[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 787972 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4075 on: January 26, 2023, 01:08:08 PM »
The USMNT housecleaning continues.
Earnie Stewart off to PSV Eindhoven.

https://sports.yahoo.com/earnie-stewart-us-soccer-usmnt-155817757.html

Big crowd last night, btw.

Probably best for all parties, no matter how small/large their role has been in the post WC fiasco, new blood is needed.  Not overly confident that the right hires are going to be made, but it is a step in the right direction.

Side note, John Brooks now has a club again.  Always felt like a natural fit in the Bundesliga. Hope he can recover his form.
https://www.thescore.com/deu_fed/news/2557678/usmnt-outcast-john-brooks-joins-hoffenheim-from-benfica

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #4076 on: January 26, 2023, 05:16:51 PM »
Claudio Reyna resigns as sporting director at Austin FC. Hope he  doesn’t end up anywhere near the USMNT

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4077 on: January 26, 2023, 05:34:00 PM »
Side note, John Brooks now has a club again.  Always felt like a natural fit in the Bundesliga. Hope he can recover his form.
https://www.thescore.com/deu_fed/news/2557678/usmnt-outcast-john-brooks-joins-hoffenheim-from-benfica

Good fit.  Solid club solid new manager who needs to reverse some bad form, and playing opportunities.  He's only 29, he's still got plenty of run left, he's played nearly full Bundesliga seasons the last 2 years, not like he's fallen off a cliff.

Claudio Reyna resigns as sporting director at Austin FC. Hope he  doesn’t end up anywhere near the USMNT

I don't see how there is any chance of that.  Steward and GGG may be gone, but he still ran very much afoul of the powers that be at the top and they are all still around.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4078 on: January 26, 2023, 07:23:51 PM »
USSF is a complete dumpster fire right now. Totally directionless

panda

• All American
« Reply #4079 on: January 26, 2023, 07:27:37 PM »
USSF is a complete dumpster fire right now. Totally directionless

It’s a bad sign when state media agent Alexi lalas is critical of the state of the fed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4080 on: January 26, 2023, 08:58:07 PM »
It’s a bad sign when state media agent Alexi lalas is critical of the state of the fed.

Don’t worry, he was still bashing Gio and his performance at BVB this week.

I didn’t used to mind Lalas, he was never my favorite but he was fine and entertaining at points.  But man he has become an ass clown

panda

• All American
« Reply #4081 on: January 26, 2023, 10:16:24 PM »

I didn’t used to mind Lalas, he was never my favorite but he was fine and entertaining at points.  But man he has become an ass clown

His “downfall” goes to show how many new legitimate outlets there are in this country for soccer news now. It was so sparse just five years ago that guys like Lalas could skate by on name alone with minimal insight added to the table.

There are so many better, more informative options available now that mouthpieces like Lalas can get called out for who they really are.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4082 on: January 27, 2023, 09:01:35 AM »

I can honestly say that I've never met someone that liked Lalas' commentary.  The range has been "barely tolerable" to "I'll watch the telemundo broadcast with CC before I listen to him".  Honestly don't think Twellman is much better, he got his "Skip Bayless-esque" rant post T+T, and has ridden it ever since.  Stu Holden and John Strong are a very good duo that I'd gladly listen to any game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4083 on: January 27, 2023, 09:08:45 AM »
To me Lalas dates to a time when networks thought you had to pump up the audience to be excited about soccer. And its all so very jingoistic.

Compare and contrast to NBC's EPL coverage, which doesn't have over-the-top personalities, but informative yet still entertaining coverage instead.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #4084 on: January 27, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
Among these same lines, happy to see Kyle martino back on tv. He’s awesome

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4085 on: January 27, 2023, 12:29:16 PM »
I can honestly say that I've never met someone that liked Lalas' commentary.  The range has been "barely tolerable" to "I'll watch the telemundo broadcast with CC before I listen to him".  Honestly don't think Twellman is much better, he got his "Skip Bayless-esque" rant post T+T, and has ridden it ever since.  Stu Holden and John Strong are a very good duo that I'd gladly listen to any game.

My "didn't mind" was certainly not an endorsement, he was just filler with an occasionally good take.

I actually like Twellman doing color on a broadcast, I think he has an enjoyable excitment to his delivery.  In studio I agree he's a bit much.

Stu is my guy.  Great perspective, retains the joy and wonder of the sport, insightful as a former player, and doesn't get sucked into tropes.  John Strong is also a fantastic PBP and has been for years, the best the US has ever produced for soccer IMO.

Totally agree about Martino too.

Compare and contrast to NBC's EPL coverage, which doesn't have over-the-top personalities, but informative yet still entertaining coverage instead.

I think its because NBC's coverage is very literally a British broadcast.  Over the top crazy pundits are a bit of a rarity there, IMO, as opposed to the norm like in the US.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4086 on: January 27, 2023, 12:46:02 PM »
I think its because NBC's coverage is very literally a British broadcast.  Over the top crazy pundits are a bit of a rarity there, IMO, as opposed to the norm like in the US.

But my point is that there is room for that here as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4087 on: January 27, 2023, 01:28:16 PM »
But my point is that there is room for that here as well.

Absolutely agree.  I think they do a fantastic job

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4088 on: January 27, 2023, 03:36:03 PM »
My "didn't mind" was certainly not an endorsement, he was just filler with an occasionally good take.

I actually like Twellman doing color on a broadcast, I think he has an enjoyable excitment to his delivery.  In studio I agree he's a bit much.

Stu is my guy.  Great perspective, retains the joy and wonder of the sport, insightful as a former player, and doesn't get sucked into tropes.  John Strong is also a fantastic PBP and has been for years, the best the US has ever produced for soccer IMO.

Totally agree about Martino too.

And Rebecca Lowe is a hunny. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4089 on: January 27, 2023, 03:50:43 PM »
Decided to watch the City-Arsenal Cup tie because Turner was starting in goal for Arsenal.  Figured it would be an entertaining match between the 2 top teams in the EPL.  Nope, its been absolute dog crape

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4090 on: January 27, 2023, 06:56:16 PM »
Decided to watch the City-Arsenal Cup tie because Turner was starting in goal for Arsenal.  Figured it would be an entertaining match between the 2 top teams in the EPL.  Nope, its been absolute dog crape

The FA Cup matches I’ve watched have been rough this year. Fulham is still alive but they haven’t prioritized the competition at all.

For a mid-table club whose primary goal is avoiding relegation, when do you start going for it? Quarterfinals? Tough balance to strike. I hope they bring the A squad tomorrow for a fun match against Sunderland.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #4091 on: January 28, 2023, 01:19:29 AM »
Let’s go Wednesday!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4092 on: January 28, 2023, 07:58:58 AM »
The FA Cup matches I’ve watched have been rough this year. Fulham is still alive but they haven’t prioritized the competition at all.

For a mid-table club whose primary goal is avoiding relegation, when do you start going for it? Quarterfinals? Tough balance to strike. I hope they bring the A squad tomorrow for a fun match against Sunderland.

I don't really follow soccer, but I've been keeping an eye on Sunderland since watching Sunderland 'Til I Die on Netflix. They did a good job on that show making me care about the team and the fans. So, to the extent I have a team that I follow, I guess they would be it.

Anyway, I put a couple of bucks on them for today's game. I figured I was just burning money, but ...

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4093 on: January 28, 2023, 08:08:45 AM »
Sounds like Weston to Leeds is done

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4094 on: January 29, 2023, 12:32:28 PM »
Sexy wrexy

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4095 on: January 29, 2023, 12:53:59 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4096 on: January 30, 2023, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm so torn on Wrexham.

On one hand, its really fun, great theater, and its cool to see a beaten down rust belt sort of town have some success.

On the other hand, after watching the series (which I really did enjoy), its very apparent that the whole purchase was all a work and the show was pitched and created before a team was purchased, and the whole organic Rob/Ryan friendship was a farce.  That being said, I don't doubt their very real enthusiasm, especially Mcelhenney, he seems like a pretty genuine dude..

That being said, with the Hollywood money, their underdog status is a little overdone, they are paying a lot of dudes League One level money and their roster reflects the talent of that.  Its still impressive they took a team to the limit that is probably returning to the EPL next year.  But its like a League One Barnesly or Wycombe did it, not Boreham Wood.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4097 on: January 30, 2023, 10:23:59 AM »
I'm so torn on Wrexham.

On one hand, its really fun, great theater, and its cool to see a beaten down rust belt sort of town have some success.

On the other hand, after watching the series (which I really did enjoy), its very apparent that the whole purchase was all a work and the show was pitched and created before a team was purchased, and the whole organic Rob/Ryan friendship was a farce.  That being said, I don't doubt their very real enthusiasm, especially Mcelhenney, he seems like a pretty genuine dude..

That being said, with the Hollywood money, their underdog status is a little overdone, they are paying a lot of dudes League One level money and their roster reflects the talent of that.  Its still impressive they took a team to the limit that is probably returning to the EPL next year.  But its like a League One Barnesly or Wycombe did it, not Boreham Wood.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but from watching the show, it seemed Rob and Ryan were pretty upfront from the get-go that their primary interest/motivation was creating content. I think the "we've fallen in love with this hardscrabble town and its people" came about after the fact, and seemed fairly genuine (though that could be a work, I suppose).
As for the money ... it seemed that was the point as well. I don't the showrunners were ever misleading about the fact that they intended to pour money into the club to earn promotion. After all, they had TikTok and Expedia on their kits, while most of their National League peers have the likes of a funeral home chain and local bus charter service.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4098 on: January 30, 2023, 11:11:55 AM »
Maybe I'm misremembering, but from watching the show, it seemed Rob and Ryan were pretty upfront from the get-go that their primary interest/motivation was creating content. I think the "we've fallen in love with this hardscrabble town and its people" came about after the fact, and seemed fairly genuine (though that could be a work, I suppose).

Sort of. I'm just saying there was nothing organic or spontaneous about the creation of the whole situation, and the show still tried to sell that.  I like Ryan Reynolds, but I don't think there is anything genuine about him, he always feels like he's playing a character.

As for the money ... it seemed that was the point as well. I don't the showrunners were ever misleading about the fact that they intended to pour money into the club to earn promotion. After all, they had TikTok and Expedia on their kits, while most of their National League peers have the likes of a funeral home chain and local bus charter service.

Yea, its more the media that still tries to pretend they are just like every National League club, just with famous owners.

But at the same time, you still have all the scenes of Rob and Ryan stressing over money and "can we swing this $150K here, its tight" knowing they have deep enough pockets to fund the team's annual budget 5x over, and thats not including "non-Wrexham" revenue from the club through the show that comes in each year.

Again, I really enjoy the show and still pull for Wrexham cause documenting the clubs rise, even to League One or the Championship, would be incredibly entertaining from a BTS perspective.  Its Sunderland Til I Die with even more engaging personalities.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4099 on: January 30, 2023, 12:02:15 PM »
I'm so torn on Wrexham.

Slight correction...they may return to the EFL next year. The EPL is still four years away.

feedback