Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game  (Read 11305 times)

Norm

• All American
Re: Unbelievable ending to Butler-Pitt game
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »
God I love Butler. Brad Stevens is an unbelievable coach
I wish I could love Butler, but I found myself rooting against them. They remind me of WI in a lot of ways - they foul so much the refs let a ton of it go. The last three NCAA games they have played in they have gotten the majority of calls, almost Duke like. Just my opinion.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
I feel the same way about Butler.  Have a negative emotional reaction to them.  At least either Wisconsin or Butler will be out after next round.  That game has the potential to be one of the ugliest Sweet 16 games of all time.  The over-under is at 123.  If the teams are not hitting their threes, this could be a 36-33 game. 

Regarding the officiating, you know the refs have had a bad tournament when the head of officiating has to be on CBS twice within 24 hours.  Especially when he has to explain the end of that UNC game in his second appearance.  If the NCAA rule is that a ball is not out-of-bounds when it hits out of bounds, but rather when the ref blows the whistle, then that is possibly the stupidest rule of all time. 

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »
My house in Indy where I live is 5 minutes away from Butlers campus -- I grew up loving them, they are my second favorite team.

I know coaching isn't everything, but it is still something. He did lure these probably overlooked players to come to Butler and play together like a well oiled machine.

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
Yes, I think, Ohio State would have had a tough game with Butler, as I think they will struggle with George Mason tomorrow.
OSU is struggling all right.  I'm not sure they can hang on to that slim 26 point halftime lead.  George Mason is every bit as good as Butler, though they lack NCAA experience.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
OSU is struggling all right.  I'm not sure they can hang on to that slim 26 point halftime lead.  George Mason is every bit as good as Butler, though they lack NCAA experience.
Yep, that looks stupid now, but I said that not knowing that George Mason's best player would be sick and not playing against OSU. It was 20-26 about half way through the first half before OSU pulled away. 9-13 for 3's inthe first half is ridiculous for any team, let alone OSU.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2011, 05:43:11 PM »
I know coaching isn't everything, but it is still something. He did lure these probably overlooked players to come to Butler and play together like a well oiled machine.

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

I agree.  Coaching is big, and Brad Stevens is a very good coach.  Also, even without Hayward, the team is a special group of kids.  When they were down one with the last possession, you had to be fairly certain they were going to score, or at the very least get a great look.

Definitely don't think it was luck that they made it to the finals last year or beat Pitt.  I think Wisconsin will have its hands full next week.  It's strength on strength, and Butler has shown in the last year that they are as comfortable as any other team playing halfcourt basketball.  When you beat Pitt and MSU in back-to-back years in the half-court you have to be a great halfcourt team.

That being said, I usually find myself rooting against them.  Exceptions: Duke in the championship game and next Thurs.

feedback