[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803083 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3500 on: September 04, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
The USMNT had numerous 1-0 victories this summer.  The offense is still a work in progress.  Expect a lot of low scoring grinders throughout qualifying.

Plus, the lineup against El Salvador wasn't a full top 11. No Pulisic, no Musah, no Brooks, Antonee Robinson played about 30 minutes, and no Weah who is probably 1st off the bench.  I expect better performances when the US has their very best players playing.  Especially during future qualifying windows when Musah is available.

But there are still plenty of questions with this team. First and foremost is the lack of a dynamic striker. Sargent doesn't look like the answer, Pefok isn't very well rounded, and Pepi is unproven at this level.

Qualifying will be a grind, just like it always is.  Hopefully, the Yanks can grow throughout this cycle and peak near the end.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3501 on: September 04, 2021, 10:56:56 AM »
Pulisic wasn't on the pitch, though. And Donovan scored as many in 09-10 (while assisting on nearly twice as many) as McKennie & Adams have in their international careers. He was also being deployed less as a forward due to Clint and Jozy and more as a creator.

I think both have the potential to eclipse him, but when it comes to qualifying and playing on those pitches, they aren't there yet. Adams' post-match comments only further confirmed that he's still developing what it takes to succeed in CONCACAF.

Well McKennie is a box to box mid and Adams is more a defensive mid, so they will never score to the levels of Donovan, so goals aren’t a great metric.  McKennie’s totals for last year at Juve was more to how impressive it was to score that much from his position.

If you’re talking strictly as internationals, then that’s fair, no argument there.  I was talking as players in totality, club success and form included.

I think Sargent has hit a wall but it’s too early in to write him off.  He’s still only 21.  I think his time in the PL will help with some toughness

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3502 on: September 04, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »
If you’re talking strictly as internationals, then that’s fair, no argument there.  I was talking as players in totality, club success and form included.

I am. We've seen their (considerable) upside in club play but I don't think anyone on the pitch Thursday has proven as capable an international as Donovan was, even to the end when he was clearly at less than the peak of his powers. It's a different game that requires a different approach and style.

My hope is as this group ages, McKennie, Pulisic, Adams, Reyna, and the rest will be our golden generation, hopefully peaking on home soil in 2026. I'm fine with waiting a bit for them to realize that potential.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3503 on: September 05, 2021, 02:29:23 PM »
What's happening in Brazil today is nuts.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3504 on: September 05, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »
McKennie's off the field issues now showing up in both Turin and the National Team squad. He's on thin ice and not an understatement to say his career is at a crossroads.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3505 on: September 05, 2021, 06:47:55 PM »
McKennie's off the field issues now showing up in both Turin and the National Team squad. He's on thin ice and not an understatement to say his career is at a crossroads.

That is an insane exaggeration and overstatement. By all accounts this violation this week is breaking COVID protocol.  Not a great look and some immaturity but not some gargantuan red flag.  And his “off the field issues” in Turin? He had a party, which wouldn’t have been an issue other than COVID restrictions.  He’s scarcely the only person, much less athlete, who has been caught congregating with too many people over the last year.  His neighbor who called the police even went out of his way to say he was a good guy and a consummate pro otherwise.  Not like he was Balotelli throwing ragers and setting off fireworks.

He’s leaving Juve cause they brought Allegri back in who wants his own guys. If Pirlo was still there he’s still in the regular XI. And even so, he has no shortage of high level suitors.  And he’s one of the young stars for the US.  He’ll get a talking to and move on.  Guys across the world are getting drunk driving violations, domestic problems, fighting in Mykonos like Harry McGuire, and their careers aren’t affected.  WK’s situation is less severe than all of that.

I’m not excusing it and it’s the last distraction they need right now, but calling his career at a crossroads and thin ice after minor curfew violations, after the last 12-18 months he’s had, is some serious pearl clutching

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3506 on: September 05, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »
Pretty uninspired 180 minutes so far, fears that my initial evaluation about Gregg may be correct...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3507 on: September 05, 2021, 09:56:22 PM »
Draw at El Salvador is fine. Draw at home against Canada? That's a unnatural carnal knowledgeing disaster. Terrible sub management. Too long for Pulisic and Aaronson. No creativity. Poor free kick attempts from too far out. Honduras is now a must win game.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3508 on: September 05, 2021, 10:08:21 PM »
That is an insane exaggeration and overstatement. By all accounts this violation this week is breaking COVID protocol.  Not a great look and some immaturity but not some gargantuan red flag.  And his “off the field issues” in Turin? He had a party, which wouldn’t have been an issue other than COVID restrictions.  He’s scarcely the only person, much less athlete, who has been caught congregating with too many people over the last year.  His neighbor who called the police even went out of his way to say he was a good guy and a consummate pro otherwise.  Not like he was Balotelli throwing ragers and setting off fireworks.

He’s leaving Juve cause they brought Allegri back in who wants his own guys. If Pirlo was still there he’s still in the regular XI. And even so, he has no shortage of high level suitors.  And he’s one of the young stars for the US.  He’ll get a talking to and move on.  Guys across the world are getting drunk driving violations, domestic problems, fighting in Mykonos like Harry McGuire, and their careers aren’t affected.  WK’s situation is less severe than all of that.

I’m not excusing it and it’s the last distraction they need right now, but calling his career at a crossroads and thin ice after minor curfew violations, after the last 12-18 months he’s had, is some serious pearl clutching

It's not. There's a reason Juve's only concrete option for dumping him last week was Burnley.

Allegri isn't itching to get rid of Ramsey, Rabiot, Betancur, Bernadeschi or any of the other inherited competitors for McKennie. And that's all before Locatelli takes his rightful place as a starter. McKennie's talent isn't at a level to overcome being anything other than a boring member of the squad.

A "minor violation" suggests a lack of maturity at that time. Repeating the "minor violations" suggests an overall immaturity. Especially given the when/where/why of it all. His crossroads is not dropping out of the game. His crossroads is whether he has it off the field to stay at one of the largest clubs in Europe or if he finds his level decidedly below that. We've got three months until we find the answer. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3509 on: September 05, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
This is not going well.

Let's hope this young crew performs better and is coached better for 2026

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3510 on: September 05, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »
Ummm... I would much rather have McKennie actually play at Aston Villa (most recent rumored destination) than sit on the bench at Juve. You dont have to be at a huge club, getting meaningful minutes is more important.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3511 on: September 05, 2021, 10:50:25 PM »
Pretty uninspired 180 minutes so far, fears that my initial evaluation about Gregg may be correct...

5 years to judge.

What a disjointed mess.  I know there are a lot of untimely injuries, but the lineup choices and substitution patterns are head scratching.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3512 on: September 05, 2021, 11:04:32 PM »
It's not. There's a reason Juve's only concrete option for dumping him last week was Burnley.

Allegri isn't itching to get rid of Ramsey, Rabiot, Betancur, Bernadeschi or any of the other inherited competitors for McKennie. And that's all before Locatelli takes his rightful place as a starter. McKennie's talent isn't at a level to overcome being anything other than a boring member of the squad.

A "minor violation" suggests a lack of maturity at that time. Repeating the "minor violations" suggests an overall immaturity. Especially given the when/where/why of it all. His crossroads is not dropping out of the game. His crossroads is whether he has it off the field to stay at one of the largest clubs in Europe or if he finds his level decidedly below that. We've got three months until we find the answer.

They have a very high value on him. It’s not like he’s being offered at a fire sale price with no takers. Bayern has sniffed around, Spurs, multiple other EPL teams, and now Villa is hot to trot.

And those “inherited” competitors…all played for Allegri before Pirlo took over. McKennie was not. Apples to oranges. It’s not like Allegri is a random external manager.

You’re clearly find these violations to be concerning and VERY egregious, which is fine, but seems a bit reactionary.  If you honestly think nobody wanted WK cause he had a party during COVID, well I don’t know what to tell you.  Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood got sent home from international play for breaking protocol.  Nobody is doubting their future.  You’re basically the only person I’ve seen that considers McKennie some flashing red flag.  He’s 22, just came off a season playing big minutes and contributing for a Champions League club and has a rep as a worker.  The idea that he’s radioactive cause of one minor incident that was barely a story outside of Turin is wild.  Bet you also think college basketball players who get underage drinking tickets aren’t mature enough to ever contribute at a high level

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3513 on: September 06, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »
McKennie being sent back to Italy.

And no, his career isn't on thin ice. He did something dumb and is suffering the consequences of that, but he's 23 years old, very talented and will continue to find a home both in a top-flight European league and the USMNT.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3514 on: September 06, 2021, 05:46:36 PM »
They have a very high value on him. It’s not like he’s being offered at a fire sale price with no takers. Bayern has sniffed around, Spurs, multiple other EPL teams, and now Villa is hot to trot.

And those “inherited” competitors…all played for Allegri before Pirlo took over. McKennie was not. Apples to oranges. It’s not like Allegri is a random external manager.

You’re clearly find these violations to be concerning and VERY egregious, which is fine, but seems a bit reactionary.  If you honestly think nobody wanted WK cause he had a party during COVID, well I don’t know what to tell you.  Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood got sent home from international play for breaking protocol.  Nobody is doubting their future.  You’re basically the only person I’ve seen that considers McKennie some flashing red flag.  He’s 22, just came off a season playing big minutes and contributing for a Champions League club and has a rep as a worker.  The idea that he’s radioactive cause of one minor incident that was barely a story outside of Turin is wild.  Bet you also think college basketball players who get underage drinking tickets aren’t mature enough to ever contribute at a high level

When people like Nicky Bandini, Gab Marcotti, Lars Sivirtsen and Julien Laurens openly talk about McKennie's attitude and behavior not being appreciated at Juventus and people like Jeff Carlisle and Grant Wahl describe his behavior this weekend as "inexcusable", "egregious", and "calls into question what he's really about" it makes clear I'm not the only person who sees his indiscipline being an issue.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3515 on: September 08, 2021, 10:03:57 PM »
Bye Gregg

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3516 on: September 08, 2021, 10:33:16 PM »
Pathetic half, really hope we only have 45 more minutes of Gregg.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3517 on: September 08, 2021, 11:23:17 PM »
Far from convinced that we were the better team over the 90 but we were clinical when it mattered, and I did say 5 points was acceptable. However, next window with 2 home games and still no Mexico, 7 points will be the bar.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3518 on: September 08, 2021, 11:31:50 PM »
Bye Gregg

Credit to the guy for getting everything right in the 2nd half.

Of course, had he just started with that formation and those players in those spots...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3519 on: September 08, 2021, 11:37:16 PM »
Far from convinced that we were the better team over the 90 but we were clinical when it mattered, and I did say 5 points was acceptable. However, next window with 2 home games and still no Mexico, 7 points will be the bar.

Oh, they were the way better team. First half was crap, but they far outclassed Honduras over the 90.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3520 on: September 08, 2021, 11:42:57 PM »
What a match from Pepi! Was involved in all 4 goals: 1 goal, 2 assists, and this close to a brace, with Lletget cleaning up the rebound.

Hopefully the team can get healthy for the next window.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3521 on: September 08, 2021, 11:56:12 PM »
Oh, they were the way better team. First half was crap, but they far outclassed Honduras over the 90.

Credit to our finishing, we poured it on the last 15, but we were lucky not to be down 2 at half, and until we took the lead in the 75th we really only had one chance.  Think a draw would have been the fair result, but certainly won't complain with stealing three on the road.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3522 on: September 09, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
Awful first half, but what Berhalter did best in his summer run was using subs to adjust to opponents. Had he done that in the first two, we'd be on 7 or even 9 points, but this was enough to justifiably keep his job (though his brother wasn't likely firing him regardless).

I think he needs 6 from the next window to feel like we're back, though health may play in. Should be two very winnable home games, and anything 0-1 or better is acceptable at Panama. If he can get 7 or 9, it would feel like we're nearly through.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3523 on: September 09, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
Berhalter and McKennie should be buying Pepi every meal in their collective near future together. The kid saved their ass.

Berhalter got a lot more wrong in this window than he got right and the first half last night will be an anchor he won't get rid of as easy as he'd like. Mind boggling decisions include moving Adams out of the middle when you don't have the services of McKennie, not starting Aaronson, not starting ARob, and keeping Sands on for the second half.

McKennie breathed a sigh of relief once we got the Pepi spark. We were overrun in the middle and were weak-willed from the start and that kind of game begs for a player like McKennie. If Honduras hangs on or the US scratches a draw the focus would be squarely on McKennie's transgressions that lead to his dismissal from the camp thus leaving a gaping hole where he would normally be placed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3524 on: September 09, 2021, 12:16:37 PM »
Berhalter and McKennie should be buying Pepi every meal in their collective near future together. The kid saved their ass.

Berhalter got a lot more wrong in this window than he got right and the first half last night will be an anchor he won't get rid of as easy as he'd like. Mind boggling decisions include moving Adams out of the middle when you don't have the services of McKennie, not starting Aaronson, not starting ARob, and keeping Sands on for the second half.

McKennie breathed a sigh of relief once we got the Pepi spark. We were overrun in the middle and were weak-willed from the start and that kind of game begs for a player like McKennie. If Honduras hangs on or the US scratches a draw the focus would be squarely on McKennie's transgressions that lead to his dismissal from the camp thus leaving a gaping hole where he would normally be placed.

This is just not true.  I know it's a drum you like to bang on, but anything other than three points, and all the headlines are about Gregg, full stop.  The starting XI, the tactics (or lack thereof until the second half), his future, everything.  McKennie would barely be a footnote.  The fact that even with the three points you have people saying that he saved his job in the second half just proves it even more.

feedback