Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Turgeon Hired at Maryland  (Read 15728 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Turgeon Hired at Maryland
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »
I am a Marquette student. I was in the bank at the AMU this morning when I overheard an assistant basketball coach (who i'll keep unnamed for speculation's sake) talking very loudly and excitedly on the phone about moving to Meridian, Texas. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen in the not too distant future.

What a scoop!  That coach would have a 2 hour and 45 minute commute to College Station.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »
I understand the Texas connection, but if Turgeon felt the need to leave A&M for Maryland, I'm not sure it says that A&M is that great of a job.  

+1

Turgeon is trying to become the third best program in the ACC (they will never be 1 or 2).  Is he saying the potential of being #3 in the ACC is better than TAMU?  Does that sound like an upgrade after you turned down OK and Ark and have a big contract at MU?

The only way I see Buzz leaving is for what I think is the reason Crean left for IU ... the state of Wisconsin and the pipleine from Chicago heading north were not enough.  Crean left so he could develop a pipeline via the Indiana Elite AAU program.  

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5750525

Wisconsin seems to have nothing like this.  So, forget the weather and the desirability of living in Milwaukee.  Crean left because the state of WI cannot produce enough high D1 talent for MU (or UW for that fact) to create an automatic pipeline of high D1 recruits.

Need more Jamil Wilsons, JP Tokoto and Vander Blues coming out of WI.  IF not, then Buzz might do what Crean did, find a place that is easier to recruit because you can drive 30 minutes to see the recruits and not fly two hours.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:40:59 PM by AnotherMU84 »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
I am a Marquette student. I was in the bank at the AMU this morning when I overheard an assistant basketball coach (who i'll keep unnamed for speculation's sake) talking very loudly and excitedly on the phone about moving to Meridian, Texas. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen in the not too distant future.

Ah, ok, I'll bite - what does this have to do with A&M?

bdee29

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »
2 hours from home is a little easier than a 2 day drive or a flight. Texans always regard that state as home. I'm just saying what I witnessed.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »
Yeah that Duncan Seawright Memorial Tractor Show is a real draw for basketball coaches. 

http://www.meridian-chamber.com/Event_Pages/Area_events.htm

Not too mention, I am sure Buzz will take his coaches to Meridien, so they can commute to College Station, 2 hours each way.

Maybe Coach Buzz is putting his assistants up at Meridian Apartments in College Station?  904 sq.ft. for $675 a month!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
What a scoop!  That coach would have a 2 hour and 45 minute commute to College Station.  

Indeed!  If he is a student, throw him out for stupidity!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »
2 hours from home is a little easier than a 2 day drive or a flight. Texans always regard that state as home. I'm just saying what I witnessed.

But Buzz is the only one on the coaching staff who is actually from Texas...so none of the assistant would be moving "home."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »

Wait ... are you suggesting that an assistant coach at Texas A&M would live in Merdian and commute more than four hours to work every day?

We're just saying you probably didn't witness what you think you witnessed.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:18 PM »

Seeing that this was your first post back during the season.  It now explains a lot.

I'm personally offended by this thread and other students will be too. As a student that made minimum wage last summer, I spent $100 of my hard earned money on basketball tickets. I sat outside for 5 hours in 15 degree weather before the wisco game. I went to 2/3 ncaa tournament games. I cheered my ass off for this team. That being said, Buzz should feel lucky about how much support he got with the way this year's team underachieved.

Look at the student section in the Syracuse game. major homecourt advantage. Notre Dame game was over break and there was a tremendous turn out. UCONN game was on a tuesday and had a great turnout. the mile walk to the BC isnt made any easier in the dead of wisconsin winter (maybe the alumnus/i that wrote this didnt take that into account on the 5 min walk from their warm mercedes to the arena) Not to mention, our arena is wayyy oversized for our undergrad population.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »
 Crean left so he could develop a pipeline via the Indiana Elite AAU program.  

Seriously....do you really believe what you write sometimes? He left for IU to develop a pipeline with an AAU program that was ALREADY supplying talent to IU for more than 3 decades?

I guess I would rate the fact he makes more money at IU than MU, the state produces way better talent than Wisconsin, his roots are in the Big Ten, the Big Ten conference is much more stable than the Big East long term, Indiana is one of the 5 or 6 greatest programs of all-time, they are THE state school in the state, he went to a Final Four with MU...what else could he accomplish at MU that is likely to happen, etc, etc

Developing a pipeline with an AAU program that already existed going back to Bobby Knight...come on.  Yes, it's part of the whole talent pool in the state, but that is hardly the top reason he left for IU.

LON

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
Seriously....do you really believe what you write sometimes? He left for IU to develop a pipeline with an AAU program that was ALREADY supplying talent to IU for more than 3 decades?

I guess I would rate the fact he makes more money at IU than MU, the state produces way better talent than Wisconsin, his roots are in the Big Ten, the Big Ten conference is much more stable than the Big East long term, Indiana is one of the 5 or 6 greatest programs of all-time, they are THE state school in the state, he went to a Final Four with MU...what else could he accomplish at MU that is likely to happen, etc, etc

Developing a pipeline with an AAU program that already existed going back to Bobby Knight...come on.  Yes, it's part of the whole talent pool in the state, but that is hardly the top reason he left for IU.

Just because your flare was lit doesn't mean you have to come in and start the fire.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »

I guess you have never been to Texas, or if you have, you were not paying attention.

Buzz is from Greenville Texas.  Meridian Texas is 152 miles away and you would have to drive right through the middle of Dallas to get their.  3 or 4 hours.

College Station is 231 miles from Greenville.
Norman Oklahoma is 204 miles. 

This is like someone moving to Milwaukee to be close to Wauasau (188 miles).  Closer but your not really home.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »

Not only is Buzz leaving, but he's hiring Tall Titan for his staff down there?

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »
How about we give some props where it is due....to MU Administration for locking up Buzz Williams, early, after the season ended?   That is why I have no fear of Buzz leaving for Texas A&M.   Those that felt the new contract was premature hopefully feel much better about it today.  I would have to think that the sheer amount of the financial commitment by MU would come with a financial handcuff that would make it tough for a school like A&M to get Buzz.   Also, unless Buzz is a total d-bag, unethical hypocrite, he would not go at this point.  If he is truly humbled that MU not only gave him a shot by hiring him but then stepped up and put him into another economic stratosphere....leaving several weeks after such statements and signing a new deal would move him from genuine, authentic caring character to never trust again snake oil salesman...which eventually does have impact on your reputation and trying to sell yourself to recruits.    

Also, how about some dump on the other Williams that started this all by resigning at a point in time that not only puts his program in peril the next few years but starts a chain reaction of negative impact on several other programs (such as the one not named Marquette that will lose their head coach to Texas A&M when spring signing period is wrapping up...and so on down the line).   Nice world this college athletics has become...

leever

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »

Just curious - did you also see Gerald Boyle on campus and/or any 6'3" basketball recruits lately?

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw something like that.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
Not only is Buzz leaving, but he's hiring Tall Titan for his staff down there?

Boom. Roasted.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
This guy has a whopping 3 posts but nevertheless, would TAMU offer Benford or Collins the job?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:07:22 PM by radome »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
This guy has a whopping 3 posts but nevertheless, would TAMU offer Benford or Collins the job?

I would be pumped for either coach if that were the case!

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
Texas A&M is evil and must be destroyed

Surely a man of faith would not go to such a place!

WisconsinAggie

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
The latest from our A&M guru:

RT @billyliucci: Things seem to be moving very quickly on the A&M coaching front ... Buzz Williams the target.

We're hearing there is actually a good chance at this (interest from Buzz) if we can come close to the 2.5-3 mil he is guaranteed now.

Still think this may be a "pipe dream" hire.

Another Update:

billyliucci:  We'll know quickly if Buzz is considered 'attainable' by TAMU. If so, he emerges as your No. 1. If not, another name immediately surfaces
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:28:19 PM by WisconsinAggie »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »

We're hearing there is actually a good chance at this (interest from Buzz) if we can come close to the 2.5-3 mil he is guaranteed now.

Still think this may be a "pipe dream" hire.

Another Update:

Whichever it turns out to be, I think we can all agree that the faster we pull this band-aid off the better!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »

Is it me or is this exact same line from reporters in Oklahoma when OU had the vacancy?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
I would have to think that the sheer amount of the financial commitment by MU would come with a financial handcuff that would make it tough for a school like A&M to get Buzz.  

Does anyone know whether the buyout number was increased in the contract renewal?

One thing that we should all have learned from the annual coaching carousel is that the length of the contract is far less important than the size of the buyout.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »

Hilarious. Son, around here you might want to use teal. Otherwise people might take you seriously.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
The #2 job in Texas is Oklahoma.  A&M would have to considerably alter how they do business to pay Buzz.

This is absolutely right.

Radiotalkshowguy in KC (the heart of Big 12 country, even the Texas part) cracked wise that basketball is the No. 3 sport at Texas A&M. Football is No. 1, and Spring Football is No. 2, he said.

Buzz might go home, but if he does, it will be more about going home than anything else.