[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011  (Read 73695 times)

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011
« Reply #500 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
Feels good to say that one...golden time for WI sports right now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #501 on: September 28, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
So here's a brain buster --- the Brewers want to pitch Greinke in game 2 at home and Marcum in game 3 on the road because of each pitcher's respective home/away splits.  Conundrum: the Brewers' best shot to gain home-field in the NLDS means you have to burn Greinke tonight, leaving him available to pitch game 3 on the road.  Ideally, Greinke only throws a bullpen session's worth of pitches tonight (how many is that? 20? 30?), and the Brewers build a lead early.

Obviously, the #2 seed is more important that lining up your rotation, especially since your 2 and 3 starters will only make one appearance in the NLDS.

Question 1) Let's assume Zach gives you three solid innings and is in a position to be pulled and saved for game 2 on Sunday... how many runs do the Brewers need to have in order to be comfortable pulling Zach understanding that you are going to have to cover four innings with the likes of Narveson, Dillard, Fiers, etc?

Question 2) Assume Greinke melts down and gives up a sizable lead early.  Do you pull him when he hits 30 pitches (or whatever the bullpen max is)?  If you do, he can pitch Sunday, and you still have a chance at home-field if the D-Backs lose.  Or do you keep him in and line him up for game 3 (considering that would likely be a home game).

Since it's my question (and - in a way - my thread as well)... I grant MM dispensation to respond as well if he so desires since it is a Greinke-related question.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #502 on: September 28, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
I think that you need to win tonight. I go back and forth, and if the 2 seed was just a difference in home field advantage, then I'd say screw it and set up your rotation. But since in this case, theres a very good chance that getting the 2 seed avoids the Phils in the first round, thats absolutely got to be your first priority. I think that if that means pushing Greinke back to game 3, and maybe taking a chance with their home/road splits, so be it. Those splits might be good numbers to base everything off with all other things being equal, but I'll bet that pitchers splits vs the Phillies as opposed to the Dbacks would be even more extreme.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #503 on: September 28, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
That's a good question.  The Brewers really hurt themselves by not capitalizing with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs in both the 8th and 9th on Monday (I think that was the case at least).  Win that game and we can play whoever we want wherever we want.  It also didn't help that the Dodgers had friggin 2 outs and nobody on up by 5 runs in the bottom of the 10th and lost that game.  Wow.  But we could've controlled Monday, not that game.  It also would've been nice if the Diamondbacks would've played a day game today.  But instead, I say you have to go all out.  Would love for the Braves to be the Wild Card and get them at home.  Avoiding the Diamondbacks would be nice, and the Braves are struggling to the finish.  It would be especially nice if they get in through a 1 game playoff.  Waste a pitcher, 1 day less of rest, and their day off is spent traveling to Milwaukee.

By the way, what a b!tch Reyes is.  Bunt for a single and then take yourself out of a game to try to win a batting title.  Here's to hoping Braun goes 4-4 to pass him.  Would serve him right.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #504 on: September 28, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »
Yeah, that sucked. I'm curious though how much winning the batting title would earn Reyes this offseason. Given the studies into how much more a player that hits .301 earns compared to one that hits .299, I wouldn't be shocked if it got him an extra year or some extra cash.  Naturally theres no way to empirically prove that one way or the other, just an interesting thought (though it shouldn't be and should be stupid/not matter).

PS, fwiw word on the street is that a 3/4 night would give Braun the title as well. I'm too dumb to know what a 3/5 would do.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #505 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
Yeah, that sucked. I'm curious though how much winning the batting title would earn Reyes this offseason. Given the studies into how much more a player that hits .301 earns compared to one that hits .299, I wouldn't be shocked if it got him an extra year or some extra cash.  Naturally theres no way to empirically prove that one way or the other, just an interesting thought (though it shouldn't be and should be stupid/not matter).

PS, fwiw word on the street is that a 3/4 night would give Braun the title as well. I'm too dumb to know what a 3/5 would do.

3-5 wouldn't get it done.  Needs to go 3-4, 4-4, 4-5, or 5-5.

I'm also loving Hairston at 3rd base.  Should've happened right when Rickie started playing entire games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #506 on: September 28, 2011, 05:17:10 PM »
Yeah, that sucked. I'm curious though how much winning the batting title would earn Reyes this offseason. Given the studies into how much more a player that hits .301 earns compared to one that hits .299, I wouldn't be shocked if it got him an extra year or some extra cash.  Naturally theres no way to empirically prove that one way or the other, just an interesting thought (though it shouldn't be and should be stupid/not matter).

3/4 makes it, 3/3 makes it.  3/5 fails.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #507 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
I feel great about the Crew being in, but can't believe that whining drunk La Russa and the Cardinals snuck in. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #508 on: September 28, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
Wow, what an incredible 5 ins of baseball. Unbelievable. Can not imagine being a Red Sox or Braves fan right now.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #509 on: September 29, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »

Not saying that I condone it, but doesnt he, ahead in the chase for the batting title, have the right to do what he wants about it? Its similar to the Yankees going out there and pitching everyone in their bullpen... they earned the right to do that.

Its not very sporting of Reyes, but lets face it... he is no Teddy Ballgame.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #510 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
Not saying that I condone it, but doesnt he, ahead in the chase for the batting title, have the right to do what he wants about it? Its similar to the Yankees going out there and pitching everyone in their bullpen... they earned the right to do that.

Its not very sporting of Reyes, but lets face it... he is no Teddy Ballgame.

Chances are Reyes has some sort of contract bonus built-in if he won a batting title... if so, hundreds of K's (and not the strike three variety either) may have been on the line.  A cheap move?  To us, yes.  To Reyes, quite the opposite.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #511 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
He has no incentives for a batting title.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #512 on: September 29, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
Chances are Reyes has some sort of contract bonus built-in if he won a batting title... if so, hundreds of K's (and not the strike three variety either) may have been on the line.  A cheap move?  To us, yes.  To Reyes, quite the opposite.

According to multiple reports, he had no financial incentives or bonus for winning a batting title.  Also quoted today he pulled himself for his teammates, so they could celebrate with him.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #513 on: September 30, 2011, 09:36:41 AM »
He has no incentives for a batting title.

Except the cache a free agent has when he can say he is the raining batting champ.  May get him an extra couple million in the offseason.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #514 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
Except the cache a free agent has when he can say he is the raining batting champ.  May get him an extra couple million in the offseason.

Maybe it will offset the several million he will likely lose because of his crappy hamstrings.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #515 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
According to multiple reports, he had no financial incentives or bonus for winning a batting title.  Also quoted today he pulled himself for his teammates, so they could celebrate with him.

I'm actually fairly certain that personal achievement incentives are prohibited from mlb contracts.  So its a weird thing where the batting title, stolen base title, etc can't be included in incentives whereas the cy young or mvp can. Because those latter awards are voted on and wouldn't play into individual decisions like Reyes', they can be used. It also explains why K-Rods incentive was for games finished, not games saved. Otherwise he might be incentivized to allow the occasional runner to transform non-save into save situations.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #516 on: September 30, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
Otherwise he might be incentivized to allow the occasional runner to transform non-save into save situations.

You can't create a save situation for yourself; the best you can do is blow a save and hope for a W.  He could create/destroy a save situation for others, but that wouldn't do him any good.

feedback