[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799951 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2750 on: April 21, 2020, 12:00:12 AM »
Hughes lasted a season. After his first year, they splashed on Toure, Tevez, and others and they sacked him before Christmas for Mancini.

I agree about Poch and even if not Allegri, no chance it’s Bilic. That’s a sensible hire for a new owner to make for a low level PL club. These guys want to make a splash and hiring the dude who last finished 11th in the Prem and couldn’t keep Payet happy and crashed out of Europa to a Romanian club. It’s gonna be a big name manager

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2751 on: April 21, 2020, 08:05:33 AM »
I mean, define "big name" then, because I think that Bilic would actually do a pretty good job when there's going to be a transition period to a different type of talent that they can now attract.  You can't "crash out of Europe" unless you get to Europe, which accomplishing with West Ham is no small feat, and I don't think you can pin the Payet thing on him, when there is literally nothing anyone could have done.  There's rumors that Roberto Martinez may be available after the Euro's, is he a big name?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2752 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:54 AM »
Cmon...Newcastle isn't going to fire Steve Bruce, who is actually doing a decent job this year, to hire Slaven Bilic.  Seriously, you think these Saudis are using their money to hire the manager of West Brom???

They'll go after a big name.  Maybe PSG will sack Tuchel.  Maybe they'll go after Favre at Dortmund.  Really is going to depend on how they want to play.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2753 on: April 21, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
Cmon...Newcastle isn't going to fire Steve Bruce, who is actually doing a decent job this year, to hire Slaven Bilic.  Seriously, you think these Saudis are using their money to hire the manager of West Brom???

They'll go after a big name.  Maybe PSG will sack Tuchel.  Maybe they'll go after Favre at Dortmund.  Really is going to depend on how they want to play.

Read the first sentence of my post.  I think Bruce will stay too.  I was saying that "if" they fire him, Bilic could be a target.  Any managerial change will be coming in the next couple of weeks, so you can automatically rule out any manager that is still in the Champions League, as that was announced to resume in August.  So no Tuchel, no Sarri, no Gasperini (who I also think would do a good job), no Nagelsmann etc. 

While Newcastle will be able to spend more money this upcoming window, don't expect any major overhauls until Covid passes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2754 on: May 06, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »
Bundesliga starting up May 15 or 22 with no fans.

Live sports besides Korean baseball!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2755 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:01 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/liga-mx-cancels-clausura-2020-season-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic-a-champion-will-not-be-crowned-in-mexico/

Liga MX canceled.  Looking likely that any MLS play will just be an Orlando tournament.  Things might have changed, but I thought that UEFA had a deadline of the 25th for leagues to present their plans to finish the season, and it doesn't really look like the Premier League is any closer to agreeing on a plan than they were a few weeks ago.  Players don't want to train/play because they don't think it is safe enough, teams can't decide on whether games can be played on neutral sites.  Will be interesting to see what developments happen and how hard that May 25th deadline really is.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2756 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2757 on: June 20, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
Chris Richards came on in the 84th minute for Bayern. He’s a true home grown American out of FC Dallas’ academy, not a Fabian Johnson/John Brooks situation. Pretty exciting, already has more appearances than Julian Green  :o  That plus an assist for Gio Reyna. Nice day in the Bundesliga for the USMNT

panda

• All American
« Reply #2758 on: June 20, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »
Chris Richards came on in the 84th minute for Bayern. He’s a true home grown American out of FC Dallas’ academy, not a Fabian Johnson/John Brooks situation. Pretty exciting, already has more appearances than Julian Green  :o  That plus an assist for Gio Reyna. Nice day in the Bundesliga for the USMNT

The amount of games in a short amount of time will give lots of opportunities to youngsters. Hopefully he can take advantage of the opportunity.

I really like his game.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2759 on: June 25, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/4120951/australianew-zealand-win-bid-to-host-2023-womens-world-cup

Australia and New Zealand to host 2023 WWC.  Gonna suck for anyone that wants to watch live, but 100% the right decision given the countries bidding.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2760 on: June 25, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/4120951/australianew-zealand-win-bid-to-host-2023-womens-world-cup

Australia and New Zealand to host 2023 WWC.  Gonna suck for anyone that wants to watch live, but 100% the right decision given the countries bidding.

I have many years experience watching Australian Open Tennis. It would be good time zone practice viewing for the World Cup.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2761 on: June 25, 2020, 03:02:51 PM »
Christian Pulisic on the board today for Chelsea v Manchester City:

https://twitter.com/nbcsportssoccer/status/1276243034859077632

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2762 on: June 25, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
Christian Pulisic on the board today for Chelsea v Manchester City:

https://twitter.com/nbcsportssoccer/status/1276243034859077632

That hesitation was FILTHY

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2763 on: June 26, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
I mean, this is pretty cool even if you're not a fan of Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEthsO7T7w
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2764 on: June 26, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
I mean, this is pretty cool even if you're not a fan of Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEthsO7T7w

I’ve never in my life had a coach of a team I support that I love more than Klopp. Never thought a German could embody a club like Liverpool, but he does. His interview yesterday was perfect. Understated and respectful calling out the Liverpool legends before him, quietly smiling and letting Daglish have his moment rambling in his kitchen. The most PAINFUL part of this title is not being able to see Klopp celebrate on the touchline fist pumping and hugging everyone.  He has a CL title and now broke the EPL drought. I hope he doesn’t get bored and look for the next challenge like so many managers, I hope he becomes the next Ferguson or Wenger.

Incredible video, saw it earlier but so glad to watch again.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2765 on: July 02, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/footballiceland/status/1278347367268470790

Crest is pretty meh IMO, but this announcement video is truly outstanding.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2766 on: July 02, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »
Spurs are making me sad the Premiere League ever returned.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2767 on: July 02, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
Spurs are making me sad the Premiere League ever returned.

Not that I am a fan (a couple of close friends are) but did Arsenal get the memo games are back on?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2768 on: July 02, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
Not that I am a fan (a couple of close friends are) but did Arsenal get the memo games are back on?

Took them awhile but did win 4-0 yesterday.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2769 on: July 02, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/footballiceland/status/1278347367268470790

Crest is pretty meh IMO, but this announcement video is truly outstanding.

I actually love the crest. I’d expect nothing less from a country that has an epic Viking clap at matches.

Pretty incredible that a country that wouldn’t been be a top 50 city in the US by population, with a very mediocre Domestic league, has created a very legit national squad

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2770 on: July 02, 2020, 03:40:21 PM »
I actually love the crest. I’d expect nothing less from a country that has an epic Viking clap at matches.

Pretty incredible that a country that wouldn’t been be a top 50 city in the US by population, with a very mediocre Domestic league, has created a very legit national squad

great video (created by their Keeper) and I love that crest since it represents Icelandic mythology and culture.

I don't think they have staying power. This is a golden generation for them. That Euro run was awesome though. As a fan of the Three Lions, I was totally ok with Iceland beating them because it's freaking Iceland.

They do have a strong women's league, however.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2771 on: July 02, 2020, 03:42:09 PM »

I worded it poorly, it's not necessarily the style of artwork that throws me off, it's more of the fact that I have no clue why someone would make a crest featuring a Bull, Dragon, Eagle, and Giant.  Any Norse experts out there that can provide some background?

I don't mind crests that feature animals, although Eagles are overdone IMO.  The "Don't Tread On Me" themed one with the timber rattler for the US is probably my all time favorite.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2772 on: July 02, 2020, 03:43:58 PM »
Took them awhile but did win 4-0 yesterday.

yeah, but over Norwich.

Leicester is driving me crazy and possibly losing their remaining home games due to the COVID spike in the city may leave them out of Europe.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2773 on: July 02, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »
I worded it poorly, it's not necessarily the style of artwork that throws me off, it's more of the fact that I have no clue why someone would make a crest featuring a Bull, Dragon, Eagle, and Giant.  Any Norse experts out there that can provide some background?

In Icelandic lore, the island is protected by 4 “landvættir” and they are....a Bull, a Dragon, an Eagle, and a Giant.

It honestly predates the start of lions as the national symbol of England.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2774 on: July 02, 2020, 04:41:03 PM »

They've won three of their five matches since the restart.

If that is them "asleep" I'd hate to see what they do when awake and ready. 

feedback