Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game  (Read 11306 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »

Butler doing it again this year. Pitt goes down in a stunner.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
Re: Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
unbelievable
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
Stunner is right.  Busted my sheet.  Sheeet.
Ludum habemus.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
2 stupid fouls.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »
2 stupid fouls.

First one was stupid.  Second one was incomprehensible.  Just bizarre how this one ended.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
Never seen anything like that.  Pitt's last possession and they run clock down, no shot and have a shot clock violation.

Then the stupid Butler foul by Mack.

Then the missed free throw by Pitt's Gilbert Brown.

Then the most stupid, stupid foul by Nasir Robinson.  WTF?????

Can't imagine what the Pitt fans are going through now.  Good grief.  

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »
Their board is in utter meltdown right now.

groove

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »
Big east comes up big again

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
How did we ever lose 9 Big East games?  

Watching this tournament, you would be convinced that the Big East has the dumbest coached teams on Earth.  What is up with Pitt waiting until there are 6 seconds left on the shot clock to initiate offense in a game when you're only up one when your opponent will have plenty of time to score if you miss?  Despite how dumb that was, they had the even more idiotic foul at the end.  Why did Nova refuse to play offense down the stretch?  Why did Louisville put on the brakes when they got the lead?

I'm sorry, but Butler is not some special tough 8 seed.  They are not that good.  Pitt gagged it, as did Louisville, as did Villanova.  WVU got beat by a better team, but they imploded down the stretch, too.  I don't care what the computers say, the Big 10 teams don't choke like this.  You think Ohio State would be in a nail biter with Butler?  You think Wisconsin wouldn't have handled Morehead State?  You think MIchigan would have lost to George Mason?  I don't.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:49:07 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
Refs are morons.  Swallow your whistle and let the players decide the game in OT. 

The call against Mack was blatant and directly affected Brown's ability to get a shot off, but the foul after the missed FT????  Give me a f*ckin break ref!
No Finish Line

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
he hacked him. isn't that a foul?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »
Big east comes up big again

interesting Sir Charles, blowhard that he may be, has been saying all along BE is way overated. This tourney may make his argument.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
Refs are morons.  Swallow your whistle and let the players decide the game in OT. 

The call against Mack was blatant and directly affected Brown's ability to get a shot off, but the foul after the missed FT????  Give me a f*ckin break ref!

That was as clear of a foul as you get.  Not only did he shove the guy, but he also slapped him straight across the arm.  Dumbest foul I've ever, EVER seen in my life.  After what Mack just did, isn't the ONLY thing on your mind DO NOT FOUL!?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »

While I could understand swallowing your foul, he committed a foul.  No reason to even be that close.  Never, ever give the official a reason to blow the whistle.  Howard was just throwing the ball away to go to OT.  Robinson had no business grabbing his arm.  Beyond stupid.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
While I could understand swallowing your foul, he committed a foul.  No reason to even be that close.  Never, ever give the official a reason to blow the whistle.  Howard was just throwing the ball away to go to OT.  Robinson had no business grabbing his arm.  Beyond stupid.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue it wasn't a foul, but the ref has to understand context in my opinion and that foul had no bearing on the end result.  The ref should use discretion and understand the game was set to be decided by the plyers in OT.
No Finish Line

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »

How could he not call that foul after the one before it?  That was such a blatant, obvious foul he had to call it.  I was rooting for Pitt but I didn't have a problem with that call.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
Was hoping Pitt would win because they are athletic enough to cause problems for  dook.....hate to see the way this is unfolding for k and dook once again.....

groove

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
A big east team has not won the NCAA title since 2003, which was also the last time they had anyone in the championship game. Maybe beating up on each other in the regular season is taking it's toll by the post season.

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
Take it to ot. That last foul on Howard was awful. Wouldn't have gotten any shot off. Ref needs to be fired. Awful.

Regarding coaching...dioxin blew it.

Big east ball is different bc it is so physical-which I like. You get the wrong officials, though...and they can beat...as we've seen.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
Honestly, there is no reason for Pitt's players to even be on the line.  Stupid play by Robinson, but Dixon should have had them at halfcourt.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »
They should have let them play another session. That's no way to end a game in the tourny

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
Honestly, there is no reason for Pitt's players to even be on the line.  Stupid play by Robinson, but Dixon should have had them at halfcourt.

Before the foul shots, I wondered what Dixon would do.  If he made the first, play it safe as you said or keep them on the line for a tip in of a missed FT at the buzzer.  If he missed the first, I would have expected the guys on the line, as OT is not a given.

Those officials were calling it much tighter than they do in the BE.  That would be an argument to move them off the line, as you stated.  I suspect Dixon will be grilled for that decision.

A lot of goats to go around in that one.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »

Okay.....But if Brown misses the second and Pitt wins on a tip in is Dixon a genius for not having his players back on defense?

It wasn't a mistake by Dixon, it was just an idiotic play by Robinson.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 09:09:52 PM »
Take it to ot. That last foul on Howard was awful. Wouldn't have gotten any shot off. Ref needs to be fired. Awful.

Regarding coaching...dioxin blew it.

Big east ball is different bc it is so physical-which I like. You get the wrong officials, though...and they can beat...as we've seen.

If it's a foul with 10 minutes left in the first half, it's a foul with 1.2 seconds left in the game.  Don't call the game based on the time on the clock.  Stupid play by Pitt to put the ref in that position.  

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
What will get lost in all of this is the outstanding last play drawn up by Brad Stephens. I thought that was a great drawn up play, they were going to drive and go inside no matter what, great great call.