'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Optimism levels...  (Read 8166 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Optimism levels...
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
Is everyone here a little less optimistic going into this tournament than the last 5?
Between the 14 loses, pg play, DJO consistency, FT shooting, closing out games and now the coaching talk, I think I'm more prepared for a bad showing tomorrow than in years past.  I'm hoping for the best, but I'm feeling my Denny Green quotes might make an appearance tomorrow night.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
Re: Optimism levels...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
we might not win but there won't be a bad showing. 

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
it's kind of nice to be the underdog for once, the last few years we've been the 6-7 matched up with a tough 10-11 seed. could be fun to play with nothing to lose...

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:42:22 PM »
I think MU wins two games this weekend. Just got a good feeling this year...tough draw of course, but these guys have played top notch teams all year and been right there. They finally get over the hump in the NCAA's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
I think MU wins two games this weekend. Just got a good feeling this year...tough draw of course, but these guys have played top notch teams all year and been right there. They finally get over the hump in the NCAA's.

I hope you're right, but I felt the same way last year. I want to get past the first one before I even think about Syracuse. And Syracuse flat out terrifies me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »
I been drinking since about 10am, so I am wicked optimistic!

/will be pounding 4 Loko when we win!

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
I been drinking since about 10am, so I am wicked optimistic!

/will be pounding 4 Loko when we win!

Nice, but are you still at Marquette? If so what happened to the 6AM start on St. Paddys day?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
I feel more optimistic.  Like Coach Buzz's use of the deep bench recently.  I can see an unexpected hero Friday like JC performed against WV.

I don't anticipate any alcohol consumption until tipoff.  :(

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
Nice, but are you still at Marquette? If so what happened to the 6AM start on St. Paddys day?

Nah, relocated to Boston after graduation in 2003...St. Paddy's is a city holiday out here...technically "Evacuation Day", always seems to land on March 17th though  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(Massachusetts)

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:31:35 PM »
I am not as confident because they have less talent and because I jet the feel Buzz is about to leave the program.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »
Nah, relocated to Boston after graduation in 2003...St. Paddy's is a city holiday out here...technically "Evacuation Day", always seems to land on March 17th though  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(Massachusetts)

you mpretty boys have more b.s. holidays...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
you mpretty boys have more b.s. holidays...

Just because Ziggy at your day job, and the chief jizz mopper at Bean Snappers doesn't give you off St. Pat's Day, is no reason to get mad me.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
Just because Ziggy at your day job, and the chief jizz mopper at Bean Snappers doesn't give you off St. Pat's Day, is no reason to get mad me.

i like that the auto-swear corrector turns m@sshole into "mpretty boys".

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »
i like that the auto-swear corrector turns m@sshole into "mpretty boys".

Agreed, don't forget Bunker Hill Day and Patriots Day.  And if you don't support these days, you hate freedom and the USA.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »
I see the game tomorrow roughly how the odds makers do, Xavier should be the favorite, but only a slight favorite. So i'd put the odds on Xavier winning at roughly 55/45.

I'll be surprised if say 4-5 minutes are left in the game that either team has more than a 6-7 point lead.

That said, after so many years of watching us lose heartbreaking close games in the Tournament, i'm conditioned to expect the worse in really close games. I'd probably rather see us lose by 10-12 points than see us lose another game in the last 20 seconds.

It's just easier for me to move on from losses of sports teams i cheer for when the other team wins convincingly because i can say, the clearly better team won today. Really close losses stick with me though, especially close losses decided in the last few seconds. Those can be very painful.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
I am excited and confident.  Headed to Schoolyard after work.  Got $50 on the game.  I am gonna have a blast.  If ya haven't been to Schoolyard for a Tourney game, all I will say is that it is as close as it gets to being at the game.  Everyone has their game face on watching the game.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
I am excited and confident.  Headed to Schoolyard after work.  Got $50 on the game.  I am gonna have a blast.  If ya haven't been to Schoolyard for a Tourney game, all I will say is that it is as close as it gets to being at the game.  Everyone has their game face on watching the game.

See you there. Pretty damn excited. Its a great atmosphere.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »
Jay Bilas (who I think is the best analyst on ESPN) just said MU v X game was going to be the most competitive tomorrow... HERE'S TO A BAD NIGHT'S SLEEP AND NOT GETTING ANYTHING DONE TOMORROW.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:05:14 AM »
I'm optimistic for tomorrow, not as much for Sunday.

Oh...and Buzz isn't going anywhere.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 01:18:18 AM »
I think we show up tomorrow and get beat by 10+ on Sunday.

The thing is, I wouldn't be upset with that, for the first time in 6 straight appearances. My expectations are low.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 06:06:54 AM »
I was extremely optomistic earlier in the week.  All this Buzz to ? talk has me a little concerned.  Do the guys hear it, feel it? and will it impact them?  The fact they left town on Tuesday may be a plus in that regard.  But this reminds me of the distraction that Mike Holmgren became during the Super Bowl against Denver.  Hope I am wrong and they come out with a chip on their shoulders.  Definitely a winable game and a team that we match up well against.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 06:25:49 AM »
Marquette will win.  It will be a tough game.   But the players will really play their hearts out.  Xavier won't know what hit them!  Go MU!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03:52 AM »
Low optimism.  We're the quintessential Washington Generals team.  We'll give Xavier a good run, and Jay Bilas can say it was a hard fought game, but in the end, the Globetrotters pull it out like they always do.

We've seen this movie before.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
More confident. This season few teams scare me. It is down year across the board and 20 teams or more capable to sneak into FF.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:11 AM »
I'm optimistic for tomorrow, not as much for Sunday.

Oh...and Buzz isn't going anywhere.

+1

Except I do believe we have as good a chance as anyone come Sunday...

feedback