Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Turgeon Hired at Maryland  (Read 15751 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Turgeon Hired at Maryland
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
Sounds like it's official....let's see how long it takes for the Buzz to A&M rumors to start.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Maryland-hires-Mark-Turgeon-as-next-head-basketball-coach-050911

nyg

• All American

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
Re: Turgeon Hired at Maryland
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
Sounds like it's official....let's see how long it takes for the Buzz to A&M rumors to start.

It's been all over the Internet today that Buzz would be a top pick by A&M if Turgeon moves to Maryland.

It's Texas.  If Buzz goes he goes.  There's not much we can do to keep a guy away from his home.

That being said, Buzz has been nothing but loyal to MU.  I'll take him at his word that he's staying.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
Dallas Morning News already stating "Buzz Williams as logical replacement" but made note that he turned down Okl. and signed a hefty deal.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »
What do you guys think will happen with Faust/Bruenig after this hire?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
Could get ugly. Might have to make a move for Phil Jackson.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
Wow, just when I thought this was over, they pull me back in (terrible play on words Godfather III). Anyways i definatly see him going. AAARRRGGHHHH.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
Buzz has a history with the Aggies having been an assistant there. Probably still knows a whole host of folks there. This, in all likelihood, will not be a long drawn out affair either way.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Not really worried....A&M cares little about basketball.

Dolla Bill is pretty good at up and coming hires and has built up the athletic program as a whole since coming from Nebraska but I really see him going for a prospect than getting in a bidding war with us.

Plus they've got to save up for when they fire Mike Sherman to buy Nick Saban and screw Alabama again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:52:58 PM by Stone Cold »

Norm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »
As I said in another thread, I could easily see Buzz jumping to A&M. It's home, his family is a lot closer, he already has good ties with high school, AAU and JUCO coaches in the area, and he'd have the opportunity to put A&M basketball on the map. I think we'll find out soon enough one way or the other.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
Here's the DMN story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20110509-mark-turgeon-leaving-texas-am-accepts-maryland-coaching-offer.ece

One thing I've learned in 31 years of living in Texas....don't ever guess what A&M might do when it comes to sports....and remember that their women's team just won the NC.....more reason than ever for them to up the ante in the mens' program.

Agree, this should be answered quickly from the Buzz point of view but don't be surprised if they offer to throw crazy money his way.....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:01:52 PM »
Cock-sucker Katz comes through as always:

Texas A&M will likely first target Marquette's Buzz Williams to replace Turgeon. Williams was a former Aggies assistant under then-coach Billy Gillispie. But Williams will be tough to pry away from Marquette after receiving a new contract and coaching the Golden Eagles into the Sweet 16 last March.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
Cock-sucker Katz comes through as always:

Texas A&M will likely first target Marquette's Buzz Williams to replace Turgeon. Williams was a former Aggies assistant under then-coach Billy Gillispie. But Williams will be tough to pry away from Marquette after receiving a new contract and coaching the Golden Eagles into the Sweet 16 last March.

What's so bad about that?
A&M almost certainly will make a play at Buzz. And Buzz almost certainly will be tough to pry away. If anything, this is a positive report for MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »
Tough, but not impossible. Bet A&M has been in contact already, directly or indirectly. Maybe I'll check out his hood in The Quon.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
If it was just this report I wouldn't say anything but when Katz throws out Buzz's name for every coaching change south of the Mason Dixon (remember Buzz and his arkansas ties???) it gets ridiculous, especially with his past history with Crean.  

It's nice for him to speculate rather than wait till he hears something from someone.  But that's what 24/7 "reporting" needs now a days.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »
Tough, but not impossible. Bet A&M has been in contact already, directly or indirectly. Maybe I'll check out his hood in The Quon.

If he's building a bonfire we're f**ked.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
Buzz makes more money then A&M football coach Mike Sherman.......Hard to see this happening but I guess you never know.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
I see smoke north of here.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
I understand the Texas connection, but if Turgeon felt the need to leave A&M for Maryland, I'm not sure it says that A&M is that great of a job.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
Turg makes 2.5 now at Maryland, if A&M didn't want to compete with that than not sure Buzz is that much more of a sure thing for that price.   They might as well have gone after Turg.  If they did compete but Turg just prefers DC recruiting and the area then we may have to worry about them getting a basketball appetite.

I really don't think that is the case, A&M couldn't fill the gym when Gillispie was doing magical things.   A&M attendance was  south of 10k of 13 k Reed Arena this past year with 3 consecutive NCAA tourney teams.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
If he's building a bonfire we're f**ked.

Why?  Is Buzz God or something?  He said he wouldn't leave. If he does, then he's just like every other coach.  We will find someone else and one would hope with Midwest ties that plans on staying in the Midwest. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »
Yeah, let's put a shout out at Brad Stevens crib.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
Eh, Texas A&M is not a dream job and Buzz has something going here...and he's making a lot of money. I'm not too worried about him leaving.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »
Yeah, let's put a shout out at Brad Stevens crib.

He could make a brief stop here while waiting for the IU job to open up.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
Buzz would really hurt MU by leaving now, this late.  MU would be hard pressed to find the right man, just like
Hank had to do when Rick left.  MU took a big gamble on Buzz, his loyalty at this point in his career should be
to MU, even gave him an outstanding contract for a third year coach, seriously $2M A YEAR.  There will be a lot
of opportunities for Buzz to do whatever he wants in the future, right now it is at MU.  Every coach that left MU
lately as found out it is not been that great.  TC  will turn it around at IU but it will take 6 years or so to do that
and there is no guarantee  that will happen!