Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Turgeon Hired at Maryland  (Read 15726 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Turgeon Hired at Maryland
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:07 PM »
"I will stay as long as Marquette will have me"

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »
Isn't there some $3.4 million buyout on Buzz's contract too?  So A&M would have to pay ~$6 million for Buzz just for next year if they want to match MU's salary.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:53 PM »
That's not a current quote...can't hold him to that old quote.  ...Separately however, Buzz signed the big extension had many new quotes about staying in which to choose...that are recent and current.  He isn't leaving for the Aggies at this time, so this is all mute. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »
..Meant "moot" ...(it's late.)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »
Meh...rumors will start. To get Buzz to leave, A&M would have to offer their basketball coach more than their football coach is currently making. In Texas. Right. Buzz isn't going anywhere.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
You miss the point.  I don't think he is going anywhere and will honor that quote and his recently signed contract

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »
Meh...rumors will start. To get Buzz to leave, A&M would have to offer their basketball coach more than their football coach is currently making. In Texas. Right. Buzz isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention I doubt they'd offer more than whatever it is Rick Barnes is making, what with the state running both schools.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
Do we even know that Buzz would want to go back to A&M. His name is naturally brought up, because he was an assistant there and has a lot of ties to Texas. Are people just assuming he wants to go back there?
His kids and wife have been here four years and seem to be happy here. One of the reasons Buzz's name was brought up for Oklahoma job was the fact that his wife was from that area. I feel confident that if Buzz's wife wanted to leave they would of left. After all if mama is unhappy, nobody's happy.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Buzz was also an assistant at Northwestern State (LA).  Should we be worried when their job opens up too?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
Buzz will not be going there.

1. Oklahoma is a better job closer to his actual hometown.  If he didn't bite there, he isn't biting at TAMU.  (And just because he was an assistant there doesn't mean that it is where he wants to be.)

2.  TAMU is a bad basketball school.  No tradition.  No real success to speak of.  Bad attendance.

3.  TAMU cannot afford Buzz.  They don't have the money that UT (or even Oklahoma) does.  They cannot pay him what MU is paying him plus the buy-out.  And as mentioned, they will not pay him more than the football coach.

4.  He would look like an enormous hypocrite if left now.  Five years from now?  Not so much.

I wouldn't worry about it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
(The buyout was high for his previous contract.  I don't recall ever hearing the buyout for his new contract, which should be substantially lower.  Anyone?)

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »
New article from Dallas.  Buzz is mentioned as the dream candidate, but at least the author realizes he isn't going there.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20110510-five-candidates-to-replace-mark-turgeon-at-texas-am.ece

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
(The buyout was high for his previous contract.  I don't recall ever hearing the buyout for his new contract, which should be substantially lower.  Anyone?)

I have no idea what the actual buyout number is, but I'd be disappointed if it was any lower.  It's common for the buyout to go down as the contract gets older.  He just signed this, so it better be high.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
New article from Dallas.  Buzz is mentioned as the dream candidate, but at least the author realizes he isn't going there.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20110510-five-candidates-to-replace-mark-turgeon-at-texas-am.ece

I almost hated to see Buzz' name mentioned in the same list as the others. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
Could get ugly. Might have to make a move for Phil Jackson.

If not Phil, then Doc!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »

If Buzz was smart, it would be a lot lower but none of those details have come to light.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »
If Buzz was smart, it would be a lot lower but none of those details have come to light.

... and Cottingham was stupid.

WisconsinAggie

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a Texas A&M alum who now works and resides in Madison.  Needless to say, I'm following my school's new coaching search very closely.  I'll be honest, Buzz sounds like a great coach that any school would be very fortunate to have.  Looking at the current college basketball landscape, I don't know if I could see a coach making the move from MU to A&M.  The Big East is easily the best conference, and Buzz has proven he can get your team to the tournament.  That being said, those that call Texas "home" always have the state in the back of our minds....

What do yall know about this tweet:

@richardjustice @TheBigLead Rumor has it Buzz has exemptions in his buyout for certain TX schools, A&M included.

To add to this possibility, consider that A&M is looking at a newly promised $20 mil a year from the latest Big 12 TV contract.  I think we can afford to increase salary levels for both our head football and basketball coaches (Mike Sherman deserves the raise IMO, and Turge already made $1.8 mil).

I'm not saying A&M will be able to steal Buzz, but I think MU fans should be a little antsy, just as A&M fans have been with BCG and now Turge.

I'll end by saying I wish you all the best.  It's no fun going through a search this time of year, and I regret that our predicament *could* negatively affect you.  Next year I will try to get over to Milwaukee to take in a game!  Love the Big East!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
So is Chicago the neutral meeting site?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »
The #2 job in Texas is Oklahoma.  A&M would have to considerably alter how they do business to pay Buzz.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
WisconsinAggie...

The problem is that the details of Buzz's contract have not been leaked because it is so new, and isn't make available to the public since MU is private.  So no one here has the ability to definitively prove or disprove the tweat.

That being said, Buzz doesn't have an agent.  So while back-channel negotiations can always take place, it heightens the possibility that everything would be through official channels.

I really doubt Buzz leaves for the simple fact that he just signed his extention on March 30.  Simply put, he would be a complete con-man to leave six months later after saying all the things he has said publically about MU and the basketball job in that short a time-frame.  And that seems to go against what his public persona has been.

My guess is that it is just too soon for him to leave now.  That if this came up (or comes up again) three to five years from now that circumstances could be different.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
Oh and Rosiak has tweeted that he would be "shocked" if Buzz leaves for A&M.  He certainly knows the players more than any of us do.

bdee29

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »
I am a Marquette student. I was in the bank at the AMU this morning when I overheard an assistant basketball coach (who i'll keep unnamed for speculation's sake) talking very loudly and excitedly on the phone about moving to Meridian, Texas. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen in the not too distant future.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »
So is Chicago the neutral meeting site?

Nah, saw Bo Ryan at Riley's picking up a case of Bud Light.  Expect the meeting to be out in Middleton.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:59 PM »
I am a Marquette student. I was in the bank at the AMU this morning when I overheard an assistant basketball coach (who i'll keep unnamed for speculation's sake) talking very loudly and excitedly on the phone about moving to Meridian, Texas. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen in the not too distant future.

Yeah that Duncan Seawright Memorial Tractor Show is a real draw for basketball coaches.  

http://www.meridian-chamber.com/Event_Pages/Area_events.htm

Not too mention, I am sure Buzz will take his coaches to Meridien, so they can commute to College Station, 2 hours each way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:39:42 PM by reinko »