[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802815 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3825 on: April 03, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
Is Matt Doherty the best left back in the PL?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3826 on: April 03, 2022, 12:06:25 PM »

This is teal right?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3827 on: April 03, 2022, 12:34:37 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3828 on: April 03, 2022, 02:25:01 PM »

At least for one day.

Wonder how much covid affected him in regards to his fitness.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3829 on: April 06, 2022, 02:53:52 PM »
Not trying to be an ass, but do people really think the current US squad could compete with a full strength England?

Yes. The gap between the two in how they've been playing is much larger than the gap between their best potential. Hopefully that closes before November. As-is, I'm with Brew.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3830 on: April 06, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
Man, that Lo Celso guy looked pretty good today. Foyth and Capoue weren’t bad either. If only Aurier had gotten a little more run  ;)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3831 on: April 07, 2022, 12:40:58 PM »
@MLS_Buzz: CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are in conversation about a Copa America played in the United States in 2024. The 2016 Copa America in the USA was the highest attended Copa America in history (USA finished 4th).

Hope this happens. I loved the last one. I had tickets to the Argentina match at Soldier against Panama and was incredibly disappointed when Messi, recovering from injury, didn't start. He came off the bench in the second half and scored a hat trick. Phenomenal game experience.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3832 on: April 07, 2022, 12:48:18 PM »
@MLS_Buzz: CONMEBOL and CONCACAF are in conversation about a Copa America played in the United States in 2024. The 2016 Copa America in the USA was the highest attended Copa America in history (USA finished 4th).

Hope this happens. I loved the last one. I had tickets to the Argentina match at Soldier against Panama and was incredibly disappointed when Messi, recovering from injury, didn't start. He came off the bench in the second half and scored a hat trick. Phenomenal game experience.

Would love this, had the full Chicago set in 2016. Got to see the Messi hat trick, the US win, then sold the tickets to the semis to break even and didn’t have to sit through that thunderstorm/tornado.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3833 on: April 08, 2022, 01:36:35 PM »

Was there as well. Also was there for the Colombia/Chile game.

Standing in the concourse for over an hour was not pleasant

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3834 on: April 09, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »
Antonio unnatural carnal knowledgeing conte

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3835 on: April 09, 2022, 01:36:35 PM »
Is tomorrow the biggest Premier League match ever? There’s never been two teams this dominant at the same time, this close in the table, this late in the season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3836 on: April 09, 2022, 06:24:48 PM »
Following a Championship team facing relegation sucks. Reading lost from ahead today. It was the 7th time they've dropped all the points after having the lead. They've dropped 27 total points on the live table from a leading position.

Conversely, they have come from a deficit to win just twice and draw 3 times. So 27 points dropped, 9 points recovered. I've never followed a team and felt less confident with a lead.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3837 on: April 09, 2022, 06:36:47 PM »
Following a Championship team facing relegation sucks. Reading lost from ahead today. It was the 7th time they've dropped all the points after having the lead. They've dropped 27 total points on the live table from a leading position.

Conversely, they have come from a deficit to win just twice and draw 3 times. So 27 points dropped, 9 points recovered. I've never followed a team and felt less confident with a lead.

Weren't they towards the top at the beginning of the year?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3838 on: April 11, 2022, 09:17:51 AM »
Weren't they towards the top at the beginning of the year?

Very early on, yes, but it's been a whirlwind season. Some losses to injury, some to the January window. Guys expected to score didn't. Fired the manager midway through and got assessed a points deduction that dragged RFC closer to relegation. I think they'll probably stay up, but dropping another 3 points this past Saturday (coming from ahead to lose is really getting old) has them still tittering on the brink.

8 point cushion, 5 to play, though Barnsley has a game in hand, that should be enough. But when you have 12 wins and have seen leads turned into points dropped 10 times, it's hard to have much trust in that team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3839 on: April 11, 2022, 09:29:26 AM »
Poor Doherty

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3840 on: April 11, 2022, 04:29:50 PM »
Very early on, yes, but it's been a whirlwind season. Some losses to injury, some to the January window. Guys expected to score didn't. Fired the manager midway through and got assessed a points deduction that dragged RFC closer to relegation. I think they'll probably stay up, but dropping another 3 points this past Saturday (coming from ahead to lose is really getting old) has them still tittering on the brink.

8 point cushion, 5 to play, though Barnsley has a game in hand, that should be enough. But when you have 12 wins and have seen leads turned into points dropped 10 times, it's hard to have much trust in that team.

Dang, Derby's points deduction is the only thing keeping Reading up.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3841 on: April 12, 2022, 04:03:15 PM »
So Villareal go to Munich and knock out Bayern to go to the semifinals of the Champions League.

They only qualified for the CL this year because they won the Europa League last year, beating Arsenal in the semifinals and Manchester United in the Final winning 1-1 (11-10 in PKs.)

To qualify for the CL knockout stage this year, they had to win on the road in Atalanta in the final group stage match.  In the first round of the knockout, they beat Juventus.

And pretty much the only way they would qualify for next year's CL is to win this year since their La Liga place wouldn't qualify.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3842 on: April 12, 2022, 05:02:27 PM »
So Villareal go to Munich and knock out Bayern to go to the semifinals of the Champions League.

They only qualified for the CL this year because they won the Europa League last year, beating Arsenal in the semifinals and Manchester United in the Final winning 1-1 (11-10 in PKs.)

To qualify for the CL knockout stage this year, they had to win on the road in Atalanta in the final group stage match.  In the first round of the knockout, they beat Juventus.

And pretty much the only way they would qualify for next year's CL is to win this year since their La Liga place wouldn't qualify.

Nagelsmann will be fine as Bayern will comfortable win the Bundesliga again, but man that was SHOCKINGLY uninspired from Bayern over 2 legs.  On the road is one thing, but they looked atrocious today.  Completely and utterly devoid of quality in the final third for basically the whole match.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3843 on: April 13, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »
He's gotten plenty of results, so full marks to him for that, but I can't STAND Diego Simeone and his tactics.  Its anti-football with a good dash of dirty play and theatrics.  Its so rare, especially in the last 5 seasons, that a meaningful match featuring Atletico will be at all entertaining.

In more pleasant news, Liverpool onto the Semis.  3 semis in 5 years after a decade absence.  Klopp is an absolute gem.  A favorable draw with Villareal has good potential for a 3rd Championship appearance in the span which makes the awful showing in 2015 feel like a different lifetime.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3844 on: April 13, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »
He's gotten plenty of results, so full marks to him for that, but I can't STAND Diego Simeone and his tactics.  Its anti-football with a good dash of dirty play and theatrics.  Its so rare, especially in the last 5 seasons, that a meaningful match featuring Atletico will be at all entertaining.

In more pleasant news, Liverpool onto the Semis.  3 semis in 5 years after a decade absence.  Klopp is an absolute gem.  A favorable draw with Villareal has good potential for a 3rd Championship appearance in the span which makes the awful showing in 2015 feel like a different lifetime.

Some may call it great defending, but I feel like I’m order it to be great, you need to have some sort of counter strategy when you win the ball and let it turn into dangerous offensive possession.

They did absolutely nothing of the sort in this tie. Just complete shutdown negative soccer.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3845 on: April 13, 2022, 04:02:28 PM »
The worst part is that they have attacking talent.  The second half of the second leg today they've arguably been the better team (up until the scrum).  They just choose to wait until the last 45 minutes of a 180 minute tie to even try to start looking towards goal.  Griezmann, Felix, Suarez (admittedly old), is a solid front line that shouldn't have to play like this.

The world deserves City Liverpool round 4 for the final.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3846 on: April 13, 2022, 04:37:15 PM »
Some may call it great defending, but I feel like I’m order it to be great, you need to have some sort of counter strategy when you win the ball and let it turn into dangerous offensive possession.

They did absolutely nothing of the sort in this tie. Just complete shutdown negative soccer.

1000% is glorified parking of the bus, from a team stacked with talent.

The worst part is that they have attacking talent.  The second half of the second leg today they've arguably been the better team (up until the scrum).  They just choose to wait until the last 45 minutes of a 180 minute tie to even try to start looking towards goal.  Griezmann, Felix, Suarez (admittedly old), is a solid front line that shouldn't have to play like this.

The world deserves City Liverpool round 4 for the final.

Thats been the Simeone mission statement.  In the 10+ years that he's been in charge, they averaged more than 1.8 goals per game twice.  The only year they averaged 2 goals...they won La Liga and finished runner up in the CL.  SHOCKER. And its not like they play in the EPL or a recently low scoring Serie A.  They play in a top heavy La Liga where they could bomb goals in against minnows where the bottom 5 teams are awful.

And they've always had attacking talent up top.  Costa, Griezmann, Suarez, Morata, Torres, and now Felix.  It just doesn't matter.  They are going to defend, hack at you, and maybe score on a counter.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3847 on: April 13, 2022, 05:27:21 PM »
Once klopp wins a couple more PL titles and CL titles, he should come on over to the US and lead the usmnt to a world cup titled in 2026. Thereby solidifying him as the greatest football manager in history

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3848 on: April 13, 2022, 08:29:16 PM »
Once klopp wins a couple more PL titles and CL titles, he should come on over to the US and lead the usmnt to a world cup titled in 2026. Thereby solidifying him as the greatest football manager in history

Klopp has already said he won't be at Liverpool forever.  Likely only 3-5 more years max.  I genuinely wonder where he'll go.  I can't see him in La Liga or Serie A.  And probably not Bayern.  Maybe the German National Team?  He'll be near 60, which is nothing for a soccer manager

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3849 on: April 16, 2022, 08:22:14 AM »
Ug. So spursy

feedback