'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Optimism levels...  (Read 8167 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Optimism levels...
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
Low optimism.  We're the quintessential Washington Generals team.  We'll give Xavier a good run, and Jay Bilas can say it was a hard fought game, but in the end, the Globetrotters pull it out like they always do.

We've seen this movie before.

willie? is that you?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »
Both Atlantic 10 teams won yesturday. Assuming we lose to Xavier that would make the Atlantic 10 3-0 in the first round. You could then assume we would have finished no better than fourth in Atlantic 10 and not even got an NCAA bid. The size of the Big East may actually be hiding how weak we are.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:02 AM »
Both Atlantic 10 teams won yesturday. Assuming we lose to Xavier that would make the Atlantic 10 3-0 in the first round. You could then assume we would have finished no better than fourth in Atlantic 10 and not even got an NCAA bid. The size of the Big East may actually be hiding how weak we are.

Don't follow that logic.  We lost to UCONN at home, so you could assume we would lose to UCONN on the road.  One game does not translate the way you would like it to be.  If we win, does that mean we would win the A10 Regular Season and Conference Tournament?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
Don't follow that logic.  We lost to UCONN at home, so you could assume we would lose to UCONN on the road.  One game does not translate the way you would like it to be.  If we win, does that mean we would win the A10 Regular Season and Conference Tournament?

It's just a way of being pessimistic and denigrating the program. Pretty common around here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
More optimistic than in years past for some reason. I think it's a game we can get. Worried about Syr though now that Fab seems to have awakened.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
Low optimism.  We're the quintessential Washington Generals team.  We'll give Xavier a good run, and Jay Bilas can say it was a hard fought game, but in the end, the Globetrotters pull it out like they always do.

We've seen this movie before.

That's about right. I'm tired of hearing MU as "the little team that could" in March. For once I'd like to hear them as "the team that did."

This is the first time I can remember since I've watched MU that I'm not excited about a tourney game. And I hate that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
Most responses in this thread sound like everyone is having a no good, very bad day. Its march, we're dancing. Save the sad posts for when we actually lose a game... not pregame.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »
Most responses in this thread sound like everyone is having a no good, very bad day. Its march, we're dancing. Save the sad posts for when we actually lose a game... not pregame.

+1

Abject positivity :)

Plus it's Friday.  Basketball alllll weekend! :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 12:49:29 PM »
Optimistic that MU wins a nail biter today.  I refuse to think of any games beyond today, this is the only one that matters.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »
There are a bunch of hairy wet cats who post on this board.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
There are a bunch of hairy wet cats who post on this board.

Or we've been fans of MU for 20+ years and seen the movie over and over and over again.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 01:47:43 PM »
Marquette by 8+ today. 

Close one on Sunday, but we beat SU by a few. 

So we advance further this year than we have since 2003.

Book it.

(How's that for optimism?).

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
Or we've been fans of MU for 20+ years and seen the movie over and over and over again.

Fans are supposed to support their team. A bunch of whining on the day of the biggest game of the year is pathetic. Be confident. Bitch if/when they lose. That's what real fans do. But, you'll give some "stop being a fanboy" response, as usual.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Fans are supposed to support their team. A bunch of whining on the day of the biggest game of the year is pathetic. Be confident. Bitch if/when they lose. That's what real fans do. But, you'll give some "stop being a fanboy" response, as usual.

Agree to disagree.

The question was how optimistic are you.

I fully support the team, does that mean that I think we will win every game?

uh uh.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
Agree to disagree.

The question was how optimistic are you.

I fully support the team, does that mean that I think we will win every game?

uh uh.

I am pretty optimistic. But even if I weren't, I wouldn't come on here and say "oh, they'll lose. Same old song and dance." More like, it'll be a tough match up for us tonight, hope we can keep it close and have a chance to win it in the last few minutes.

uh uh.

leever

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »
Boldfaced Bee Gee's references:

"You should be dancin' - - - Yeah!"

"Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother, you'll be stayin' alive, stayin' alive"

John Travolta loves MU!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
I am pretty optimistic. But even if I weren't, I wouldn't come on here and say "oh, they'll lose. Same old song and dance." More like, it'll be a tough match up for us tonight, hope we can keep it close and have a chance to win it in the last few minutes.

uh uh.

Sugarcoat it, but that doesn't change how you feel ;)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
Optimism turning to frustration...my PC catching a virus has me checking out 'Scoop on the girlfriend's laptop as I hope I can fix this problem myself. But the frustration of my PC suddenly becoming useless has me getting irritated in general, which does my hopes of an MU win no good. Need to get my PC fixed, then get out of the house so I can watch the game in peace.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »

I support this team, I said I thought we will win today...isn't that being optimistic?   That doesn't make me any less of a fan.  Are Raiders fans not loyal because they know they aren't going to the Super Bowl each year?  Please.

MU fans have seen their team go to the Sweet 16 twice in 25 years, there's a reason I said we've seen this movie over and over again...the movie is called Historical Reality and it's rated PG-13.  Ask mom if you can get an adult to accompany you to see it.   ;)   

I'll worry about Sunday after today.  I think we might have a shot on Sunday, but I wouldn't call anyone out here that says we're going to lose because that's going to be the conventional wisdom.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
I support this team, I said I thought we will win today...isn't that being optimistic?   That doesn't make me any less of a fan.  Are Raiders fans not loyal because they know they aren't going to the Super Bowl each year?  Please.

MU fans have seen their team go to the Sweet 16 twice in 25 years, there's a reason I said we've seen this movie over and over again...the movie is called Historical Reality and it's rated PG-13.  Ask mom if you can get an adult to accompany you to see it.   ;)    

I'll worry about Sunday after today.  I think we might have a shot on Sunday, but I wouldn't call anyone out here that says we're going to lose because that's going to be the conventional wisdom.

First of all, I wasn't even referring to you to begin with. You just respond to everyone as if they are speaking to you.

Pretty funny you think I am a kid. A 13 year old would be at school right now, no? Just another example of your douchebaggery.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:25:32 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
Would love to see Crowder turn into the "beast" that he was in January.  If he plays with intensity Marquette will win!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »
Would love to see Crowder turn into the "beast" that he was in January.  If he plays with intensity Marquette will win!

I blame my girlfriend on this one. Crowder's her favorite player. But she hasn't watched a game since the Seton Hall one at home. We were on vacation when his slump started against UConn, she was sick on Senior Night, and worked during the SHU finale and throughout the Big East tournament. Told her tonight when she left for work that she should call in sick because I didn't think Crowder would perform if she wasn't watching. Hope he finds a way...but if we advance, she's watching Sunday no matter what.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
Scheduling a vacation day for next week to watch MU in the sweet 16

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
Time to come together.  We ALL are optimistic, just to different degrees.  Even you pessimists are holding out some hope.

LET'S GO MARQUETTE!!!

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
At this moment I am very happy.
 A bunch of teams already are out of the tournament, ....this year we are ALREADY in the "second" round.
 TGIF, ...playing late on friday makes you feel "in it" a few hours longer, and already "superior" to those that have lost.
Hows that for optimism?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

feedback