[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803352 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2550 on: August 28, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3930312/pulisic-leads-usmnt-roster-destpomykal-called-up

September friendlies roster.  Dest, Pomykal, and Sargent all there, and more importantly no Bradley.  Unfortunately Ream and Zardes made it, hopefully they won't see any game time.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2551 on: August 28, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3930312/pulisic-leads-usmnt-roster-destpomykal-called-up

September friendlies roster.  Dest, Pomykal, and Sargent all there, and more importantly no Bradley.  Unfortunately Ream and Zardes made it, hopefully they won't see any game time.

Bradley is a solid leader. Don't mind his inclusion in the next few camps, but doesn't need the playing time.

Along with Ream and Zardes, I'd include Trapp and Morris

Excited for the young talent.

Thoughts on Nagbe telling Berhalter "no" multiple times?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2552 on: August 28, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »
Bolton survives, at least- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/28/bolton-wanderers-football-ventures-takeover

It's sad to see clubs like Bolton, Pompey, etc. go through this. It can even happen to the big boys, Liverpool were on the brink of administration before John Henry bought them.

I think any discussions to prevent these situations have to start with better vetting of ownership groups, and some sort of shared revenue system from the PL down.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2553 on: August 28, 2019, 03:38:31 PM »
Bradley is a solid leader. Don't mind his inclusion in the next few camps, but doesn't need the playing time.

Along with Ream and Zardes, I'd include Trapp and Morris

Excited for the young talent.

Thoughts on Nagbe telling Berhalter "no" multiple times?

Totally agree.  Trapp is fine as camp and bench support, but he doesn't need to be taking minutes away from all the potential in the midfield.

Jordan Morris I'm completely done with as well.  His decision about Werder Bremen told me all I needed about his potential. He wanted to play in the familiar and safe surroundings of his hometown, thats great, but between that and injury, he's plateaued.  He'll be a productive MLS player for years, but again, there is so much exciting talent that is out there cutting their teeth against the world's best, not feasting on lesser competition in MLS.  Next man up.

Bolton survives, at least- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/28/bolton-wanderers-football-ventures-takeover

It's sad to see clubs like Bolton, Pompey, etc. go through this. It can even happen to the big boys, Liverpool were on the brink of administration before John Henry bought them.

I think any discussions to prevent these situations have to start with better vetting of ownership groups, and some sort of shared revenue system from the PL down.

Any potential owners need to be willing to invest.  Hopefully, over time the clubs become self sufficient, but too many owners try to do things on the cheap for any number of reasons.  Success is the biggest revenue driver, especially in this day and age.  The pre-Henry admin was notoriously stingy.  You don't have to splash money like PSG or Man City, but make investments in your club, in marketing, in fan experience.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: August 28, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
Re. Morris and Trapp, I guess I only partly agree. I don't think Trapp will or should have a spot nailed down in the starting XI. However, if you need someone to come into the midfield and work hard for 30 minutes to help kill off a game, I think he can fill that role fine.

I'm not yet ready to write off Morris just yet. Coming back from and injury like that even once you're %100, it still takes some more time to really get fully back.  The fact that he wouldn't/wont go to Europe frustrates me, and he'll never reach his full potential here in the states, but even without reaching his ceiling I think he's good enough for a place in the squad (at least for now).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2555 on: August 28, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »
Champions league group stage draw is tomorrow.

A fun little simulator:
https://draw.inker.one/#/cl/gs

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2556 on: August 28, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »

Sargent and Ream are both from St. Louis. I would be surprised if both didn't play there v Uruguay.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2557 on: August 28, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
What’s funny about Ream is that he had been so solid for Fulham over the years, but hasn’t really been great for the US.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2558 on: August 28, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »
Re. Morris and Trapp, I guess I only partly agree. I don't think Trapp will or should have a spot nailed down in the starting XI. However, if you need someone to come into the midfield and work hard for 30 minutes to help kill off a game, I think he can fill that role fine.

I'm not yet ready to write off Morris just yet. Coming back from and injury like that even once you're %100, it still takes some more time to really get fully back.  The fact that he wouldn't/wont go to Europe frustrates me, and he'll never reach his full potential here in the states, but even without reaching his ceiling I think he's good enough for a place in the squad (at least for now).

I'd rather have Bradley in that role.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2559 on: August 28, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »
I'd rather have Bradley in that role.

He wont be around for Qatar to play that role so why waste minutes on him now?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2560 on: August 29, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »

I don't disagree on Trapp.  Thats sort of what I meant. He's a reliable sub, I just don't want to see him starting or being a key component.

Your last sentence sums up my feelings on Morris.  He's never going to reach full potential, and he appears fine with that.  He'll be 27/28 by Qatar.  Not ancient, but not youngish.  Id rather see more out of Weah, Novakovich, Amon, hell id rather have Arriola on the wing, cause I think he moves abroad this winter.

If you're talking 24 year old forwards, I want Tyler Boyd getting minutes 10/10 times over Morris

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2561 on: September 02, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
Disappointed to see USMNT forward and one-time Marquette commit Andrija Novakovich leave Reading FC today. The Muskego native is headed to Serie B side Frosinone.

Despite two highly successful loan spells, Novakovich never caught on at Reading. The addition of two strikers in the window likely ended any hopes he had of breaking into the starting eleven.

Hoping he gets more time in Italy, really wish it would've worked at my favorite club.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2562 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
Disappointed to see USMNT forward and one-time Marquette commit Andrija Novakovich leave Reading FC today. The Muskego native is headed to Serie B side Frosinone.

Despite two highly successful loan spells, Novakovich never caught on at Reading. The addition of two strikers in the window likely ended any hopes he had of breaking into the starting eleven.

Hoping he gets more time in Italy, really wish it would've worked at my favorite club.

You obviously know more than me, as its your club, but it just smacks of new manager, so he wants "his guys".  They brought in Joao and Puscas on transfer.  Shipped out their second leading scorer up top, and sent off Novakovich after he returned from loan.  Puscas has started nicely, but he certainly wasn't setting the world on fire before they brought him in.  And Joao is just a bit more experienced.  Seems like Novakovich could have led the Eredivisie in scoring while on loan and it wouldn't have mattered.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2563 on: September 03, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »
New Spurs 3rd kit is nice

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2564 on: September 03, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Copying the champions color scheme won't make you play like them.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2565 on: September 03, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »

I think they are sharp.  Personally found the 3rd last year to be dreadful.

Really like Liverpool's 3rd this year.  Might snag a top for myself.  Their aways are clean and reminiscint of England's but, don't do much for me.  Anything is better than the purple people eaters last year.  Wish they would return to the more historical yellow away kits.

I'm personally a big fan of rotating, completely off the wall away kits.  Its a cool juxtaposition as so many of the English kits are rooted in very cool classic looks.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2566 on: September 03, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
I think they are sharp.  Personally found the 3rd last year to be dreadful.

Really like Liverpool's 3rd this year.  Might snag a top for myself.  Their aways are clean and reminiscint of England's but, don't do much for me.  Anything is better than the purple people eaters last year.  Wish they would return to the more historical yellow away kits.

I'm personally a big fan of rotating, completely off the wall away kits.  Its a cool juxtaposition as so many of the English kits are rooted in very cool classic looks.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever seen a third kit that I've liked.  Everybody either just goes way to far over the top with it on a weird level (West Brom, Barnsley) or does something so simple it looks boring.

Both Athletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund always have really clean kits, and I also really like West Ham's this year too.  Also whenever anybody does a throwback that doesn't have a sponsorship on the front it turns out really well done (City in the Community Shield or Huddersfield for example).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2567 on: September 03, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever seen a third kit that I've liked.  Everybody either just goes way to far over the top with it on a weird level (West Brom, Barnsley) or does something so simple it looks boring.

Both Athletico Madrid and Borussia Dortmund always have really clean kits, and I also really like West Ham's this year too.  Also whenever anybody does a throwback that doesn't have a sponsorship on the front it turns out really well done (City in the Community Shield or Huddersfield for example).

Isn't the Barnsley 3rd just a half and half?  The style of their away kit but with the traditional red and white?  I feel like thats not very over the top.  The West Brom magic eye ones suck, i agree there.

I prefer an away that is a solid color with a contrasting accent.  Some are good, some are odd.  As long as they don't use their traditional rivals colors in some way, im good.  Thirds all depend for me.  I like when a club uses black if its not a traditional color for them (like LFC does) or something neon that is bizarre enough to work.  I think as long as its a 50/50 split, the club is happy.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2568 on: September 03, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »
Isn't the Barnsley 3rd just a half and half?  The style of their away kit but with the traditional red and white?  I feel like thats not very over the top.  The West Brom magic eye ones suck, i agree there.

Yep, my bad.  I saw a terribly over the top design and just assumed it was their third, when it's actually their away.
https://www.barnsleyfcdirect.co.uk/#

I prefer an away that is a solid color with a contrasting accent.  Some are good, some are odd.  As long as they don't use their traditional rivals colors in some way, im good.  Thirds all depend for me.  I like when a club uses black if its not a traditional color for them (like LFC does) or something neon that is bizarre enough to work.  I think as long as its a 50/50 split, the club is happy.

I think an away depends on your color scheme.  For example, Crystal Palace has a similar style with their home and away, red and blue vertical stripes, just add black for the away, and they both look really good.  Wolves have a solid set this year too because they kept the orange and black and just switched the hierarchy.  When your color scheme goes too far from the original (Everton, Southampton, Norwich) it just looks bad.

The good.
https://shop.cpfc.co.uk/# (also props to their retro one)
https://shop.wolves.co.uk/

The bad.
https://evertondirect.evertonfc.com/stores/everton/en/c/football-kits/away-kit (Angry Birds also has to be the worst sleeve sponsor ever)
https://store.saintsfc.co.uk/Product/ProductItem?id=0000-17282
https://shop.canaries.co.uk/kit/away-kit/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2569 on: September 03, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
You obviously know more than me, as its your club, but it just smacks of new manager, so he wants "his guys".  They brought in Joao and Puscas on transfer.  Shipped out their second leading scorer up top, and sent off Novakovich after he returned from loan.  Puscas has started nicely, but he certainly wasn't setting the world on fire before they brought him in.  And Joao is just a bit more experienced.  Seems like Novakovich could have led the Eredivisie in scoring while on loan and it wouldn't have mattered.

I don't disagree. He would've fit well for Jaap Stam or Paul Clement (well, stylistically, I'm not sure anyone fit well under Clement) but Gomes is focused on pace and passing. Nova's highlight reel was excellent and the success of Marcus Hahnemann, Bobby Convey, Danny Williams, and Matt Miazga had me optimistic another American could break through at the Madejski.

To be fair, both Joao and Puscas have been impressive since their arrival, so I wasn't surprised to see him leave. Especially considering that he's still young and has value (and probably a healthy sell-on clause). I'm sure it's the best for all involved, but I really wanted another American at Reading.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2570 on: September 03, 2019, 03:56:16 PM »
I became quite fond of Liverpool's orange kit two years ago when they started demolishing the opposition in it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2571 on: September 03, 2019, 05:35:12 PM »
Yep, my bad.  I saw a terribly over the top design and just assumed it was their third, when it's actually their away.
https://www.barnsleyfcdirect.co.uk/#

I think an away depends on your color scheme.  For example, Crystal Palace has a similar style with their home and away, red and blue vertical stripes, just add black for the away, and they both look really good.  Wolves have a solid set this year too because they kept the orange and black and just switched the hierarchy.  When your color scheme goes too far from the original (Everton, Southampton, Norwich) it just looks bad.

The good.
https://shop.cpfc.co.uk/# (also props to their retro one)
https://shop.wolves.co.uk/

The bad.
https://evertondirect.evertonfc.com/stores/everton/en/c/football-kits/away-kit (Angry Birds also has to be the worst sleeve sponsor ever)
https://store.saintsfc.co.uk/Product/ProductItem?id=0000-17282
https://shop.canaries.co.uk/kit/away-kit/

Visit Rwanda would like to disagree with your angry birds worst ever assessment.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: September 03, 2019, 08:01:26 PM »
Visit Rwanda would like to disagree with your angry birds worst ever assessment.

And Western Union can help send the cash the deposed prince of Rwanda asked for in that email.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2573 on: September 03, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Rwanda is actually a pretty safe place. Perhaps the safest in Africa. A lot of eco-tourism.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2574 on: September 04, 2019, 12:29:56 AM »
Rwanda is actually a pretty safe place. Perhaps the safest in Africa. A lot of eco-tourism.

I’d argue Botswana. Kind of the shining example of politicians stability and economic development in Africa over the last few decades. I have colleagues who say they feel safer there than India and most of Asia. But Rwanda has been pretty remarkable in turning the country around since the genocide.

feedback