collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802137 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3850 on: April 16, 2022, 10:17:06 AM »
Steffen so so so bad.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3851 on: April 16, 2022, 01:24:09 PM »
Steffen so so so bad.

Almost like not getting regular run and reps and then being thrown into a high pressure game against a very good, offensively potent team is a recipe for failure.

Make no mistake, he was bad.  But thats a rough position to be in

panda

• All American
« Reply #3852 on: April 16, 2022, 02:24:56 PM »
Almost like not getting regular run and reps and then being thrown into a high pressure game against a very good, offensively potent team is a recipe for failure.

Agreed but still bad - and not good for WC prospects. He needs a loan move in a bad way next season. He looked really bad in the last qualifying window too.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3853 on: April 16, 2022, 08:03:29 PM »
Agreed but still bad - and not good for WC prospects. He needs a loan move in a bad way next season. He looked really bad in the last qualifying window too.

Yea for sure.  Whoever the #1 is needs to be playing regularly.  Its my concern for Turner too.  Arsenal is a great opportunity but not if he's going to be second choice and play sparingly.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3854 on: April 18, 2022, 02:03:39 PM »
Yea for sure.  Whoever the #1 is needs to be playing regularly.  Its my concern for Turner too.  Arsenal is a great opportunity but not if he's going to be second choice and play sparingly.

Yep - Why I didn't love the either of the moves for them. I don't see City bending over backwards to find Steffen a move either.

Arsenal may be more accommodating given their depth at the spot.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3855 on: April 18, 2022, 03:24:08 PM »
Yep - Why I didn't love the either of the moves for them. I don't see City bending over backwards to find Steffen a move either.

Arsenal may be more accommodating given their depth at the spot.

Yea, they have a stud in Ederson and they have their old, wily English 3rd keeper.  They have no need or want to move Steffan.  Its just a crap situation for him, considering he's too old for them to wanna loan again.

Assuming Arsenal is moving Leno back to the Bundesliga, Turner will get a shot with Ramsdale I'd think, to the tune of 20ish apps a season, barring injury.  As opposed to Pep who will play Ederson till his hands fall off each season

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3856 on: April 19, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »

Reps or not, he's a poor shot stopper and isn't great playing with the ball at his feet, which is supposed to be his strength. Berhalter seems to forget that the job of the goal keeper is to keep balls out of the goal, however, so I expect Steffen to remain his number 1.

On the personal front...I love Tom McIntyre. He grew up a Reading fan, went to the Reading Academy, and even rushed the pitch from the stands when Reading was promoted in 2012. Now he plays for the Royals.

On Friday, Reading went ahead 1-0 at promotion challengers Sheffield as Reading tries to fight off relegation only to concede what looked like a sure drawing goal in the 88th minute. Tom McIntyre scored in added time to seal the 2-1 win. On Monday, Reading again took a 1-0 lead, this time over Swansea, only to get battered into a 4-1 hole. They chipped away and cut the lead to 4-3 going into added time. Again, McIntyre came up big, scoring the game-tying goal, relegating Derby in the process, and all but assuring Reading won't be relegated (7 points ahead with 3 to play).

After the Swansea match, he went over to the stands he used to sit in and led the fans in song. What a legend.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3857 on: April 19, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »
Just heard during Liverpool's absolute thumping of United...

Fulham have secured promotion.  In doing so, Fulham and Norwich have swapped promotion and relegation for a 5th straight season.  Kind of hilarious

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3858 on: April 20, 2022, 11:13:55 AM »
Just heard during Liverpool's absolute thumping of United...

Fulham have secured promotion.  In doing so, Fulham and Norwich have swapped promotion and relegation for a 5th straight season.  Kind of hilarious

I really want to believe it will be different this time under Silva. Fulham hasn't dominated the Championship like this in past promotion seasons. But I'm firmly in wait and see mode.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3859 on: April 20, 2022, 11:42:36 AM »
I really want to believe it will be different this time under Silva. Fulham hasn't dominated the Championship like this in past promotion seasons. But I'm firmly in wait and see mode.

Yea, I love Fulham but Mitro just disappears against Premier League competition.

The new Riverside Stand at Craven Cottage should be done before the 2022-23 season, which should help the home atmosphere unlike when it was a dead zone last time around.

Craven Cottage is definitely one of my favorite grounds that I’ve been to.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:44:11 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3860 on: April 20, 2022, 06:11:45 PM »
Can't count on Chelsea for anything

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3861 on: April 24, 2022, 02:23:05 PM »
I never had a ton of respect for Lampard to begin with, but what a joke he is.  I get Everton is fighting for relegation, but I haven't seen a more trash, cynical gameplan in quite awhile.  Pickford started trying to time waste at the 10 min mark.  Everton were hacking and diving everywhere.  It was just awful.  Anthony Gordon is really talented but he will never amount to anything if he refuses to stay on his feet.  I would say I was shocked Richarlison didn't get a red, but the officiating was spotty all match.

Liverpool is keeping pace.  Gonna be brutal if they fall short by a single point AGAIN

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3862 on: April 25, 2022, 08:13:21 AM »
Saw a classic click-bait debate on Twitter recently after Pulisic's winning goal this weekend asking where he ranks among Americans in the Premier League. Of course, most were saying either 1 or 2 with Dempsey the other name, but I'm curious what people here think. Here are my thoughts:

Top tier: Clint Dempsey, Brad Friedel, Tim Howard

Second tier: Christian Pulisic, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller, Brad Guzan

Third tier: Claudio Reyna, Roy Wegerle, Geoff Cameron, Marcus Hahnemann

I think Pulisic is close to breaking through to that top tier, but right now just doesn't have the longevity of those top three.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 08:38:00 AM by brewcity77 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3863 on: April 25, 2022, 08:22:31 AM »
Saw a classic click-bait debate on Twitter recently after Pulisic's winning goal this weekend asking where he ranks among Americans in the Premier League. Of course, most were saying either 1 or 2 with Dempsey the other name, but I'm curious what people here think. Here are my thoughts:

Second tier: Christian Pulisic, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller

I think Pulisic is close to breaking through to that top tier, but right now just doesn't have the longevity of those top three.

Would you put Guzan on the second tier?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3864 on: April 25, 2022, 08:37:45 AM »
Crap, yeah, I meant to put him on there and just forgot. Will edit. He's probably borderline second/third.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3865 on: April 25, 2022, 10:28:32 AM »

Second tier: Christian Pulisic, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Kasey Keller, Brad Guzan

I can buy the longevity angle.  But the difference for me, that would already have Pulisic nudging into the top tier, is the caliber of club he's on.  I love Deuce and he was so fun to watch at Fulham, but he was on a middle table club at best.  Pulisic has been showing out for a club that's contending and winning serious silverware.  He's ahead of Dempsey in terms of goal scoring in their first few seasons in the EPL, plus he's adding goals in the CL.  All while battling some injuries and struggling to stay in Tuchel's mercurial good graces.  He keeps it up another season or 2, debate over.

I do think keepers and outfield players are apples to oranges in this debate, only cause there was a light to medium prejudice against Americans related to their quality, IMO, that didn't extend to keepers.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3866 on: April 26, 2022, 04:29:31 PM »
Well, at least one side of Madrid can play an entertaining game.  They were lucky not to ship in more, and neither team defended well, but man, that was as entertaining of a game as you'll ever see.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3867 on: April 28, 2022, 10:36:50 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3868 on: April 28, 2022, 10:54:10 AM »
Cool article on Forward Madison's kits:

https://theonlinerule.com/forward-madison-football-kits-grow-brand-community/

I have one from a couple of years ago, and I love the designs they use.  Hopefully can make it to a match this year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3869 on: April 28, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »
I love side-eying anything Madison, but everything around the branding and marketing of Forward Madison.  The kits are gorgeous in every form.  Ive seen IG sponsored ads for a British soccer kit podcast and they were talking about Forward Madison, which is pretty remarkable.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #3870 on: May 03, 2022, 12:48:22 PM »
The race for regulation and Europe are gonna be fun to watch in the PL... Everton on the brink! 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3871 on: May 04, 2022, 04:08:04 PM »
This semifinal is nuts. City up 1-0, 5-3 on aggregate. Madrid score in the 90th and 91st minute, then get a penalty in extra time. As it stands they're on to Paris.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3872 on: May 09, 2022, 11:04:47 AM »
Miles Robinson with a torn Achilles.  CB is an area that we have decent depth, but he was still one of the better options and pretty much a lock for the WC roster.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3873 on: May 09, 2022, 11:19:00 AM »
Miles Robinson with a torn Achilles.  CB is an area that we have decent depth, but he was still one of the better options and pretty much a lock for the WC roster.

This is why USMNT regulars shouldnt play in MLS

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3874 on: May 09, 2022, 11:31:06 AM »

He was most likely a first choice at CB along with Zimmerman.  But I think Richards can step up.  Hopefully Aaron Long can return to form.  And like you said, there is some depth there.