[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788107 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2425 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
Yea the only takeaways I would focus on is that McKennie said it "was looking good" when asked about a quick recovery time for his hamstring, and that after he missed that chance in the 89th minute Boyd was walking very gingerly (looked like a problem with his foot).  Usual lack of ruthlessness in the final third, but take the three points, and a healthy squad and focus on T+T.  At least we didn't go full Argentina and have our entire game plan be give the ball to Lionel Pulisic and tell him to make something happen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2426 on: June 19, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
We seem to be enamored with strikers past their prime. Zardes is just the latest in the line of Wondo, Eddie Johnson, Ching, Conor Casey, & others.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2427 on: June 19, 2019, 10:26:13 AM »
Zardes stinks.

Is mckennie good?

STINKS. Zardes is one of those guys who came up through the MLS academy and they all knew well and thought he had tons of potential, and he's been riding it forever, despite never being a reliable finisher, or player in general.

McKennie is good and will keep getting better.  He had a weird season at Schalke this year cause they went into disarray.  Hopefully with Wagner coming in, he will continue to grow and excel.

We seem to be enamored with strikers past their prime. Zardes is just the latest in the line of Wondo, Eddie Johnson, Ching, Conor Casey, & others.

And what do they all have in common?  They were toiling around in the MLS when they were getting run well past when they should.  Safe, easily monitored, "comfortable" domestic players.  Its a toxic mentality and I think it will prevent the US from ever really excelling, until we get past it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2428 on: June 19, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
And what do they all have in common?  They were toiling around in the MLS when they were getting run well past when they should.  Safe, easily monitored, "comfortable" domestic players.  Its a toxic mentality and I think it will prevent the US from ever really excelling, until we get past it.

Electing Carlos Cordeiro was a mistake.

Arena & Bradley were fine tacticians, but neither were very exciting in their roles. They kept things stable, kept us as a top-20 or so side, good enough to get out of the groups at the World Cup & be one of the best in CONCACAF, but never good enough to get past that level.

Klinsmann was...well, he wasn't a good coach. He wasn't a good man manager & not a particularly good tactician. But by American standards, he had ideas. He had a vision. The problem was Gulati wanted the name without a willingness to transform to the vision that name wanted. Klinsmann would have been better taking over a developmental role. Recruiting players & overseeing a long-term vision. After 2014, he should've been moved upstairs into a role like the one Earnie Stewart took.

I really hoped Stewart would be a change-maker, and maybe he will be, but it feels like Cordeiro is just going to maintain the Gulati status quo. MLS-centered rosters, hope to have a star or two to keep the masses attention, never good enough to take us over the top. As a long-time Cubs fan, this feels like the 1990s Cubs when they had Sammy Sosa. Sure, his home runs kept the fans coming out (like Donovan, Dempsey, Pulisic) but they were never a serious threat to win the World Series. Just like a USMNT that is stagnant with one good player or two will never be good enough to win a World Cup.

Maybe I am being too hard on Berhalter after a couple tough friendlies, but this feels like the end of the Bradley era all over again, only with lesser tactics.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2429 on: June 20, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
Electing Carlos Cordeiro was a mistake.

Arena & Bradley were fine tacticians, but neither were very exciting in their roles. They kept things stable, kept us as a top-20 or so side, good enough to get out of the groups at the World Cup & be one of the best in CONCACAF, but never good enough to get past that level.

Klinsmann was...well, he wasn't a good coach. He wasn't a good man manager & not a particularly good tactician. But by American standards, he had ideas. He had a vision. The problem was Gulati wanted the name without a willingness to transform to the vision that name wanted. Klinsmann would have been better taking over a developmental role. Recruiting players & overseeing a long-term vision. After 2014, he should've been moved upstairs into a role like the one Earnie Stewart took.

I really hoped Stewart would be a change-maker, and maybe he will be, but it feels like Cordeiro is just going to maintain the Gulati status quo. MLS-centered rosters, hope to have a star or two to keep the masses attention, never good enough to take us over the top. As a long-time Cubs fan, this feels like the 1990s Cubs when they had Sammy Sosa. Sure, his home runs kept the fans coming out (like Donovan, Dempsey, Pulisic) but they were never a serious threat to win the World Series. Just like a USMNT that is stagnant with one good player or two will never be good enough to win a World Cup.

Maybe I am being too hard on Berhalter after a couple tough friendlies, but this feels like the end of the Bradley era all over again, only with lesser tactics.

#10-15yearstojudge, hey?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: June 21, 2019, 08:42:21 AM »
I'd just like to take a minute to point out what a sh!t show Man U is right now.  No Champions League, (reportedly) only 100 mil transfer budget, three best * players want out, biggest transfer flop in recent history going nowhere because he's getting paid 500K a week to sit on the bench, pretty divided opinion on if Ole can get the job done (personally I don't see it).  I'd be extremely nervous if I were Ed Woodward.

*technically subjective term, but widely accepted

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2431 on: June 22, 2019, 08:59:24 PM »
Tonight was by far the best this team has looked under Berhalter. They were aggressive early & even before the goals (6 of them) started to come they looked good.

Boyd looks like a real player. Pulisic started slow but really found his groove & had the ball on a string. Steffen had some good saves. Even Gyasi Zardes had a really well taken goal (his second was impressive). And it could've been far worse for T&T. 6-0, but 2 off the crossbar & Marvin Philip made some really incredible saves to deny some goals.

Panama will be the first real test, but this was finally, after 6 matches, a performance under Berhalter that made me sit up and say "yes."

This won't completely silence critics (like me) but at least for tonight, I've got no real gripes.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2432 on: June 30, 2019, 09:42:15 PM »
So we're getting outplayed by Curacao now?  That second half was the worst we've looked since T+T, and worst we've been under Berhalter.  The Steffen save was truly world class, but other than that a whole lotta nothing.  Jamaica would have beaten the US tonight.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2433 on: June 30, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
I watched most of the first half (missed the goal in real time) and it was okay. They mostly controlled the early going, but couldn't get the breakthrough. Saw the start of the second and after the first couple minutes, it just looked like Curacao was the better side and we were the ones trying to hit on the counter. I missed the last 30 or so minutes, but it doesn't look like that got any better.

Not really sure what to say, they are very inconsistent. There's some talent there, some reasons for optimism, but I feel Berhalter is often a bit late to make the sub or adjust tactics. Surprised to see Zardes out there so late today because he didn't have it from the start. Should've gone to Altidore.

Oh well...I was looking forward more to 2026 anyway. Hopefully he'll be gone before then.

jesmu84

• All American

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2435 on: July 01, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
I'm totally shocked that a new coach in his first tournament playing a predominantly young team with little experience in tournament football is a wildly inconsistent situation.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2436 on: July 03, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Pre-rain delay, that was inspired soccer from the US. Jozy was made to play center forward under berhalter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2437 on: July 07, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
So...double championship day, or do the men fail to reach the women's standard? I'm expecting a USA loss.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2438 on: July 07, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
So...double championship day, or do the men fail to reach the women's standard? I'm expecting a USA loss.

100% expect a loss but I think as long as Jozy plays instead of Zardes we'll be competitive
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2439 on: July 07, 2019, 09:47:36 PM »
That was inevitable.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2440 on: July 07, 2019, 09:50:59 PM »
so is soldier field in mexico or US feels /sounds like a road game

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: July 07, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
The Mexican fans travel.  And their team is the aggressor.  Good way to shut them up is to outplay their team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2442 on: July 07, 2019, 10:02:30 PM »
so is soldier field in mexico or US feels /sounds like a road game

I attended the 2007 Gold Cup Final there and expected to be outnumbered 80-20. It was more like 97% Mexico fans. Columbus is the only stadium where we can reliably expect a pro-US crowd against Mexico.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2443 on: July 07, 2019, 10:04:49 PM »
US had opportunities.  Didn't finish.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2444 on: July 07, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
yep if altidore could have finished that first chance.  Much better than i thought it would go for this tournament after the poor showing in the friendlies before.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2445 on: July 07, 2019, 10:10:51 PM »
Great first half.

Mexico made 2H adjustments. US failed to adjust after that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2446 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:47 PM »
Disgraceful. The complete capitulation in the second half was pathetic. Until the last 5 minutes, the USA may as well have not taken the pitch in the second half.

Berhalter showed no ability to adjust to the pressure. Altidore had to come off, but Zardes continued to do nothing. How does Boyd, who was undoubtedly the most likely goal scorer on the bench, not get in?

A couple bright spots in the group stage, but otherwise a disappointing tournament with questionable selections and inadequate strategies.

I know it will seem harsh as Mexico was the favorite, but this is the judgment. Beat Mexico, win the Gold Cup, that's success. Anything less is failure. This was less. This was failure.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2447 on: July 07, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
Disgraceful. The complete capitulation in the second half was pathetic. Until the last 5 minutes, the USA may as well have not taken the pitch in the second half.

Berhalter showed no ability to adjust to the pressure. Altidore had to come off, but Zardes continued to do nothing. How does Boyd, who was undoubtedly the most likely goal scorer on the bench, not get in?

A couple bright spots in the group stage, but otherwise a disappointing tournament with questionable selections and inadequate strategies.

I know it will seem harsh as Mexico was the favorite, but this is the judgment. Beat Mexico, win the Gold Cup, that's success. Anything less is failure. This was less. This was failure.

::)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2448 on: July 07, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2449 on: July 07, 2019, 10:24:59 PM »
It's the conundrum of CONCACAF. Making a semifinal or final just doesn't have meaning. Mexico has won 4/6 Gold Cups and the Confederations playoff. We have plummeted in our Confederation in the last decade. There's no denying that and no denying that the only bar for success in a competition like this is a trophy.

feedback