Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game  (Read 11307 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »
What will get lost in all of this is the outstanding last play drawn up by Brad Stephens. I thought that was a great drawn up play, they were going to drive and go inside no matter what, great great call.

Excellent point and you are correct, it will get lost in all of this.  that was a fantastic play and they got a layup out of it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm not going to argue it wasn't a foul, but the ref has to understand context in my opinion and that foul had no bearing on the end result.  The ref should use discretion and understand the game was set to be decided by the plyers in OT.

That's a tough call in my opinion. I usually like to see them let guys play to determine the winner as well, but it was a blatant foul.

I think borderline ones you let go in that situation but this one was so obvious the ref probably just instinctively blew his whistle without thinking about the context...it was that obvious

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
Lost in all the commotion is that once again Pitt crashes in the tourney. I mean Butler? Didn't they get beat twice by UWM?
We all know Pitt has great talent. Obviously Dixon is doing something very wrong and needs to re evalute his entire  coaching method.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 10:15:16 PM »
Lost in all the commotion is that once again Pitt crashes in the tourney. I mean Butler? Didn't they get beat twice by UWM?

Exactly.  They were lucky to beat ODU.  That was a terrible loss.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »
Pitt might be one of the worst tourney teams

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
That's a tough call in my opinion. I usually like to see them let guys play to determine the winner as well, but it was a blatant foul.

I think borderline ones you let go in that situation but this one was so obvious the ref probably just instinctively blew his whistle without thinking about the context...it was that obvious

Awful call to end a game (and I was rooting for Butler). No way should a game be decided by a reach-in foul 90 feet from the basket with 1 second left. Yes, it was stupid to reach in, but that reach should not have had any effect on the game's outcome. Unfortunate ending.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 11:44:42 PM »
Awful call to end a game (and I was rooting for Butler). No way should a game be decided by a reach-in foul 90 feet from the basket with 1 second left. Yes, it was stupid to reach in, but that reach should not have had any effect on the game's outcome. Unfortunate ending.

If the refs were going to call a bump 50 feet from the basket with 1.4 seconds left, why wouldn't they call the same kind of foul 90 feet from the basket with .9 seconds left? This one's on Jamie Dixon big time. As Hards pointed out, once Brown made the first foul shot Dixon HAS to get his guys off the line. If he makes it you win, and the worst you can do is overtime. Dumb foul? Yes. But it never would have happened if Dixon didn't go absolutely brain dead.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 12:35:27 AM »
Should Pitt fire Jamie Dixon
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Norm

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 02:23:14 AM »
How did we ever lose 9 Big East games?  

Watching this tournament, you would be convinced that the Big East has the dumbest coached teams on Earth.  What is up with Pitt waiting until there are 6 seconds left on the shot clock to initiate offense in a game when you're only up one when your opponent will have plenty of time to score if you miss?  Despite how dumb that was, they had the even more idiotic foul at the end.  Why did Nova refuse to play offense down the stretch?  Why did Louisville put on the brakes when they got the lead?

I'm sorry, but Butler is not some special tough 8 seed.  They are not that good.  Pitt gagged it, as did Louisville, as did Villanova.  WVU got beat by a better team, but they imploded down the stretch, too.  I don't care what the computers say, the Big 10 teams don't choke like this.  You think Ohio State would be in a nail biter with Butler?  You think Wisconsin wouldn't have handled Morehead State?  You think MIchigan would have lost to George Mason?  I don't.
Yes, I think, Ohio State would have had a tough game with Butler, as I think they will struggle with George Mason tomorrow. Wisconsin would have lost to Morehead State on Thursday and yes, Michigann would have lost to George Mason on Friday. The Big ten lucked out by getting UNLV and Tennessee as first round opponents.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 02:40:51 AM »
Honestly, there is no reason for Pitt's players to even be on the line.  Stupid play by Robinson, but Dixon should have had them at halfcourt.

Yep

Robinson was a complete and utter moron to hack Howard in that situation given Howard had no chance to rebound the ball and then get off a decent shot of any kind.

That said, Dixon really brainfarted by not pulling his players off the line to where no chance of a foul could happen like an over the back or what ended up happen. One of the jobs of a head coach is to put his kids in a position where they can't even do something as stupid as Robinson did there.

With all the pressure involved with a close NCAA Tournament game, 18-21 year old kids/young men will just sometimes makes very dumb decisions, but a head coach can't get caught up in the moment like Dixon did there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »
Yes, I think, Ohio State would have had a tough game with Butler, as I think they will struggle with George Mason tomorrow. Wisconsin would have lost to Morehead State on Thursday and yes, Michigann would have lost to George Mason on Friday. The Big ten lucked out by getting UNLV and Tennessee as first round opponents.

Seriously?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 12:04:21 PM »
That said, Dixon really brainfarted by not pulling his players off the line to where no chance of a foul could happen like an over the back or what ended up happen. One of the jobs of a head coach is to put his kids in a position where they can't even do something as stupid as Robinson did there.

On the other hand, Pitt is one of the best rebounding teams in NCAA, Xavier is average at best.  I think Dixon saw a reasonable chance of getting the rebound on a miss.

The way Butler was playing, I'm sure Dixon didn't want to extend the game another five minutes.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
God I love Butler. Brad Stevens is an unbelievable coach
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »
On the other hand, Pitt is one of the best rebounding teams in NCAA, Xavier is average at best.  I think Dixon saw a reasonable chance of getting the rebound on a miss.

The way Butler was playing, I'm sure Dixon didn't want to extend the game another five minutes.

Total nonsense. Dixon played it the only way he could have lost in regulation. Brain dead.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »

Careful, you're liable to be called a racist here for enjoying SOUND, fundamental basketball.  I'm not even mildly joking either.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Decisions and actions by players dictate whether or not the coach is smart.   If the Pitt player doesn't suffer brain lock, Dixon looks better.    Rutgers had a complaint because the refs didn't officiate until the final buzzer.   The refs officiated until the final buzzer.    Both were fouls.   Both were unbelievably poor decisions.    Regardless of the outcome, the losing coach was going to be criticized for boneheaded plays by their team.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »

More like Shelvin Mack is an unbelieveable player.  Coaches get WAY too much credit or blame at this level of basketball for team performance.  Mack goes 7-12 from the 3 and hits some unbelievably tough/degree of difficulty 3's in that statistic..

Was Stevens a great coach when UWM beat them 2 times in the regular season??  Not trying to take everything away from the guy...but think we as fans can sometimes get too carried away with "coaching."  Talent wins/accounts for 85-95% of a teams wins - "coaching" the other 5-15%.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
Decisions and actions by players dictate whether or not the coach is smart.   If the Pitt player doesn't suffer brain lock, Dixon looks better.    Rutgers had a complaint because the refs didn't officiate until the final buzzer.   The refs officiated until the final buzzer.    Both were fouls.   Both were unbelievably poor decisions.    Regardless of the outcome, the losing coach was going to be criticized for boneheaded plays by their team.  

Absolutely the Pitt player made a poor decision, but he never should have been in the situation where his instinct to compete could cost his team the game. My first thought when Brown was fouled was if he makes the first one, move your players off the line. I can't believe that nobody on the Pitt staff had his head in the game. To me, that's the definition of a choke job.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »
Disagree.   If the missed free throw goes at a different angle and one of the Pitt player left on the line gets the tip, certainly possible considering their size and athleticism, Dixon is a genius.    The player messed up.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
Had pitt in the final 2... frustrated my bracket is all but done, Happy that I can cheer for underdogs from here on out

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »

Can't make that judgement.   He has only been head coach for 4 years. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
Can't make that judgement.   He has only been head coach for 4 years. 

Careful, you're liable to be called a racist here for enjoying SOUND, fundamental basketball.  I'm not even mildly joking either.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
UNC player (Henson?) just made an equally stupid play as anything in the Pitt game, but the Heels held on so it doesn't matter.   

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »
Shelvyn Mack isn't an unbelievable player......kid is a 33% 3 pt shooter with a 15 ppg average.    He had an unbelievable game, the pessimist in me would think he was on a PED, the optimist would say he just had a great game and was SO very on.

I'm probably a bit jaded though by football and baseball.   And just for discussion, increased t levels help your focus, aggressiveness,etc so I don't think a b-ball player would take anabolic steroids for physical gain as much as the mental edge it gives you.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »
Shelvyn Mack isn't an unbelievable player......kid is a 33% 3 pt shooter with a 15 ppg average.    He had an unbelievable game, the pessimist in me would think he was on a PED, the optimist would say he just had a great game and was SO very on.

I'm probably a bit jaded though by football and baseball.   And just for discussion, increased t levels help your focus, aggressiveness,etc so I don't think a b-ball player would take anabolic steroids for physical gain as much as the mental edge it gives you.

Mack was tremendous last year in their tourney run.  This season..when Butler was scuffling along..Mack lost his shooting touch for about 8 games...when Mack shoots well..Butler is VERY difficult to beat.  Much the same, just like MU - when DJO is going well...we are very tough to beat.  When DJO isn't going so well...well..all of a sudden our coaching sucks..and when he's going well...BUzz is a great coach because we usually win.  Just the nature of fans..