by LVG last WC, and LVG is by no means a great coach.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4340 on: June 16, 2023, 09:50:15 AM »
Also, I wasn’t a Gio supporter for his crybaby antics during the WC. But boy, he looked gooooood tonight!

Had you watched Reyna play the game prior to the World Cup?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4341 on: June 16, 2023, 10:00:54 AM »
I love Weston

+1.  That was awesome.  Don't even care that he's suspended for the final - way more important for him to back his guy up there.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4342 on: June 16, 2023, 10:25:46 AM »
How do you get musah, mckennie, Adams, pulisic, Reyna on the field together?

IMO, Reyna out wide is a waste.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4343 on: June 16, 2023, 10:41:26 AM »
IMO based on current form I think Musah would be the odd man out, he had a pretty underwhelming season in Spain.  Run a 4-2-3-1 with Adams and Mck as the double pivot. Reyna central with CP and Weah on the wings and Balogun up top. Musah and Aaronson first two subs in.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4344 on: June 16, 2023, 10:48:55 AM »
IMO based on current form I think Musah would be the odd man out, he had a pretty underwhelming season in Spain.  Run a 4-2-3-1 with Adams and Mck as the double pivot. Reyna central with CP and Weah on the wings and Balogun up top. Musah and Aaronson first two subs in.

IMO, playing better teams outside of concacaf, that 2 man midfield will get run over. And Reyna doesn't track back/play defensively well enough to compensate for a 2 man midfield. And, to be fair, he shouldn't be expected to, because that's not his role.

Any consideration for a 3-4-3?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4345 on: June 16, 2023, 10:54:05 AM »
I wouldn't be opposed to trying a formation change, I just don't think GGG ever would go away from a back 4.  We've played 4 at the back since the beginning of time, and honestly, I'm not sure we have to personnel to make a back 3 work.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #4346 on: June 16, 2023, 01:08:25 PM »
It's just so predictable.  We're going to dominate CONCACAF for the next three years just because the level of competition is at the level where GGG can just roll the ball out there and out-talent them. We'll get our hopes up when we get out of our group, maybe even win a knockout game with the expanded format, but once we come across a good team, we'll just fold.  GGG was completely outclassed by LVG last WC, and LVG is by no means a great coach.

Mexico is definitely down at the moment, but not so sure about the USA being the best in Concacaf. Canada may like a word there. They did after all finish first in WCQ. Drew a brutal group in the WC with 2 teams that finished in the top 4, the other team in the group was Belgium. They have the 2 best players in Concacaf at their respective positions, Davies and David. The US beating this version of el Tri isn't that big a deal. They've looked terrible since Cocca took over, couldn't even beat Jamaica at home which is why they drew the US in the semi. Cocca's style of play is all wrong for the way Mexico likes to play. I don't see him surviving the weekend if they lose to Panama.

Prediction for Sunday, game ends in a 1-1 draw, USA wins in PKs.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4347 on: June 16, 2023, 01:30:55 PM »
Mexico is definitely down at the moment, but not so sure about the USA being the best in Concacaf. Canada may like a word there. They did after all finish first in WCQ. Drew a brutal group in the WC with 2 teams that finished in the top 4, the other team in the group was Belgium. They have the 2 best players in Concacaf at their respective positions, Davies and David. The US beating this version of el Tri isn't that big a deal. They've looked terrible since Cocca took over, couldn't even beat Jamaica at home which is why they drew the US in the semi. Cocca's style of play is all wrong for the way Mexico likes to play. I don't see him surviving the weekend if they lose to Panama.

Prediction for Sunday, game ends in a 1-1 draw, USA wins in PKs.

Having "the 2 best players at their respective positions" is kinda mitigated when one of those positions is LB.  I'm also not so sure that David was definitely better than Balogun last year in Ligue 1, their numbers are pretty comparable, and David was on an unquestionably better team with more service.  I'll also throw out that having a world class striker does not guarantee success, look at how dominant Norway has been.  Games are won in the midfield, and Canada played a 40 year old currently at Besiktas in their semi-final.  I think Herdman is a better coach than GGG and anything can happen in a 1 game final (especially with 2 Americans suspended), but I would be pretty confident saying that between now and WC2026, the US will have more success.

Edit: Agree that Mexico is a dumpster fire that needs to be torn down to the studs, and rebuilt.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 01:35:28 PM by Its DJOver »

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #4348 on: June 16, 2023, 01:41:21 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree, just don't think it's a sure thing the USA will dominate the next few years. These teams are not much different than the teams that played in WCQ and Canada was the best team in the region, during that cycle. Just saying don't count out Canada and I do think Mexico will improve too, probably not to a point where they will overtake the US and Canada, but they will be more competitive than last night's team.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4349 on: June 16, 2023, 01:50:51 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree, just don't think it's a sure thing the USA will dominate the next few years. These teams are not much different than the teams that played in WCQ and Canada was the best team in the region, during that cycle. Just saying don't count out Canada and I do think Mexico will improve too, probably not to a point where they will overtake the US and Canada, but they will be more competitive than last night's team.

Fair, I do think they're clearly the two best teams in the region, by a decent bit too.  It'll be interesting to see if/how intense that rivalry gets.  I feel like it's gonna be that Man U/Man C/Pool trio, where the biggest rivalry there is still the one with the most history, even though it doesn't have the two best teams.

feedback