Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Turgeon Hired at Maryland  (Read 15727 times)

MARQKC

• Starter
Re: Turgeon Hired at Maryland
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2011, 03:49:06 PM »
I am a Marquette student. I was in the bank at the AMU this morning when I overheard an assistant basketball coach (who i'll keep unnamed for speculation's sake) talking very loudly and excitedly on the phone about moving to Meridian, Texas. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen in the not too distant future.

Is it finals week? I remember being addle-brained during finals week. Actually, I don't. What they say is true: If you remember the '60s, you weren't there. I was there. I think.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
SI's Luke Winn tweets:

To get Buzz, A&M would have to pay mid-$2MM buyout, plus beat his 7yr, $2MM+ per rollover deal. Can't see it happening.

He later said Buzz has no "out" clauses for particular schools.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »
We're hearing there is actually a good chance at this (interest from Buzz) if we can come close to the 2.5-3 mil he is guaranteed now.

You are going to have to excuse us, but we heard just two months ago that Buzz was heading to Oklahoma for sure...only to have it turn out that he never really considered them.

So let me just say that I have my doubts.

WisconsinAggie

• Walk-On
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Yup, it's now sounding like Buzz is simply out of A&M's price range.  Good luck next season, MU!  Like I said, I'd like to come over from Madison and check out a game sometime.  Wish us luck on getting the "right guy" at A&M.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
I am a Marquette student. I was in the bank at the AMU this morning when I overheard an assistant basketball coach (who i'll keep unnamed for speculation's sake) talking very loudly and excitedly on the phone about moving to Meridian, Texas. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen in the not too distant future.

"People are talking about it on campus, but it's hard to determine what's true and what's false,"

This appears to be your take on every situation related to MU basketball...

http://www.wisn.com/news/27363410/detail.html#ixzz1LzKweRHO

Tony

• Walk-On
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »
Hi guys.  I was reading this board to determine the feeling at Marquette.  You all represent your university well.  I would like to let you know that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Buzz is absolutely too expensive for Texas A&M and has been all along.  In all seriousness, this interest was sensationalized as a smoke screen and as leverage in negotiating with a second candidate whom I cannot name at this time.

If any of your friends, or my fellow Aggies, are dumb enough to bet you.  Bet a large amount on Buzz staying at Marquette.  Even with the difference in taxes and cost of living, the salary would be too large for William Byrne.

In addition, the person who was overheard speaking about Meridian, Tx (if the account is accurate) is most certainly not headed to College Station.  Meridian is closer to Waco, home of the Baylor Bears and is a 3 hour drive from Texas A&M University.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2011, 05:05:05 PM »

I am pretty sure this is unrelated to the A&M angle, if true.  You sure it wasn't Midland?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Love Texas A&M University and everything the school is about.   Have friends who went there and you guys are a class act.

Good luck in the future search and go screw Alabama again and buy Nick Saban once you fire Sherman...that'd be my dream for you guys.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
Hi guys.  I was reading this board to determine the feeling at Marquette.  You all represent your university well.  I would like to let you know that you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Buzz is absolutely too expensive for Texas A&M and has been all along.  In all seriousness, this interest was sensationalized as a smoke screen and as leverage in negotiating with a second candidate whom I cannot name at this time.

If any of your friends, or my fellow Aggies, are dumb enough to bet you.  Bet a large amount on Buzz staying at Marquette.  Even with the difference in taxes and cost of living, the salary would be too large for William Byrne.

In addition, the person who was overheard speaking about Meridian, Tx (if the account is accurate) is most certainly not headed to College Station.  Meridian is closer to Waco, home of the Baylor Bears and is a 3 hour drive from Texas A&M University.

Thanks Tony.  Good luck on your search.  It's a good job and worth Buzz looking at, and maybe he will go there.  But Buzz does seem to like MU and like you suggest he is paid very, very well relative to his peers and his accomplishments.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
didn't bother to read all 4 pages so apologize in advance if this has already been said;
I sincerely doubt Buzz going anywhere w/ his almost 2mm annual, and in the middle of building a basketball court/gym addition onto his house.

Tony

• Walk-On
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »
^FWIW Midland is even further away from TAMU...and just about everything else on Earth.

Sherman is not in danger of being fired.  He's looking to field a top 10 team this year.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »
OK, then, the program is going down the tubes.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »
"People are talking about it on campus, but it's hard to determine what's true and what's false,"

This appears to be your take on every situation related to MU basketball...

http://www.wisn.com/news/27363410/detail.html#ixzz1LzKweRHO

Well done!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
^FWIW Midland is even further away from TAMU...and just about everything else on Earth.

Yes, but there is a job that just opened there for someone who may want to get back for family reasons. That person also had a job close to Meridian as well at one time. Maybe that person will end up in Lubbock.  Just asking....but it isn't related to the TAMU opening.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »

You are going to have to excuse us, but we heard just two months ago that Buzz was heading to Oklahoma for sure...only to have it turn out that he never really considered them.

So let me just say that I have my doubts.

I have sincere doubts, but I also don't recall anyone ever saying Buzz was for sure going to Oklahoma.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
Brent Zwerneman twitter:

"A&M's next basketball coach will not be Buzz Williams, verified. He's making too much at Marquette. Search continues."

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »

If you are this Tony Love, you lack room to tatoo Buzz Williams name on your back. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tony

• Walk-On
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
Midland is 2 hours from Lubbock.

As I said earlier, Williams has an incredible deal at Marquette. I'm happy for the man, as he parlayed a Sweet Sixteen run, interest from other programs (including Oklahoma and Tennessee) and the fact that Marquette was desperate not to lose a beloved coach twice in a matter of four years into an AMAZING contract. Not only is he making $2.5M per that escalates to $3M relatively quickly, there's also a $2.6M buyout and deferred payments towards the end of the deal. At one point, he will be making close to $4M annually. No one is hiring him away from Marquette unless he's willing to take a giant pay cut or unless the Warriors simply want to make a change, at which point they'll have to pay a very hefty sum.

What happened today is that the Aggies inquired, Williams reciprocated interest and the price tag was simply in another stratosphere. I would have liked the hire a lot but, for that money, A&M would have HAD to pursue other options that would qualify as monster, big-name hires.

This is one way to secure your coach!  Since clearly contract length and buyouts mean nothing in college athletics, you can pay the heck out of your coach, and the programs that are just trying can't compete.  Only the bigtime established programs have the want to pay a coach that highly.  A&M can afford it, but it doesn't work with our philosophy.  

I'm a Buzz fan, and can't wait to see Marquette tear it up next year.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »

As I said earlier, Williams has an incredible deal at Marquette. I'm happy for the man, as he parlayed a Sweet Sixteen run, interest from other programs (including Oklahoma and Tennessee) and the fact that Marquette was desperate not to lose a beloved coach twice in a matter of four years into an AMAZING contract. Not only is he making $2.5M per that escalates to $3M relatively quickly, there's also a $2.6M buyout and deferred payments towards the end of the deal. At one point, he will be making close to $4M annually. No one is hiring him away from Marquette unless he's willing to take a giant pay cut or unless the Warriors simply want to make a change, at which point they'll have to pay a very hefty sum.

What happened today is that the Aggies inquired, Williams reciprocated interest and the price tag was simply in another stratosphere. I would have liked the hire a lot but, for that money, A&M would have HAD to pursue other options that would qualify as monster, big-name hires.

This is one way to secure your coach!  Since clearly contract length and buyouts mean nothing in college athletics, you can pay the heck out of your coach, and the programs that are just trying can't compete.  Only the bigtime established programs have the want to pay a coach that highly.  A&M can afford it, but it doesn't work with our philosophy. 

I'm a Buzz fan, and can't wait to see Marquette tear it up next year.

+1

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »

Tony...I am not talking about Buzz per the "student's scoop"...but the assistant who wants to get back to Taxas.  Has nothing to do with A&M or Buzz.  EOS.

Let's see what is announced after the close of the signing period.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
Tony...I am not talking about Buzz per the "student's scoop"...but the assistant who wants to get back to Taxas.  Has nothing to do with A&M or Buzz.  EOS.

Let's see what is announced after the close of the signing period.

Maybe he'll pass the (mon)-Arch in St. Louis on his way.

Tony

• Walk-On
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »

I understand.  I guess my point is that whoever is going to Meridian or Midland (or any other town that starts with M) is likely going there to coach high school basketball or pursue a different career altogether.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
What happened today is that the Aggies inquired, Williams reciprocated interest and the price tag was simply in another stratosphere.

If true, as MU fans we ought to send Gary Williams a nice retirement card thanking him for making the decision in May instead of March.